PDA

View Full Version : Dial vs Braodband

Latico
10-23-2004, 09:24 AM
I starting to get the feeling that those of us that are still restricted to Dialup connections are at serious dissadvantage at online fliying. At least that's the way it appears in FB. If this is the case, I'm really dissapointed.

I live a rural area and the phone company doesn't seem to be in any hurry to bring us DSL and there's no cable either. grrrrrr

GT182
10-23-2004, 09:34 AM
You should be ok with dialup. Tho hosting might be a problem IP to IP 0r on HyperLobby.

Just bug the heck out of your phone company to get DSL and have your friends do the same. After awhile they might just do something for you. I know Verison is now installing DSL where they never had it before.

csThor
10-23-2004, 09:42 AM
Well it's not always about technical limitations or lack of money. I still have a 56k Modem even though I could get DSL within a few weeks and could easiyl afford it. But I am a time-worker and my contract could be over tomorrow. I just prefer to be flexible and be online within a few days after a move (with a Modem) than maybe a few weeks (DSL).

Thud-487BS
10-23-2004, 09:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Latico:
I starting to get the feeling that those of us that are still restricted to Dialup connections are at serious dissadvantage at online fliying. At least that's the way it appears in FB. If this is the case, I'm really dissapointed.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I feel your pain. I was a dial-upr for a long time because that was the only thing available. Kinda makes you feel like a kid that nobody wants to play with. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

I personally think a lot of the problems associated with dial-ups in a game is not the player but large amounts of ground objects in the game.

It's been a long time since I've hosted any games. If I do, Dial-uprs are always welcome. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Latico
10-23-2004, 10:01 AM
Hosting a game isn't that much of a concern for me as I could easily send a mission to another player to host for me as a coop. But I've always had problems with lag when I join others in FB. I've got a 56K modem, but I only get about a 50K connection. I usually turn my graphics down for online play since I don't really need all the eyecandy to enjoy the game.

Where I live here in FLorida the zoning reguires a minimum of 5 acres to build a home on, even moble homes. Most of the folks around here have at least 10 acres. This make s for a rather sparse population. I think Alltel (my ISP) probably figures it needs X number of customers to make setting up a terminal porfitable. It might be hard for us to meet that minimum.

e5kimo
10-23-2004, 10:13 AM
good luck with downloading the rest(patch) of pacific fighters...

Latico
10-23-2004, 10:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I feel your pain. I was a dial-upr for a long time because that was the only thing available. Kinda makes you feel like a kid that nobody wants to play with. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or a setting duck. I alsways get my butt handed to me and the lag seems to always interfer with getting my own licks in. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I personally think a lot of the problems associated with dial-ups in a game is not the player but large amounts of ground objects in the game.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, having too much stuff going on in the game will definitely put a strain on systems. We saw this in Janes Fighters Anthology. Some guys just didn't know how to stop adding planes and ground objects into a mission. And FA didn't have near the graphics qualities that FB/AEP has.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It's been a long time since I've hosted any games. If I do, Dial-uprs are always welcome <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've never felt unwelcome, but not being able to keep up is always frustrating. I think my PC is stout enough to handle the game, OK. I think it's the slow data transfer in my connection that hurts me.

Latico
10-23-2004, 10:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by e5kimo:
good luck with downloading the rest(patch) of pacific fighters... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, that's another source of frustration. Some of you have made "movies" of your flights and I can't download them. In fact, just waiting for some of the threads in this forum that have allot of large screenshots is a hair puller. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

BlakJakOfSpades
10-23-2004, 11:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Latico:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by e5kimo:
good luck with downloading the rest(patch) of pacific fighters... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, that's another source of frustration. Some of you have made "movies" of your flights and I can't download them. In fact, just waiting for some of the threads in this forum that have allot of large screenshots is a hair puller. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ah yes, those good old dial up days *long sigh*

Thud-487BS
10-23-2004, 01:46 PM
There's also some other settings that can be adjusted that improves online performace. I'll have to dig up my notes to find them.

I switched from dial-up not too long after FB was released. I remember the comm setting allowed me to fly online without any poor performance issues many spoke of.

VW-IceFire
10-23-2004, 01:59 PM

I live a rural area and the phone company doesn't seem to be in any hurry to bring us DSL and there's no cable either. grrrrrr <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well thats always been the story. Once high speed broadband connections came about there was always an advantage between the guys who had it and the guys who didn't.

I was with 56k for a while more while my friends were all cable so I know how it feels. But they were always on top of the game with Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, and the other types of games that I played back then in online games. Still, it was fun being online in principle.

Until you get a broadband connection (and they are spreading) there isn't much that anyone can do about it. Its a technology spread to its maximum...its accessible but not quite adequate.