PDA

View Full Version : direct x runtime

PACACE
07-17-2006, 04:32 PM
Has anyone installed DirectX runtime? It says to make a restore point first so I backed down from it. I can't imagine that it would do much.

CapBackassward
07-17-2006, 04:40 PM
Not sure what your asking. We all have direct X installed on our PC's. Just depends on which version. Direct X is what helps Windows run games. Lastest version is DX 9c. I think direct X 10 will be with the release of Windows Vista.

Rick

PACACE
07-18-2006, 10:32 AM
I should have been more clear. I went to Microsoft downloads and looked at DirectX to see if there was maybe a 9 d and found they have directX 9 SDK runtime, so I downloaded it but to install they suggest making a restore point because unlike DirectX9.0 c it can't be uninstalled or something and it looked as if it might have more to it.

WB_Outlaw
07-18-2006, 12:28 PM
SDK is a "Software Development Kit". It would be a waste of hard drive space for you to install it.

--Outlaw.

CapBackassward
07-18-2006, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by WB_Outlaw:
SDK is a "Software Development Kit". It would be a waste of hard drive space for you to install it.

--Outlaw.

Yep. What he said. We're stuck with DX9c until Windows Vista, I believe. And then will all probably have to get a Direct X 10 capable vid card to keep up. Chi-Ching. They got us, don't they? But I'll get one just to take advantage of the new Windows\Direct X 10 technology and to play SOW:BOB in all its glory.

Rick

leitmotiv
07-22-2006, 12:34 AM
Yes, PACACE, I had to install the very latest version which you cited, "Direct X End-User Runtime" (release date 9 June 2006), to run the latest versions of WINGS OVER VIETNAM and WINGS OVER EUROPE. I was in a hurry and failed to make the restore point, but, after three days, my computer hasn't gone berserk yet. If it does, I'll let you know right before I blow my brains out. Both crashed at start until I followed Third Wire's instructions and updated.