PDA

View Full Version : Playing Multiplayer Online: One big crowd?

Serenity9066
11-04-2010, 07:21 PM
I'm wondering if the multiplayer is going to be a massive free for all slaughter like most PvP online games. That would really REALLY bum me out.

What I really want to know is can we just play with a select few if we want, or is this going to be server based? Anyone know?

salted onions
11-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Nope not at all. In Wanted mode, there are 6 to 8 players. Each player gets assigned a single target to kill. Someone will be assigned to kill you as well. Then there's Alliance, which is basically Wanted except you're in teams of two. I heard there's a game mode called Hunter but I don't even know if it exists considering I've heard nothing else about it o_o.

Serenity9066
11-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Ah, hmmm... I wonder if they'll have a "co-op" mode where you aren't pitted against other players. Would be nice if I could just simply play with one or two other people, and not have to be going at it in a vs mode.

DorkDorkerson
11-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Serenity9066:
Ah, hmmm... I wonder if they'll have a "co-op" mode where you aren't pitted against other players. Would be nice if I could just simply play with one or two other people, and not have to be going at it in a vs mode.

That would be "Alliance". http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

salted onions
11-04-2010, 07:41 PM

That would be nice eh? Not including the elusive Hunter mode, I would be kind of disappointed if there were only two game modes, which were essentially the same thing. I guess we have 12 more days until we can find out for sure

salted onions
11-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by DorkDorkerson:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Serenity9066:

That would be "Alliance". http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eh, Alliance is still basically Wanted, except you share your points with one other person this time. I think he means something along the lines of like two people, with a certain # of targets they have to kill, or something of that nature. Players Vs CPU, no PvP

Serenity9066
11-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by childprodigy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DorkDorkerson:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Serenity9066:

That would be "Alliance". http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eh, Alliance is still basically Wanted, except you share your points with one other person this time. I think he means something along the lines of like two people, with a certain # of targets they have to kill, or something of that nature. Players Vs CPU, no PvP </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly.. and that would be "she means". >.>

Just saying "Alliance" doesn't give an example of a game mode. That is simply just saying "those other guys".

salted onions
11-04-2010, 07:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by childprodigy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DorkDorkerson:

Eh, Alliance is still basically Wanted, except you share your points with one other person this time. I think he means something along the lines of like two people, with a certain # of targets they have to kill, or something of that nature. Players Vs CPU, no PvP </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly.. and that would be "she means". >.>

Just saying "Alliance" doesn't give an example of a game mode. That is simply just saying "those other guys". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, sorry about that assumption D:
Well so far, I feel have the feeling that they don't have much else to hide when it comes to multiplayer, which is a bit depressing considering the limited playlist, but who knows, maybe they'll surprise us? I doubt it, and even if there isn't a co-op mode I'll still be 100% content with the game (probably).

Serenity9066
11-04-2010, 07:55 PM

Well so far, I feel have the feeling that they don't have much else to hide when it comes to multiplayer, which is a bit depressing considering the limited playlist, but who knows, maybe they'll surprise us? I doubt it, and even if there isn't a co-op mode I'll still be 100% content with the game (probably).

It's an easy assumption. No prob. Just getting that out of the way. :3

I'm thinking that's about it as well. Either way the game looks freaking amazing. This is just one of those things that I ponder when "multiplayer" is implemented in a game.

I really miss co-op. -_-

salted onions
11-04-2010, 08:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by childprodigy:

It's an easy assumption. No prob. Just getting that out of the way. :3

I'm thinking that's about it as well. Either way the game looks freaking amazing. This is just one of those things that I ponder when "multiplayer" is implemented in a game.

I really miss co-op. -_- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always prefer co-op to competitive multiplayer games because it's just more enjoyable without the pressure of having to get the top score, and to just have fun with friends. Though I imagine it would be very difficult to implement a co-op mode in the AC series since Ubisoft always aims to make sure the gameplay keeps in line with the story canon. I can't imagine a situation where there'd be two assassin's reliving the same memory together or something, as awesome as that would be

Serenity9066
11-04-2010, 10:06 PM
I always prefer co-op to competitive multiplayer games because it's just more enjoyable without the pressure of having to get the top score, and to just have fun with friends. Though I imagine it would be very difficult to implement a co-op mode in the AC series since Ubisoft always aims to make sure the gameplay keeps in line with the story canon. I can't imagine a situation where there'd be two assassin's reliving the same memory together or something, as awesome as that would be

That's where you have to use your imagination. I don't think they envisioned the players all having to be in an animus to go into the memories of assassin ancestors just to be able to play together. Co-op usually doesn't integrate story mode* anyway.

Remember back in the day when game makers did split screen? Well I'm thinking that, only online! How hard could that be? You're on the same map, and you have an objective to kill.

I mean, or how bad is it to have freeroam in multiplayer? Then you could be up to all kinds of crap with your friend/s. It can be done, but no pressure. -_-

That's all I'm saying.

salted onions
11-04-2010, 10:11 PM

That's where you have to use your imagination. I don't think they envisioned the players all having to be in an animus to go into the memories of assassin ancestors just to be able to play together. Co-op usually doesn't integrate story anyway.

Remember back in the day when game makers did split screen? Well I'm thinking that, only online! How hard could that be? You're on the same map, and you have an objective to kill.

I mean how bad is it to have freeroam in multiplayer? Then you could be up to all kinds of crap with your friend/s. It can be done, but no pressure. -_-

That's all I'm saying. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suppose we can think of it like that, but I remember specifically in an interview that Ubisoft has been thinking of co-op, but only if the situation warrants it. I don't think an animus style free-roam for no reason would warrant a co-op mode, but I think a good idea for some AC3 co-op would be one player as Desmond, and perhaps the other player be Lucy? Don't know, just throwing out random ideas. Or co-op can follow an entire story in general. Maybe even a story from the past. Just like how "Assassin's Creed: The Fall" is in the 1990s(the present day ancestor), maybe we could go back to a few years, and perhaps we can see Abstergo mess around with people like Subject 11 and Subject 12 (randomly chosen numbers), and force them into memories of twin assassin's or something...

How's that for imagination? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

X10J
11-04-2010, 10:11 PM
"In AC everything is justified."- the devs.

salted onions
11-04-2010, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by X10J:
"In AC everything is justified."- the devs.

Basically what I've been saying, but the universe of AC is so rich, there are just so many places it can go.

Serenity9066
11-04-2010, 10:16 PM

That's where you have to use your imagination. I don't think they envisioned the players all having to be in an animus to go into the memories of assassin ancestors just to be able to play together. Co-op usually doesn't integrate story anyway.

I mean how bad is it to have freeroam in multiplayer? Then you could be up to all kinds of crap with your friend/s. It can be done, but no pressure. -_-

That's all I'm saying. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suppose we can think of it like that, but I remember specifically in an interview that Ubisoft has been thinking of co-op, but only if the situation warrants it. I don't think an animus style free-roam for no reason would warrant a co-op mode, but I think a good idea for some AC3 co-op would be one player as Desmond, and perhaps the other player be Lucy? Don't know, just throwing out random ideas. Or co-op can follow an entire story in general. Maybe even a story from the past. Just like how "Assassin's Creed: The Fall" is in the 1990s(the present day ancestor), maybe we could go back to a few years, and perhaps we can see Abstergo mess around with people like Subject 11 and Subject 12 (randomly chosen numbers), and force them into memories of twin assassin's or something...

How's that for imagination? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm thinking of gameplay, not making up a new story entirely. You have these custom characters, and the game map. Opposite gender co-op pairings get old.

To make my point clearer, AC: Brotherhood's multiplayer only seems to give players a choice between customizable Assassin Types. Then you're plopped into these team vs. team situations. If you look at just that aspect that really has no function towards story progression.

bmic31
11-04-2010, 10:22 PM
They've already announced that co-op will most definitely be in a future game, but I am not sharp enough to see how they would implement it.

I didn't think multi-player would fly with this game style, but I played the beta and it was quite fun. On the same hand, I don't see how co-op would work out here, given the missions I've played have always worked with 1 assassin. Never together. All the assassinations they talk about only mentions 1 assassin, not 2. I just don't see how it could be implemented in this mindset of gamestyle without slowing it down or making it a clunkier game.

But, I didn't see how they'd pull off multi-player, and they did that extremely well imo.

Serenity9066
11-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by bmic31:
They've already announced that co-op will most definitely be in a future game, but I am not sharp enough to see how they would implement it.

I didn't think multi-player would fly with this game style, but I played the beta and it was quite fun. On the same hand, I don't see how co-op would work out here, given the missions I've played have always worked with 1 assassin. Never together. All the assassinations they talk about only mentions 1 assassin, not 2. I just don't see how it could be implemented in this mindset of gamestyle without slowing it down or making it a clunkier game.

But, I didn't see how they'd pull off multi-player, and they did that extremely well imo.

Well, it's too late to beg for co-op that's for sure. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Serenity9066
11-05-2010, 01:01 AM
By Robson19822009 from this thread (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/7901096168/p/6)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">quote:
From PSM3 Magazine:

PSM3: Did you consider incorporating a co-operative mode into the single-player?
VP: We have a problem with co-op. We did consider it, but the thing is, we've been considering it since the first Assassins Creed. We haven't justified it yet, and in our universe everything is justified. A subject wouldn't be able to have two ancestors at the same time. It just doesn't work in that world. We're justifying the multi-player with the Templar universe. That allows us a brand new range of options to tell a different story. We'll find a way for co-op. It's going to be there for sure... eventually.

It seems they want to have a justifiable reason to have a co-op, and they don't have one at the moment.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif

XxKillaSniperxX
11-05-2010, 01:04 AM
They could have made the contracts you send your assassins a co-op mode. You have the ability to send more than one.

Serenity9066
11-05-2010, 02:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
By Robson19822009 from this thread (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/7901096168/p/6)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">quote:
From PSM3 Magazine:

PSM3: Did you consider incorporating a co-operative mode into the single-player?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well on that note. I was saying that the co-op would probably not be a part of the story line.

Here's an example of one idea:

You get to the start menu...

You have the option to select Multiplayer Online (the currently known multiplayer mode),

or! The choice of multiplayer co-op, which could either be online (*glee*), or possibly as a second option to this little wonderful menu at the start of the game, the choice to play with two controllers, and a split screen (*not so glee, but cool either way*).

So you're games can either be Freemode (THIS IS WHAT WE WANT) where you can select up to the same number of people that make up team play in the normal online multiplayer to play with you, and you get to select a START location on the big awesome Rome map, from there it's like freerunning only you're assassins (duh http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif )... Or you can choose race events or some other such that has already been mentioned before.

Voila! I'm a genius...

PhiIs1618033
11-05-2010, 06:15 AM
There is no co-op in AC yet because the team didn't find a way to justify it and everything is justified in the AC universe. Splitscreen was too much work that was better used elsewhere, so there won't be any of that either.

Serenity9066
11-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by PhiIs1618033...:
There is no co-op in AC yet because the team didn't find a way to justify it and everything is justified in the AC universe. Splitscreen was too much work that was better used elsewhere, so there won't be any of that either.

Dude at least read the rest of the thread before posting.

Serenity9066
11-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Looking at this again I realize how pointless it was to drag this topic on. I get addicted to this forum too easily.

I don't expect any kind of co-op for the major AC games in the end, but it is nice to think about.

Which is why I'm going to be a game designer one of these days!

Iskander_Estel
11-05-2010, 04:48 PM
that's the spirit girl

and we can always dream of co-op,
i love to play with my friends, not just killing random people.

steelernati0n
11-05-2010, 04:50 PM
In one of the Dev Diaries i saw something about Rebecca creating training programs for Desmond.

If you put Desmond and Lucy(or another assasin) in two animi, they could easy justify the reason for co-op.

Skier from Hell
11-06-2010, 09:06 AM
If there are half a dozen players on an assassination mission on the same contract surely they all can't be ezios. How does that work out. Is there a hierarchy system which ranks players according to merit? Do we shed the main character as soon as we exit single player mode? Forgive my ignorance but I've never played a game in multiplayer mode. But whatever, I can't wait to play my favourite game series in multiplayer mode and interacting with players from far off countries I've never been to. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif