PDA

View Full Version : Real life animus- Could one be created?

AssassinBlaze
06-27-2011, 10:41 AM
I always think of crazy things sometimes but is this crazy making a animus and seeing ancestors memorys? I know DNA would have to be studed a lot more than it is now, could or will it happen, if anyone knows ANYTHING post it please.Thnks.

medcsu11
06-27-2011, 10:56 AM
Cmon man.....

AssassinBlaze
06-27-2011, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by medcsu11:
Cmon man.....

What the hell dont post anything if it isnt answering my question whats the point?

AMuppetMatt
06-27-2011, 11:03 AM
All DNA is are codes for making proteins. From proteins neurons are built, and it's in neurons that the brain is formed and subsequently our memories.

Basically you're asking if it's possible to store memories within things that require thousands of them (hell, millions) to actually function.

It would be like saying "Can I make a million pounds (or dollars for my American friends, heck, input your own local currency if neither of these countries are the country of you're origin) from a single unit of said currency.

Answer: Impossible.
No matter how much research is done... Impossible.

medcsu11
06-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by AssassinBlaze:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by medcsu11:
Cmon man.....

What the hell dont post anything if it isnt answering my question whats the point? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I answered it the way I did because your question is insanely stupid.

iN3krO
06-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by medcsu11:
Cmon man.....

+1

AMuppetMatt
06-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Believe me, had you not beaten me to the disdainful answer I would have answered in exactly the same way...

Blind2Society
06-27-2011, 12:40 PM
I think you answered it just right muppet. The way the other guy answered was borderline trolling. Then he came back and went full troll http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Calvarok
06-27-2011, 02:08 PM
I don't think that memories are actually physically recorded. I think that sights and sounds are, but the way the body remembers those don't nessesarily have any chronology.

It would probably make no sense if you tried to use it, and that's assuming that the physical "memories" of your ancestors can be passed along without blending into one big mess, or passed along at all.

Doubt it.

AntiChrist7
06-27-2011, 02:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdlJ4bPsUuU

the science of games gives you the answer

dchil279
06-27-2011, 02:37 PM
It is not completely outside the realm of possibility but the whole notion that your DNA records your ancestor's memories is something that was made up for this game, sooooooooooooooooooo, no.

GlytchMeister
06-27-2011, 03:40 PM
I agree with the rest of you, but just for the sake of argument, I'll play devil's advocate here:

The DNA within our cells is largely useless, last I heard. Most of it is referred to as "junk DNA" or "Junk Genes." I'm a little rusty here, but so far as I know, today's scientists have no idea what those junk genes are for.
I know it's far-fetched, but it is remotely possible that those junk genes are the archives for our ancestral memories.

Now, assuming that's true, how did our cells manage to create a CGAT Code that functions sometimes as a biological blueprint and other times as an ancestral memory archive? How are the two sections separated? Are they all jumbled together, or are all the blueprint genes in one section and all the library genes in another? Why don't our genes steadily grow with each generation? Is there a "File Compression" function that keeps the length of our DNA in check, or do we simply delete the oldest ancestor?
What keeps the Library Genes from mutating, naturally or due to external causes? Is it possible to transfer someone's Library Genes into someone else?

I don't have the time or the patience to answer all of those. And don't just throw the TOWCB excuse at them, because the Animus works with normal people, like Rebecca, not just DemiGods like Desmond.

I'll leave you to chew on all those for a while. If someone who is a little more up-to-date on Junk Genes sees this, please tell me if I was right in saying we don't know what they're for.

iN3krO
06-27-2011, 04:02 PM
We don't change our DNA since we are concieved (and if we do so, it's just mutations), have u seen that interview? it's just bull****...

The junk DNA is not really junk, it's there to split the genes in "words" and to make diffrent cells (of diffrent type) interpet those "words" in diffrent ways. Also, a combination of 3 "letters" that is considered junk DNA in an animal is not considered junk DNA in another animals and that's due to the RNAs (DNA = ADN in PT so i supose ARN = RNA in EN) each animal have...

SleezeRocker
06-27-2011, 04:36 PM
Can you "make" an Animus...yeah you could build one (maybe with legos?) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Can you make a "working" animus...No lol

sassinscreed
06-28-2011, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by AssassinBlaze:
I always think of crazy things sometimes but is this crazy making a animus and seeing ancestors memorys? I know DNA would have to be studed a lot more than it is now, could or will it happen, if anyone knows ANYTHING post it please.Thnks.

