PDA

View Full Version : AC2: very beautiful game but the history left.. to the Turkish??

Michelasso
12-11-2009, 05:30 PM
Like with Doge Pietro Mocenigo. 10.000 florins per year left for the Turkish? Even Wikipedia knows that it ISN'T right: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pietro_Mocenigo

We got Cyprus, for instance. And much more later. Now, let me talk about the Carnival of Venice. It isn't and wasn't trash television as I've read. It's still the most cultural Carnival in the World. Just remember one thing: one of the reasons why in the World now we speak English instead of Turkish it is because Venezia made a mess of the turkish fleet in the Battle of Lepanto. Get your facts straight you "French" from Ubi, that only Napoleone Bonaparte, from Corsica (so not French at all) could touch the Serenissima.

Congratulations for the settings. Realistic, even if obviously smaller. Just the moron(s) that wrote the historical facts... should drink less. Or better.. de aller a fair futre... O come se dixe.. A farseo metar in cueo de so mare musulmana.

KingGuthorm
12-11-2009, 05:47 PM
You realize this a work of fiction right?

Michelasso
12-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Do you realize that the Turkish never won the "war" against Venezia? And that bs is written in the Historical "facts"? "Sorry" but it was 2 weeks that I had this in my guts. It's just coming out now. I wrote that already: Ubi.. write your "facts" straight. Americans make a mess for much less. WE won the war. According to the game we were a bunch a wan.... enjoying to be bu..fu.. by the Turkish. NO WAY. Don't worry. It's an European thing. The reference to Napoleone the Corse (that means.. the island north of Sardegna) was not casual.

KingGuthorm
12-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Historical inaccuracy is destined in a game trying to make conspiracies in the past; but it has an excuse in the Templars rewriting history. Whether or not it's true matters very little.

Michelasso
12-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by KingGuthorm:
Historical inaccuracy is destined in a game trying to make conspiracies in the past; but it has an excuse in the Templars rewriting history. Whether or not it's true matters very little.

You didn't read the original post. I don't care if some Doge(s) have been defined as Templars in the game. THAT's the fiction. I'm talking about the "historical" records that many people probably never read. I did. And they are supposed to be accurate. Most of them depict the Venetian Republic like a place of losers. Often losing against Turkey. Sorry, but that's historically inaccurate. And I gave a simple wikipedia link as an example (Pietro Mocenigo has been all but a loser. Especially against the Turks). Then in the game I read about the Carnival. Define like the equivalent of "trash tv". Then I read all of them, and anytime Turkey was mention.. Venezia lost. Eeven the heralds mention it in the Italian version. Well, that is a lot of crap. If Europe has been saved from the Turkish it's because of Venezia. Battle of Lepanto for once. No templars or other crap involved. And if Venezia lost few battles, so they did later. Now I'm tired, but if you wish I'm going to transcript what's written in the game later.

Oh yeah. Not to mention Ezio speaking about the Venetian "smelly canals" in the 15th century. As if the sewers running in the streets of England were smelling better. Just remember how beer became so popular over there (and in Germany. And..). Don't worry. I don't call it "racism". I'm much superior to that. I call it stupidity.

Teeem3000
12-11-2009, 07:32 PM
I didn't like that the "real" history seemed to be clouded in with the fictional aspects of the story.

I was hoping for actual historical facts, and then a fictional synopsis from that english ***hole. It was pretty hard to discern with was true and what was ubisoft fiction.

Captain Tomatoz
12-11-2009, 09:41 PM
in ac1 desmond tells vidic that somethings are different in the animus that what really happened in real life. Vidic replies by saying that what is written down in books is not always true. So if there is historical innacuracies it is (in the game) because of the fact that things have been written down wrongly http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

OzDavis
12-11-2009, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Teeem3000:
It was pretty hard to discern with was true and what was ubisoft fiction.
You may not have intended it that way, but if I was involved in the writing of AC2 I'd take that statement as a compliment, as that tends to be the aim of any writer of historical fiction no matter what medium they are using. Whether it's a book, TV program, movie or computer game the idea is to blend fictional events into an historical background so that the reader/viewer/player can't tell fact from fiction, thereby immersing them in both the history of the selected time period and the fictional storyline and character interplay.

Teeem3000
12-13-2009, 03:04 PM
I loved the storyline, and I loved the cutscenes that had all those historical tidbits. The one about the young Pazzi being really competitive and cheating like hell, for example. Then if he did lose he'd invite the family over to kill them. That's just awesome, in a sick and twisted way.

But did it really happen? Did the real Pazzi do that or did the Templar Pazzi do it. I guess I could go hit the local library and find out. But I thought that it would be cool to know the "real" history, the one that Desmond and I would be taught, and the "real real" Templar history together.

