PDA

View Full Version : I tried a new plane in IL2-FB.... WOW! VERY surprising!

MK2aw
10-04-2004, 08:25 PM
I have started flying the P-38L in off line campaigns (Battle over Europe). I have got a bunch of hours under my belt now. It is a very stable gun platform. It speaks wonders for the IL2 sim that something as nuanced as centralized guns can actually make a difference when you shoot.

It's not all smiles and sunshine though. The P-38 can really bite you when you are in a low level dogfight (if you are not careful). After getting some stick time with it , it really feels like a great plane.

Playing P-38 BOE off line campaigns, and seeing the results, has also been very interesting. In the first few campaigns I flew, I hardly ever saw an enemy plane. The flak was brutal and eventually I died, either over the target, or due to pilot error low to the ground.(I play if I die, in anyway, I start over).

Then after I started my 3rd campaign, the sky seems filled with opponents. This is another testament to the sim (overall) and how it can really keep things interesting.

Mk2aw

MK2aw
10-04-2004, 08:25 PM
I have started flying the P-38L in off line campaigns (Battle over Europe). I have got a bunch of hours under my belt now. It is a very stable gun platform. It speaks wonders for the IL2 sim that something as nuanced as centralized guns can actually make a difference when you shoot.

It's not all smiles and sunshine though. The P-38 can really bite you when you are in a low level dogfight (if you are not careful). After getting some stick time with it , it really feels like a great plane.

Playing P-38 BOE off line campaigns, and seeing the results, has also been very interesting. In the first few campaigns I flew, I hardly ever saw an enemy plane. The flak was brutal and eventually I died, either over the target, or due to pilot error low to the ground.(I play if I die, in anyway, I start over).

Then after I started my 3rd campaign, the sky seems filled with opponents. This is another testament to the sim (overall) and how it can really keep things interesting.

Mk2aw

VW-IceFire
10-04-2004, 08:28 PM
Better than most say it is...quite an effective plane.

I like the J better...its faster and handles a little nicer in slow speed manuvering. But the L is the better choice for ground pounding. A HVAR tree and a pair of bombs is nearly unrivaled against any target.

FI-Aflak
10-04-2004, 08:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VW-IceFire:

I like the J better...its faster and handles a little nicer in slow speed manuvering. But the L is the better choice for ground pounding. A HVAR tree and a pair of bombs is nearly unrivaled against any target. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have troubles in the J, I am a jug driver so I like my powerdives . . .

Without the airbrake, you run into serious troubles in the 38.

VFA-195 Snacky
10-05-2004, 12:04 AM
I really like the P38 and I fly it 80% of the time, but the stall characteristics and torque effects on the P38 in FB are porked.
head over to Zeno's warbird videos and watch the training film on the P38 and then go fly the P38 in FB. You will notice right way the issues with the flight model.
If the Torque and stall of the FB p38 could be fixed it would be pretty close to perfect. IMO.

VFA-195 Snacky
10-05-2004, 12:07 AM
Just FYI- The J model is supposed to have dive breaks as well. not sure why they aren't in 2.04. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FI-Aflak:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VW-IceFire:

I like the J better...its faster and handles a little nicer in slow speed manuvering. But the L is the better choice for ground pounding. A HVAR tree and a pair of bombs is nearly unrivaled against any target. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have troubles in the J, I am a jug driver so I like my powerdives . . .

Without the airbrake, you run into serious troubles in the 38. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old_Canuck
10-05-2004, 12:15 AM
Salute MK2aw

Glad you're having fun http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Korolov
10-05-2004, 12:49 AM
Snacky - the J model we have is a J-10, pre-J-25 which was equipped with boosted ailerons and air brakes. The reason being so we'd have a '43 model of the P-38.

Even though no unit recieved P-38Js till late '43 - early '44.