A picture is worth a thousand words

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/107/3/b/triple_facepalm_by_pip3r_cz-d3e6t06.jpg

swiftkinfe
06-29-2011, 02:33 PM
A hidden blade yes why not make 2?!

Hidden gun just refer to zip guns and there you go already a real world device just strapped to your wrist.

Assassin Brotherhood- Go to the middle east and see if anyones willing.

Animus- no simply put no.If possible it would take so much work and research it no one would care at a certain point and stop production.As cool as it is just not something possible with us.You would have a better chance at bringing back the Assassins then building an animus.In the meantime just use some Legos.

sug_2293
06-30-2011, 11:05 PM
i dont think so

But i would be interesing if like we find an ancestor, then make a machine that can recreate to some extent the situation and the people they live with, and just let us free like a role playing game and perhaps we would act similarly to our ancestors

Jockman52
07-07-2011, 03:18 AM
actually scientists have found out that genes are like a library they translate down from oldest to newest and that memories from your ancestors are held in the brain they found this out when they had a discussion about how pets were brought about as when your pet has a baby it will be friendly to you because its brain is made from the cells of the parents which in turn holds dna and if the parent of the child is wild and the child is raised without the parent the child will be wild until it develops its own personal memories same happens for all species. To tell you the truth i believe an animus could be made but not in our grandchildrens grandchildrens grandchildrens lifetime . because the fact is an animus accesses dormant memories while right now we cant access peoples personal memories unless they tell us or someone else tells us that shared that memory. That should wrap up everything i have to say for now;D

NORTHBOERN1
07-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Memories aren't stored in DNA. If a memory could be generated by proteins or RNA, and the person experiencing the actual event could alter his or her own DNA to pass the genetic memory than it could. We can't direct/alter the sequence of our nucleotides though. You could be predipositioned to handle situations like your ancestors due to DNA.

The above post about your pets babies liking you because they inherited liking you through DNA is a not true at all.

lukaszep
07-07-2011, 03:31 PM
People turning away from this question and calling it stupid are ignorant. We know next to nothing about our brains, and DNA so to say that it's impossible is ridiculously naive.
There's some research into this type of thing and the answer is, no one really knows. But there is a chance memories are stored, or at least partially stored there. Sure, there's little evidence, other than things such as birds knowing where to migrate, and animals basic instincts, but you can't rule it out.
But then building an animus...Um. Well it's described as creating a virtual environment from code in the DNA. How the hell that would work i have no idea, as the machine would have to convert, basically subconsious into a projected image, and then linking it to a usable machine that connects with the users nervous system. But, nothing is impossible.
The animus won't be on the market in our lifetime, so don't get your hopes up.

NORTHBOERN1
07-07-2011, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by lukaszep:
People turning away from this question and calling it stupid are ignorant. We know next to nothing about our brains, and DNA so to say that it's impossible is ridiculously naive.
There's some research into this type of thing and the answer is, no one really knows. But there is a chance memories are stored, or at least partially stored there. Sure, there's little evidence, other than things such as birds knowing where to migrate, and animals basic instincts, but you can't rule it out.
But then building an animus...Um. Well it's described as creating a virtual environment from code in the DNA. How the hell that would work i have no idea, as the machine would have to convert, basically subconsious into a projected image, and then linking it to a usable machine that connects with the users nervous system. But, nothing is impossible.
The animus won't be on the market in our lifetime, so don't get your hopes up. It wouldn't turn subconsious into an image, but a sequence of four molecules (A,T,C,G) into an image. Or converting the RNA into an image, or converting the protein created from the RNA The problem with the whole idea is we can't change our genetice sequence by thought/experience. The bird migrating etc. is dictated by DNA, but acquired through a long process of natural selection. If somebody could give me a way this could work I think it'd be great. Being predispositioned to handle a situation like our ancestor does exist, if natural selection would have acted upon it... or it just got passed along like our junk DNA.

