PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo MK1 ....what can you tell me about it?

MichaelMar
06-13-2005, 08:39 AM
What can you tell me about the new plane, Buffalo MK1? I flew it a couple of times and seems to handle pretty good, though not as manoverable as my FiatG.50, with decent fire power.

What was the role of the plane in WWII?
What weapons does it have?
What is the take off and landing speed?
Best Rate of Climb?
Is it a Turn and Burn plane?

...................???

THX

THX

hernanyork
06-13-2005, 09:09 AM
i fly it and is slow and good manoverable, in the wwii in the east indian fights whit honour against ki27b, ki43, a6m2, ki21, g3m the americans hate it, but the english and dutchs too. The only lovers of it were the finns whit the 339 the best version, more light and fast.

3.JG51_BigBear
06-13-2005, 09:18 AM
The Mk1 is a denavalied version of the F2A-2. It has four fifty calibre machine guns and was used by the British and Dutch in the early stages of the Pacific war because planes like the Spitfire and Hurricane were being held back for defense of the home island. The British thought the Japanese would be push overs and felt the Buffalo, which they considered an inferior airplane, would be more than adequate. Of course they got torn to pieces.

I fly the Buffalo like the Wildcat. Despite its very respectable turn radius and rate of roll, the plane is still much better as an energy fighter against Japanese aircraft.

F19_Olli72
06-13-2005, 09:41 AM
Googled this:
http://home.att.net/~jbaugher1/f2a_7.html

Btw hernanyork, a small correction (maybe its a typo?). The finns used B-239 version.

VW-IceFire
06-13-2005, 09:57 AM
I was sort of expecting our MK I's to represent the field modified versions with the 2 wing .50cals removed and two .303s installed instead.

JG53Frankyboy
06-13-2005, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
I was sort of expecting our MK I's to represent the field modified versions with the 2 wing .50cals removed and two .303s installed instead.

it has already to less ammo http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
250rpg instead 500rpg

so the SSSS (Shadows Super Sport Special) isnt far http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

and , here you should find the most things about the Brewster
http://www.warbirdforum.com/buff.htm

ElAurens
06-13-2005, 11:09 AM
It is a target. Plain and simple.

F19_Orheim
06-13-2005, 11:32 AM
It's a cr@pplane, with a beautiful cockpit - I like!

showboat1971
06-13-2005, 12:08 PM
Greg Boyington called it, and I quote, "A f%^$ing dog!" BUt he also said that the original version, without armor, self-sealing tanks, etc., was a real beauty to fly.

EJGrOst_Caspar
06-13-2005, 12:13 PM
For the earliest Buffalo version it has the best of all advantages ... a pretty gunsight! (british I think)

JG53Frankyboy
06-13-2005, 01:03 PM
actually the B-239 is the oldest in game.
its a denavilized F2A-1 , and it also saw at first combat in june 41

GerritJ9
06-13-2005, 01:26 PM
Aaaaaaaah, Brewster Buffalo, my favourite aeroplane. It was designed as the U.S. Navy's first monoplane fighter and also saw service with several other air forces.

The first version was the USN's F2A-1. 44 were sold to Finland after the Soviet Union attacked Finland in late 1939. These were denavalized versions, i.e arrester hook and other specific USN equipment was removed. They were shipped to Sweden, where they were assembled and flown to Finland. Although too late to see service in the Winter War, the Finns used them with devastating effect against the Soviet Union during the Continuation War. The lightest version of the Buffalo, it had a 950 hp Cyclone engine and was armed with three 0.50s and one 0.30 (sometimes replaced with a fourth 0.50) machine guns.

The USN's next version was the F2A-2 and had a 1200 hp Cyclone engine and four 0.50 machine guns as armament. This model is the best of the bunch (together with the Dutch B-339D version). Although heavier than the F2A-1 due to extra equipment and pilot armour, it was also much faster.
Several countries ordered denavalized versions of the F2A-2: Belgium ordered the B-339B, but these were never delivered to Belgium. The first was captured by the Germans at Bordeaux during shipment to Belgium, and several others were aboard the French aircraft carrier "BĂ©arn" en route to Europe when Belgium capitulated. They were then sent to Martinique, where they were later blown up by Allied saboteurs to prevent Vichy France using them against the Allies.. The remaining aeroplanes of the Belgian order were taken over by the British, but this version did not see much use by them. Was equipped with an 1100 hp Cyclone.
The British ordered their own version of the denavalized F2A-2, the B-339E or Buffalo Mk. 1. These aeroplanes had an 1100 hp Cyclone engine but the British specified a lot of extra equipment which considerably increased the weight of the aeroplane and had a markedly adverse effect on its performance- top speed, climb rate and manoeuverability were all significantly reduced. Having 100 hp less than the F2A-2 didn't help either. These aeroplanes saw combat against the Japanese over Malaya and Singapore but fared badly against the more nimble Japanese fighters. Armament was four 0.50s though some were modified to take four 0.303s instead.
The Dutch ordered 72 denavalized F2A-2s for the defence of the Netherlands East Indies. Although the Dutch specified 1200 hp Cyclones for all aeroplanes, not enough engines were available and the first 24 (B-395 to B-3118), known as the B-339C, were fitted with 1100 hp Cyclones. The next 48, known as the B-339D (B-3119 to B-3167), received the 1200 hp Cyclone. The Dutch aeroplanes were armed with two 0.50s in the wings and two 0.30s in the fuselage and could also carry two 50 kg bombs. The Dutch specified armour glass windscreens, reflector gunsights, self-sealing fuel tanks and pilot armour for their Brewsters, but production delays meant that not all of them actually received this equipment on the production line and this had to be installed later by the KNIL's workshops at Andir. It is not known whether all aeroplanes were equipped with all the specified equipment, but it seems likely that they weren't- the twelve Brewsters of 2-Vl.G-V that were sent to Singapore in December 1941 did not have armoured windscreens for example and these were supplied by the RAF, taken from written-off RAF Buffalos. The Dutch Brewsters were some 250 kg lighter than the RAF Buffalos and as a result had better overall performance, especially the 1200 hp B-339D.
Final version to see combat was the USN's F2A-3: like the RAF's Buffalo Mk. 1 heavily overloaded with extra armour and this version also had extra fuel tanks fitted. As with the RAF's aeroplanes performance suffered considerably compared to the F2A-2.

Three versions are now modelled in IL2FB/PF: the B-239, the F2A-2 and the Buffalo Mk. 1. The B-239 and F2A-2 handle well, and the F2A-2 is faster as it was in real life. The Buffalo Mk. 1 handles more sluggishly than the other two, and climbs more slowly. All three are modelled too slow however- the B-239 should be about 20 km/h faster at 5000m than it actually is, the Buffalo Mk. 1 is about 30-40 km/h too slow (depending on which source to believe) and the F2A-2 is also 40km/h too slow.

Like its contemporary, the Grumman F4F, the Brewster was a rugged aeroplane that could take a lot of punishment, punishment which would result in the destruction of its opponents. The IJAAF and IJN fighters could outclimb and outturn both F2A and F4F, but both could easily outdive all of the Japanese fighters. Both had heavier armament than the IJAAF fighters, only the Zero being superior in this respect. They were faster than the IJAAF fighters they faced, and the B-339D and F2A-2 were faster than the Zero. Several experienced Marine fighter pilots would have preferred the F2A-2 over the F4F-3 (NOT, it must be noted, the F2A-3 which was inferior to the F4F-3).

Compared to the Grumman F4F-3 Wildcat, the F2A-2 was superior in several respects- it was faster, could outturn the F4F, had better rear vision for the pilot and its wider track undercarriage was in theory better suited for deck landings. However, its one-piece wing construction meant that damage to one wing half meant that the whole wing assembly had to be replaced- with the F4F, only the damaged wing half would need replacing. But the main reason for the F4F-3 supplanting the F2A-2 was the hopelessly inefficient Brewster production line which was totally incapable of producing fighters in the quantity the USN needed.

JG53Frankyboy
06-15-2005, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by JG53Frankyboy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:

it has already to less ammo http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
250rpg instead 500rpg

so the SSSS (Shadows Super Sport Special) isnt far http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

and , here you should find the most things about the Brewster
http://www.warbirdforum.com/buff.htm </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it has 500rpg in 4.01 now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

actionhank1786
06-15-2005, 07:42 PM
I took that bad boy up against some Zeros the other day, and i must say, i like it. It's got a tight turn, fast dive, and some nice .50's to make dogfights entertaining.
Nothing better than scissoring feet above the waves only to put one into the water

Buzzsaw-
06-15-2005, 10:01 PM
Salute

The Buffalo should maneuver at high speeds much better than the Zeros, and breakup at higher speeds.

So the key is climbing to altitude, so you can dive to gain speed if a Zero bounces you.

Otherwise best bet is to fight from an altitude advantage, or fight as a member of a team and use better durability and firepower to kill the Zeros on your buddy's tail.

han freak solo
06-17-2005, 08:21 PM
Interesting read there GerritJ9. Did not know.

GerritJ9
06-18-2005, 05:35 AM
The Dutch ordered 20 more Buffs in early 1941; these were the B-339-23, Brewster having changed its model designation system. These were basically denavalized B339Ds but with the F2A-3's longer nose. Unfortunately, the engine shortage hit again and the only Cyclones available were 950 hp ex-KLM engines. As a result, performance suffered badly, but the KNIL intended to use them as advanced fighter trainers until they could hopefully obtain 1200 hp Cyclones.
The aeroplanes were shipped to Java missing essential parts but never arrived there, Java having surrendered and instead they were diverted to Australia together with B-3119, the first B-339D whose delivery had been seriously delayed by damage while still in the U.S. They were initially confiscated by the USAAF, but later 17 B-339-23s were transferred to the RAAF who were desperately short of fighters. Fortunately in view of their lack of power they never saw combat. The survivors were scrapped in 1944.

The Finns, cut off from U.S. spare parts supplies, modified one of their B-239s by fitting it with a wooden wing assembly built in Finland. This version was named the Humu; it is in the Finnish Air Force Museum and was until recently the only surviving member of the Buffalo family. In 1998 however BW-372, shot down over a lake in Russia, was salvaged and is now awaiting restoration in the U.S. And the Aviodrome in Holland purchased the remains of three crashed B-339-23s a few years ago with the intent to build one aeroplane for static display out of the collection of bits and pieces.