PDA

View Full Version : Teamspeak, Headsets, Speakers, ect..

Wild.Bill.Kelso
11-19-2007, 03:58 PM
I am looking into getting a headset to use with TS and gaming. I read some TS FAQs and threads on headsets, and still have some questions.

I went out and bought the eDimensional AudioFX Pro 5+1 USB Headset with ForceFeedback. They sound ok on first use, but the software totally sucks and does not work. The mic does not work, you cannot changed between speakers and headset even though the software has switches for that. And they are loud. I read comments on the dev's(Ben Heck) website (http://benheck.com/06-05-2007/the-audio-fx-pro-51-headset) and I am not the only one having these problems. eDimensional's FAQ actually says to just not use their software if you have these problems.

What I want:
What I would like is a nice headset that sounds real good with a good mic. I like to use my speakers too, so I would like it to be easy to just switch between headset/speakers. I listen to music too, and would like to have that sent to my headset when I'm using that, or speakers when I'm using that. Is this all possible, or will I have to go into 'Sounds and Audio Device Properties' or somewhere to make these changes each time I want to switch?

Also, when I'm using Teamspeak, if I want to use my speakers for game sounds, is that a no-no? Does the sound bleed through and bug people on TS? I read it was a no-no on SimHQ's FAQ, but I also read in a thread here that some users do it that way. Maybe since they use Push to Talk in TS it is not really an issue?

Urufu_Shinjiro
11-19-2007, 04:22 PM
I'm using an x-fi soundcard with a med range logitech 5.1 speaker setup, and a plantronics usb headset/mic. I run the game through the speakers and TS through the headset. Just make sure you use push-to-talk or it can be a no-no. As for switching I'm not sure, I never use the headphones for anything but teamspeak, just a few clicks in the control panel should do the trick when you want to change though...

T_O_A_D
11-19-2007, 04:22 PM
PTT is the only curtious thing to do.

Most of don't nore want to hear you breathe or listen to your family or friends Biatch at you for playing your silly little game. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I have an even cheaper Edimentional set of FFB headset and it works fine in all accounts, except for the cheesy FFB vibration thingy.

I'm also using an older Audigy 2 sound card though too. The Sound card has more imortance than the headset, be sure.

Bearcat99
11-19-2007, 04:44 PM
For music of course you will want a good set.. but for TS and comms any set will do.

http://star.walagata.com/w/bearcat/Untitled-1.gif

See how TS looks at the USB headset as a separate device? Open up TS go to SETTINGS>OPTIONS>SOUND DEVICES... it may say something different but you will see your sound card and your headset.. assign which you want for TS. I have my sim sounds coming through my speakers... I have the AI voices turned low so I can barely hear them.

I use a set of Altec Lansings that I got for $19 @ Best Buy... they have since gone up to twice that.. but they are a decent set.. I like tem because the sound device is in a separate USB thing that looks like a thumb drive.. the headphones are just standard mini RCA.. I have had to replace them 3 times... but now I have 3 of those USB sound things... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif so any mini RCA headset will do.

Outlaw---
11-19-2007, 04:52 PM
I use a USB headset with a noise cancelling microphone. I run the game sound through the onboard surround sound card and TeamSpeak through the headset. The headset is a Logitech which cost around $70 USD. It has a volume control in the wire with muting so I don't have to exit the game to manage the voice comms volume.

--Outlaw.

Wild.Bill.Kelso
11-19-2007, 05:32 PM
Hmm.. sounds like if I can use my speakers, then maybe I just need a headset with only 1 earpiece so I can still hear my speakers. Bearcat99, is that what you use, since you also use your speakers?

Petrosky
11-19-2007, 05:54 PM
Dimensional AudioFX Pro 5+1 USB Headset with ForceFeedback

Please make sure you have onboard sound off
and any other sound cards disabled.

I am using these too, and they work great
I have gotten them to work better than my
XFI card.
BTW mic. works great
check your settings you must have it turned off.

Bearcat99
11-19-2007, 06:07 PM
Nope I have a Altec Lansing version of these:

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/8506/8506994_ra.jpg (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8506994&type=product&id=1186004972379)

I only use them for comms... and I am about to get another set because i want to give my TIR LED piece a serious go and I cant do that with these behind the head phones.. but they sound good.. You will also have to go to Control Panel>Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices>Audio and set the default sound playback device to your sound card if you want to make sure that the sounds come through your speakers.

I think those more expensive headsets are great if you are tight on space like in an Apt etc... or if you just have the bread and are willing to drop it... but otherwise... get the inexpensive USB.. and make sure you get a product replacement plan with it... they are usually @ 12 bucks or so... and they are worth it...

Wild.Bill.Kelso
11-19-2007, 06:08 PM
Ok, Thanks.

Decoy_701
11-20-2007, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
I'm using an x-fi soundcard with a med range logitech 5.1 speaker setup, and a plantronics usb headset/mic. I run the game through the speakers and TS through the headset.

Wow small world, i have exactly the same set up...Plantronics are pretty good headphones, little expensive though.

Outlaw---
11-20-2007, 04:49 AM
BC,
You can use your headset with the TrackClip by adding a vertical attachment point for the vector clip. I have a traditional headset but I only use it when I'm online. I popped the lenses out of a cheap pair of half-frame safety glasses and bent a piece of aluminum sheet metal (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.) around the left temple (that's the part that goes over your ear - had to look that one up) with a couple of inches sticking straight up to hook the vector clip to (I'll be moving to a TrackClip for Christmas). I did finally have to put a small screw and a nut through to keep it tight but it was no big deal.

The end result is that I don't have to wear the headset when I want to use the TrackIR offline with games like IL-2 and Armed Assault and the rare game that is still worth it despite the lack of online play (BoB WOV).

--Outlaw.

willyvic
11-20-2007, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Outlaw---:
BC,
You can use your headset with the TrackClip by adding a vertical attachment point for the vector clip. I have a traditional headset but I only use it when I'm online. I popped the lenses out of a cheap pair of half-frame safety glasses and bent a piece of aluminum sheet metal (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.) around the left temple (that's the part that goes over your ear - had to look that one up) with a couple of inches sticking straight up to hook the vector clip to (I'll be moving to a TrackClip for Christmas). I did finally have to put a small screw and a nut through to keep it tight but it was no big deal.

The end result is that I don't have to wear the headset when I want to use the TrackIR offline with games like IL-2 and Armed Assault and the rare game that is still worth it despite the lack of online play (BoB WOV).

--Outlaw.

Okay, I'm trying to picture this. Your TIR trackclip, the three pronged reflecter unit, is now "freefloating" above your left temple on a piece of aluminum? Kinda like this?

http://310thvcs.com/images/pics/TIRglasses.jpg

WV

Urufu_Shinjiro
11-20-2007, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Decoy_701:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
I'm using an x-fi soundcard with a med range logitech 5.1 speaker setup, and a plantronics usb headset/mic. I run the game through the speakers and TS through the headset.

Wow small world, i have exactly the same set up...Plantronics are pretty good headphones, little expensive though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, plantronics way overcharge on thier site, you have to look around for a good deal. I was looking into getting an in one ear boom mic type with a quick disconnect for a callcenter job I was working at the time, plantronics wanted $250 for it on thier site, got one new/unused on ebay for $30, lol!