NORTHBOERN1
07-07-2011, 04:39 PM
So, how are memories stored @ the molecular level, in us? If you've got a way to answer, no links to your inet research http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif, your own thoughts only or how you intereperated the sites you looked at. That's how original ideas are discovered http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

lukaszep
07-08-2011, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by NORTHBOERN1:
So, how are memories stored @ the molecular level, in us? If you've got a way to answer, no links to your inet research http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif, your own thoughts only or how you intereperated the sites you looked at. That's how original ideas are discovered http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Is this another reply to my post?
I don't claim to know answers, just my main point was that we don't know enough about our genetics to be able to say whether or not memories are stored there. Who knows? Not much is known about memory anyway so who's to say memories can't be passed down.

NORTHBOERN1
07-08-2011, 10:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NORTHBOERN1:

I don't claim to know answers, just my main point was that we don't know enough about our genetics to be able to say whether or not memories are stored there. Who knows? Not much is known about memory anyway so who's to say memories can't be passed down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, we do know enough.

lukaszep
07-08-2011, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by NORTHBOERN1:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lukaszep:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NORTHBOERN1:

I don't claim to know answers, just my main point was that we don't know enough about our genetics to be able to say whether or not memories are stored there. Who knows? Not much is known about memory anyway so who's to say memories can't be passed down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, we do know enough. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No (http://www.askabiologist.org.uk/answers/viewtopic.php?id=5587) we don't. Scientists don't even know exactly how the brain processes memory.

NORTHBOERN1
07-08-2011, 12:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lukaszep:

I don't claim to know answers, just my main point was that we don't know enough about our genetics to be able to say whether or not memories are stored there. Who knows? Not much is known about memory anyway so who's to say memories can't be passed down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, we do know enough. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No (http://www.askabiologist.org.uk/answers/viewtopic.php?id=5587) we don't. Scientists don't even know exactly how the brain processes memory. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>We know they aren't passed through DNA, that's for sure.

EDIT: or stored in DNA

LightRey
07-10-2011, 07:58 PM
I think the critics here are ignoring an important fact about DNA. There have been many studies that show that specific parts of the DNA code can actually be activated and deactivated. This is called epigenetics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigenetics). Now if we combine this concept with the fact that the majority of human DNA is so-called "Junk DNA", it's relatively easy to imagine that it is possible to "encode" memories onto, rather than into, the DNA.

Animuses
07-10-2011, 10:01 PM
It actually has been created, but not by the fictional company Abstergo.
It was created by... Apple, obviously.

LightRey
07-11-2011, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Animuses:
It actually has been created, but not by the fictional company Abstergo.
It was created by... Apple, obviously.

The funny thing is, that would make SO much sense.

LaCava1
07-11-2011, 04:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0

In all seriousness, though, most of these people have it right. DNA isn't actually an archive of memories, therefore it is impossible.

E-Zekiel
07-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Questions like this can't really be answered for certain until we find a way to decode thought processes, memories etc into something we can read and process in our mind in some way other than we already obviously use that occurs passively and automatically. Something we can read and conceive and all that.

Sinore_Assassin
07-11-2011, 09:32 PM
I do not believe it is possible, but memories in the simplest form can be passed on, like "Instinkts"(correct my spelling on that word if neccisary) in animals, example:Flying north for the winter, although i dont think this applys.

SAVMATIC
07-12-2011, 03:47 AM
absolutely. even though dumb humans cant comprehend it, just like when ppl thought the Earth was flat. its a constantly repeating process but humans are ******ed so they always think they are at the pinacle of technology. smh. yall dont know ****. just spewing out info & opinions you were told by someone else. wake up.

LightRey
07-12-2011, 04:28 AM
well, ehm, to put what SAVMATIC said a little more politely, regardless of what anyone here thinks this is theoretically possible, especially because they don't elaborate much on the subject other than that it uses human DNA to store information and is somehow linked to animal instinct, which leaves a lot of options open. Not to mention the fact that we really know almost nothing about how DNA works.

EmmaBemma
07-12-2011, 05:21 AM
We know enough about DNA to know that detailed personal experiences of individuals are not encoded within them. Now things like historical changes in diet (such as that resulting from the rise of agriculture), general lifestyle and migration are believable (and somewhat possible already).

And people had always suspected the Earth was round, and the theory was widely supported. The church never challenged Christopher Columbus or the idea that the earth is round, as is widely believed.

