PDA

View Full Version : Drifting further away from AC1

Jack-Reacher
11-28-2010, 02:47 AM
Don't get me wrong I love AC2 and ACB, probably more than AC1. However the structure is getting kinda messy. For instance I never really noticed the change in districts in this game, I never knew when I was leaving or entering a new district or when I had unlocked a new one. But my main gripe is the main assassinations.

For one, the confessions are getting worse. I laughed at Vieri in AC2 when he said "im sorry, were you expecting a confession?" it was like they were mocking me. Then I assassinate The Executioner, and I get NOTHING?! Seriously the confessions in AC1 actually put me doubts in my mind. The Templars sacrificed a few for a greater good, the assassins killed them for this to save more people, yet they are doing exactly what the templars are doing.

Finally, the build up to main assassinations is lacking a lot. I liked gathering information about my target in AC1, I just didnt like HOW it was done. I liked going through the memory log and scouting out the location before hand, looking at maps and figuring out an escape route and such before starting the mission. In these last two games I end up stumbling blindly towards my target with no idea what im doing or where im going and inevitably getting seen in the process. I think a perfect mix between build up to assassinations and fun side missions is in order.

btw for those THB members I also posted it on our site

drama618
11-28-2010, 02:55 AM
I agree in most of what you said. Bad guys come to quickly and go to fast for me to gain any real attachment to them. Sometimes, I don't even understand why I need to kill a certain person. I don't agree that there should be a confession. It simply doesn't seem realistic that my target would still be talking after I stabbed him in the throat.

Jack-Reacher
11-28-2010, 03:04 AM
Thats fair enough. I know its not realistic at all, or maybe someone out there can explain exactly how it works but I liked that feature in AC1.

To be honest, I dont even know which assassinations were main assassinations. I would be doing a missions like normal, kill some random and then suddenly I will be taken to the memory corridor for a "confession", thinking "Wait, that was a main assassination?"

The only one I can remember clearly was The Banker, I will admit this was alright, had some build up missions to it but still I was stumbling around blindly with no clue what I was doing.

Don't even get me started on the assassination in the collisuem during the play, that had the worst scripting and restrictions I had ever seen, it was like they were laughing at you. Now go here! Ha, now walk to that exact spot! Ok fine we have had our fun playing with you, you can kill him now.

Really? *Walks straight up to him and stabs him without any resistance

BootBlade
11-28-2010, 04:09 AM
Maybe in the next game they should have it as an option? Like you get to choose. Although, they did add a skip cinematic button so people shouldn't have to complain. But I think if it was still being done throughout these games that formula would be more tired. The first game is about setting up this war between Assassins and Templars, and the Templars think they are only achieving the greater good, it has been established and doesn't really need to be expanded upon.

Mynimoe
11-28-2010, 05:43 AM
I think you guys are all bonkers.

I see it like this.

Ezio is suppose to be a master assassin. meaning he has probably killed hundreds if not thousands. his targets would seem to fly past him....hence the short assassinations. However every once in a while he would come across a major target.....as seen with the banker, the baron etc etc. I also found that these particular assassinations were harder and way funner.

Also ubisoft even said that this one would have a slight focus on open conflict given the introduction to the ability to call in other assassins.

MaciejMarchewka
11-28-2010, 06:13 AM
umm. i dnt know if im right here but i think that Ezio in AC2 was driven by revange?so he really didnt care who was the person as long as they were somehow connected to Pazzi and later Templars.
in AC1 Altair had a different motives he was an assassin fighting with Templars. so he had to work as 1 (plannin assassinations and ect.) and Ezio had a free hand he could go straight forward or being stealthy.(in the end it comes to what player are you)

i think everything in AC games is planned to work just good for everyone of us http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

MuddledMuppet2
11-28-2010, 06:17 AM
I did like the idea of having to do some background work before the main assassinations tho, a bit of pre-planning etc, just as has been pointed out tho it wasn't implimented terribly well.

I'd like to see that concept developed further if possible in future assassins creeds.

Oh and I LIKE the 'confessions', definately adds something to the experience and makes them stand ot from the countless assassinations of guards etc

Jack-Reacher
11-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by BootBlade:
Maybe in the next game they should have it as an option? Like you get to choose. Although, they did add a skip cinematic button so people shouldn't have to complain. But I think if it was still being done throughout these games that formula would be more tired. The first game is about setting up this war between Assassins and Templars, and the Templars think they are only achieving the greater good, it has been established and doesn't really need to be expanded upon.

Im not so much talking about the story, but the way the main assassinations are handled

You don't get as much freedom or preparation in this game.

Jack-Reacher
11-28-2010, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Mynimoe:

I see it like this.

Ezio is suppose to be a master assassin. meaning he has probably killed hundreds if not thousands. his targets would seem to fly past him....hence the short assassinations. However every once in a while he would come across a major target.....as seen with the banker, the baron etc etc. I also found that these particular assassinations were harder and way funner.

Also ubisoft even said that this one would have a slight focus on open conflict given the introduction to the ability to call in other assassins.

Just because Ezio is a master assassin doesnt mean he doesnt need preparation, and that isnt really my point either, what im talking about is lack of freedom in assassinations and build up towards them.

Just because ubisoft announced they were changing the style doesnt mean I have to like it. The assassins and arrow storm imo is the most cheap thing you can do in this game but thats another topic

Radman500
11-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Jack-Reacher:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mynimoe:

I see it like this.

Just because Ezio is a master assassin doesnt mean he doesnt need preparation, and that isnt really my point either, what im talking about is lack of freedom in assassinations and build up towards them.

Just because ubisoft announced they were changing the style doesnt mean I have to like it. The assassins and arrow storm imo is the most cheap thing you can do in this game but thats another topic </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

gathering info in ac1.. was lame... im sorry, but i was so bored doing all that stuff, cause it was the same thing, pick-pocket, eavesdropping....

assassins arn't suppose to do that, there suppose to kill there enemy, quickly NO QUESTIONS ASKED

Jack-Reacher
11-28-2010, 01:38 PM
You must have missed my first post, I said I liked finding information about my target but not HOW it was done (what you said). Again, in my opinion I think they should have a good mix between side missions and build up for main assassinations

GlassGun2010
11-28-2010, 02:04 PM
Thing is you don't need to find out background information anymore as that is what Shaun's job is... I think you'll find in AC1 you were at abstergo, and they wanted to suppress what you were trying to find out, but in AC2 you are with the mystery gang and they try to feed you everything. See the little pictures that pop up when you find something new, or get an assasination, if you press select it opens up a text box about that person.

I would prefer it if they could convey this information more pratical though than just reading, I mean it's not like I want to read about every single place, but the option is there if I want http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Jack-Reacher
11-28-2010, 02:17 PM
Abstergo would want you to have as much info as possible on your assassinations to speed up the process to get the apple, why would they hide it?

Also that information is barely helpful in terms of performing your assassinations, the memory log from AC1 was 100x better, with maps and escape routes, guard positions etc.

Hell I would be happy if they just gave me a heads up on the location of my assassination so I can explore it first

GlassGun2010
11-28-2010, 02:22 PM
But Abstergo don't want to reveal really what they are looking for, the pieces of Eden.

Although I agree with you in saying that is barely helpful, but it is background knowledge about your victim for the historical side of it. But your right in saying that in AC1 it contained escape routes etc. But it would be good if they could implement it, in a more varied manner. As in AC1 you had to all 3 missions to find out background stuff, and it was the same thing all the time. Maybe they should implement more variation with only 2 assignments to find this stuff?

Haywood92
11-28-2010, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Radman500:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jack-Reacher:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mynimoe:

I see it like this.

Just because ubisoft announced they were changing the style doesnt mean I have to like it. The assassins and arrow storm imo is the most cheap thing you can do in this game but thats another topic </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

gathering info in ac1.. was lame... im sorry, but i was so bored doing all that stuff, cause it was the same thing, pick-pocket, eavesdropping....

assassins arn't suppose to do that, there suppose to kill there enemy, quickly NO QUESTIONS ASKED </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh right, cool. I'm guessing they're also supposed to telepathically know where their targets are and what they plan to do also? I'm sorry, but the whole point of the Assassins is oddly enough, to be curious about things and to be wise. They're not hitmen.

Jack-Reacher
11-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Exactly. For the 3rd time now, I like finding stuff out and planning my assassinations, I just dont like HOW its done in AC1 with the investigations. I want some variation

Mynimoe
11-30-2010, 05:09 AM
Meh i like all 3 games for what they were, are, and probably what they are going to be. And i also thought background information gathering of the targets was slightly boring in AC1 although i still liked it. I still find that there is plenty of freedom.

Redfeather1975
11-30-2010, 05:50 AM
The reason why Altair had to gather information on a target by himself, was because he had no friends. The assassins looked down on him until he could prove himself. I remember the bureau dudes hating him.

Ezio, on the other hand, has so many friends he gets all the information handed to him just by asking. He then simply needs to walk within a city block from the target and whistle for death from above.

obliviondoll
11-30-2010, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by Redfeather1975:
The reason why Altair had to gather information on a target by himself, was because he had no friends. The assassins looked down on him until he could prove himself. I remember the bureau dudes hating him.

Ezio, on the other hand, has so many friends he gets all the information handed to him just by asking. He then simply needs to walk within a city block from the target and whistle for death from above.
Add to this - the tracking down of targets was specifically mentioned as part of Altair's punishment.

Maybe AC3 will see a return to intelligence gathering missions for some of the early parts of the gameplay - you could start off as a junior member of the order and have to work your way up...

extrememuffin
11-30-2010, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by obliviondoll:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Redfeather1975:

Add to this - the tracking down of targets was specifically mentioned as part of Altair's punishment.

Maybe AC3 will see a return to intelligence gathering missions for some of the early parts of the gameplay - you could start off as a junior member of the order and have to work your way up... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i like the idea of working your way up to master assassin. in AC1 you sort of were getting ranked up but you didnt see any effect on how others treated you. in AC2 there was no rank thing and ACB you were already the master assassin. maybe in AC3 you will start off as some mid-lvl assassin with some easy targets to kill that at the time seem to have no connection to each other but as you rank up you get harder targets and find out a plan to destroy the assassins.

the point of ranking up could also be ability to call in more assassins to help in fights (no assassin help, 1 assassin comes to help, 2, 3, 4, etc), more equipment, citizens will reconize you and assist you in small ways (vigilantes, stop pestering you for money because you have a bigass sword and will stab them in the throat with it).

maybe near the end of the game your master will die because you failed to get to him in time with the info of the plan so you take over as the master assassin.

i also think that ranking up should be completly optional and you dont just rank up because you completed some of the story, but in order to complete the story maybe you should have to be at a pre-determind rank.

PainInTheAsh
11-30-2010, 09:35 AM
To be honest, I dont even know which assassinations were main assassinations. I would be doing a missions like normal, kill some random and then suddenly I will be taken to the memory corridor for a "confession", thinking "Wait, that was a main assassination?"

Yeah, that happened to me in AC2, in the mission where you have a group of mercenaries and you have to attack some guy to find where Jacopo was... I think, I can't really remember what his name was, but it was in a sort of villa.

PainInTheAsh
11-30-2010, 09:53 AM
Maybe the build-up could be optional? The player could choose whether they wanted to find out about the location and the target, or they could just rush in. And the player would only know about the things that they found out about, e.g. if they only found out about guard positions, then that is the only thing they know about...

As for the confessions, I loved them in AC1 and was very dissapointed with the Templar Agent Missions in AC:B.

DannyStrong
11-30-2010, 12:18 PM
i like the idea of working your way up to master assassin. in AC1 you sort of were getting ranked up but you didnt see any effect on how others treated you. in AC2 there was no rank thing and ACB you were already the master assassin. maybe in AC3 you will start off as some mid-lvl assassin with some easy targets to kill that at the time seem to have no connection to each other but as you rank up you get harder targets and find out a plan to destroy the assassins.

While you don't see much of a progression in ac1, the story of ac2/acb is ezios movements in the ranks of the assassins. In the beginning he knows nothing about the assassins, then he finds his fathers clothes, then mario teaches him how to fight, after the events of ac2 ezio has proven himself as a major player in the creed and he even starts to train new assassins just like what was done for him in ac2. You pretty much get to see his whole life from ac2 to acb.

Sturnz0r
11-30-2010, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Radman500:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jack-Reacher:

I see it like this.

assassins arn't suppose to do that, there suppose to kill there enemy, quickly NO QUESTIONS ASKED </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This. If you want preparation, bake a cake

CaptainCanada4
11-30-2010, 03:44 PM
I agree, although the style in ACII and ACB makes the game move alot faster, not scouting out where your assassination is going to take place is unrealistic. Assassins would do research on their topics, although i also agree that how it was done in ACI could have used some work. But actyally planning how you would do it, and scouting out the area for escape routes etc. would add another layor to the game, and improve realism. Hopefully this will change later on