PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new joystick

Praetorian_Elite
02-16-2006, 06:26 PM
Hey, I'm about the buy the Gold Pack probably on Saturday and also I am going to be buying a new joystick. Right now I got a Logitech Cordless Freedom that i've had for about 2 years now. It wobbles alot now and i'm looking to replace it.

I don't have very much money to spend at the moment, nothing over $50 for me. I like a twist handle rudder so that I won't be needing to buy rudder pedals.

I'm looking at buying the Thrustmaster Top Gun Fox 2 Pro right now. Would this be a good choice?

VW-IceFire
02-16-2006, 06:54 PM
I researched the Fox 2 Pro myself as a replacement stick and while the general reviews out there seem decent enough I talked to a bunch of people who owned them and they said the Fox 2 Pro was **** in every sense of the word. Not worth the money.

So what I did is saved my multicoloured plasic coated dollars and bought an X-52. I suspect one of the Saitek Cyborg Evo's would fit your price range better and probably be a very good stick. Lots of people like the Cyborg Evo from what I understand. Never owned one myself.

Tully__
02-16-2006, 08:07 PM
My preference would be for a Saitek rather than the Thrustmaster, I found the Saiteks seem to last longer. I've had a Thrustmaster Topgun Afterburner II (HOTAS equivalent of the Fox 2 Pro, the sticks are the same) and I've had 4 Saiteks, the Cyborg 3D, X-45, X-52 and Cyborg Evo (along with a few others). I've also used (but not owned) a couple of Logitechs. Of the sticks currently available in that price range I'd suggest the Saiteks. If you can spend (a lot) more, try out some CH Products gear.

Bearcat99
02-16-2006, 08:25 PM
Try here (http://store.yahoo.com/saitekusa/recprod.html) first. You might consider the X-52.. the 45 is nice too but it has a rudder rocker.

Taylortony
02-17-2006, 05:36 AM
But I LOVE the rocker......the twisty stick thing is so unnatural to use.....

TgD Thunderbolt56
02-17-2006, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by Tully__:
... Of the sticks currently available in that price range I'd suggest the Saiteks. If you can spend (a lot) more, try out some CH Products gear.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

Corsair_Fanatic
02-17-2006, 06:19 AM
I used an X36 for many years and liked it alot....untill I got myself a TM HOTAS Cougar and a set of CH Pro/Pedals (gameport) to go with it. Saitek's stuff is presently the best "budget" HOTAS gear out, and CH makes some nice stuff, but I really like my Cougar. I'll like it alot better if I ever get around to refitting it with HAL sensors, tho.

TX-Zen
02-17-2006, 10:37 AM
I used the Top Gun Fox Pro 2 as my very first IL2 original joystick almost 5 years ago. I really really liked it back then, though I recall that the stick forces where incredibly light.

Good stick and for approximately 30 dollars US (or whatever they go for now) I think it would be difficult to find a better low end stick.