PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new DVD to install 1946? Read this.

TimTam27
12-23-2006, 06:03 AM
I expect that there will be a few people, like me, who didn't have a DVD reader and intended to buy one specifically to install IL2 1946.
Well I went into a store and asked for a DVD reader and they suggested for a few dollars more I ought to get a DVD burner. I didn't have a preference for any particular brand and I picked at random an LG brand HT-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H10ABB.
I went home installed the new DVD drive in my PC, put 1946 in the tray and loaded the game. It loaded fine but unfortunately when I try to start the game the disc spins for a bit and then nothing happens. I thought at first there was something wrong with the DVD burner. The problem was I couldn't check because 1946 is the only DVD PC disc I have ever bought. Eventually I found some DVD's from a magazine and those worked fine so apparently the drive WAS working.
Ok, if the drive is working it must be the game.

So I checked the Community help forum and the first topic I see is "1946 and DVD drives."
Reading it I find that there can be a problem with the Securom copy protection and certain DVD drives. The drive said to have a known problem is, guess which one, the DVD drive I just bought. The game is known not to run on this DVD drive.
It is suggested that you get in touch with Securom support and they will send you an .exe that will fix the problem. However, reading other topics and posts, sometimes Securom don't get back to you (I am still waiting) or sometimes the new .exe doesn't work.

So if you are looking to buy a DVD drive to install 1946 check the Community Help forum to see which drives people are having problems with and don't buy one of those. Of course there is no guarantee that a DVD drive not mentioned will actually work but you can at least avoid the ones with known problems.

Probably a good idea for a list of problem drives and fixes (if there are any!) to be compiled and put up as a sticky.

Dr2GunzOD
12-23-2006, 08:02 AM
I had been without a dvd drive for a year or 2. Just never replaced the one I had. Ordered a Liteon dvd burner and installed it, as directed, on the 2nd ide channel all by itself. Popped in '46 and spin, spin, spin. Popped in other cds etc, spin spin spin. Worked with it for about 2 hours and as a last resort, tried it on the main ide channel, exact opposite of the directions, and bam it works.

It may be easier/faster to just order a plain dvd drive from say, Newegg. Saw some for 15-20 bucks, and then do as you wish with the burner. GL tho.

~S~

SeaFireLIV
12-23-2006, 08:17 AM
What the sales person doesn`t understand or maybe does but just wants the extra bucks, is that many DVD games now have a basic (or complex) copy protection that has a fit whenever someone pops the DVd into a DVD\R\RW drive. basically, it thinks you`re about to try and copy the DVD.

What a GOOD store should have done is asked you what it`s for and advised a basic simple no frills DVD drive. Then you`d have no problems.

I actually bought a simple DVD drive because I got sick of nearly every game disc either refusing to install or when it did it would spin the drive forever and sometimes work. In fact, I had one disc ruined because it spun the disc so many times, deep scratches appeared on the outer edge.

I guarantee that IL2\46 will not be your only problem if you get more games on DVD. So it`s no use worrying about blaming <b style="color:black;background-color:#a0ffff">UBI[/b] in this case. By the way, DVDs from a magazine are no good as a testbed as they don`t have copy protection. Full retail game DVDs do.

I advised that if you don`t need the recording facility, go back and exchange for a standard cheap drive (non RW\R) or buy an additional `simple` drive to go with the RW one. You`ll be better off.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/SeaFireLIV/G6.jpg

"Do not repeat the tactics that gained you one victory, but let your methods be regulated by the infinite variety of circumstances."

Sun Tzu