PDA

View Full Version : Me and 39 friends took on the Allies.

Giganoni
11-04-2004, 07:22 AM
Well I finally got PF yesterday, and could really see how porked the Ki-61 is (in terms of armament and dates) Hehe. Anyway, my rig doesn't allow me to run PF perfect, but it is very fun. I started doing the IJA campaign. Funny how in the object viewer under the Ki-43 Ia that the IJAAF only had 40 planes when the PTO commencened against the US.

Oh well, I guess 148 chutais (squads) 64 which participated in the malaya campaign must have shared sections of planes http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Anyway so me and my "39 buddies" start in New Guniea. Wish I could have done Malaya. I notice I could choose the 10th dokuritsu chutai. Interesting since they stayed in china. Still, it is a dynamic campaign. I chose the 13th.

First mission is a scramble, hey an alarm sound. People complain about the lack of immersion, but still these background noises were a nice touch that I have not heard mentioned before.

So six Ki-43Ia's scramble against...30-40 P-39Ds and 4 P40bs. I'm no expert, but I manage to knock one 39 out of the sky and smoke 2 or 3 others while dodging all those suckers. Just hit the combat flaps and turned into em, seemed to shake em off. It is AI after all. Unfortunately my AI wingmen...

Well anyway it is shaping up to be a fun game, certainly long flight times in the campaign (also frequent ai crashes..I'm afraid to dl the beta patch though because I'm hearing about lockups). Clearly a rushed release, but I give it a thumbs up, why? Because the developers stay in touch with the community and take suggested changes if you show the proof.

Besides, they fixed the Japanese 75mm AA from Type 11 to type 88 like I begged.

Saburo_0
11-04-2004, 10:36 AM
" I notice I could choose the 10th dokuritsu chutai. Interesting since they stayed in china."

i bet if you send in the correct info to Starshoy they'll correct that.

Friday the fixed Ki-61 Hien will be available!
I've not flown it yet since i heard the data was entered wrong, but hope to give it a spin this weekend. have always preferred the Shoki, personally, but maybe someday.

Ps 30-40 p39s !? Were there really that many? Someone said that they thought the mission reports overstated enemy aircraft much as happened during the war. i hope that is the case, because it doesn't seem like there should be that many P-39s on one mission early in the war.

xanty
11-04-2004, 10:55 AM
yes, I took on the beautiful Ki-43 on a IJA campaign in New Guinea... and the first missions on several campaigns I started consisten in a scramble against incredible odds! Us 6, against more than 40 enemies, most loaded with bombs and ready to follow u after!

Did I mention u have no parachute and no means to escape the flames? I mean, U HAVE to survive the encounter, because there is no way out, even scaping, the Hayabusa is way slower than those P-39s... I managed to do it after like 10 deaths, and I managed to down 5 planes (on a Ki43Ib), then run around like crazy because of lack of ammo. It sure is a challenge!!!! Made my blood rush...

Next missions were normal, with little resistance (in fact, too little, where are all those p39s?). To me it seems like a "hit them - get hit" camapign. Hope it get better.

maybe I can smuggle a parachute in my "Falcon" over night.....

Snootles
11-04-2004, 01:49 PM
Maybe it meant 40 Ki-43's...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Because the developers stay in touch with the community and take suggested changes if you show the proof. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly! Expect some changes in Japanese airspeed indicators in the upcoming patch. I emailed the bug reporting address about it, and Oleg personally responded. The Ki-43 will have the same indicator as the Ki-61 (Tanaka Type 98), the A6Ms will show speed in knots, and the A6M2-N and A6M7 might also have different indicators going up to 400 knots (Tanaka Model 3 Kai 1 and 2).

scootertgm
11-04-2004, 02:30 PM
LOL, yes, it is 6 on 36... I have flown three or four missions with those odds...

Take the time to time your shots, you can drop a P-40 or P-39 in just a very short burst if you hit the engine, that sight is killer.

Athosd
11-04-2004, 06:37 PM
The dynamic campaign engine certainly does need a little more work. Its unfortunate that problems with the DGEN - which IIRC is 3rd party work - are commonly being attributed to deficiencies in core game functions, AI etc.

I believe that the developers expected a bit too much out of DGEN - leaving its designer to shoulder the major part of the single player experience. Some of the battles represented would be more enjoyably, IMHO,as fixed/branching campaigns (eg Coral Sea, Midway).
Additionally the missions built for such fixed campaigns could have been made available as single missions - addressing another issue raised by many reviewers and players (specifically lack of single missions).

I'm currently playing the RAAF Beaufighter New Guinea campaign with DGEN 3.11 beta - its going well. Though the Japanese certainly seem to be on the back foot already airpower wise. The Moresby strip has yet to attacked - despite huge numbers of enemy fighters and bombers parked around airstrips just over the range.

Had to laugh the first time I saw the Kokoda trail showing up as a clear cut road over the Owen Stanleys (it would be a nice touch if trails could show on the nav map but not on the game map).

Over all I'm having a lot of fun with PF, the obvious additions seem to be just the tip of the iceberg here - I'm also confident that problems/inaccuracies will be addressed as soon as possible.

Salute

Athos