PDA

View Full Version : I need a new stick, reccomend one?

psykopatsak
11-04-2009, 04:25 PM
So after i concluded that i have in fact never amied at a planes point, since it's an archivement even getting the enemy in the sight useing the old worn stick i use currently, i would like to buy a new one.

im looking for a not-that-expensive one, that does its job: manouvers the aircraft whitout making sudden rudder slams, and has a throttle that keeps its value. preferably one that is compatible with most flight sims and maybe one that also have twin engine throttle.

thanks/ psykopatsak.

doraemil
11-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Anything by CH.

- reliable
- last long
- doesn't have quirky axis movements (I play with 100% sliders on sensitivity)
- as programmable as you want or can run straight out of the box.
- customer service rules

they are pricy, but to me quality is well worth the price.

however CH doesn't have twist and I know the fighterstick does have a throttle.

I don't like the twist b/c usually a few months moving the stick will engage the twist and pedals allow me to coordinate and manuever much better.

If you really love playing IL-2 or any flight sim . . . you'll eventally get a HOTAS (hands on throttle + stick) and pedals . . .

megalopsuche
11-04-2009, 05:27 PM
+1 on CH. Expensive to buy, but saves money in the long run because you won't need a replacement. I've had my CH stick for about 12 years now.

beNdeR__
11-04-2009, 06:29 PM
+2 on CH. I've had my gameport Combatstick for about 10 years, and it still works perfectly. Last year I got the bright idea of wanting a HOTAS system, so I picked up an x52, and within a week I had tossed the joystick somewhere in the back of my closet. It would always freak out when I would twist it, and always loses calibration, and these problems always arise when I occasionally take it out and try it. Even during the odd sessions when it isn't going berserk, I just don't find it as precise or comfortable as the CH stick. The throttle is money though, the trim wheels are a nice touch which the CH throttle doesn't have.

WTE_Ibis
11-05-2009, 12:19 AM
CH,without doubt the best quality.I just wish that their throttle had trim wheels.

Ba5tard5word
11-05-2009, 12:58 AM
Set a price and go with what you can afford.

A Logitech 3D Pro is good for a cheapo stick, I've had one for maybe a year and it's been fine. Good control and button placement.

Lt_Letum
11-05-2009, 01:16 AM
Sidewinder Forcefeedback 2

They don't make em' anymore, but they are still the king of sticks.

VMF-214_HaVoK
11-05-2009, 01:49 AM
CH Products would be my number one suggestion. If you do not wish to spend the cash I would suggest the MS Sidewinder Precision 2.

These are the only sticks/hotas I recommend anymore after years of experiencing products from other companies such as Siatek and Logitech.

S!

I_JG78_Max
11-05-2009, 02:37 AM
Two "Not-that-expensive" ones are the Saitek Aviator and the Saitek Cyborg X. Both have a dual throttle incorporated into the sticks bottom. I use and always prefered the Cyborg X. The Aviator just has the look of a flightsim stick, but thats it. The Cyborg however is more ergonomic and adjustable (if you are righthanded).

Saiteks come with a nice software to make your own gaming profiles, for example using the Coolie-Hat like a mouse. But lately I have had some problems with this software as it quits during playing, forcing me to return to desktop and reload it. I hope a future Software update will sovle this.

In my opinion the Cyborg X is the best budget stick currently around.

Nevertheless I am looking out for the Logitech G940 for christmas. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

III/JG27_Max

psykopatsak
11-05-2009, 08:51 AM
unfortunatley i cannot afford a CH controller http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

im more interested in the saitech controllers, as im always low on money, so i'm interested in the difference between the aviator and Cyborg?

Urufu_Shinjiro
11-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Cyborg=more buttons, Aviator=looks spiffy.

psykopatsak
11-05-2009, 10:00 AM
so nothing in the precision and resilance department there?

dirkpit7
11-05-2009, 10:11 AM
I quickly tried an Aviator in my hand once and think it had more tension than my current X52 Pro but not as much as the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro I used to have. It felt ok, but I didn't get to try it in practice so can't say much more.

BillSwagger
11-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by psykopatsak:
so nothing in the precision and resilance department there?

i stand by my Logitech, but i think what you need to consider is your budget and what you might actually get for less than thirty dollars.
I'd prefer all the bells and whistles, like dual throttle, or even more than 4 axis, but those things just cost more.

I actually have the most basic stick, an Attack 3, because i was avoiding using a twist handle and for the price i found that Logitech offered more buttons. So from a gaming point of view, it seemed like i could've also used it for FPS games. Now I only use it exclusively as my flight sim stick, in combination with my mouse for panning. I only use X and Y, and the Z axis is extranious due to its location and the fact that my other hand remains on the mouse.
I find it to be a solid, yet sensitive stick. Using Il2Joy, i can get quite a bit of precision out of it. My throttle quadrant is a mouse, which also serves for my pans, as well as other hotas functions linked to the mouse wheel.

This setup goes against the traditional HAT switch, but i assure you its very efficient. I use my right hand to fly, and my left hand to pan, with additional throttle/rudder etc, on the mouse wheel. I was surprised to read that a lot of FPS games use a similar format, where the stick moves the player, and the mouse pans for aiming. I don't play FPS at all, but the principal seems simple enough to use in a combat sim.

If you are budgeting or short on money, then you are probably used to getting the most out of what you do have. So if you want to save some money and learn another technique, like mousing with your left hand, then you could probably do quite well for 20 bucks.

megalopsuche
11-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Why not delay gratification and save your money for something nice? Buying a cheap joystick is like buying a cheap pair of hiking boots. You'll get there, but you'll be sore and regretful when you arrive.

deskpilot
11-05-2009, 11:28 AM
I agree with comments re CH and love my fighterstick, however I also have a THrustmaster T flight HOTAS which is only 30 quid tops and has a nice throttle and a rudder rocker switch which I think is MUCH superior to a twist stick. We've had ours over a year and it works perfectly. good lot of buttons and very comfy grip I think.
good luck!

psykopatsak
11-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by megalopsuche:
Why not delay gratification and save your money for something nice? Buying a cheap joystick is like buying a cheap pair of hiking boots. You'll get there, but you'll be sore and regretful when you arrive.

not nessesarcly, which is why i'm trying to get a good not that expensive one. thing is, i do not play THAT much, so id rather spend my money on something that i cannot get cheap...

BillSwagger
11-05-2009, 12:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by megalopsuche:

not nessesarcly, which is why i'm trying to get a good not that expensive one. thing is, i do not play THAT much, so id rather spend my money on something that i cannot get cheap... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I faced a similar dilemma. I really didn't put much thought into it. I saw Logitech, and compared the prices, and all the reviews were good. I could actually purchase a more expensive get up, but i just don't see the need being that i'm able to do everything with the setup i have.

Id say if you are a casual user, then you really can't lose. The difference between sticks under 30 bucks is really only differentiated by ergonomics. I find that in that price range they all have the same number of axis, and general configuration. I leaned toward Logitech because i saw that it had more buttons, which seemed to make more sense at the time. Its been over a year, and the stick works fine.

knightflyte
11-06-2009, 02:06 AM
Some people like Ko-Ho. Others prefer Cooper. I myself love my Sherwood stick signed by Phil Esposito. No one's measured the curve to see if it's legal or not. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Trinity_Jay
11-06-2009, 03:55 AM
Sidewinder Forcefeedback 2 all the way. Have had mine for nine years, it's superbly built, relioable and its FF forces are wonderful to gauge a stall, etc.

I have the CH stuff, too, such as their top of the range stick and yoke. They're very, very good, but the Sidewinder Forcefeedback 2 wins hands down.

But it's all about personal taste at the end of the day.

psykopatsak
11-08-2009, 05:12 AM
so i'm thinking of the Cyborg X, but i wonder, after all the gizmos and functions, is it still a solid piece after a few years?

ytareh
11-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Logitech Extreme 3d Pro without a doubt....Ive tried all the companies listed and some not mentioned yet and they are THE BEST ....genuinely stiff spring ...Saiteks are limp as a 15 minute boiled stick of spaghetti CH worse...Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar has such an artificial stiffness that its even spawned a REPLACEMENT (to a seriously three figure stick!?)spring called Evenstrain...
If the X3dPro were 100 not 40 (/E/$) I would STILL buy it over any other option ....I AM curious about this new T16000M though any new feedback re it ?If its just a pimped up "Fox" or "T Stick " etc it will be useless...

Eow_TK
11-08-2009, 04:18 PM
I had an extreem 3d pro for 3 years. but like most logitechs ive used, it kept pulling left and the rudder started sucking really bad. I wish you could have the tension of it and its grip on a ch.

VMF-214_HaVoK
11-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by ytareh:
Logitech Extreme 3d Pro without a doubt....Ive tried all the companies listed and some not mentioned yet and they are THE BEST ....genuinely stiff spring ...Saiteks are limp as a 15 minute boiled stick of spaghetti CH worse...Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar has such an artificial stiffness that its even spawned a REPLACEMENT (to a seriously three figure stick!?)spring called Evenstrain...
If the X3dPro were 100 not 40 (/E/$) I would STILL buy it over any other option ....I AM curious about this new T16000M though any new feedback re it ?If its just a pimped up "Fox" or "T Stick " etc it will be useless...

You have owned and used CH gear such as the Fighter stick and Pro throttle and you think the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is better? Whoa! Back in the day I used many Logitech sticks including the one you mentioned. I always found Logitech to be huge pieces of junk. I used Saitek X-52 for about 6 months or so and it was junk. CH products are wonderful and perfect in every aspect of functionality. I would never give mine up and only wish I purchased them sooner. The money I would have saved would have paid for them long ago.

It is amazing how opinions and personal taste can differ when it comes to flight sim gear. Good thing we have many choices.

Insuber
11-08-2009, 08:54 PM
I've read good things about the Thrustmaster T16000 with Hall sensors, not too expensive also (under 50 euros AFAIK).

Personally I have had a couple of Logitechs and found that they loose precision rather quickly. I owned a Saitek X52 pro, which fell prey to the rudder pot spikes after 14 months, so got it replaced. The second one is working OK after 6 months, lets cross fingers and protect it from the dust ... I own also a CH combatstick and pro throttle + Saiteks pedals but can't use them because I'm a dog with pedals ... so I stick to my X52 pro which is a good stick and an excellent throttle, all in all, especially after the sensor mod. I'm afraid it's a bit out of your price target thou ...

Regards,
Insuber

Chivas
11-08-2009, 10:15 PM
All the joysticks on the market today have their flaws, some worse than others. The only one I haven't tried yet is Logitech's G940. Its pricey but you do get a complete HOTAs. I'll probably give it a try when it surfaces in Canada.

BillSwagger
11-09-2009, 12:12 AM
When i went to the store and tried a few different sticks, they were all pretty much the same in terms of tension. I went with Logitech because it had more buttons, and i find mine is still working as good as the day i got it over a year ago. I think if you can get 2 or 3 years out of a Logitech, then thats 20 bucks well spent. I also think its no exaggeration to say that for under 30 bucks, Logitech makes the best sticks.

Bill

psykopatsak
11-09-2009, 08:00 AM
I have an old Logitech Wingman extreme, which seems like the predecessor of the later ones, and i'm planning to try something else than logitech.

that said, mine has worked for eleven years or so, so i cannot really complain...

Sillius_Sodus
11-09-2009, 10:13 AM
From your original post, you are looking for a stick with a dual throttle. CH, while very, very good sticks, only offer a dual throttle option on their yokes. I've never tried one but the consensus here is that a control stick is a better option for IL2.

I have CH pedals and the Pro throttle but use a Saitek Cyborg Evo for flight control. I've had the Saitek for going on five years now. I may eventually upgrade to a CH stick but I'm loathe to lose the ability to assign the hat switch to act like a mouse for panning since I do not have TrakIr.

In the end, if you are not sure how much you are going to play IL2, I would go with a cheaper stick.

But beware, the longer you hang around here, the more hardcore you will become! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

psykopatsak
11-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Haha, no flight sims is something i have been playing periodically for twelve years or so now, but im not playing constantly, it might pass a year or so before i play some more for a few months.

the thing im worried about most now is whether the Saitek Cyborg with all its adjusting and folding isnt liable to "loosen up" and loose precision?

Avont29
11-11-2009, 07:59 AM
A new age in flight simulation has come..

BEHOLD:

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/na/namco-5-in-1-pacman-galaxians-joystick.jpg

psykopatsak
11-11-2009, 08:41 AM
Aah, that must be for Birds of prey right?

or is it World Of Flight Simulator, also called WOFS?

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Bearcat99
11-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Whatever you get consider these things:

1-How much into your simming are you... and how far do you think you will go?
If this is just a passing thing for ypu or ypu are more gamer than simmer.. then perhaps a cheaper stick is up your alley and the investment in better gear like Logitech G940 or CH gear is simply not worth it. HOWEVER .. if like many of us you think that this will pretty much be your primary PC gaming enjoyment.. and you plan to be around in this genre for the long haul, you might want to consider investing in better gear.. meaning either CH, the Logitech G940 (which is a complete HOTAS package pedals, stick & throttle), or a Saitek rig with an X-52 Pro & some pedals..

