PDA

View Full Version : Enemy Aircraft

worldreptiles
08-14-2007, 07:58 AM
What I'm looking for may not be possible but after searching the forum with no results i figured i would ask anyway. My question is, is there any way while playing online to distinguish between friendly and enemy aircraft? Something like the persons name and color next to the aircraft.

Thanks

super71957
08-14-2007, 08:37 AM
Some servers do have icons on,it is usually red vs blue.Some prefer no icons and proper planesets just as it would have been in WWII.It is very difficult at first to tell who is who,eventually though you can start to reconize enemy aircraft.Wildcats vs. Zero"s for example you can start to distinguish one from the other.With lots of patience and practice it can be done.Even though it may not seem that way at first.Best thing to do is hook up with a expierenced wingman to help show you the way.If that is not your thing tho there are plenty of servers with icons all on or limited icons ie. friendly only or limited view distance.
Thats one great thing about this sim is that there is something for everybody. Have fun!!
Oh Yeah,when you click on the server you may want to fly in ,look in the top left hand corner for all the info you need.

TgD Thunderbolt56
08-14-2007, 08:38 AM
Depends on the server you fly on. If you fly on the Warclouds server, they have "icons" on all aircraft. Once you get better at IDing aircraft, then you may find a few no-icon servers better to your liking.

If you join through Hyperlobby or AllSeeingEye, you can actually check some of the setting before you join to see if it's to your liking.

TB

worldreptiles
08-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Ok, thanks alot for your help. That was just what i was looking for.

Bikewer
08-14-2007, 06:56 PM
I admit this always bothered me a bit. Icons seem rather silly, of course, but then again so does the phenomenon of the player with the best rig having an advantage.
If you can run super resolutions, you naturally have a bit of a leg up on someone with less of an uber-computer.

I don't know if there's any cure for this, though.

VW-IceFire
08-15-2007, 03:37 PM
Sometimes the super resolutions make it harder, not easier, to see a distant dot which at 800x600 is a pretty big dot while at 1600x1200 is fairly tiny in comparison.

Icons, although maybe a bit silly looking, is I think the only suitable replacement for not having the full ability of the human eye. In reality you can pick off what type of plane reasonably well even off in the distance while in the sim its still just a dot. The problem of course with icons is that they are perfect while in reality you may see something but come to the wrong conclusion so that uncertainty is lost.

LEXX_Luthor
08-20-2007, 01:43 AM
IceFire -- think of fully configurable DOTS as icons, and the scales drop from the eyes. The dots really are a form of icon. Someday, the cfs Devs will figure this out. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Sadly, high resolution helps to ID aircraft larger than the dots.

Fly with low res to see distant dots.
Fly with high res to see nearer aircraft with more detail.

I would guess this is an irrational connumdrum.

DKoor
08-20-2007, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by worldreptiles:
What I'm looking for may not be possible but after searching the forum with no results i figured i would ask anyway. My question is, is there any way while playing online to distinguish between friendly and enemy aircraft? Something like the persons name and color next to the aircraft.

Thanks The most usual way on no icon enviroment is by judging their movements........if you can orientate good then you know where are the enemy and where are your lines, so you can "inspect" all suspects.

It is a matter of experience, but if you "soak up" some suggestions from here you'll quickly learn it.

DKoor
08-20-2007, 10:42 PM
Funny thing.........I just saw an aircraft small Cessna with upper wing (one engine) and it was really at least 1,5-2km away and I could really distinguish it.......

The sim fails heavily at this point.

Bearcat99
08-21-2007, 10:07 AM
IMO icons under 1k are the best compromise. Personally I prefer to fly in servers with tight icons than ones with no icons. I have been looking right at a target down low and have it seem to just disappear right before my eyes.... You might want to make sure that you have not accidentally toggled off your icons as well.

JimmyBlonde
08-24-2007, 08:58 AM
Learn & practice your aircraft IDs.

Get higher than the dogfight.
Pick the safest highest target.
Make a pass.
As you get closer you will recognise the shillouette (can't spell that blasted froggy word to save my life)

If it's a friendly wave off, if it's an enemy wade in!

JG53Frankyboy
08-24-2007, 09:18 AM
tracercolors can also help.

SUPERAEREO
08-24-2007, 09:22 AM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f182/FlavioZ/Aviation/AI.jpg

OK, that book is from 1941 so it's not of much use, but the principle is the same: familiarise yourself with aircraft silhouettes.

"View Objects" on the main screen of the sim can be used for the purpose, zoom out and rotate the aircraft with your mouse so that you can see them from every point of view.

S!

K_Freddie
08-30-2007, 07:21 AM
Takes a bit of practice, always fly defensive and every dot is an enemy, and definitely if they shoot at you... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif