PDA

View Full Version : Nexus terminal in Myst V? (Photo)

Reverend Vader
07-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Found this picture in the Myst V gallery at Mystworlds.com...

http://mystworlds.ubi.com/ss/Myst%20V%20Book.jpg

Intriguing!

Looks like the linking panel doesn't actually lead to the Nexus, however.

Todelmer, perhaps?

(The pedestal which the book sits upon is the same as the Nexus book pedestals that appear frequently throughout D'ni in Uru.)

Boshettee
07-11-2005, 05:34 PM
All the new screenshots can be found here: http://www.3dgamers.com/screenshots/games/myst5/

From what I have read on the Obsession forum, there is no Nexus, only this linking book on a nexus pedestal.

mszv
07-15-2005, 09:28 PM
Well ReverendVader - I guess we Uru people aleady know how the darn thing works!

I always really liked the design of those podiums.

Spoiler - just guessing here, no advanced knowledge. Can you say "within age" linking?

Mowog
07-16-2005, 07:35 AM
Interesting... this implies that we might have a KI in Myst V, doesn't it?

ivanxuereb
07-16-2005, 08:49 AM
I'm not sure what to think, it's only a screenshot of a pedestal...

Mowog
07-16-2005, 12:58 PM
Well, my point was that the pedestal in the screen shot has a KI reader receptacle like all the Nexus stations in Uru. This suggests we'll have something for it to read. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

JustBrett
07-16-2005, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Mowog:
Well, my point was that the pedestal in the screen shot has a KI reader receptacle like all the Nexus stations in Uru. This suggests we'll have something for it to read.
I wish! We know we're going to visit the eder tomahn in the Great Shaft, and we did see an inactive KI dispenser there in Uru, as well as an empty Nexus pedestal. It would be nice to think that Yeesha activated the dispenser and put a Book on the pedestal. But, I don't think it's going to happen, since we also know that the player journal will be used for taking pictures. That wouldn't make sense if we're going to have a KI.

Mowog
07-16-2005, 10:30 PM
But, I don't think it's going to happen, since we also know that the player journal will be used for taking pictures. That wouldn't make sense if we're going to have a KI. You may be right. On the other hand, if there's a revised KI in Myst V that incorporates a journal function, we might still get a KI... It already has a camera, after all.

JustBrett
07-17-2005, 08:06 AM
Since the Book on the pedestal is Direbo, we wouldn't need a KI in any case. You only need the Nexus/KI system to link between locations in the Cavern by going through an intermediate Age. If you're going to a different Age, why would you need to register it in your KI and go through the Nexus?

While a KI would be fun for us Uru players, it would add complexity and require many explanations for those who haven't played Uru. I really can't see Cyan doing this, since they must be hoping for vastly greater sales than Uru had, meaning that most M5 players will not have played Uru.

But, I guess we can still dream about being able to get the coordinates for all the new locations we'll be visiting in the Cavern. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Conector
07-31-2005, 10:06 AM
I've heard (I think it was a Rand Interview) that instead of a "save game" feature, the game position will be saved each time a picture is taken. What better way to take a picture than with a K-I?

mystgirl2005
08-18-2005, 05:11 AM
I hope 2 god dat der aint no KI in Myst V dat bloody fing gave me a rite hard time in Uru

Tweek
08-18-2005, 10:01 AM
Theres not going to be a KI in Myst V, the images are stored in your personal journal thats how you can access them to use the saved games.

Tweek

Eat_My_Shortz
08-22-2005, 07:17 AM
That's an interesting save feature (although really one way of looking at it is that it's the same as Myst III - except the pictures are saved bigger).

I was a bit disappointed with that shot.. it isn't improved basically at all from Uru. (Is it? Maybe the tex's are upgraded).
But it sort of shows lack of innovation, to keep the KI slot there even though there is no KI, and the book is like 4 polygons wide...

Anyway, do we know yet if the flyby animations actually fly by or if they're the same as Uru? That was a huge disappointment in Uru and I'd hate to see stills in M5.

Coronagold
08-22-2005, 08:16 AM
I find it wierd that the book is embedded in stone. And yes, those are Uru quality graphics.

JustBrett
08-22-2005, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Eat_My_Shortz:
But it sort of shows lack of innovation, to keep the KI slot there even though there is no KI
But, if it's the same stand we saw in the eder tomahn in Uru, then they have to keep the KI slot for the sake of consistency. Otherwise we'd all be hollering about how the slot disappeared between games. (I think they have enough explaining to do already, with the rocky debris in K'veer suddenly developing smooth, round edges. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)

Corona, I don't think the Book is "embedded" in stone. The left half simply fits into a slot to hold it open.

Eat_My_Shortz
08-23-2005, 04:27 AM
It's a very verrrry narrow slot.