PDA

View Full Version : The ghost of the flaps?

powvey
12-19-2004, 05:45 PM
As I was on approach for landing in my Bf-110, going low and slow, all of a sudden my flaps went full up! Fortunately I put in full power right away and avoided a crash. But why did this happen? If I accidentally pressed the flaps up key, that would only have brought them up one notch, not all the way! I can think of no explanation.

powvey
12-19-2004, 05:45 PM
As I was on approach for landing in my Bf-110, going low and slow, all of a sudden my flaps went full up! Fortunately I put in full power right away and avoided a crash. But why did this happen? If I accidentally pressed the flaps up key, that would only have brought them up one notch, not all the way! I can think of no explanation.

berg417448
12-19-2004, 05:51 PM
Same thing happened to me the other day but I cannot remember right now what aircraft I was flying at the time. I just remember the flaps going to full up all by themselves while I was landing.

I believe I was flying a Spitfire...

FI_Macca44
12-19-2004, 05:59 PM
Same thing here - F4F, merged install PF AEP FB

berg417448
12-19-2004, 06:00 PM
F4F is like that. The flaps on that particular plane will automatically retract above a certain speed. I'll try to find the source on that for you.

EDIT: Here it is...it was a vacuum flap system in the F4F:

http://www.fantasyofflight.com/aircraftpages/wildcat.htm

powvey
12-19-2004, 06:18 PM
Couldn't have been that for me. I was just about to land, and I'm pretty precise with holding speed on final.

F0_Dark_P
12-19-2004, 06:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by berg417448:
Same thing happened to me the other day but I cannot remember right now what aircraft I was flying at the time. I just remember the flaps going to full up all by themselves while I was landing.

I believe I was flying a Spitfire... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>on that one you could have accidentally pressed the flaps up key the spit only have full up/down, but strange things happen some times like my dead radio http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

FatBoyHK
12-20-2004, 06:48 AM
I have experienced this several time, in an offline Mustang campaign.

horseback
12-20-2004, 02:27 PM
I've had similar probs when I had flaps assigned to a HOTAS axis, and the 'flaps' potentiometer got a little dirty. Even tho I was beating the hell out of the 'F' key, the flap warning horn continued to sound, and my aircraft couldn't begin to approach its top speed.

I imagine that even if the flaps assignment was made solely to a joystick button or key, a little dirt shorting the contacts might create some problems. In this holiday season, more than a few of us are snacking during our sim time...

Try shaking the crumbs out of your keyboards!

cheers

horseback

_VR_ScorpionWorm
12-20-2004, 04:53 PM
Get that from time to time with my HOTAS as well, I use an X45, had it for almost a year now and my flaps start jumping up, may need to clean mine up.

FatBoyHK
12-20-2004, 11:39 PM
It is not related to the axis. I have a Hotas, but (as most of us do) I map it to a button. and even if it is dirty, it will at most jump up once..... and I have never experienced a self-firing gun, or a self-shutting engine, or etc... which are all mapping on my Hotas...... so, seem it is a bug.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Even tho I was beating the hell out of the 'F' key, the flap warning horn continued to sound, and my aircraft couldn't begin to approach its top speed.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is because the flap come out by itself (due to this bug) at high speed, and become jammed....

AlGroover
12-21-2004, 06:25 AM
This has happened occasionally to me since I installed AEP. Most definitely a bug.

J_Weaver
12-21-2004, 09:32 AM
Yea, its happened to me a few times too. I thought it was strange but I never said anything about it.