PDA

View Full Version : Resident's of Portland - Brace for Nuclear Attack. (not)

Waldo.Pepper
10-03-2007, 08:13 PM
A Day called X.

Hosted by Glenn Ford broadcast on CBS, back in the day.

It is hardly Threads or The Day After, but I figured residents of Portland (Arthur!) would get a kick out of it. Maybe you will see local landmarks.

Love the "An attack is not taking place" overlay to calm the jittery people, looking to head off panic ala Orson Welles. Hard to believe that this may be where we are heading again.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=8290528773171265642

-HH- Beebop
10-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Boy does that bring back memories. Although I don't remember seeing this at the time (I wonder if they ever did show it locally) it certainly is the Portland I remember. It was creepy seeing Portland empty. I do remember the practice evacuation in '55. Although they portray it as being smooth and successful I remember the results were less than satisfactory to the city government. True, the downtown core area was completely evacuated but what they don't tell you or show you is that literally just outside the core it was a traffic nightmare. Most people felt that if there was a nuclear attack we would all be crispy critters and shadows on a wall. Soon after the practice evacuation bomb shelter sales went through the roof as people decided that since they probably couldn't drive out they would hunker down and hope for the best. On my block 8 out of 10 families had shelters built or built them themselves. We didn't as my dad said that even if we survived we wouldn't last but a few days due to the radiation. To this day I have no idea what plans if any our family had in the event of a nuclear attack.
The Department of Civil Defense said that Portland was the expected 14th target of an enemy attack as we have an inland port (50 miles from the Pacific) capable of handling deep draft shipping and was considered a prime tactical target. At about this time F-102 Delta Daggers were being supplied to the Oregon Air National guard and were flown daily, often in war game scenarios.
In school we learned to duck and cover and had air raid drills at least twice a month, one announced and one not. Some of my classmates got quite scared every time the unannounced air raid practice was held. And that "young Spock" in sunglasses who was reporting on the Portland Public School situation, well that explains much of my early education. I always thought my teachers were from outer space and now I have the proof!

Anyway, thanks mate for posting this. It made me laugh and brought back many memories from my childhood. Thank God it never did happen.

rockgardenlove
10-04-2007, 01:40 AM
Cool!
Interesting to compare the scenery then and now.

ploughman
10-04-2007, 05:16 AM
Gosh, people spoke very slowly back then didn't they?

Fascinating stuff. Thanks.