PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got Experience with a HOTAS COUGAR

BenvZijl
04-24-2005, 05:07 AM
anyone got experience with it cause it's alot easier for me to buy one then CH products.

BenvZijl
04-24-2005, 05:07 AM
anyone got experience with it cause it's alot easier for me to buy one then CH products.

Capt.LoneRanger
04-24-2005, 06:08 AM
I had to make the same decision myself a few month ago. My old CH Fighterstick-gameport was just too old (over 8 years) and I decided to get a newer stick. I wanted to get a CH HOTAS, but besides the tremendous price you pay for that companies products in Germany (Fighterstick & ProThrottle = 360+ ")I have a Thrustmaster-Support just 15km away. So my decision was to buy a Cougar and I definately didn't regret.
I got to say, that I "modded" my Fighterstick by replacing the springs with rudder bands, giving it a better transition, especially extending from the center. By that of course you break CH's guarantee. With the Cougar, this isn't - its guarantee includes modding and there are many excellent mods out there. Expensive, yes, but outstanding and unparallel.

But this is also a major thing about the discussions on almost every flight-sim-board. If you talk about the Cougar, you get fooled by comments from CH-users that you need those upgrades to make the stick work, etc. Nonsense. It's just that the Cougar is a very decent piece of equipment and once you have it, you want to make it even more real, get it even better.
There are also stories, that Cougars potentiometers get loose after 6 month. A clear misconception, IMHO. If you try the Cougar and see how accurate the thing works, how perfectly you can control how much input you give, you'll notice ANY decrease as you quickly get used to it. A good example: If you set the zoom-axis in LOMAC to one of the X45s axis, you see you cannot set the zoom-leve accurate. It simply moves back and forth the whole time, because of it's lack of precision. If you map it to one of the two additional axis of the Cougar, you can set any level perfectly and zoom is perfectly smooth. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Coming from a Fighterstick, I was used to for over 8 years (and it was still better than the X45), my favourite features about the Cougar are:
1. The additional axes (e.g. for prop-pitch, trim, rudder)
2. The additional "Chaff/Flare" Lever
3. The 2-step-trigger (excellent for using machineguns when half-way-pushed, fire all guns, when pushed full)
4. The better grip, compared to the Fightertick - The metal and the slightly shorter stick make it more comfortable and more real
5. Modability

To 5. I have to add, that I didn't buy one of those fancy stuff replacements for the original springs. I even smoothed down the springs on the Fighterstick, so of course the strong srpings of the cougar had to be replaced for my use. I did with some rubber-bands and it works perfectly, especially with the heavy stick.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask or send me a PM. A good address for any info: http://cougar.frugalsworld.com/ http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif