PDA

View Full Version : Lack of subtitle does really hinder the gameplay

AdamEatsCrayons
11-15-2007, 08:59 PM
I'm deaf myself and usually in most games I can get by without subtitle because there are alternatives to subtitle that made my gaming experience enjoyable such as detailed mission/goal/objective text that update during the game. I'm astounded to see that Assassin's Creed lacked any subtitle or simple assistance for people with disabilities.

A quick Google search revealed that developers said that subtitle was removed due to new game engine and multiple people talking at same time but I think that they're pretty weak excuses as you could easily program game to only display subtitle during cutscenes & important moments.

Do you feel that lack of subtitle in Assassin's Creed does hinder your gameplay experience too?

mn9500
11-15-2007, 10:18 PM
yea it does. i really want subtitles so i can understand what they are saying without putting the volume so high.

Faylinks
11-15-2007, 10:55 PM
funny you say this lol, i dont remeber what i was doing, but i had just killed a gourd and one of the characters started talking, but the gourd was houling in pain in the background so i coudent hear the guy was funny

i turned up the diolog in the options menue, and you can turn down the other stuff if you want best i could do

Lost_Control303
11-15-2007, 11:22 PM
i turned up the diolog in the options menue, and you can turn down the other stuff if you want best i could do

I'm deaf myself

I don't think thats gonna help him http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif (No offence to anyone)

Moros
11-15-2007, 11:23 PM
well you do have mission logs so you could always look at those if your unsure of what your doing

AdamEatsCrayons
11-15-2007, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Lost_Control303:
I don't think thats gonna help him http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif (No offence to anyone)

Haha yeah http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Moros:
well you do have mission logs so you could always look at those if your unsure of what your doing

True that, I'll give it a try and see if I can get used to that.

Robbinho1992
11-15-2007, 11:55 PM
When like eaves dropping, it comes up after wards saying ehat you just found out anyway, so not really a problem. I just run around alot, and go for the not so sneaklily aprroach of killing anyway. But as said, i just turn the volumne up, i couldnt care less as i love the game,

xionethic
11-16-2007, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by adambetts:
I'm deaf myself and usually in most games I can get by without subtitle because there are alternatives to subtitle that made my gaming experience enjoyable such as detailed mission/goal/objective text that update during the game. I'm astounded to see that Assassin's Creed lacked any subtitle or simple assistance for people with disabilities.

A quick Google search revealed that developers said that subtitle was removed due to new game engine and multiple people talking at same time but I think that they're pretty weak excuses as you could easily program game to only display subtitle during cutscenes & important moments.

Do you feel that lack of subtitle in Assassin's Creed does hinder your gameplay experience too?
use headphones. with alot of volume http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JediBaja
11-16-2007, 02:19 AM
I too would've liked subtitles. My family started watching movies with subtitles due to my parents' continual increase in lack of hearing (old age), so I've gotten used to reading them. Especially with the intricate storyline, it would be nice to know all the details NPCs reveal.

oregan_c
11-16-2007, 05:24 PM
Has there been any word from the Ubisoft team or anyone involved with the game on the subtitles front.

I've decided to stop playing the game and hold out for a subtitle patch, the game is pretty much story driven, you can play it without subtitles but its good to at least know why your killing so and so...

Good game, great environments, good combat... but disapointingly i cant follow it without subtitles.

Please patch it. some games have downloadable content, multiplayer content etc... ubisoft dont have to provide anything like this with Assassins creed, theres no excuse not to patch the game with a subtitle option.

By the way, i'm not asking for a subtitle option on all the speech, i'm just asking for it on the cutscenes etc....

oregan_c
11-16-2007, 06:48 PM
Sorry again guys.

This whole lack of subtitles in assassins creed is bugging me big time, i'm extremely disapointed after all the time i was following the game over the last year or so.

Spoke to someone who advised me that the more people that require this option the more chance that ubisoft could look at it and provide it.

This isnt just for Assassins creed its for all Ubisoft published games. Time after time i've just accepted it, but i feel that assassins creed is a game that really needs subtitles and i've drawn up a petition and i'm asking you if you could sign it please. the more that sign it the better chance of getting something done.

the petition can be signed at

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/assassinscreed/

himuro
11-16-2007, 09:12 PM
I registered just to say that I am having trouble enjoying this game because of the lack of subtitles. I'm not deaf, but I do have a hearing deficiency, and it's impossible for me to fully enjoy the game without subtitles. I don't know why I'm doing this or that and it's extremely boring because of that. I don't know why Ubisoft decided to not have subtitles, but every single story based game should have this option.

StarGate51-99
11-18-2007, 04:59 AM
I like this game lots but having no subtitles I felt I miss out what they saying. I am also Deaf and relied subtitles because it help me loads. When I brought this game I felt I wasted money buying it due to no subtitles.

Niall68
11-18-2007, 07:30 AM
Hi, I'm new to this Ubisoft forum. I have had to register myself to this thread about lack of subtitles for Assassin Creed.

I want to tell you about my background & interest in computer & video games. I was born Deaf with speech impairment. Even digital hearing aids doesn't help me because my hearing is Zero.

This did not stop me enjoying my life as I have a daughter of 3 who is hearing.

My hobbies includes collecting and playing computer & video games of Commodore 64,Amiga,SNES, MegaDrive, PSX1, N64,Dreamcast,Gameboy, Advance Gameboy, and more .

I am sure that Ubisoft should notice that there is few million people ranging from hearing difficulties to profoundly Deaf in UK.

I was very upset when I found out that it contained NO subtitles option for Assassin Creed as I was planning to buy this game. Now this has put me off and will CONSIDER on buying this game if ubisoft release subtitles patch.

Without subtitles, I am unable to enjoy on playing the game by following the game plot. It is like a blind man being forced to play in the playground without assistance or walking stick.

ScytheOfGrim
11-18-2007, 07:36 AM
Interesting...

I'm sory Ubi, but I found the sound ratios to be way off.

I have the dialogue volume up at 10, and music at 8, with SFX at 7.

I can barely hear the talking durig cutscenes, but when I'm fighting the noise that the guards make is so deafening...

I hate having to constantly raise and lower the volume of my TV... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Eagle091
11-18-2007, 09:06 AM
Wow you guys are a bunch of deaf mofos, lmao.

oregan_c
11-18-2007, 09:13 AM
The petition has a fair few names already, it seems that this problem is fairly widespread and not just deaf and hard of hearing players are complaining of it. The issue would be sorted if subtitles were added to the cutscenes, adding subtitles to what the crowd are saying at a random time is probably much too difficult and time consuming but there is no excuse for the cutscenes at all.

I have sent ms-kleaneasy the community manager a post regarding this issue and my findings so far...

Hopefully a favourable response from ubisoft. I'll keep you guys posted on this.

Transparanoia
11-18-2007, 09:23 AM
****, eh. I never thought a lack of subtitles would cause such a ruckus.

oregan_c
11-18-2007, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Transparanoia:
****, eh. I never thought a lack of subtitles would cause such a ruckus.

turn off the sound, play the game and watch the cut scenes... let me know how you get on!

Niall68
11-18-2007, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by oregan_c:
The petition has a fair few names already, it seems that this problem is fairly widespread and not just deaf and hard of hearing players are complaining of it. The issue would be sorted if subtitles were added to the cutscenes, adding subtitles to what the crowd are saying at a random time is probably much too difficult and time consuming but there is no excuse for the cutscenes at all.

I have sent ms-kleaneasy the community manager a post regarding this issue and my findings so far...

Hopefully a favourable response from ubisoft. I'll keep you guys posted on this.

Organ_C,

You mentioned about adding subtitles on the background of the crowd comments & conversations which would be time consuming.

I disagree.

Suppose Ubisoft decided not to put subtitles on the game play instead of putting subtitles on cutscenes. Deaf Gamers will still lose the game-play quality i.e sub-plots & hints from the game characters & crowd.

Raide
11-18-2007, 10:04 AM
Hello All,

Thank you for your feedback on the lack of subtitles in Assassin's Creed. This is a subject that is coming up more and more as I scan the many forums.

The Assassin's Creed forum is my pet, so I do tend to read this one more than anything. The feedback regarding the lack of subtitles will be heading off to the developers as I think it is something that needs to be added in every game that supports a fairly complex storyline.

While I cannot promise anything, I do see this as something that needs to be reported to Ubisoft and the Asassin's Creed Developers. The need is clearly there for subtitles, so that is what I will report http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Please keep your feedback coming.

Raide
UK Forum Manager

oregan_c
11-18-2007, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Niall68:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oregan_c:

Organ_C,

You mentioned about adding subtitles on the background of the crowd comments & conversations which would be time consuming.

I disagree.

Suppose Ubisoft decided not to put subtitles on the game play instead of putting subtitles on cutscenes. Deaf Gamers will still lose the game-play quality i.e sub-plots & hints from the game characters & crowd. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Niall68

I'm just stating what many people have told me regarding development of sandbox games. I dont think there is a single sandbox game that subtitles the crowd dialogue....if i'm wrong please do tell..

But yes, They should be covered 100%, but i could live with the cutscenes subtitled for now. Thats just my thoughts on assassins creed, for assassins creed 2 i'd hope for it to be fully subttiled the way the Valves Orange Box is. Valve did a suberb job on that front, and i encourage more developers to take their view on subtitles.

ScytheOfGrim
11-18-2007, 10:40 AM
Is it also possible for Ubi to raise the dialogue volume during cutscenes?

I know I can change them in the options menu, but when running through crowds many tend to shout, thus I can hear them perfectly, but when a cutscene comes I am forced to raise the volume just to listen in on what's going on.
And after the cutscene, I have to lower the volume again because of how loud the guards tend to be...

Am I the only one with this issue? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

And no, I do not (thank God) have any hearing problems... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

brance
11-18-2007, 01:15 PM
Again, I am glad to see that i am not alone in my wanting subtitles. Unfortunately, I found this out AFTER i bought the game, so i have to live with it. I think more ppl need to be like myself or Oregon_c in that we CAN make a difference.

And to all those who don't think it's that big a deal, that you can read the objectives and such, do what someone earlier said. Mute the game and play it. See how much you understand. I started a previous topic a while back on the subject that you can see here

My Topic (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/8291073806/p/2)

Septhazor
11-21-2007, 05:24 AM
I love story driven games, I like to know what the hell is goin on.

Subtitles is handy for me. I'm primarily a lipreader, so... it's kinda hard to interpret the voices without subtitles.

The damn game is good. I'll give it that. Would be much much much better if it was subtitled.

Metal Gear is, Half-Life, FF Series and many other games. The deaf/hard of hearing gamers is a pretty large group and it would be great if they would cater to our needs. We're hardcore games just like the next gamer. Well I love my games, don't you?

brance
11-27-2007, 07:00 PM
As a deaf gamer, i can attest that sandbox games such as this or GTA ABSOLUTLY NEED subtitles for people such as myself to enjoy it. Does every word uttered in the game get shown? No, not during actual gameplay, unless it is someone important. Just like if you watch a TV show with them on, do all the extra's lines they say in the background show up? no, only the stars of the show or main speaking character. cutscenes such as the eavesdropping, interrogation, pickpocketing, assassin's bureau, the head of the bureau, or assassination targets should all be expresses as subtitles. Ordinary pedestrians? not at all.

Kaxen6
11-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by ScytheOfGrim:
Is it also possible for Ubi to raise the dialogue volume during cutscenes?

I know I can change them in the options menu, but when running through crowds many tend to shout, thus I can hear them perfectly, but when a cutscene comes I am forced to raise the volume just to listen in on what's going on.
And after the cutscene, I have to lower the volume again because of how loud the guards tend to be...

Am I the only one with this issue? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

And no, I do not (thank God) have any hearing problems... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

I had similar problems. They talk too quietly in the cutscenes! >_< It didn't really help that half the time was spent telling my family to shut because Assassin's Creed is so much more important than family gossip...

oregan_c
12-05-2007, 04:00 AM
its been a month now...

Ubisoft haven't said a single word regarding subtitles all the focus is on the ps3 freezing issues, thats understandable but they really dont talk to their customers at all....

I think its safe to say that we wont be getting a patch for assassins creed that puts the subtitles on.

I'll be trading in the game for uncharted this weekend. never played it past the 2nd assassination. A pity really as i really would have liked to play further but because of the no subtitles issue i hadn't a clue what was going on.

Wont be buying another UBI game again, they are one of the worst companies when it comes to providing features for minorities...

agni
12-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Thanks a lot for ignoring our situation, ubisoft. I will now be selling my game, and on top of that, try my hardest to not buy one of your games in the future. Thanks a lot for ruining the game, because you decided to not put in a basic feature.

I will start my Ubisoft boycott AFTER No More Heroes. If you didn't publish that game you would not see a dime from me.

awesome88
12-24-2007, 10:27 PM
On recent Gameinformer magazine, they mentioned that subtitle is frequently most request for all games. Again, I am not 100% sure why Ubisoft overlook at this game.

Today I got Assassin's Creed Xbox 360 and I didn't think it would exclude subtitle. I tried to understand storyline and I am completely lost. Yes, I happen to be deaf and I do need subtitle or CC to make it possible.

What's worst, store won't let me return it because I opened it. Any suggestion?

I do hope Ubisoft will reconsider hard and offer subtitle or CC for this game ASAP.

awesome88

Redfeather1975
12-25-2007, 02:52 AM
This might sound silly, but the reason subtitles would be nice for me is because something is wrong with my television's speakers and I can't hear dialogue if the person is standing on the right side of the screen.
It's weird that it happens and I miss what people say unless I realize they are talking and move the camera so they are on the left side.

I'm not joking either.

White-W0lf
12-25-2007, 11:43 AM
Where are the subtitles??? Ubisoft wake up and release the subtitles fix!!!

oregan_c
12-25-2007, 02:30 PM
Guys

You might remember me, i was the person that started the assassins creed subtitles petition.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/assassinscreed/index.html

I've also spent a large amount of my time trying to get information about the subtitles option. Eventually i managed to speak to one of the guys on the development team about this, i have promised not to say who it was but he emailed me about a week ago stating that the subtitles issue is on their list but he feels that it will not be rectified at all.

He didn't say why they wont be fixing the issue, but he has strongly hinted that it is a time/money/minority issue. He also said that, it could still happen but he said its more likely that it WONT happen.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

d3monas666
12-25-2007, 07:36 PM
I would like a subtitle patch too since my english arent good enough for me to hear and understand the dialogs. The subtitles really help me to understand the most of the dialogs. Plus it will help many people.

-Demonas

White-W0lf
12-26-2007, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by oregan_c:
Guys

He didn't say why they wont be fixing the issue, but he has strongly hinted that it is a time/money/minority issue. He also said that, it could still happen but he said its more likely that it WONT happen.

Aaargh It can't be!! Could you ask this guy of the development team whether there is a way to get the subtitles fix or not?
Maybe sending tons of emails to ubisoft or something?
Please ask him because we need this fix!!!!

White-W0lf
12-27-2007, 09:29 AM
Up,
Ubisoft release the subtitle patch! We have already paid to get a complete fixed game!

White-W0lf
12-30-2007, 02:30 AM
Up1

White-W0lf
12-31-2007, 05:48 AM
Up2

Cederoo
01-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Hello I come from another country and I can understand and talk English good enough, but in all games I play I still turn on subtitles to help me understand better, since I do not understand everything and at the same time it helps me with English spelling.

And I also have friends and family who are not so good in English, and they do not play some games becaus they cannot understand very much.

I have signed your petition and I hope that subtitles will be added into this game.

Thank you.

the_assassin_07
01-01-2008, 01:25 PM
I had similar problems. They talk too quietly in the cutscenes! >_< It didn't really help that half the time was spent telling my family to shut because Assassin's Creed is so much more important than family gossip...
Lmao that's what I do! My family talk so loud >.>

White-W0lf
01-02-2008, 01:31 AM
So Ubisoft answer us now!!!

Chionubiforums
01-02-2008, 01:53 AM
I registered just to say that I am having trouble enjoying this game because of the lack of subtitles. I'm not deaf, but I do have a hearing deficiency, and it's impossible for me to fully enjoy the game without subtitles. I don't know why I'm doing this or that and it's extremely boring because of that. I don't know why Ubisoft decided to not have subtitles, but every single story based game should have this option.

I am not directly in need of subtitles as the topicstarter does, but yes.. I do see a good point in making subtitles for games, especially games like Assassin's Creed where one moment it's Al-Mualim this and then Salah Al'Din that and.. agh.. it just gets so confusing.

If possible, subtitles yes.

JasonLeeStrickl
01-02-2008, 12:19 PM
youd think in this time of librealism that they would almost have to include subtitles but to tell the truth subtitles should be more of an option for those who dont want them .....like me

White-W0lf
01-10-2008, 01:00 PM
(another) Up

Chionubiforums
01-11-2008, 05:25 PM
brealism that they would almost have to include subtitles but to tell the truth subtitles should be more of an option for those who dont want them .....like me

Well, the problem is.. it really is friggin' time-consuming. You first need to type all the dialog, then make trigger events for every person that opens his yapper, and then closing trigger events when they're done.

It's not easy, mind you.

White-W0lf
01-12-2008, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by Chionubiforums:
Well, the problem is.. it really is friggin' time-consuming. You first need to type all the dialog, then make trigger events for every person that opens his yapper, and then closing trigger events when they're done.

It's not easy, mind you.

What you are saying is wrong: they already have all the lines; they only need to put them into the game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif (lazy ubisoft)

White-W0lf
01-18-2008, 12:34 PM
Up

spazzoo1025
01-18-2008, 01:28 PM
no bumping allowed unless u hav something useful to say...

Sarranduin
01-23-2008, 01:12 PM
I've working on a game script, which might help some of you folk. It's not very finished at all at this stage, but that will get better soon. :P It can be found at gamefaqs.com and neoseeker.com (under the PS3 site).

...my dog chewed through the charger cable for my laptop, and I'm having to find and buy a new one (and it'll be my fourth one)....

naitosan
01-25-2008, 11:09 PM
Add me to the bunch who needs subtitle for this awesome game... badly. I recently purchased this game and was disappointed to find it doesn't have subtitle option.

Sarranduin, I'll be sure to check this out. Thanks much for trying to do something for most of us. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

EDIT: Wow, I checked and printed the game script that you worked on. That helps a lot! Much appericated! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

White-W0lf
01-26-2008, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by Sarranduin:
It can be found at gamefaqs.com and neoseeker.com (under the PS3 site).

Oh man, you are my idol!!!
It's such a shame Ubi did not include subtitles in the first place.
Great job: you did what Ubi had not.

Sarranduin
01-30-2008, 06:31 PM
FYI, there's an update to the script... my computer's still out of commission, so I've yet to "proofread" some of it (and, I've got through Sibrand in print, but have yet to type it). http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

altairiscool
01-30-2008, 10:51 PM
The reason I want subtitles is so that I could listen to it in like arabic since that is what they should speak and still understand it with subtitles that would be soooo cool

Sarranduin
01-31-2008, 01:37 PM
That would be really cool. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

However, you know... only if the voice actors were native speakers!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

altairiscool
01-31-2008, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Sarranduin:
That would be really cool. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

However, you know... only if the voice actors were native speakers!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif duh http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif, but i think there is an arabic version of the game so u just use that voice and put in subtitles

and only when it is in the crusade time when it goes back to desmond time it should be english or watever language you speak

JediBaja
01-31-2008, 04:06 PM
Went to GS today and was browsing their GameInformer magazine. In the letter section, a reader complained about this same exact thing. I guess we're not alone.

Marek86
01-31-2008, 08:23 PM
Yeah, I found it very difficult to hear what Lucy and Dr. Vidic where discussing when Desmond listend to their conversation through the vent in his bathroom.

ZmeySPB
01-31-2008, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Marek86:
Yeah, I found it very difficult to hear what Lucy and Dr. Vidic where discussing when Desmond listend to their conversation through the vent in his bathroom.

I can relate

White-W0lf
02-07-2008, 11:03 PM
I have been surfing quite a lot on the Internet searching for everything related to the lack of subtitles in Assassin's Creed and I have run across this:
AC Lack of subtitles (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz21zfv7oto)

And this is the article (http://grantlairdjr.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/game_informer.jpg) from Game Informer:

Stay tuned for other updates!

P.S. As far as I am concerned, Ubisoft could be forgiven only if it releases the director's cut version plus subtitles for free to all PS3 and XBOX360 customers.

Easy72
02-09-2008, 06:32 AM
Well maybe it's possible UBI makes a patch that allows for a subtitle option....I don't think I would play the game over again just for that though....

oregan_c
02-20-2008, 05:25 AM
Just came online to see if theres been an update of any kind regarding the subtitles...

Nothing... not even a response from Ubisoft... wow...thats seriously bad.

They wont be getting my money again, in fact i'm looking forward to getting their next Vegas game... pirated.... i've been very very anti-piracy until i wasted 75 euro buying assassins creed...the last vegas didn't have subtitles either but at least you could play it.

ScytheOfGrim
02-20-2008, 05:47 AM
the last vegas didn't have subtitles either but at least you could play it.

And what is stopping you from playing AC without subtitles.
AC is perfectly playable without subtitles.
The only place where you may have some sort of problem (more like confusion) is after talking to an informant, for you probably won't know what to do...

Otherwise, you can still play through it, the same as Rainbow Six: Vegas.

oregan_c
02-20-2008, 06:07 AM
Vegas wasn't perfect, but you could follow it...

I mean how much of a story could vegas throw at you? Hunt the bad guys, shoot em, you know why they are bad guys etc..you know why they have to be shot..whereas with assassins i had no idea why i was being punished at the start of the game, i had no idea why the castle was attacked, i have no idea what all those people i had to assassinate had done to warrant their killing, what they said, what lucy and the professor said... i could go on and on... Vegas is a simple hostage situation...

Shooting games have a barebones story Assassins Creed is much much more story driven than Vegas... i mean you had to listen in to conversations for information for christ sake.

I was interested in the whole story side on Assassins, not so much in Vegas, this is why i'm so disapointed by the lack of subtitles.

ScytheOfGrim
02-20-2008, 06:43 AM
Aha!

I had a hunch that such was what you meant.
But my nagging brain enjoys watching human reactions.

Kudos for taking it in calmly. ^_^
Not many do that.

The thing was, the way you said it it meant more like "I can't play AC because I can't follow what I have to do", when what you meant was, "I can't understand why I am doing these things".

You meant it from a story-wise aspect, and not gameplay-wise, as it sounded. ^_^

caswallawn_2k7
02-20-2008, 07:05 AM
hope the pc version gets subs cause i normaly watch tv while playing on the computer.

Therion033
04-10-2008, 07:55 AM
Well gues what no subtitles in the pc version either. And somehow i cant hear people talking in the game they stay silent so subtitles could have been handy cause now i have no idea where the hell they ar talking about http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Rainsforth
04-11-2008, 08:50 AM
I don't think it takes as much time as ubisoft makes it out to be. Trigger a text display inside the sounds function every time someone talks.

If money and time is such a big deal, it might be worth to get NAD's attention and see if they'll cover the cost of adding subtitles.

It'll probably (depending on their structure) take a couple hours of a programmer's time then a few people to data entry the lines of the script.

billythegreat
05-04-2008, 04:12 AM
Any news on the subtitles ?

drego5
05-04-2008, 09:03 AM
FYI, even in the middle of a cutscene, you can pause the game, go to the menu, go to the Audio options, and adjust the volume levels for the music, the sound effects, and the voices. That might help you to hear better.

In addition to turning down, off, or muting your TV. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

BlairCullen02
05-05-2008, 08:43 AM
Subtitles would be useful. I was also surprised when I found that they weren't an option. Reading the subtitles would be an advantage to find out more information from the various conversations that Altaír has with say, Al Mualim, because those conversations hold info vital to what's going on.

butcherdeliz
05-11-2008, 03:12 AM
+1 Subtitles please. The game doesnt have a sense of balance concerning the audio so I tend to keep increasing/decreasing the volume during cutscenes/dialog or when in the middle of the bustle of a town which could be very loud and confusing. Also not all voice acting is great and there are times when the characters mumble lines which muddles up your understanding of the story. I dont like having to replay a scene just because I missed hearing something out. Not everyone plays on perfect audio environments.

Bobfish_Almight
05-11-2008, 10:46 AM
I actually prefer not to have subtitles these days. It gives the game a more cinematic feel

cooldude6681
05-11-2008, 03:25 PM
@Bobfish: http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif You could just not turn the subtitles on.

@drego5: That wouldn't really help the deaf, now would it?

Bobfish_Almight
05-11-2008, 04:34 PM
I don't, that's what I mean

nevar23
05-11-2008, 06:45 PM
I think the option of subtitles would be nice. Trying to find translations for all the different languages spoken in the game has been difficult.

Bobfish_Almight
05-12-2008, 11:48 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif though I still, personally, prefer to leave subtitles off. It's always nice to know that it's through my own choice and not enforced

Kiwimp
05-19-2008, 06:36 AM
Hey there

I am also deaf and i know that many of games have subtitels for options but this game is not subtitels and it is not good, All deafies and Hard of Hearing have own rights to complain it,

I am not happy about it. I know they can do for patch and why do they waste time for us.

Thks

TokyoPoliceClub
05-19-2008, 06:11 PM
I'll start off my saying I'm not deaf.
Not incorporating subtitles in a game is really unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. Even if I try to play with music on I literally have to turn all the SFX/BGMM off and the volume on the dialouge up to max. Even though my music player is set to like 15/100 and it's still barely hearable. This lack of consideration is unexcusable and needs to be adressed ASAP.

Yeah so get on it UBI, please?

Bobfish_Almight
05-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Kiwi, on that count I support you completely. Though I would argue that having no subtitles hampers the gameplay in any way (for me), having the option is something I'm always in favour of. It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have

cooldude6681
05-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Bobfish_Almight:
Though I would argue that having no subtitles hampers the gameplay in any way (for me) Now play it with your speakers muted http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Bobfish_Almight
05-20-2008, 03:29 PM
But in a case like that, it wouldn't be lack of subtitles that hinders my ability to play the game. It would be the fact that I was dumb enough to turn my sound off and it would be entirely my own fault

cooldude6681
05-20-2008, 03:48 PM
http://www.forumspile.com/Blank-Picard_Facepalm.jpg

You either completely miss the point, or you're just trying to act like an idiot.

Bobfish_Almight
05-20-2008, 03:49 PM
I'm not making smart arse comments about turning my speakers off to see if having no subtitles ruins a game dude

Emry1
05-20-2008, 07:04 PM
PLEASE put in subtitles. It would make the expirence so much better and I could understand better what there saying for the story's sake.

Nelo85
07-26-2008, 08:48 PM
I remember playing through Prince of Persia and laughing myself silly because I couldn't hear ANYTHING said in the game, even with my volume set to an eardrum melting level.

I HATED that there weren't subtitles, and I only know the basic gist of the story of that game due to the fact that it was released without subtitles.

Assassin's Creed doesn't have as much of a problem with volume - you can at least change the volume for different types of sound, which did not work properly in PoP. However, Assassin's Creed has a LOT more dialogue, and almost every character has a heavy accent, and volume is determined by your camera angle, which makes sense in first person mode, but it lingers in your basic third person perspective.

I, personally, have things sit easier in my head if I can read them, and I know I'm not the only person with this issue.

How can ubisoft drop the ball so severely on this issue. This isn't a new thing. It's not like subtitling was invented last year and people are still wondering if it's a good idea. This is oldschool stuff, gaming 101. If you have a story driven game, the player has to KNOW THE STORY, and when it's a story based on Dialogue, it's important to write that stuff down.

If it's about immersion, let there be an option to turn it off. If it's about the engine, subtitle only the plot dialogue. The background chatter is meant to be just that. We don't need that subtitled

The funniest thing though, is that there is a "The following morning..." message right where the subtitles SHOULD be between missions. SERIOUSLY.

Ubi, talk to me, I'll do the subtitles for free in AC2, just don't drop the ball AGAIN!

wlhaven
10-18-2008, 05:08 PM
Guess I am latest victim of UbiSoft's laziness. I had a feeling that Assassin's Creed might not have subtitles. I was going to browse the web before buying the game to be sure but was at the store, was on sale for 24.99 and bought it like an idiot.

There is really no reason for the lack of subtitles. I experienced this same issue with Doom 3 for the PC. However, searched the web and some enterprising group had created a mod that installed subtitles into the game. I downloaded and installed it. My God! what a difference! I could actually get my orders without having to check game log after the fact.

So in my opinion, if unpaid free lancers could subtitle Doom 3, why can't Ubisoft and its PAID developers do the same thing for Assassin's Creed.

Right now, all I have is a 25 dollar toaster.

BSoD
10-18-2008, 07:00 PM
Can you post the link for the mod please? It would solve the problem for those using PC.

spazzoo1025
10-19-2008, 08:32 AM
why not just turn up the volume? /shrug

wlhaven
10-21-2008, 01:00 AM
Sorry...was not not clear...the mod to add subtitles is for Doom 3, Not Assassin's Creed.

Wish I knew of a link.

kaboro
12-22-2008, 09:59 AM
Lack of subtitles is very bad. The cutscene when he listens to the doc's conversation through the vent....i didnt understand much, sorry. I also miss stuff here and there and its very annoying.
Very bad decision Ubisoft, and given it was not included from the start, i strongly doubt they would invest the time and money to make the subs now, no matter how many people complain.
We just have to suck it up basically http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

kaboro
12-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by spazzoo1025:

Why not just refrain from pointless smartass posts? /shrug

drfeelgood8849
12-22-2008, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by kaboro:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by spazzoo1025:

Why not just refrain from pointless smartass posts? /shrug </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you seriously brought back an old thread just to say that?

caswallawn_2k7
12-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Dr he double posted http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

drfeelgood8849
12-22-2008, 11:46 AM
lol oops. sorry.

Kazutoyo
05-14-2009, 12:06 AM
Bought the game this week and the lack of subtitles in the game really sucks.

Same thing happened with Rainbow Six: Vegas 2. Why did Ubisoft decide to drop the subtitles for all their games? Figured it would be standard in video games by now, but then Ubisoft goes in the other direction. Bad move.

Xanatos2007
05-14-2009, 01:27 AM
They say lack of subtitles gives a more 'cinematic' experience. But I agree, they should at least put in an option to have them on or off for those who find some things hard to understand.

dtimekeeper
05-15-2009, 02:52 AM
I was pretty shocked to find that it had no subtitles options anywhere. I think the majority of the opinions have been said, so I will only mention that I am a hard of hearing gamer, and that this is the ONLY game I have played so far that has no subtitles! For shame, Ubisoft. Right now, I've basically given up, because listening to animated head move for hours of dialogue just stops being fun very quick, not to mention I have absolutely no idea what to do, besides looking at the 'Memory Logs'.

You have really made myself, and others I'm sure, really regret the purchase. I will be attempting to return the game to the store, and will think more than twice about buying an Ubisoft game in the future.

edscoble
05-15-2009, 11:17 AM
It been almost 2 years since the issue regardling the lack of subtitle has been mentioned, I'm a profoundly deaf gamers, the best games I've played (and have the best subtitle ever) is the Half Life 2 games, but the worse games? Asssassin Creed, it look fantastic the first time I saw it, went and paid for it (Far Cry too, and Myst, but admittedly it's an old games), Assassin Creed is already a ****ing rubbish games simply for the lack of subtitle.

They'll never going to put subtitle on Assassin Creed either way, 2 years is enough to tell us that ubisoft is telling us to **** off.

I signed up just to post this, and extremely annoyed watching my girlfriend playing Assassin Creed and being able to follow the storyline.

I'm definitely not going to get any Ubisoft games in the future, knowing that they refuse to put subtitle on their games, the ****.

Severian75
12-26-2009, 06:12 PM
So I finally picked up AC (my xbox360 died and I finally replaced it). I have a 1 year old son. I can't play it when he's awake since it is too violent for him to watch. I can't play with sound when he is asleep for obvious reasons. I searched and searched for subtitle options and when that failed, I did a google and ended up here.

I can say that not only will I not be able to play this game that I bought and was looking forward to playing, but I also will not be buying AC2 or any other Ubi games in the future.

Yes, I know AC2 does include subtitles, but the fact that they completely ignored this issue for years with the first game tells me that Ubi does not care enough about their customers to deserve any more of my money.

the amolang
12-26-2009, 07:28 PM
i feel sorry for you severian, cause you're going to miss out on one of the best games ever.

CannedBullets
12-27-2009, 05:24 PM
You know there's an option to turn those on.

Severian75
01-06-2010, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by CannedBullets:
You know there's an option to turn those on.

There is an option in AC2, not in the original, which is what this entire thread is about.

msferre
01-31-2010, 05:51 AM
Two things - I'm deaf as well, and I was looking forward to this game when I bought it for the PC yesterday. To my dismay, I discovered that it had no subtitles. I was going to play it anyway and see why it's good. I would utilize the faqs and walkthroughs to help me understand what needed to be done.

Upon some digging, I found this -

http://www.gamefaqs.com/consol...60/file/930278/51538 (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/file/930278/51538)

It's a user-typed script of the game. It's better than nothing, and it'll help those of us who are hard of hearing and deaf.

I am looking forward to AC2.

PSKiller92
11-04-2010, 03:06 PM
Yesterday I bought Assassin's Creed as well, because Assassin's Creed 2 was so good. I really liked the storyline and the vibe.
Assassin's Creed looks great. However, I don't like the fact that the menus and texts are English, as I'm a Dutch gamer myself. I wouldn't consider my English bad, but it's not good enough to be able to understand everything. Dutch subtitles would be great. If this would take too much time, English subtitles would be fine too, because it's easier to understand everything when you listen and read simultaneously... I agree that the screaming of people is too loud and the voices are too soft.
I loved the ability to play Assassin's Creed 2 in Italian with Dutch subtitles, as I'm studying the Italian language at home and of course because the whole story took place in Italy.. I tried English, but the Italian voices felt just more natural.
It would be very nice if the voices would be recorded in Hebrew and Arabic, considering the environments, with Dutch or at least English subtitles.
My compliments for the great cities and countryside, but adding subtitles would be very useful for deaf and non-English gamers...
I hope you could do something with this information. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Greetings,
PSKiller

DiamondBlade_R
11-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Welcome to the forums, PSKiller
Please take a look at the FORUM RULES thread. It is against the rules to bump any thread that's been pushed beyond the first page.

DeafAtheist
11-05-2010, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by DiamondBlade_R:
Welcome to the forums, PSKiller
Please take a look at the FORUM RULES thread. It is against the rules to bump any thread that's been pushed beyond the first page.

Perhaps YOU need to take another look at the forum rules yourself because there is no such rule. There's a rule against bumping old threads by posting something meaningless like *bump* just for the purpose of moving it back up to the top, but if you have something genuinely valid to add to the thread it doesn't matter how far back you dig. In fact it's encouraged to search for older threads on related topics rather than starting a new one.

PSKiller92
11-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Thanks, DiamondBlade_R. I'm sorry to ask but do you realise that your reply is off topic in fact? I hoped you guys could give me some comments. But never mind.
I did not know that bumping was such a big deal. I hope my message was not meaningless indeed.
Assassin's Creed is still alive, as it's available as a PlayStation 3 game, so I hope Ubisoft could do something for non-English people like me and for deaf people like DeafAtheist. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
How nice to see that you openly confess to be an atheist. I'm a Dutch atheist myself. Do you live in the US? I've read about atheism and its refusal in the US recently. That's really courageous! Over here it's okay to be atheistic, as most people and modern families are; and no, we're not devilish or something, but enlightened.

Mr_Shade
11-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Bumping of old threads, purely to 'spam' or post useless posts is against the rules..

BUT

It appears people have a genuine interest and comments so all is well.

In fact I think it's great that people have bothered to search for the thread.. rather than make a new one. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

DeafAtheist
11-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by PSKiller92:
Thanks, DiamondBlade_R. I'm sorry to ask but do you realise that your reply is off topic in fact? I hoped you guys could give me some comments. But never mind.
I did not know that bumping was such a big deal. I hope my message was not meaningless indeed.
Assassin's Creed is still alive, as it's available as a PlayStation 3 game, so I hope Ubisoft could do something for non-English people like me and for deaf people like DeafAtheist. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
How nice to see that you openly confess to be an atheist. I'm a Dutch atheist myself. Do you live in the US? I've read about atheism and its refusal in the US recently. That's really courageous! Over here it's okay to be atheistic, as most people and modern families are; and no, we're not devilish or something, but enlightened.

Unfortunately some of Ubisoft's older titles didn't include English subtitles including AC1, but I've heard that Ubisoft has decided to put them in every single game they make from now on. I don't know about subtitles for other languages though. That's not a question I can answer.

As for being open about my atheism... it's a part of who I am and fortunately I live in an area where I don't deal with much anti-atheist discrimination. But you're right, atheism is pretty much frowned upon in the United States which is about 75% Christian. Hopefully some day the US will be as enlightened as Europe, but considering we're still not using the metric system we seem to be a country that doesn't handle change very well.

asifah30
12-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by msferre:
Two things - I'm deaf as well, and I was looking forward to this game when I bought it for the PC yesterday. To my dismay, I discovered that it had no subtitles. I was going to play it anyway and see why it's good. I would utilize the faqs and walkthroughs to help me understand what needed to be done.

Upon some digging, I found this -

http://www.gamefaqs.com/consol...60/file/930278/51538 (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/file/930278/51538)

It's a user-typed script of the game. It's better than nothing, and it'll help those of us who are hard of hearing and deaf.

I am looking forward to AC2.

That link is really helpful. I got AC1 last week but was very disappointed due to no subtitles. I was putting some question on the forum about the story, but that link helped me. Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ThaWhistle
12-19-2010, 11:37 PM
I wouldn't consider my English bad, but it's not good enough to be able to understand everything.

Your English sure as **** looks better than most of the native speakers here.