LightRey
07-12-2011, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by EmmaBemma:
We know enough about DNA to know that detailed personal experiences of individuals are not encoded within them. Now things like historical changes in diet (such as that resulting from the rise of agriculture), general lifestyle and migration are believable (and somewhat possible already).

And people had always suspected the Earth was round, and the theory was widely supported. The church never challenged Christopher Columbus or the idea that the earth is round, as is widely believed.
no, we really really don't know enough. In fact, I can basically sum up what we know in general about human DNA right here:
1. A small part of it appears to be used for encoding the primary structure of enzymes.
2. Parts of our DNA can be activated or deactivated by the human body.
3. the knowledge of a part of our DNA being active or inactive can and is passed down along with it.
4. The majority of our DNA is so-called "junk DNA" of which we have no clue as to what it's used for.
you're right about people believing the Earth being round though.

NORTHBOERN1
07-12-2011, 08:44 AM
The only way memories can be stored in DNA is if an outside influence (aliens etc.) can create a piece of dna that can be decoded from the four molecules making the dna (or its product rna or rnas product protein) and decode it into a memory.

Now the dna has to be inserted into a chromosome; which is possible with our technology, using one cell that eventually divides, and all descendant cells keep that piece of dna.

If we wanted to do that to a macroorganism I'd suggest inserting it into a virus and flooding the multicelled organism with the memory encoded dna (in the virus) in hopes it gets to the cells in the body that creates gamettes. So it has a possibility of being passed through the next generations.

We're not able to change our DNA due to an experience. Just curious, but do you think all our cells woyuld need to store the memroy? Or just one cell in particular, maybe the cells in our bone marrow? I wonder why it would be best to insert the dna into our bone marrow http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif!

I think if the people responding to this question had much of a science background it wouldn't be just the "you're dumb" "we know nothing about dna" etc. We know quite a bit about dna, and how a cell works.

My research in college was on a tick in Minensota that passes a disease called lyme disease from a bacteria in its stomach. My job was to collect the tick off deer, insert it into tube containig an enzyme that keeps rna from breaking down (it has a short half life to keep from creating to much of the protein it encodes for), taking the rna back to a lab, and through many steps converting the rna back into dna to decode its sequence. This was in hopes of determing essential proteins (from the dna sequence) the tick creates when feeding of an organism.

EmmaBemma
07-12-2011, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by LightRey:
3. the knowledge of a part of our DNA being active or inactive can and is passed down along with it.
Do you have a cite for that? I know of gene expression and that genes do switch on and off throughout your lifetime, but I've never heard that they create any long-lasting change to your germ cells (which they'd need to in order to be passed on).

LightRey
07-12-2011, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by EmmaBemma:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:
Do you have a cite for that? I know of gene expression and that genes do switch on and off throughout your lifetime, but I've never heard that they create any long-lasting change to your germ cells (which they'd need to in order to be passed on). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'll ask my mother if she knows of any articles, she's the one who explained this to me (she's a doctor).

godsmack_darius
07-24-2011, 02:36 AM
remember when flying to the moon was crazy and ruled out as sci fi...same thing here

Dag_B
07-24-2011, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by GlytchMeister:

The DNA within our cells is largely useless, last I heard. Most of it is referred to as "junk DNA" or "Junk Genes." I'm a little rusty here, but so far as I know, today's scientists have no idea what those junk genes are for.
I know it's far-fetched, but it is remotely possible that those junk genes are the archives for our ancestral memories.
The problem here is, that those "junk DNA"-parts are mostly the same in all humans. Mine DNA is not that different from your DNA but as we have different ancesters is should be if the DNA stores things of them. Even with activation and deactivation of parts it's not that variable that you can store hundreds of complete lives. And considering how few genes we share with out childrens children... Our children get 50%, their children have 25% of our gens, their children 12,5% etc. It's so fast "thinned out" that I don't think you can pass a whole life through the generations even if some points would be saved on the DNA. How would you restore a life if only 12,5% of the genes of the individual are passed? And if you think of Altair and Desmond they share like 0,000...1% of genes. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I do believe there are other kinds of memory storage than just the brain but I do not think they are on the DNA-level.
I am thinking more about people getting an organ of an other person (e.g. a heart) and can e.g. play piano which they couldn't before. You can't explain that yet but I think that might be a hint to other memory storage systems on a cellular level. But till we get behind those we must understand how the brain works first, which is mostly unknown yet. (We know it works through neurons but I mean on a higher level, how does the synchronisation of those cause complex behaviours and stuff).

Necnill
07-24-2011, 08:15 AM
I had to de-lurk to chip in to this. xD I should say, as far as things go, I really doubt there could be an animus made. However, I study Psychology and neuroscience, and there's an article I read a few weeks back - something about the neurons in the developing brain are likely to link up in a pre-determined order, rather than being a mass of tangled neurons that you sort out as you grow - the article suggested this could be an indication of the basis of instinct, if I remember right. But of course, whatever codes for that order is genetic, so.. I suppose perhaps in a way there's some evidence for knowledge being passed down. I suspect said knowledge would mostly be the product of "X organism knows not to jump into water and drown, therefore it prospers and has a tonne of babies. Y organism drowns before reproduction. The next generation has an inbuilt tendancy not to drown themselves" rather than "My ancestor had a thing for jumping around rooftops and I have everything from their life stored in my brain". If you were going to be really unrealistic, I suppose you could say that if there's a pre-determined order of neurons passed from generation to generation, then there may be a possibility of having some form of memory encoded in there from ancestors. I really doubt this is the case, but hey, I'm not going to ruin your fun. xD

Something that might also be of interest if you were going to try and build up that unrealistic theory would be the Flynn effect - the jist of it is that generations get significantly and consistently smarter as they go along (this has been observed whenever they recallibrate IQ tests). If you had to fit that in, it could be an off the wall argument that some sort of environmental knowledge rather than instinct is passed through genetics.

I feel like a terrible science student for feeding this. xD But it's so fun..!

Eliapacciolla
01-05-2013, 07:22 PM
i think is impossible who's the dna can remember something of 3000 years ago but if the ubisoft made one they can be just a vedeogame console or not?

jenyto
01-05-2013, 07:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Biv_8xjj8E

reddragonhrcro
01-05-2013, 07:43 PM
As much as cool it would be it would be the same way creepy.Wouldn´t exactly want to see what my ancestors were doing in their "private" time.

lothario-da-be
01-05-2013, 07:48 PM
As much as cool it would be it would be the same way creepy.Wouldn´t exactly want to see what my ancestors were doing in their "private" time.
Yeah creepy think about it, somebody could be watching me while i'am typing this:p IF it is possible...

xboxauditore
01-05-2013, 08:01 PM
Yeah creepy think about it, somebody could be watching me while i'am typing this:p IF it is possible...

There IS someone watching you, But not through the Animus.........

lothario-da-be
01-05-2013, 08:08 PM
There IS someone watching you, But not through the Animus.........
God? My mom? YOU?

dewgel
01-05-2013, 09:21 PM

Of course it can't ya mad ****

PsychoKiller293
05-07-2014, 06:49 PM
Bros that say its impossible. Could anybody immagine a sub in 1700 or whatever? Then someone write a book about a a sub , few century later , there it is a sub. Who could immaginne a tv ? Nobody lol . Or who would even think that making "clones" is possible(it is but it got prohibited) . So why couldnt an animus be possible like in 2100/2200 or earlier depends on how fast we gonna expand( mental).
Sorry for my english , i didnt have time + im not english.

cawatrooper9
05-07-2014, 07:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzPj3xjM0Vo

Interesting stuff.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-07-2014, 07:15 PM
Yes.

Hans684
05-07-2014, 07:35 PM
Just like everything else, give it time. It will happen one day like the first rocket to the moon.

Shahkulu101
05-07-2014, 07:45 PM
Hope I'm not six feet under by the time this is invented - I could save up for a ticket to Florence now just in case...

TheHumanTowel
05-07-2014, 07:53 PM
No

Shahkulu101
05-07-2014, 07:59 PM
Oh the short sharpness of that sentence is bitingly conclusive, displaying the confidence in which you answer the OP. The tone is cynical, making no attempt to provide a balanced response and therefore making the outlook of actual Animus technology look bleak and impossible.

TheHumanTowel
05-07-2014, 08:13 PM
Oh the short sharpness of that sentence is bitingly conclusive, displaying the confidence in which you answer the OP. The tone is cynical, making no attempt to provide a balanced response and therefore making the outlook of actual Animus technology look bleak and impossible.
Well it's pretty obvious. There's not going to be a machine that lets you see the life of your peasant ancestor in 12th century France or anything.

Shahkulu101
05-07-2014, 08:21 PM
There already is a machine: your brain. And the power of imagination. Why, at present I'm in China with my ancestor Sir Thomas Lipton - nicking tea in the hope we can distribute it in Britain.

Hiranokohta05
12-09-2014, 04:21 AM
What the hell dont post anything if it isnt answering my question whats the point? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I answered it the way I did because your question is insanely stupid.

can we access our memory of another age through dreams

Pr0metheus 1962
12-09-2014, 04:30 AM

If DNA recorded memories, the coding would change throughout your life. It doesn't - at least not in any way that would indicate some sort of record being kept. Therefore DNA cannot possibly record memories. All it is is a sort of program for how to build and grow you, and for how to heal you if your body is damaged.

DNA recording a person's memories would be like an architectural blueprint recording everything that happens in the building made from it. It can't happen because the blueprint is finished before the house is even built.

wvstolzing
12-09-2014, 07:03 AM
What bugs me is that this 'dna recording' business rests on the assumption that your 'dna' is one long information-dump, supposedly containing all the bits that make you who you are.

Whereas it's more or a collection of tiny modules that contain nothing more than instructions to build proteins; and additional instructions as to how those modules will be called into action.

That's why we share the gene that accounts for our being symmetrical with maggots and grubs -- yeah, there's nothing 'human' about the 'gene for human symmetry'. It's the same old thing, inherited from a common ancestor who knows way back when.

Similar things go on for similar modules. What builds the jawbones of reptiles is 'expressed' ('called into action') differently in mammals, so it builds the bones in your inner ear. Thank the millions of years of random mutations that shifted that particular module to that particular function in mammals -- again, there's no "blueprint for mammal essences" written in anyone's DNA. It's a stupid module to build bones, stupidly warped thanks to random mutations, to result in your inner ear bones; and since those inner bones helped increase sound sensitivity in mammals, which in turn translated into survival advantage, that particular 'calling into action' stuck.

The only 'history' you can read off DNA is the history of protein building procedures, and evolutionary tweaks to their expression in individual species.

'Genetic memories' -- give me a break, the notion makes me puke.

Namikaze_17
12-09-2014, 07:39 AM
Perhaps...

But I think we'll all be gone before then. :rolleyes:

Gin0r
12-09-2014, 10:24 AM
Even if genetic memory was a thing – which it isn’t – there would be several problems:

DNA decays with each copy, like a cassette tape. That’s why we age: As our cells reproduce, they produce more and more copying errors leading to all kinds of things from wrinkly skin to organ failure... So how are the memory recordings supposed to stay intact?

Women have all their ova/ovums/ovae (whatever) fully formed at their birth, how are memories supposed to be recorded there?

*Your* DNA will not survive for more than a few generations:

Your Children will have 50% of your DNA, your grandchildren 25%, your grand-grandchildren 12.5% and so on... after 7 generations only about 0.75% of your DNA remains.
7 generations equal about 210 years, so even if genetic memories existed there would not be much there to extract.

Of course AC’s a fictional universe and I can accept that things just work this way there, I mean if you have prehistoric humans with a level of technology that made them almost god-like, a war between secret societes that has been raging for tens of thousands of years and people jumping down 20 story buildings and landing unharmed in a hay bale, genetic memory isn’t so far out anymore, is it?

But in this reality? Nope.

Maybe if we someday manage to record memories digitally... but no matter what Ray Kurzweill might believe, we’re still centuries away from being able to that.

Rafe Harwood
12-09-2014, 01:21 PM
Genetic memory has actually been proven, so we can get that argument out of the way straight away.

The problem with the question is how it's phrased, what is being asked?

Can we produce exactly what the animus does in the way it does it? probably not.

Can we produce something that lets us experience history? Tv and film do that, as do books.

Can we perform the same actions physically? No, the same people once killed are dead. We can aproximate it, but we cannot kill the same person twice.

So, no, we cannot perform actions in place of people from history (remember, we are not talking ancestor since Desmond kicked the bucket). We can however experience certain elements of history. Although that too will be tempered with hindsight and propeganda.