PDA

View Full Version : A collection of WTH moments: my digested reaction to ACR single-player

Zrvan
11-26-2011, 08:20 PM
I'm kind of upset, now that I've had a few days to digest the end of Ezio's game story (haven't seen Embers, more on that later).

I can't help but feel a shortened development time has hamstrung the story of the single player. I don't really care about affixing blame, I just want to make known that I wasn't happy with how things played out.

The grand arc of the game is cool, to me -- Ezio trying to find out about Altair's final days, falling in love with Sophia, aiding the Ottomans -- these are all Good Things. I can't help but feel they were all handled somewhat sloppily, though (except Sophia, that was fine).

When Ezio finally gets to Constantinople, for example, he's greeted by Yusuf at the docks, and the two are friends instantly, Yusuf tutorials Ezio on what he needs to do to be awesome in the new game, and then he's off to wait at a future story mission.

I would have found the beginning of ACR more compelling if Ezio is handed a 2/Brotherhood style mission, and in completing it, screws up a six-month operation that Yusuf and co. were planning for a very long time. Ezio would start the game in the doghouse with the Constantinople Assassins, and he has to work his way out by learning Den Defense, Hookblade and Bombs, and demonstrate competency eliminating Templar agents. Once he proves he's not a bull in a china shop, the local Assassins start to warm to him.

Instead, he shows up and everybody loves him and gives him new toys instantly. Granted, he is Il Mentore, but I feel like he should have had some work to do prove he is the Man, the Myth, the Legend.

Similarly, I felt the Altair missions were a little ham-handed. Abbas, so far as I remember, is essentially a new villain created whole from cloth for Altair to oppose. That seems a little awkward to me. Why couldn't someone from 1 become the villain? Or, could Abbas' sudden appearance be made more jarring by Altair remaining in the dark for a while longer about who he was?

I also don't like the Hookblade. I'm all for employing a little artistic license - physics (I play God of War games, for example), but I don't understand how a little tiny piece of metal with a little tiny hook on the end is going to repeatedly hold up a man of Ezio's not inconsiderable size every time he goes winging through the city. What's more, the damn thing's hollow -- usually depicted as only a little thicker than a soft drink can's wall. I realize a hookblade is probably steel rather than aluminum, but the thing would probably have to be harnessed to his entire torso to not go flying of whenever he uses it to hang or zipline. There could have been any explanation at all for how it worked -- 'made from the same alloy as the Apple' but no, we're just supposed to accept this preposterous contraption.

Finally, I don't like the Black Room. For a game billed as 'Revelations,' it sure is empty of any re: Desmond's life. This aggravating when we are specifically promised Desmond's backstory, and it's the same information Vidic recites in one, which if you play the PS3 version like I do, is ON THE SAME DISK. You literally have to go zero feet to reach that info.

So, yeah, in terms of story, I don't like ACR. It feels rushed and incomplete. The pay off isn't much, and we're literally left hanging on the same damn cliffhanger as the end of Brotherhood.

Fortunately, the gameplay makes up for it. With the minor bug-a-boo of have to learn Turkish free-running, the gameplay is a super-tight refinement of the stuff I liked in AC2 and ACB. Things that needed improving are improved (apprentice training), and all steps backwards are tiny and inconsequential (crossbow is a main-hand weapon? throwning knives all game, then).

I haven't played multiplayer yet. My roommates have, though, and they love the crap out of it, especially Deathmatch. We shall see. It looks tight -- none of the MP skins make me want to quit a game except for once again, the Jester.

twenty_glyphs
11-27-2011, 08:17 PM
I agree with most of your points. The story was good but just lacking some of the magic of AC2 and even Brotherhood. At least Brotherhood flowed naturally out of AC2 and had a pretty good modern setting with a little mystery and the coolness of being in Monterrigioni 500 years after Ezio. I think what we're seeing is the shoe-horning of this new story into the existing storyline. I think Brotherhood worked so well because some of its elements were actually cut from AC2 and then expanded upon to create a complete game. Revelations suffers more for existing on its own and just doesn't entirely fit, especially since Desmond is basically marking time until AC3. Perhaps naming it something other than "Revelations" wouldn't have built up such expectations for its story, but they probably would have still billed it as answering tons of questions that it never did.

I don't blame you for not knowing this, but Abbas was actually in AC1. He greeted Alta´r at the Masyaf castle gate when Alta´r returned after failing in Jerusalem at the start of the game, and had some jealous/nasty attitude toward Alta´r. You could tell there was some history between the two at the time. But I only found that out when I went looking for that kind of detail after reading The Secret Crusade.

DoctorMoby
11-28-2011, 12:45 AM
AC:R was basically rushed because ubi has a plot deadline they have to beat 12.21.12 and we get GLHF with our half!@@ story lines. thanks ubi for false titles and false advertisement.

DoctorMoby
11-28-2011, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by DoctorMoby:
AC:R was basically rushed because ubi has a plot deadline they have to beat 12.21.12 and we get GLHF with our half!@@ story lines. thanks ubi for false titles and false advertisement.

and by this i purely mean AC:R didn't reveal anything.. and that is all thank you

Razrback16
11-28-2011, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by twenty_glyphs:
I agree with most of your points. The story was good but just lacking some of the magic of AC2 and even Brotherhood. At least Brotherhood flowed naturally out of AC2 and had a pretty good modern setting with a little mystery and the coolness of being in Monterrigioni 500 years after Ezio. I think what we're seeing is the shoe-horning of this new story into the existing storyline. I think Brotherhood worked so well because some of its elements were actually cut from AC2 and then expanded upon to create a complete game. Revelations suffers more for existing on its own and just doesn't entirely fit, especially since Desmond is basically marking time until AC3. Perhaps naming it something other than "Revelations" wouldn't have built up such expectations for its story, but they probably would have still billed it as answering tons of questions that it never did.

I don't blame you for not knowing this, but Abbas was actually in AC1. He greeted Alta´r at the Masyaf castle gate when Alta´r returned after failing in Jerusalem at the start of the game, and had some jealous/nasty attitude toward Alta´r. You could tell there was some history between the two at the time. But I only found that out when I went looking for that kind of detail after reading The Secret Crusade.

Really hoping they find a way to tweak the storyline so that the next game doesn't have to be the last one. They have so much material that they can build on for more story / ancestors, etc.

Ferrith
12-05-2011, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by twenty_glyphs:

I also agree.
Abbas was a "flat" character (as opposed to "round"=> convincing). The fact so many in the brotherhood sided with him after Al Mualim's death was an awkward moment, not really justified. Where was Malik, really? AC ends up with Malik as a witness, for those who remember.