PDA

View Full Version : setup (il2setup.exe) a quick question/poll

e5kimo
10-07-2004, 05:08 AM
i came across a really bizarre problem. there is this bloke who tried to fly on my coop servers for about 3 weeks and we couldnt figure out why he couldnt connect when joining a dogfight server through HL never gave him any problems.
on and off we tried to trouble shoot and today i was watching the incoming traffic on my firewall and while i saw his icmp packets no udp was sent when he attempted to connect to the server ...
to cut to the chase, after a while going through his network settings we stumbled upon an oddity. his network tab in il2setup.exe (setup in the il2 start menu folder) lists additional settings. while i can choose my connection type ( various modem speeds, cable, xdsl, isdn), skin download and the default port he had additional options. one he refered to over teamspeak as ip which gave him three options. default, 192...(his lan ip) and 202...(his real ip) after setting this to his real ip he could finaly connect.

my question now .. do you have those extra settings , where do they come from ? i checked with various people and he seems the only person to have extra settings. he can feel truely special but it is a mystery nonetheless.

Weather_Man
10-07-2004, 05:17 AM
I'm not certain, but I believe it works something like this: those who have static or multiple static IPs are given the extra IP options. Those with dynamic IPs only have the dialup/cable/dsl/lan options.

BM357_TinMan
10-07-2004, 05:43 AM
Your buddy is most likely on DSL, or some service that requires some sort of connection software like AOL.

e5kimo
10-07-2004, 08:08 AM
yea, he is on dsl but so am i and he is not with aol or anything similar meaning he doesnt use any special software to connect. just the regular modem/router setup that is common for adsl.
i will ask him wether his ip is static but if that would make the difference i wonder how the exe would determine this. my ip is dynamic but usually doesnt change for weeks.

Tully__
10-07-2004, 08:12 AM
There are two situations in which this occurs.

1. Some DSL connections. It depends on how the ISP assigns IP addresses whether a particular DSL connection has it or not.

2. I you have more than one active network card in your PC.

e5kimo
10-07-2004, 08:17 AM
aaaahhhh more than one network card !!! .. that might be the cause .. when he read me his ipconfig results i noticed that he has two NIC installed.

thanks for clearing that up tully http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Tully__
10-07-2004, 08:40 AM
On further thought you may also get it on some router/home network setups, but we appear to have already explained the circumstances you were after http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.