Thank you for making an awesome game for us history lovers as well as a great game in general. But next time give us the option of smacking Shaun around a bit too. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

thekyle0
12-13-2009, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Michelasso:
You didn't read the original post. I don't care if some Doge(s) have been defined as Templars in the game. THAT's the fiction. I'm talking about the "historical" records that many people probably never read. I did. And they are supposed to be accurate. Most of them depict the Venetian Republic like a place of losers. Often losing against Turkey. Sorry, but that's historically inaccurate. And I gave a simple wikipedia link as an example (Pietro Mocenigo has been all but a loser. Especially against the Turks). Then in the game I read about the Carnival. Define like the equivalent of "trash tv". Then I read all of them, and anytime Turkey was mention.. Venezia lost. Eeven the heralds mention it in the Italian version. Well, that is a lot of crap. If Europe has been saved from the Turkish it's because of Venezia. Battle of Lepanto for once. No templars or other crap involved. And if Venezia lost few battles, so they did later. First of all, the battle of Lepanto doesn happen for another 80 years after the game's time frame. If it's significant that Venetian defeats (such as the utter failure on Cyprus) came after the game's time frame, it should also be significant that their only significant victory came after the time frame. Second, you can hardly say that the Venetians were the ones who won the battle of Lepanto. The majority of the fleet was made of Spanish gallies. A lot of the Venetian gallies were payed for by Spanish gold. The top commander of the Christian fleet, Don Juan, was a Spaniard. He made the battle plan using advice from Don Garcia, another Spaniard. Take that along with the fact that the whole operation was initiated by Pope Pius V, and you might start to understand that the Venetians weren't the sole contributors to the Christian victory.

Also, the database entries that mock Venice are supposed to be taken as a joke. It's just the theme of the humor taken in the entries for that city.

Originally posted by Michelasso:
Oh yeah. Not to mention Ezio speaking about the Venetian "smelly canals" in the 15th century. As if the sewers running in the streets of England were smelling better. Just remember how beer became so popular over there (and in Germany. And..). Don't worry. I don't call it "racism". I'm much superior to that. I call it stupidity. Aren't you aware that the canals of Venice were used as a sewer at this time? It's perfectly reasonable to say they smelled bad. Just be thankful that Ubi didn't make the canals look the way they really were.

Dachande_
12-13-2009, 07:29 PM
To the OP,the "historical records" (database entries i assume) never claim to be factual as far as i know,in fact i personally found them to be highly satirical and humorous.Its established early in the game that the person actually writing the Database entries is the FICTIONAL characther Shaun Hastings,who fills the "nerd-cynic" role within the game,offering GTA-like satirical perspectives on historical figures.

Also,the way you said "Oh yeah. Not to mention Ezio speaking about the Venetian "smelly canals" in the 15th century. As if the sewers running in the streets of England were smelling better. Just remember how beer became so popular over there (and in Germany. And..). Don't worry. I don't call it "racism". I'm much superior to that. I call it stupidity." leads me to believe that you are either a troll or a irrational nationalistic type of person with some sort of ancient ***** envy over battles lost and won. Seriously,this is a game.

I suppose thats the nature of the Assassins Creed storyline though,it courts controversy..which makes it great lol =)

Teeem3000
12-13-2009, 08:24 PM
Why did beer become so popular over there? Due to the stench? Enlighten me, please.

Fenro
12-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Just to give you a pointer, Wikipedia is a "free" database nearly anyone can change the information there.

Also there are always diferent opinions on what hapend historicaly.

hitorical documents usualy bend on making the certaint faction look better than the other,regarding who wrote it.

a perfect sample for this is the historical data regarding the galians and rome.

BTOG46
12-14-2009, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Teeem3000:
Why did beer become so popular over there? Due to the stench? Enlighten me, please.

Beer has been used as a safe thing to drink, instead of possibly contaminated water, since ancient times, as the fermentation process is also a purifying one, and killed off harmful bacteria.

Weak beer, or in the old English term, "small beer" was used all over the ancient world, not just in England, along with wine, it was probably found by accident to be safer than water purely by observation and experience.

Atmon
12-14-2009, 02:00 PM
PS: As a matter of fact Corsica has a really amazing history and gets back and forth between France, Italy and even way before between State Cities. Lots of nations and people gets there, including Moor. The last time that Corsica change from an nation to another was in the 15th of May 1768 under the treaty of Versailles.

Napoleon was born in 1769, on the very same day (15th of May, weird http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif). So he was French http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Otherwise, we want to play with History, and come up with a believable story not simply tell it.

Just remember one thing: one of the reasons why in the World now we speak English

I could say that History is written down by the winners, but I'll give you a Godwin point! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Teeem3000
12-14-2009, 05:03 PM
Thanks BTOG46.

"My children need wiiine!"