PDA

View Full Version : Good fiction WWI & WW2 aerial combat novels

XyZspineZyX
10-01-2005, 06:36 AM
Hi
Anybody know of any good novels?
I have read Fighters by Colin Willox (I think long time ago) very good. Goshhawk Squadron & a Piece of Cake cant remember author but very good
Bomber by Len Dieghton & Remember Mickey Mouse, any others worth reading?

XyZspineZyX
10-01-2005, 06:36 AM
Hi
Anybody know of any good novels?
I have read Fighters by Colin Willox (I think long time ago) very good. Goshhawk Squadron & a Piece of Cake cant remember author but very good
Bomber by Len Dieghton & Remember Mickey Mouse, any others worth reading?

ViktorViktor
10-01-2005, 07:11 AM
Dasriech, why read fiction when the truth is even better ?

Believe it or not, when I was in high school (in the 70's) I stumbled upon a Luftwaffe fighter pilot novel in the school library. He was a FW-190D pilot taking on B-17s and B-24s 1944-45. It was well-written, but I was too young to appreciate what a rarity such a thing was in the 70's. Wish I could remember who the author was.

Martin Caidin (an aviation historian who has acquired a tarnished reputation over the years) has written a heap of fictional aviation novels, as well as (semi) non-fictional works. I think one of them is called 'Whip' - it's abaout a P38 driver in the pacific theater.

'Catch-22' by Joseph Heller is a well-known novel. It revolves around a B-25 squadron in the Mediterranen theater. An anti-war novel, actually.

Then there are the Biggles novels, which are about a WWI pilot. I've only read one (which was a Norwegian translation).

danjama
10-01-2005, 07:45 AM
Read "The Burning Blue" by James Holland! It involves great aerial scenes from BofB and the mediterranean. Be warned though, it is a NOVEL so theres also a story with love and stuff http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif Next, you should read "Under an English Heaven", about B17 pilots in UK. Great story. You said novels so theres two that i have read and loved. IF you dont ming non fiction, try out "Fighter Boys" and then "Thunderbolt; The P47" By Robert Johnson. He has some brilliantaccounts in there, including mock DFs with spits and combat against 190s. Excellent book. hope that helped.

*edit* Catch 22 is great but not much flying in it. Its a bit cwazy and messes your head up a bit. Great read though.

carts
10-01-2005, 05:47 PM
"The Blue Max" by Jack.D.Hunter is a good novel(and a bit different to the film )

-HH-Dubbo
10-01-2005, 05:59 PM
"Hornet's Sting" & "War Story" finish the trilogy from Derek Robinson re WW1 that you started with "Goshawk Squadron" (That falls 3rd chronologically)

He follows up "Piece of Cake" with "D@mned Good Show" and "A Good Clean Fight" (in that order chronologically too)

Non-fiction is great and there are some well written books out there. But indulging in some historical fiction is good also and Robinson does an excellent job. Highly recommended.

PBNA-Boosher
10-01-2005, 07:09 PM
A Dance with Death, Anne Noggle

Goshawk Squadron was great too.

I also suggest Top Guns. That was a collaborative project, and also a great book.

Low_Flyer_MkII
10-01-2005, 07:15 PM
'Bomber' - Len Deighton.

And carts is right, 'The Blue Max' - Jack D. Hunter is a lot deeper than the film.

trumper
10-02-2005, 05:16 AM
WW1 , a classic,Winged Victory by VM Yeates,
ww2 The Sudden sky by B Michelaard

HotelBushranger
10-02-2005, 05:49 AM
You can't go past Biggles! He was in both wars! Woh trippy...

In all seriousness, some nice adventorous fiction stories, instead of normal squadron activities. Nice and (generally) light hearted; they are childrens books-however I prefer the uncensored original adult ones (in the 30's the author William Johns was made to make the novels more 'nice', as well as remove all hints of adult themes; pilots drink lemonade as opposed to alcohol)

Kupper
10-02-2005, 08:02 AM
Two WWII novels...probably out of print, but check used book stores, or the internet..."Yesterday's Gone" by N.J. Crisp, a great book about a Lancaster crew, and one by my favorite author Nevil Shute, "Pastoral", about a Wellington pilot and his crew. WWI, one of my favorites is by Ernest K. Gann, and is seldom mentioned in these type of threads, but it's fantastic...entitled "In the Company of Eagles". All three well worth tracking down...

Sharpe26
10-02-2005, 08:25 AM
add to that; I flew for the Fuhrer by Heinz Knoke,and Alert in the West by Willi Heilman.

For the interested amongst us; Heilman was a jg54 190 pilot on the West Front, while Knoke flew 109s I think.

from an American point of view: Combat crew, John Comer.

Also worth reading Stuka pilot by Hans Ulrich Rudel, this guy apparently took out 500 Russian tanks.