PDA

View Full Version : Pe-2 takeoffs with complex engine management

mfruin
05-03-2006, 08:32 PM
I am having a lot of trouble with takeoffs using full realism. In fact I haven't been able to take off with the Pe-2 or Pe-3.
I turned off complex engine management and have taken off OK. With complex engine management (COE)on I have found that with a locked tailwheel the aircraft yaws slightly and cannot be straightened out as the rudder is ineffective.
If I unlock the tailwheel I find that it rotates nearly 90 degrees and either the aircraft is locked in place or turns circles in place.
If I turn off COE, the tailwheel problems are not an issue. I don't understand what is going on unless there is a way to selectively
change throttle or prop pitch for each engine.
I haven't had this trouble with other aircraft.
Any ideas?
Thanks, Mark

Crash_Moses
05-03-2006, 09:10 PM
Well, I've noticed some serious rudder issues also, specifically when taking off and dive bombing. Don't know if the real AC had this problem or not.

As for taking off I don't lock the tail wheel and I push the throttle forward nice and slow. That keeps me from yawing until I get up enough airspeed to use the rudder. Don't know why twin engine planes suffer from engine torque in the game but they do...

Hope that helps.

S!

VW-IceFire
05-03-2006, 09:22 PM
Why wouldn't a twin suffer from engine torque? The only plane with contra-rotating propellers is the P-38. All other twins have two of the same engine that spin in the same direction so you have torque...

Most of the aircraft with alot of torque you need to use a few methods to keep the plane from getting out of control on the runway.

1) Ensure that you've selected both engines so you aren't spinning up just one.

2) Lock the tailwheel.

3) Power up slowly and pull back on the stick right away to keep the tail on the ground.

4) Once speed has built up and the rudder begins to gain effect...release pressure on the stick and let the tail rise.

5) Take off.

Crash_Moses
05-04-2006, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
Why wouldn't a twin suffer from engine torque? The only plane with contra-rotating propellers is the P-38. All other twins have two of the same engine that spin in the same direction so you have torque...

lol...and I used to think I knew what I was talking about. Thanks, IceFire! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

But what about the squishy rudder on the Pe-2? Normal?

S!

TgD Thunderbolt56
05-04-2006, 11:15 AM
Not sure but you may be controlling only 1 engine with CEM turned on thus causing the near-uncontrollable rotation in the yaw axis. Check your 'controls' menu and make sure you have the ability to select each engine AND bind a key to 'select all engines' to be used after you've started them both individually.

TB

Crash_Moses
05-04-2006, 11:18 AM
Nope, but I suspect that may be the answer to mfruin's original problem... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

mfruin
05-04-2006, 08:08 PM
My mistake. Not selecting all engines before throttlingup, resulting in uncontrollable torque and yaw. Thanks to all.

Daytraders
05-04-2006, 08:33 PM
2) Lock the tailwheel.

once your airborne do you have to unlock the tailwheel ? , and hi

zero85ZEN
05-04-2006, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:
Not sure but you may be controlling only 1 engine with CEM turned on thus causing the near-uncontrollable rotation in the yaw axis. Check your 'controls' menu and make sure you have the ability to select each engine AND bind a key to 'select all engines' to be used after you've started them both individually.

TB

Anybody notice that on the Pe-2 you can select both engins and start them up at the same time? Yes I'm using CEM. I wondered about it and haven't found it on any other planes. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif

EDIT: Weird...this isn't the case for me any longer. But I swear it was like this right after I installed the add-on and I didn't change any settings that I'm aware of. I even checked other planes at the time I noticed this and they all were normal...very strange. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Draughluin1
05-05-2006, 03:00 AM
Yes, keep the tailwheel locked. Read somewhere that it can adversly effect flight performance, though I've never noticed it in the sim. Remember to unlock it for taxiing around the base though.

triggerhappyfin
05-07-2006, 03:14 AM
Yes shes a bit tricky with low speed. But have you guys looked at your conf.ini file? I got my settings changed with the new install.
I had to adjust the axis all over but still the Peshka is one of it's owne.

Daytraders
05-07-2006, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Draughluin1:
Yes, keep the tailwheel locked. Read somewhere that it can adversly effect flight performance, though I've never noticed it in the sim. Remember to unlock it for taxiing around the base though.

so do you have to lock tail wheel for every plane before takeoff and keep it locked ?

TgD Thunderbolt56
05-08-2006, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by Daytraders:
so do you have to lock tail wheel for every plane before takeoff and keep it locked ?

I've never locked any of the tailwheels on any of the birds I've flown (including carrier ops). It's not intrisically necessary for successful takeoffs though it could help...at times.

TB