PDA

View Full Version : Mac and NVidia 6800 graphics card crash

jkundert
10-19-2004, 11:45 AM
Hi, all,

Anyone happen to have the new NVidia 6800 DDL card for their Mac? I got mine recently, and it crashes Myst IV each and every time I get to Serenia (which is pretty frustrating, as you might imagine!). I believe I have all drivers and system software up to date (nothing shows up in my software updates panel at least), and the game runs fine at this point when I run it on my old laptop (unfortunately the laptop's too slow to play the game usably), so I figure it's the card, but don't have a clue how to get around this problem.

If anyone has an idea for some help, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks!

padea
10-19-2004, 12:29 PM
Have you tried disabling 'special immersive effects' in graphics options? There is a thread here.

Also there is a thread about trashing 'Unsanity' and 'APE' files.

I recently heard from UBI regarding 'special immersive effects' (I have the 6800):

"You will need to disable the Special Immersive effects if the game is crashing when it is marked. There are some hardware configurations that cause this to happen. Ther is also a patch coming out later this week or next week that may address this issue for you.

Response (Jesse) - 10/19/2004"

jkundert
10-23-2004, 03:12 PM
Disabling immersive effects worked for me for Serenia--however, now I can't get into the "dream" world (which I need to do to solve the game), even with immersive effects disabled.

Anyone else figure out how to get the dream world to come up without the game crashing with the 6800?

TIA!

Johnjkundert@cs.clemson.edu

RSHayter
11-09-2004, 11:37 PM
I just ran into this Serenia crash. I'm a bit surprised and disappointed, since I'm using the latest Myst IV (1.01) as well as the latest Mac OS X (10.3.6) and therefore the latest NVidia drivers.

As others reported, disabling the special immersive effects avoids the crash.

Please, Ubi, fix this bug soon. I got this fancy graphics card because I want special immersive effects. The more, the merrier! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ron

Rev-O
12-01-2004, 12:54 PM
Hey, at least I'm not the only one. I just started trying to play Myst IV on my 6800 equipped G5, and found out that I can't even start a new game. Immediate crash to desktop. I'll try diaabling the immersive effects and see what happens. Must I must agree, that this is very disappointing. I have a nice fancy graphics card that crashes the game? Grrr.

RSHayter
12-22-2004, 07:22 AM
Good news! It looks like the bug was in OS X, not Revelation, and the 10.3.7 update fixes the bug. I can turn on the special immersive effects in Serenia and it looks terrific.

Thanks, Ubisoft, and thanks, Apple!

Ron

Rev-O
12-23-2004, 12:28 PM
Yup. With 10.3.6 I got 100% crashage when I tried to enter Dream, and likewise for the immersive effects. 10.3.7 has it running perfect.