PDA

View Full Version : AC2 PC DRM Internet/Bandwidth Download Rate?



XIXDunedainXIX
04-06-2010, 03:21 PM
Hi all,

I'm sure that this point has been mentioned/asked before, but I've tried digging my way through the gigantic 100+ page discussion in the General Forum and the "Find" button didn't turn up the results that I was looking for, in either this forum or that one.

My question is simple: How much internet bandwidth does the DRM use per hour?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm conflicted about purchasing AC2. A part of me wants to buy it, because I was a big fan of the first game and the setting for AC2 is one of my favourite time-periods in history...but as a PC gamer, I can't help feel unfairly targeted by Ubisoft.

AC2 is after all a SINGLE PLAYER game, and the PC gamer shouldn't have to be connected to the internet at all, with exception to perhaps a quick -one time- online activation when the game is installed.

The PC market is being unfairly treated by Ubisoft and I'm sure that this new DRM has already resulted in a gigantic loss of sales from the PC market, as some people will simply refuse to purchase the game due to it's ridiculous DRM system.

Piracy is surely not only limited to the PC market alone? Console games also receive their fair share of it...so why is it that only the PC market has to bear this new DRM? Shouldn't Xbox/PS3 gamers also require to be connected to their respective gaming networks - Xbox Live and PSN in order to play AC2?

In South Africa, there is a bandwidth 'drought', most internet packages are 'capped' and the maximum allotment of bandwidth is small, on average 2GB per month.

Bearing in mind that I'm not the only user of internet in my house, I'm concerned about the amount of bandwidth 'consumed' as I would love to play AC2, but I have other family members' needs to consider as well.

If - a very kind http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif - PC gamer who does have AC2 could run the game for an hour - without any other internet usage going on - , then after an hour could they please check how much bandwidth was used up over this time and then could they please post their results up here.

If anyone could do this small favour for me, I would be extremely grateful, as I've been wanting to play AC2 for a while now...but I've refrained from doing so, due to this concern.

Side note: In fact, would it be possible for Ubisoft to post the average hourly bandwidth usage rate on their FAQ regarding the DRM, as this would help PC gamers undoubtedly.

Actually...could Ubisoft just remove this DRM system completely... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Murcuseo
04-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Sam007Fisher:
Hi all,

I'm sure that this point has been mentioned/asked before, but I've tried digging my way through the gigantic 100+ page discussion in the General Forum and the "Find" button didn't turn up the results that I was looking for, in either this forum or that one.

My question is simple: How much internet bandwidth does the DRM use per hour?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm conflicted about purchasing AC2. A part of me wants to buy it, because I was a big fan of the first game and the setting for AC2 is one of my favourite time-periods in history...but as a PC gamer, I can't help feel unfairly targeted by Ubisoft.

AC2 is after all a SINGLE PLAYER game, and the PC gamer shouldn't have to be connected to the internet at all, with exception to perhaps a quick -one time- online activation when the game is installed.

The PC market is being unfairly treated by Ubisoft and I'm sure that this new DRM has already resulted in a gigantic loss of sales from the PC market, as some people will simply refuse to purchase the game due to it's ridiculous DRM system.

Piracy is surely not only limited to the PC market alone? Console games also receive their fair share of it...so why is it that only the PC market has to bear this new DRM? Shouldn't Xbox/PS3 gamers also require to be connected to their respective gaming networks - Xbox Live and PSN in order to play AC2?

In South Africa, there is a bandwidth 'drought', most internet packages are 'capped' and the maximum allotment of bandwidth is small, on average 2GB per month.

Bearing in mind that I'm not the only user of internet in my house, I'm concerned about the amount of bandwidth 'consumed' as I would love to play AC2, but I have other family members' needs to consider as well.

If - a very kind http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif - PC gamer who does have AC2 could run the game for an hour - without any other internet usage going on - , then after an hour could they please check how much bandwidth was used up over this time and then could they please post their results up here.

If anyone could do this small favour for me, I would be extremely grateful, as I've been wanting to play AC2 for a while now...but I've refrained from doing so, due to this concern.

Side note: In fact, would it be possible for Ubisoft to post the average hourly bandwidth usage rate on their FAQ regarding the DRM, as this would help PC gamers undoubtedly.

Actually...could Ubisoft just remove this DRM system completely... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Oh dear, it went from being a legitimate question to yet another long winded DRM thread... what a shame lol

Either buy the game or don't, sorry for being so blunt but almost every thread thats posted here wonders down the same road at some point or another.

Its a great game, it has its flaws... overlook them and buy it, or don't... simple really http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

XIXDunedainXIX
04-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Robson19822009, I understand that there are many DRM complaint threads on this forum...I'm not looking to start up another one.

My complaints about the DRM are highly relevant to my question, because if there was no DRM, then I wouldn't be here asking my question. In fact, my DRM complaint, was a small part of my post, and along with it, I posed another solution for the current situation and I asked a relevant question regarding Ubisoft's DRM strategy.

I would love to give Ubisoft my money. Unfortunately, as you've mentioned -regarding other DRM complaint threads- that the PC market is extremely unhappy with the current situation. Would the PC market be happy if Ubisoft removed the DRM...I think that unanimously the response would be "Yes!"

As I mentioned, I really do want to buy AC2, but the DRM has brought its own set of problems with it. I'm not a pirate and I dont plan to be one. But the DRM is forcing many legit gamers to become pirates in order to play the game, even if it is a crack copy.

By mentioning the lack of available bandwidth in my country. The question is not a simple: Buy or Dont Buy, but rather an intricate one that involves other factors i.e. bandwidth consumption per hour, a stable connection, etc.

If bandwidth and super stable connections were freely available in South Africa, I wouldnt be bothered to ask this question, and unfortunately South Africa is a long way from Ubisoft's servers...which also poses its own issues regarding gaining a solid connection to their servers.

AJ_Rimmer_Bsc
04-06-2010, 07:08 PM
mods are coraling everything even remotely similiar to other discussions,these drm rants are causing this,and ruining this place.

Murcuseo
04-07-2010, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by Sam007Fisher:
Robson19822009, I understand that there are many DRM complaint threads on this forum...I'm not looking to start up another one.

My complaints about the DRM are highly relevant to my question, because if there was no DRM, then I wouldn't be here asking my question. In fact, my DRM complaint, was a small part of my post, and along with it, I posed another solution for the current situation and I asked a relevant question regarding Ubisoft's DRM strategy.

I would love to give Ubisoft my money. Unfortunately, as you've mentioned -regarding other DRM complaint threads- that the PC market is extremely unhappy with the current situation. Would the PC market be happy if Ubisoft removed the DRM...I think that unanimously the response would be "Yes!"

As I mentioned, I really do want to buy AC2, but the DRM has brought its own set of problems with it. I'm not a pirate and I dont plan to be one. But the DRM is forcing many legit gamers to become pirates in order to play the game, even if it is a crack copy.

By mentioning the lack of available bandwidth in my country. The question is not a simple: Buy or Dont Buy, but rather an intricate one that involves other factors i.e. bandwidth consumption per hour, a stable connection, etc.

If bandwidth and super stable connections were freely available in South Africa, I wouldnt be bothered to ask this question, and unfortunately South Africa is a long way from Ubisoft's servers...which also poses its own issues regarding gaining a solid connection to their servers.

Sorry to have to tell you but the DRM isn't forcing anyone into piracy... its forcing you to make a moral decision yes but in the end it's your choice to illegally download the game not Ubisofts.

You could just buy the game and see how you get on or moan about something you have no control over... as I said buy the game or don't.

The bandwidth usage will be minimal

MalakvianPsycho
04-07-2010, 03:07 AM
Sorry I can't answer your question, but I can tell you Ubi doesn't give a SH** about you or anyone else in your position. The previous replies fit their atmosphere perfectly.

Ubisofts PR sucks, plain and simple. Bioshock is an excellent example of how a game should be presented, they had a spokesperson in constant contact with the gaming community and took input on every facet of the release, even let us vote on what we wanted with the Collectors Edition. 2K and the like will get my money every time.

I recommend you get yourself a fully functional demo and hope Ubi comes to their senses some day.

XIXDunedainXIX
04-07-2010, 03:16 AM
Sorry to have to tell you but the DRM isn't forcing anyone into piracy... its forcing you to make a moral decision yes but in the end it's your choice to illegally download the game not Ubisofts.

You could just buy the game and see how you get on or moan about something you have no control over... as I said buy the game or don't.

The bandwidth usage will be minimal
Actually, the DRM is forcing people to become pirates. What happens when people can't get a connection to Ubisoft's server, at all? When their connection drops out or their ISP is having trouble? Or if they don't even have the Internet! Yes, you're correct that it is a moral choice, but it's a choice that normally a PC gamer would never have to make. DRM doesn't prevent piracy, it only delays the inevitable. And all it causes is a world of grief for LEGITIMATE gamers, whilst pirates enjoy the product.

Does it look like I'm moaning? I'm trying to make an informed decision, here. Would you buy a brand new car, if your friend just said to you, "Don't worry, man. The petrol consumption is like nothing!"? I dont think so. You would research the product in question, finding out everything before making your purchase.

Saying that the "bandwidth usage is minimal"...doesn't help me at all. Minimal for you could be several MB/hr, but for me or others that would be a big amount, as some people aren't able to have uncapped bandwidth at an affordable rate.

You clearly don't have an accurate answer for me, so why you're posting in this thread is beyond me...

Murcuseo
04-07-2010, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by Sam007Fisher

The reason I'm asking is because I'm conflicted about purchasing AC2. A part of me wants to buy it, because I was a big fan of the first game and the setting for AC2 is one of my favourite time-periods in history...but as a PC gamer, I can't help feel unfairly targeted by Ubisoft.

AC2 is after all a SINGLE PLAYER game, and the PC gamer shouldn't have to be connected to the internet at all, with exception to perhaps a quick -one time- online activation when the game is installed.

The PC market is being unfairly treated by Ubisoft and I'm sure that this new DRM has already resulted in a gigantic loss of sales from the PC market, as some people will simply refuse to purchase the game due to it's ridiculous DRM system.

Piracy is surely not only limited to the PC market alone? Console games also receive their fair share of it...so why is it that only the PC market has to bear this new DRM? Shouldn't Xbox/PS3 gamers also require to be connected to their respective gaming networks - Xbox Live and PSN in order to play AC2?

In South Africa, there is a bandwidth 'drought', most internet packages are 'capped' and the maximum allotment of bandwidth is small, on average 2GB per month.

Bearing in mind that I'm not the only user of internet in my house, I'm concerned about the amount of bandwidth 'consumed' as I would love to play AC2, but I have other family members' needs to consider as well.

If - a very kind http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif - PC gamer who does have AC2 could run the game for an hour - without any other internet usage going on - , then after an hour could they please check how much bandwidth was used up over this time and then could they please post their results up here.

If anyone could do this small favour for me, I would be extremely grateful, as I've been wanting to play AC2 for a while now...but I've refrained from doing so, due to this concern.

Side note: In fact, would it be possible for Ubisoft to post the average hourly bandwidth usage rate on their FAQ regarding the DRM, as this would help PC gamers undoubtedly.

Actually...could Ubisoft just remove this DRM system completely... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

If you consider none of that post moaning then you might want to reconsider your own motives for creating this topic...

When you can't connect to the Ubisoft server its down to you to find a solution to the problem along with the help of the community and Ubisoft.... of which there is a few, heres one as an example (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4721051016/m/2601041848)!

You have to realise this was never a personal attack so don't react as if it is, it was me expressing my disappointment at yet another DRM thread, which is what this was...

The fact of the matter is, this seems to be the way PC gaming is heading so you can stick with the legitimate consumers morals and put up with the changes and enjoy the game as it is or make a stand and refuse to buy the game.... or go down the piracy route.

You're never forced by Ubisoft to make any of those choices, if you were forced it wouldn't be a choice would it...

People have used the whole "Buying a car" metaphor before and its fairly obvious its not the same thing, the financial lose you'll suffer from a faulty car is a little greater than a faulty game... especially now the game is extremely cheap to buy.

Anyway to clarify whats beyond you... I have been posting in this thread because instead of JUST asking your simple question you turned this into yet another DRM thread. Theres 100 other threads where you could have expressed your opinions about the DRM but , you chose to do it here http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif


I can empathise with your situation in regards to bandwidth and I hope you do find the answer you're after... but, I also hope this thread is closed and you repost the question without all the DRM hate with it!

It'll increase the chances of your getting an answer by a great margin....

Sniper_Doc
04-07-2010, 07:31 AM
All I see from Robson's dialog are condescending comments which bear no purpose other than to convey Robson's own issues with people posting anti-DRM threads.

This thread mentions a legitimate concern and was rather constructive than critical. Something Robson was not. Robson's comments are neither helpful, or constructive and serve only to stroke his own ego.

Robson, you've been reported.

Murcuseo
04-07-2010, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by DocSniper:
All I see from Robson's dialog are condescending comments which bear no purpose other than to convey Robson's own issues with people posting anti-DRM threads.

This thread mentions a legitimate concern and was rather constructive than critical. Something Robson was not. Robson's comments are neither helpful, or constructive and serve only to stroke his own ego.

Robson, you've been reported.

This has absolutely nothing to do with my ego and everything to do with people not using the forum properly. What kind of "stroking" do you honestly think I can achieve from being a faceless name on a forum... it achieves nothing, so no... this isn't about me ego.

The endless amount of pointless DRM threads that get posted on this forum are overwhelming legitimate threads that can be useful to the community. Considering there are numerous other threads created for the exact purpose of being critical about the DRM theres no need for another. Even if it does include a legitimate concern its only going to end up with one result...more useless conversations about whats being covered in other threads.

I have no problem with people expressing their opinions on any matter that is useful and relevent aslong as its done in the right way.

Yet again this is being interpreted as a personal attack on the OP but its not, you obviously didn't understand or read my posts properly which resulted in you finding it condescending.

I think you "reporting" me says a lot about how you approach these kind of things...

Also the fact you're against the DRM would give clues to why you would react like this, pretty childish to be fair

XIXDunedainXIX
04-07-2010, 08:58 AM
Thanks DocSniper for the support. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Robson19822009, I understand your frustrations with all the anti-DRM threads, but I'm afraid that you're gonna have to get used to them, unless Ubisoft releases a offline play patch.

Obviously you play AC2 on console, so your mention of "pointless DRM threads" is uncalled for. The PC community is unsatisfied, and it will vent its frustrations until the cows come home, even if it solves nothing. The car metaphor is apt and could easily be replaced with any object of value. A consumer does their research before purchasing.

With your repetitive posts, you sir are derailing my thread, unless you have an answer for me, which you clearly don't...please take your "pro"-DRM posts someplace else. They are not relevant to this thread at all...it is my intention to keep this thread from becoming another LOCK DOWN!

If you want to say, "But hey! You're complaining about DRM..." Yes you're right, as I said before, I am complaining about the DRM...certainly not to the extent of other threads. As I am a potential PAYING customer, I have every right to voice my opinion. If you want to pick apart every word in my posts, go ahead by all means, but by continuing to re-quote my OP, without referencing my other posts, you're flimsily backing up your argument that all this is is a DRM hate thread with a legitimate question hidden away inside.

Murcuseo
04-07-2010, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Sam007Fisher:
Thanks DocSniper for the support. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Robson19822009, I understand your frustrations with all the anti-DRM threads, but I'm afraid that you're gonna have to get used to them, unless Ubisoft releases a offline play patch.

Obviously you play AC2 on console, so your mention of "pointless DRM threads" is uncalled for. The PC community is unsatisfied, and it will vent its frustrations until the cows come home, even if it solves nothing. The car metaphor is apt and could easily be replaced with any object of value. A consumer does their research before purchasing.

With your repetitive posts, you sir are derailing my thread, unless you have an answer for me, which you clearly don't...please take your "pro"-DRM posts someplace else. They are not relevant to this thread at all...it is my intention to keep this thread from becoming another LOCK DOWN!

If you want to say, "But hey! You're complaining about DRM..." Yes you're right, as I said before, I am complaining about the DRM...certainly not to the extent of other threads. As I am a potential PAYING customer, I have every right to voice my opinion. If you want to pick apart every word in my posts, go ahead by all means, but by continuing to re-quote my OP, without referencing my other posts, you're flimsily backing up your argument that all this is is a DRM hate thread with a legitimate question hidden away inside.

I'm sorry to have to tell you this but you derailed this topic as soon as you went into the rant about the DRM.

The community seems dissatified to you purely because only one side of the arguement is fairly represented... ironically enough its your side of the arguement lol

The only reason my posts seem repetitive is because you're not getting the point and I'm having to repeat myself, I want this issue to be disscussed even if it does bore the crap out of me but creating endless amounts of threads about the subject saturates the forum and is no use to anyone. But, apparently thats what you want to achieve http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif


Anyway, the only thing I will have to get used to is topic after topic being closed by the moderators because members don't use the rules beneficially.

I'll say this again so its clear, this was never a personal attack and it was never meant to be condescending whether you can see that or not.

As I said earlier I encourage you to repost your question, on its own without the DRM rant so you can get an answer thats purely about the bandwidth and that alone.

Try posting it in the AC Community Technical Help and Advice Forum (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/4721051016), that would seem the loigical place to ask a tech question...


Now that was condescending,please don't report me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif

BTOG46
04-07-2010, 11:31 AM
I can't give figures for AC2 bandwidth, as I don't have the game yet, but Settlers 7, which uses the same DRM uses very little, for me, it was only around 3mb an hour, less per hour than browsing these forums.

And if you wish to discuss the DRM further, please use one of the existing threads to do so.