2-How much do you have to spend..
This one is kind of subjective... If you are either on a fixed income or a student.. you might not have much cash.. but if you are a working stiff you might consider forgoing a few brewskies or lunch for a month.. If you plan to be around don't do this on the cheap. Look to spend at least $100 for a decent set up.. and you DO want some kind of HOTAS setup.. (If you are unfamiliar with the term see the Nugget's Guide in my sig for more on that..)

If you want a twin throttled stick your chopices will be limited..

Gibbage1
11-11-2009, 05:41 PM
My X-52 broke, and im broke, so I was in the same situation. I was looking at the Av8R and Cyborg, due to the dual throttles.

I read a LOT of reviews on both, and checked both out, and here is what I found out. Avoid the Cyborg at all cost. Here is why.

The Cyborg comes with a detachable handle. The handle screws into the base with a plastic washer, and leaves a lot of "slop". Basically, small corrections WONT transfer to actual movement of your aircraft due to this slop from the detachable handle. The stick I played with at the store had a lot of abuse from customers, but it had around 6MM of wobble at the top before it started registering any movement, and from reading reviews, it comes like that. Also the buttons felt flimsy.

The Av8R is good so far. The dual throttle is almost useless due to its location in front of the stick (you need to reach around) so I stull use the throttle from my X-52. But the stick is nice and tight with no slop at all. The 4 toggle switches at the base are quite usefull for gear, flaps, and many other functions you dont need often since again, you need to reach around or move your hand off the stick to use it.

Thats my openion.

ROXunreal
11-11-2009, 06:37 PM
Speaking of Aviator joystick, I still don't know how to map the dual throttle for each engine separately, anyone know the answer? :/

Gibbage1
11-11-2009, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by ROXunreal:
Speaking of Aviator joystick, I still don't know how to map the dual throttle for each engine separately, anyone know the answer? :/

IL2 has no real function for dual throttle inputs. You need to run an external program or scripts to get it to work. I dont have any links to it, sorry.

Sokol__1
11-12-2009, 07:26 AM
I may eventually upgrade to a CH stick but I'm loathe to lose the ability to assign the hat switch to act like a mouse for panning since I do not have TrakIr.

Sillius_Sodus

Whit CH Mannager software you do this and a lot more.

ROXunreal

Dual throttle will be add in IL-2 for Team Daidalos.

http://simhq.com/_air13/air_420b.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...ture=player_embedded (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDEbMY90IjE&feature=player_embedded)

Sokol1

psykopatsak
11-12-2009, 02:31 PM
I read a LOT of reviews on both, and checked both out, and here is what I found out. Avoid the Cyborg at all cost. Here is why.

The Cyborg comes with a detachable handle. The handle screws into the base with a plastic washer, and leaves a lot of "slop". Basically, small corrections WONT transfer to actual movement of your aircraft due to this slop from the detachable handle. The stick I played with at the store had a lot of abuse from customers, but it had around 6MM of wobble at the top before it started registering any movement, and from reading reviews, it comes like that. Also the buttons felt flimsy.

that's what i've read too... seems all the functions were making it unprecise, and the whole reason i want another one is that my current one is too unprecise...

have you felt the Aviator? are the buttons on the base really toggles or do they just look like it?

Gibbage1
11-12-2009, 03:20 PM
I read a LOT of reviews on both, and
have you felt the Aviator? are the buttons on the base really toggles or do they just look like it?

I have the Av8R and the buttons on the bottom only go up and down. So pushing it up is like pressing button 1, and pushing it down is button 2. They dont stick, but go back to nutral (middle). So not a toggle, just a 2 way button. I like it that way since 1 switch can be both gears up, and down (up for up, down for down) and same for flaps.

The_Stealth_Owl
11-12-2009, 03:47 PM
While some people spend thousands of dollars on a stick, I spent $29 on a ST-290 and it lasted me about 4-5 years! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

I still use it.

psykopatsak
11-12-2009, 04:16 PM
so it seems the regular aviator is not avaidable here in sweden, only the xbox and PS3 ones. anyone know anything about them? they are supposed to be PC compatible, but are the buttons the same etc.?

Tuphlandng
11-12-2009, 04:28 PM
Hello psykopatsak

I wanted to post at this thread some time ago but I seem to kill threads.
As has been mentioned through you tread pros and cons and price. Al really good advice. Here is what I did.
I started with a basic stick just like you did,mine was fro MS, and because I wanted to share My IL 2 experience with others I purchased another stick a Logictech 3D pro. I enjoyed it until I started getting rudder troubles,but when I plug it into another computer the troubles weren't there so I dont think it was the stick. I upgraded to The X 52 because ACM requires control of the engine and I love it. So I purchased another and then another. I also have a CH rig that in my opinion has the quality that could take a few hammer blows and keep working. I also believe it does have some drawbacks that seem inherent to all sticks but the X 52. The trim controls for me are on the wrong unit,meaning on the stick and not on the throttle. That is why I use the X 52 as apposed to the CH.
If I was not sure that I wanted to be a Simmer then I would not spend to much on a toy. But like mention before if I thought that this was an awesome game that I would play then I would think about spending some money and getting in to it.

If finances are tight your options are not as limeted as you my think.

For About 30 you could pick up a twisty stick
The for about 50 you could purchase a throttle quadrant.
And rudder pedals for another 120.

Just keep in mind the throttle will get the most abuse so I would get a stick that will last

I just wanted to give you my input because I my not fly to good but I do like good equipment.

And sorry if I killed your thread

Tuph

And OWL is right you dont need to spend a ton of cash to just have fun

Gibbage1
11-12-2009, 04:33 PM
You can use the 360 and PS3 version on the PC just fine, but you dont get the 2 way bottons at the base. only single buttons, and consol spacific button on the middle.

jermin122
11-12-2009, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Lt_Letum:
Sidewinder Forcefeedback 2

They don't make em' anymore, but they are still the king of sticks.

Totally agree.

And Sidewinder Precision 2 is also a good stick, especially for low speed dogfight.

psykopatsak
03-06-2010, 12:29 PM
so, i wonder about the PS3 aviator, is does it come with the program and such that lets you use the multi functions (does it have those?) and such? and is it the same build?

doogerie
03-07-2010, 02:43 AM
Not to easy but i amaking my own controlers i am working in a multi throtal at the moment i am going to set up a joystik next tha try and incoprate pedels as well.

psykopatsak
03-07-2010, 06:19 AM
um, sorry? i dont understand, and please; use commas!

rgmw-largie
03-07-2010, 09:10 AM
Hi

I use a Logitch Extreme 3d Pro and am happy with it FOR THE AMOUNT THAT I PLAY.

My main reason to post though is to say avoid the Speedstar "Black Widow" which sounded to good to be true, and indeed was.

Dave

Urufu_Shinjiro
03-08-2010, 03:13 PM
I hear the Thrustmaster Hotas X is not bad and can be had for about $35-$45.

http://www.thrustmaster.com/pr...tID=149&PlatformID=5 (http://www.thrustmaster.com/product.aspx?ProductID=149&PlatformID=5)

As for the PS3 version of the aviator, it's supposed to work with the pc but it doesn't work right, some of the axis show up as button presses IIRC. You can get it to work but you need a third party profiling software like Joy To Key or something.

psykopatsak
03-09-2010, 10:49 AM
the thrustmaster looked too good to be true, so i dissed it. checked it up, and it still seems too good, but if its a solid build, then its pretty awesome?

nayone have it?

Urufu_Shinjiro
03-09-2010, 10:56 AM
For that price how wrong can you go? If you want high end pay high end prices, if you want to pay less, then throw the dice and get what you get http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

psykopatsak
03-09-2010, 11:41 AM
of course its a good doeal if it stays in one piece that is http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Urufu_Shinjiro
03-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Well, what I mean to say is that yes, you can get a cheap stick that will last 3+ years, I've had a Cyborg Gold that lasted for 4+ years, and I've had soem other cheap sticks that lasted a good long while, but that is more luck than anything. If reliability is a large factor in your purchase and you're looking for a stick KNOWN for it's reliability, then that is not going to be a $25 stick, it's going to be an expensive one. That's not to say don't look for reports of some cheapo sticks breaking out of the box, do look out for cheap crap, but barring large evidence of suckage you just have to pick one and go for it if you can't pop the big bucks. Hell, even if ya got the big bucks sometimes you have to take a leap, I just bought a Logitech G940 and it's still too new to have a reliability reputation one way or the other yet, but I wanted the features it offered and my X52 was on the way out after years of loyal service, so I took the leap, and like it so far.

psykopatsak
03-09-2010, 02:18 PM
barring large evidence of suckage

that's what i'm mostly on the lookout for. so far i've been close to buying the Cobrg, but stopped because the handle is detachable, and as suck might/tend to loosen, the Aviator which is not avaidable in my country except the wierdo console verisions, the logitech, which tends to degrade at the rudder yaw (my current problem...) and now the Thrustmaster Hotas, where the only thing i've heard so far is that some cannot get the throttle to work, bu that doesent seem like a trend, so that's what i'm aiming for right now.

Urufu_Shinjiro
03-09-2010, 03:00 PM
I'd check ebay and see if you can find an old Cyborg Gold USB, or maybe even an X52 for a good price. The Cyborg Force is a good solid stick if you can find the right price, the force feedback is not the best but it's a solid stick and you can turn the FFB off.

pursuing1
03-09-2010, 11:32 PM
Honestly, while owning one and loving our x52 (my Lady plays sometimes too, heh!) I can't say I would recommend a used one. I'm sorry but I'd be hard pressed to even recommend a new one. Reason why?

We had an RMA on our first X52 (purchased around the holidays, don't remember exact date) as it had no x-axis whatsoever. Ok. Fine, I can accept one problem. We bought it from a reputable source and had another on the desk within a month, and while all it's buttons, bells and whistles work (most of the time..) it's not without a few issues that lead me to believe quality control has dropped significantly: Primary hat switch sometimes glitches while panning back to center and hangs at random locations, takes some "figgling" with it to get it back to normal, sometimes - especially while waking from sleep, random LEDs on the set fail to light up at all, or will flicker, and the throttle has begun to sometimes stop at "109%" or "1%" -- all this and we've barely owned it a month. It looks as if it makes it til summer, we're going to be lucky.

And what's up with IL2 not recognizing the little button with the "i" on it on the throttle, center of one of the dials (I use that one for elevators)? Or the slider on the back of the throttle? The mouse I can understand - I haven't bothered with Saitek's software on this rig and supposedly it's a requirement. You can even set the LCD chronograph buttons to do things in game (like eject!) but not this one button?

Bottom line - Don't know if it's just bad luck, or what.. I had a less-than-20-dollar saitek about 8-9 years ago that worked flawlessly, and with everyone saying how great they (the x52s)were we took the plunge, and wish now we had waited for something better.

psykopatsak
03-10-2010, 02:07 PM
I'd check ebay and see if you can find an old Cyborg Gold USB, or maybe even an X52 for a good price. The Cyborg Force is a good solid stick if you can find the right price, the force feedback is not the best but it's a solid stick and you can turn the FFB off.

i'm not sure i trust in buying old joysticks, mine is old, and that's why i'm replacing it...

Urufu_Shinjiro
03-10-2010, 02:17 PM
That I button is the clutch button by default, it allows you to press other buttons and see their function on the display screen without actually sending the command to the pc, you need the software installed to set it as a programmable button. If by slider on the back of throttle you mean the mouse wheel, I believe that requires the software too. The lights on waking up from sleep is actually a windows issue with some USB devices. Everything else though is a legit issue with the X52. Mine lasted a long while, I got it the xmas it first came out and it only went bad in the last year, started with the hat switch on the throttle getting stuck in one direction, then one throttle rotary went south, then the other. Everything else works fine but I got too used to trim on a rotary.

Padser
03-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Back in the day when I first started out with CFS1, the MS Precision Sidewinder 2 was my weapon of choice. I had an X-45 for a while when the MS stick croaked, but hated it.

Since then it's been CH Fighter stick with throttle and pedals, but if I was buying stuff again from new, I'd want to try out that new Logitech G940 - has anyone tried one out yet?

Pads

Urufu_Shinjiro
03-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Padser:
Back in the day when I first started out with CFS1, the MS Precision Sidewinder 2 was my weapon of choice. I had an X-45 for a while when the MS stick croaked, but hated it.

Since then it's been CH Fighter stick with throttle and pedals, but if I was buying stuff again from new, I'd want to try out that new Logitech G940 - has anyone tried one out yet?

Pads

I love mine, it's got some issues but they all do. The reversal issue is probably the biggest right now, when you move an axis one way, then move it the other it will "spike" in the that direction for a moment. This is supposed to be fixed in the next release of the driver/software from Logitech but they are slow in releasing it. There is a good workaround though, MikkOwl's Multi-Throttle 4.0 fixes it, besides all the other super cool stuff MT4.0 does, lol. Some claim they can't stand the FFB slop around the center (around the center of the stick travel, the force feedback is very week and then kicks in stronger as you deflect the stick more, the input itself has no deadzone at all, just the FFB) but I love that actually. It allows me to be way more precise lining up shots and my aim is not thrown off my the gunshake etc., which has been stated by Logitech to be the purpose of this intentional feature.