PDA

View Full Version : P-51D vs A6M Zero-Sen

I_0wN_You
03-17-2005, 06:06 PM
Im doing a term paper about the P-51D's superiority over the Japanese A6M "Zero". I was wondering if you guys could help me come up with some reasons why the P-51 is a better plane. Also, did the P-51D ever fight the A6M? If it did, was there any particular battle(s)? Thanks guys.

LW_lcarp
03-17-2005, 08:11 PM
Speed

EnGaurde
03-17-2005, 08:17 PM
split your paper into planes performance below 300kmh and above.

then do the same, referring to those speeds above and below 10,000 ft.

then the paper will write itself.

WTE_Dukayn
03-17-2005, 08:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EnGaurde:
then the paper will write itself. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not literally, of course. You'll have to do the actual writing yourself. It's a pain...

VW-IceFire
03-17-2005, 09:05 PM
Wow...well...why the comparison?

Its pretty easy to prove the P-51D's superiority over the A6M (say the A6M5). The P-51D is faster, generally tougher (except the engine), the firepower is regarded as better for fighter vs fighter encounters in the late war period (research .50cal ballistics vs the Type 99-2 20mm cannon), uhh...manuverability above 400kph IAS is generally better.

The Zero can't dive very well, doesn't roll very fast, uhh...yeah. There's a bunch more but those are good. Odd comparison...I'm not really sure of the Mustang fought the Zero very often or not. Maybe in the final months of the war?

Liquid-Koshed
03-17-2005, 09:17 PM
I dont know if comparisons were tested with later marks but here's an earlier test maybe some typo's in it (real test not compared with game)

P-51 Mustang vs. CAPTURED Zero 21

The P-51 was drawing 3000rpm and 43in manifold pressure from its take off and climb to 15000ft.
The low manfold pressure was due to the setting on the automatic manfold pressure regulator.(This was the early Allison-powered Mustang.)The Zero left the ground and reached its best climb speed approx 6sec before the p-51.

It also reached 5000ft approx 6sec before the Mustang.However,the P-51 accelerated sharply away from the Zero at 5000ft from a cruising speed of 250mph(217kt)IAS.

The climb from 5000 TO 10,000, and from 10,000
to 15,000ft produced the same results,having the Zero accelerate away from the P-51 in rate of climb.

At 10,000ft from a cruiseing speed of 250mph
(217kt)IAS,the Mustang again moved sharply away from the Zero, AND AT 15,000FT FROM A CRUISEING SPEED OF 240MPH(208kt)IAS the P-51 had the advantage over the Zero,but slightly slower than at 5,000 and 10,000.

The P-51 could dive away from the Zero at any time.During the test,the P-51's power plant failed to operate properly above 15,000ft,so the comparison was not continued above this altitude.

Japanese pilots had thier tactics well planned.Mustang pilots accepted that head-on attacks became a game of "chicken".Should the Japanese pilot have an altitude advantage in this type of encounter,he would level off just out off firing range of both aircraft.At that point he would spllt-s and generally end up on the tail of the Mustang pilot who often thought the Zero was breaking off the attack.

Should close-in maneuvering be the option selected by the Mustang pilot at this point of the encounter ,the Japanese pilot immediately had the advantage because of the difference in maneuverabilty between the two fighters.

Source: Zero by Robert C. Mekesh

ive taken a few pointers from this:
1.they were early types
2.dont turn fight a Zero
3why do i keep getting shot down by Zeros?
4.having a beer
5.Going to bed