PDA

View Full Version : Lock On

flakzero1959
10-10-2006, 09:22 PM
Does anyone play Lock On? I was just wondering how it compares to this game, and whether it is worth getting.

heywooood
10-10-2006, 09:31 PM
if you like modern jets - including Russian ones - and nice visuals, cockpits and landscapes and lots of different targets to destroy - then you should get Lockon and update it.

Just be prepared to take your time and learn one plane at a time - it takes alot of trial and error to get the controls mapped the way you want 'em for each plane...and then to use the different instruments and weapon systems properly.

You might like Strike Fighters more if Lockon sounds daunting.

FritzGryphon
10-10-2006, 09:45 PM
Be prepared for horrible instability too.

When I first tried it, I had CTD from opening the map view, firing weapons, or just randomly.

I put it away until I got a new PC. It still CTDs from time to time, but not as much.

Other than that, pretty fun. Not extremely hard to get into if you've played other jet sims. Just need patience to deal with the configuration and the glitches.

TheGozr
10-10-2006, 10:08 PM
Hard to compare both since they are from a different era but Il2 feel quite very outdated compare to lockon.
Lockon/flaming cliff it's the best by FAR out there very stable as well, just take the time to read and setup your controls.
But becareful.. lockon may ruin your il2's joy both of them are very different and awesome . http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Many peoples give up on it because it is hard to master, harder than il2 for sure the learning curve and it is very demanding on computer power.
You can use my graphic file after some good reading.
http://www.gozr.net/iocl/viewtopic.php?t=1778

http://www.gozr.net/iocl/images/screen/lockon/lockon_139.jpg

fordfan25
10-10-2006, 10:32 PM
yea iv been fighting the urge to get the game for a lonng time. played the demo and maping the controles was such a pain i shyed away. i bought falcon 2.0 played it for a day and have not touched sence. to much hassel just to fire a missle lol. i have not the time to devote to it what with killn warcloud blue plays, closeing shut the jaws of oblivion and hunting silintly for the 3rd time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

LEXX_Luthor
10-11-2006, 01:32 AM
Don't judjet Lockon by the crippled demo. Still, Lockon Pffft all the superjet mfd fighters look the same. And you have to buy a "liscense" from StarForce to play the superjet hud sim. They will be making helicoptors soon, and still no MiG-21. Not even AI.

fordfan we signed up here about the same time.

slappedsilly
10-11-2006, 09:39 AM
I've only played it once or twice on a freinds computer. It looked great, but I would have to pause and read, pause and read..... to many switches and controls to mess with and keys to hit. I like the WWII combat much more. And I can see my bullets hitting the plane (when that actually happens).

triad773
10-11-2006, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by slappedsilly:
I've only played it once or twice on a freinds computer. It looked great, but I would have to pause and read, pause and read..... to many switches and controls to mess with and keys to hit. I like the WWII combat much more. And I can see my bullets hitting the plane (when that actually happens).

I had similar experience: I got Lock on, Flaming Cliffs. Nice graphics, and runs just OK on my machine but after investing so much time/effort in IL-2, it just didn't make sense to me to learn a different game. I found it demanding- too much for me to pull myself away from IL-2/FB/PF http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

TheGozr
10-11-2006, 10:08 AM
yes the same with me i bought the sim in 2004 and never touch it again. this 3 month ago i give it a chance again with a stronger system and also because i was getting ultra bored with il2, i test it again made it run ok then i installed my setting wich corresponded at il2 and just started to fly around then started to be hooked and got flaming-cliff + patch ( 1.12a ) and that was the hammer. i decided to really make it run fantastic and setup a plane i wanted and that was a revelation.. what a blast!!! it has been close to 3 months that i didn't fly il2 and when i try it feel like an old game with a funny FM and very limited founctions and range of setups. My eye hurt when i watch the il2 terrain design. But both are very different since it is not the same era and planes. To setup Il2 flights now feels like a kid stuff for sure. It is good to get both that is certain. It is a shame for Aviation lovers to not give LO a try because it is incredible.
Mean while we are all waiting to get a better product like BOB to have more of a sim sens.

if you try lockon don't try to get all planes setup at once. just pick one and fly with it like you do on il2 and worry about the weapons later.
I will fly both again since many friends are on il2 and on my servers but it kills me to see a very limited distance view of objetcs, smocks, and visibility range. I still love il2 it is the best props game around there is no doubt about this . I will start again the "Normandie-Niemen" server on HL for the north France to Russia theatre. ( give me a ligne if you want it back on )

Ps: Luthor you can fly ALL planes.

major_setback
10-11-2006, 10:32 AM
I've only played it a few times, but I'm pretty sure there was a patch that I installed for it, (can't find it just now though).

EDIT: Patch link for 1.00 to 1.02

http://www.download.com/Lock-On-Modern-Air-Combat-v1-00...7547_4-10296667.html (http://www.download.com/Lock-On-Modern-Air-Combat-v1-00-to-v1-02-patch/3000-7547_4-10296667.html)

MEGILE
10-11-2006, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by LEXX_Luthor:
Don't judjet Lockon by the crippled demo. Still, Lockon Pffft all the superjet mfd fighters look the same.

Only the Russian jets have MFDs. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

flakzero1959
10-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the responses. I'm thinking for now that I'd better just stick with Pacific Fighters. I still have a lot to master in this game. Not sure if I'd make a very good jet pilot.

NonWonderDog
10-11-2006, 06:02 PM
I'm not much of a LockOn fan. My computer can't run it smoothly at all, but it's more than that.

There's an F-15 in LockOn. Supposedly. The avionics are horribly flawed, and I can't set up my X-52 to use anything even near the real HOTAS setup. The AMRAAM missiles are nearly useless, too, and you can only guide one Sparrow at a time. The plane might as well not exist.

I don't have Flaming Cliffs, and I hear that Flaming Cliffs improves the Russian avionics immensely. They're passable in LockOn, but kind of annoying. There's no way to set it up for HOTAS without using lots of stupid toggle modes, but the Russian planes simulated don't really have HOTAS anyway.

The graphics are very good, but my computer comes nearly to a halt whenever there's an explosion . . . which means I can't fly the A-10 or Su-25.

The flight models in LockOn are ok. Nothing really amazing, just ok. Supposedly the new "advanced" Su-25T flight model in Flaming Cliffs really is good, but they didn't update any of the other flight models to the new system. I don't really know how good it is or isn't; I didn't buy Flaming Cliffs.

What really kills it for me, though, is the lack of any interesting campaign mode. Only static campaigns are possible, and LockOn only comes with a couple short, boring ones.

I really do enjoy Falcon 4.0 Allied Force, however. It only simulates the F-16, but it simulates it nearly perfectly. After setting my X-52 up to simulate the (remarkably well designed) real F-16 controls in Falcon I'll never be able to go back to using random impossible-to-remember single-function controls on my stick like LockOn forces me to. The graphics in Falcon 4.0 are rather shocking, however, even with the third-party ground tiles. It's nearly impossible to actually see ground targets -- you have to go by the radar display.