PDA

View Full Version : Stop motion frame rates

shahram177
09-25-2006, 06:46 AM
So last month I noticed that things were a miss. Slowly but surely I noticed that my frame rates were dropping. And last night it was the final straw, I swear I was flying stop motion!
I'm running a P3 3.5Ghz PC with 1 gig of ram and a 125mgb (cheapy dell) video card.
So I checked the PC out and all looked well. Ran the usual anti virus stuff cleaned the hard drive but still, just enough frame rate skipping to hurt your eyes.
Is it possible that my video card went bad?

Texas LongHorn
09-25-2006, 08:26 AM
Shahram, it could well be your video card. With such a nice system the obvious bottleneck is your 128M card. Take a look around, you can pick up an ATI Radeon 256M 9800 Pro for about a hundred bucks US. If the GeForce is your thing, they are similarly priced. I'd just pick up a new card and I suspect you'll be more than happy with the performance gain for the price <ggg.> All the best, LongHorn

shahram177
09-25-2006, 08:34 AM
Texas LongHorn,
yah mate, i'm an mech E engineer so i'm sorrounded by some really smart computer guys.
I'm more of a moto car guy my self and thats exactly what they said. I even took a pic of the card and once they saw how cheaply it was made they said i should get a new card.
The dam card that came with the pc is so cheap it doesn't even have a fan nor a heat sink!
go figure!
So you stated that the GeForce cards are good?
Ok thanks!
Will look for a nice PCI express GeForce card ASAP! thanks mate!

shahram177
09-25-2006, 09:10 AM
what do you guys think of this one?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...dpNo=1830017&CatId=0 (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1830017&CatId=0)
looks nice

WB_Outlaw
09-25-2006, 09:20 AM
I have the x1600 chipset in a 512 meg AGP card and it's the perfect low cost stop gap upgrade until BOB comes out and I get a whole new rig.

It won't reasonably do max settings with 50 planes in the air but it will do max with just a few and almost maxed out with a large portion of the 8th Air Force in vis. range.

--Outlaw.

Texas LongHorn
09-25-2006, 09:24 AM
Shahram, Outlaw is quite correct. That is a KILLER card for the price and should see you through BOB too. All the best, LongHorn

shahram177
09-25-2006, 10:52 AM
the price looked ok, and so did the specs.
I was more interested in the pic of the girl on the cover!
If you guys all like it and feel it's more than adequate for this kind of gaming fun I'll take it.

-HH-Quazi
09-25-2006, 12:22 PM
Better card. Helluva price. And it will run this sim maxed out in the eye candy:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102052

shahram177
09-25-2006, 01:44 PM
yah but isn't on board memory more important?

shahram177
09-25-2006, 02:23 PM
wow that hurt! I feel so much lighter now that i forked over the $190 for the video card!
Here now I'm going to date my self.
I was looking at the specs on the card and its faster than the first PC my familly bought in 96! That old Micron set my familly back a solid $2k!
So i guess i shouldn't be *****ing much!
Look forward to installing it and getting back into the air!

PF_Coastie
09-25-2006, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by -HH-Quazi:
Better card. Helluva price. And it will run this sim maxed out in the eye candy:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102052

I agree with Quazi here. Much better card and it is built for gaming. The X1600 is not really built for hardcore gaming.

shahram177
09-26-2006, 07:54 AM
PF_Coastie
Dam you mate!
Dam you to heck!
Too late, as i stated I allready picked up that first card that i posted.
I assumed, possibly incorrectly that the higher ammount of memory would keep me on the high and dry for at least two or so years!

shahram177
09-27-2006, 12:00 PM
God i'm going nuts!
Haven't been shot out of the sky in like 4 days!
When will that video card arive!
Where is Brown! Why isn't it here yet!
aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh

Oh no then i have to figure out how to get the dam thing set up!
aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

when will the hurting stop!

shahram177
09-28-2006, 06:46 AM
The problem is not fixed
this is what i posted in
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=34

Ok guys I'm very new and I've done a bit of search but I can't seem to find out what gives with my PC.
So I'm asking the titans of the MS world for their help.
Here is the gig
I have a dell 8400
Windows XP Service Pack 2
Pentium IV 3.4 processor
1 Gig of Ram
80 Gig hard drive
on board sound
And have just recently picked up a
ATI Radeon X1600 Pro / 512MB DDR2 / PCI Express
And am running Norton Utilities
Yah not the sexiest piece of equipment out there but it works.

so here is the gig as of last month things really started going strange on the PC.
It works great, starts up and does all the usual stuff except every 10 or so seconds the hard drive has a little hick up and does a little clickat clack. It runs for 10 seconds for no reason.
I could be in the middle of reading an article or a word document and the hard drive light comes on and I hear the hard drive spin.
If all your doing is surfing the net or typing up a report it won't affect any thing.
But when go to play a game every time the hard drive doest its little dance your game will have a momentary hick up/freeze.
At first I thought it was the video driver, Dells are known for their very cheap video cards.
Mine didn't even have a cooling fan nor a decent heat sink.
So I convinced my self and my wife that it was the video card killing its self thus causing the processor to work extra hard. So I went out and picked up the ATI card.
Installed it and sure enough it improved things, the PC runs smoother but for the love of god THE DAM HARD DRIVE STILL IS DOING SOME FUNKY READING!
What gives!
I was up till 1AM trying to figure it out!
Ran anti virus
Ran Ad-Aware SE
Cleaned up the hard drive,
Threw away a tone of old stuff that I didn't use any more
Defragmenter
Checked the hard drive
Screamed at the computer
Found a chicken and a virgin and did some voodoo
Made a donation to Green Peace
Pleaded with it
but like Hall 2000
every few seconds that dam light would come on and the dam hard drive would spin!
I'm ready to freaking F disk the HD and start from scratch but guess what!
Dell doesn't give you a window CD when you buy their PC's!
Aint that nice!
So if any of you great minds could help me I would really appreciate it!
Thanks in advance!

I'll let you guys know how it turned out

Texas LongHorn
10-01-2006, 09:16 AM
Shahram, it could well be SP2. I have three confusers and the one I use for IL2 is only patched to SP1. It seems SP2 is garbage on some systems, not all, but some indeed. If you look at the framerates the sim is being hobbled by all the cr*p running in the background. Good luck, all the best, LongHorn

VMF-214_HaVoK
10-01-2006, 09:37 AM
Good place to start. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2010380...t=ENE&SubCategory=48 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2010380048+1069609639&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=48)

VMF-214_HaVoK
10-01-2006, 09:38 AM
Onboard sound sucks for gaming as well. Audigy cards are cheap these days I would suggest you look into getting one as well.

Also what is the temp of your PC under load? I drastic slowdown in FPS could very well be heat related. Open your case and blow it out or open the side panel and set a fan blowing into it.

For a new good/cheap sound card look no further then here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102002

shahram177
10-02-2006, 09:03 AM
Ok guys its all better now and the new video car is amazing!
Well its prety dam cool but i still need to go into the game dll files and up the video rendering (how do you do that again?)
Any way long story short,
I killed office removed Mcafee GoBack or what ever the hell its called.
Threatend to kill the computer if it ever acted up again.
Reinstalled office and now I'm all good!

WOLFMondo
10-02-2006, 10:22 AM
An older X800XT or X850XT would run better than a 1600, and cheaper too. If your in the UK I'll sell ya my old one.

shahram177
10-03-2006, 12:08 PM
no guys no,
it was not a video card issue!
it was a Norton GoBack/incorrectly installed office issue.
the new video card works great!
I have it running full screan.
I just need to go in and improve the visuals.
Whic is something i forgot how to do.
I remember i had to go and open some dll file and modify some numbers.....
can any one help with that?