PDA

View Full Version : What happens if this is the last MYST game?

Spybreak272
01-16-2005, 10:17 AM
The title of Myst 5 worries me. I have no idea what i would do if i could no longer explore the stories of D'ni and if i could no longer see the worlds. I have all of the games, and all three of the Myst books. I love the books and I await more, but after the Myst version concludes, and Uru continues will they perhaps give us a game where we are free to interact and explore? Not really a plot to it, but just places to go books to read and link? It would no doubt be a major undertaking, and take years to make, but would others like to see it? Perhaps like in the Book of D'ni where we can explore the ruins and get to go to that great Library of the Great King? I would love to take journeys like Atrus's! Thousands of books each one a world. Or how about an archive of books? Stories of D'ni history, legends, and stories. Gehn's journals, more of Atrus's, there is so much more to be told. It would be cool because it would be something we could escape into after working and be at ease and read these stories and see these worlds. I know i would want to escape into more places discover new places search the books. How about any movies? The books could easily turn into some great movies? Let me know

Lulu2608
01-16-2005, 11:46 AM
I am so delighted to hear that Myst V will be released later this year, I had no idea it would come so soon.

Like you I would rather the stories don't come to an end, but realistically I could cope with it - but only if a new series was created.

Just think of the excitement you feel when a new Myst game opens even though you know the characters and have some idea of the story. Imagine then how you would feel going into a completely new universe where everything was brand new. In a way a prefer this option to Myst 6.

Whatever happens in 2006 and beyond, I still hope to see Myst-TYPE games available from the experts in this genre - Cyan and Ubi. So many have tried to copy the formula and failed.

Lulu

Palytoxin
01-18-2005, 10:14 PM
I certainly hope that ending the "Myst" storyline won't end the "D'ni" storyline. Even if it's not URU based. D'ni is facinating.

AnubisSL5
01-22-2005, 07:50 PM
Perhaps the ending will never be written....*cough cough*

I do hope they continue... you know, like through more books or somthing. I was hoping they would make a book about yeesha's life. Maybe somthing like "MYST - Yeesha's journey"

Reverend Vader
01-22-2005, 08:09 PM
Cyan doesn't have any intention of putting a lid on the D'ni-verse.

Myst V is the last game in the series to deal with the family of Atrus....

Fissure_Walker
01-23-2005, 12:17 AM
This is what I'd like to see:

THe problem, actually being caused by you, The Stranger! Accidentally of course.

Coronagold
01-23-2005, 07:45 AM
Krusty the Klown - "Hey hey, kids! Who do you love?!"
Kids - "Krusty the Klown!"
Krusty - "And how much do you love me?!"
Kids - "With all our hearts!"
Krusty - "And what would you do if I was cancelled?!"
Kids - "We'd kill ourselves!"

Alahmnat
01-23-2005, 12:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Reverend Vader:
Cyan doesn't have any intention of putting a lid on the D'ni-verse.

Myst V is the last game in the series to deal with the family of Atrus.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
While these are both undoubtedly true, the impression I've gotten from reading comments from RAWA and Grey Dragon is that their next project is going to be something totally different and not related to the D'ni universe in any way. After 13 years of developing the D'ni, I'd say it's a fair bet that they want to try moving into fresh territory and start from scratch for a change http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

Which means after End of Ages, we go back to doing what we were doing after Riven came out... pestering the heck out of Cyan to see what they're really up to http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

Perhaps my favorite comment of all time from RAWA about what Cyan was doing was when he said that after Riven they were fairly burned out and wanted to do Myst-sized projects for a while http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

Coronagold
01-23-2005, 12:55 PM
Well, there was 8 years of Uru to keep them busy. Were they working on another project "in the dark" within the past 3 years or so?

Nebodin
01-23-2005, 01:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Myst V is the last game in the series to deal with the family of Atrus.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>This is something that I have never really understood...

Everyone says that the Myst series of games is about Atrus and his family, but then they all get upset if people include Uru in the Myst series. But to me Uru seems to be all about Yeesha, Atrus's daughter, and its the same story line, just further down the track.

Alahmnat
01-23-2005, 01:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Coronagold:
Well, there was 8 years of Uru to keep them busy. Were they working on another project "in the dark" within the past 3 years or so? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
With the exception of realMYST's slight intrusion into their production, to my knowledge the entire 50+ person team at Cyan worked on nothing but Uru from shortly after Riven's release until the release of PotS.

ArienMalfoy
01-23-2005, 01:47 PM
I'm also going to be very sad if they really do decide to end the storyline of Atrus's family. While I can certainly understand their desire to do other things (I'm sure burnout is an understatement here), to me Atrus and his family are a vitally integral part to the Myst and D'Ni universe. To me, it's like being told that my dearest friend is moving away and I'll never be able to see or talk to him again, but I can still drive by his old house. It's just not the same. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

iofthemourning
01-23-2005, 02:20 PM
I agree with you, ArianMalfoy. I don't think I would be at all interested in the D'ni if it wasn't for Atrus and the storyline of his family. Do Cyan realise a lot of fans actually like Myst BECAUSE of the family, human element to it?!

Ian [Atrus]
01-24-2005, 06:21 AM
But there's only so much that can happen to a person before it becomes ridiculous. After four games and two books of trouble, you wonder why Catherine doesn't lock up Atrus in a room without Books and instruments - so maybe they'll be able to have a bit of peace for a while.

There are other persons in the D'ni universe apart from Atrus - there's Yeesha, there's Marrim, there are other 'human' stories that could be told. But if 'the fans' do not want anything else but Atrus, then the best thing to do to is end the D'ni/Myst stories before they're ruined forever.

ArienMalfoy
01-24-2005, 05:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ian [Atrus]:
But there's only so much that can happen to a person before it becomes ridiculous. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While I do agree with this, I would not like to see them abandon Atrus's family altogether. I would love to find out more about Yeesha, whom you also mentioned (please forgive me, but the name Marrim escapes me at the moment; a refresher please?). Does Yeesha ever marry or have children? Perhaps we could visit her children or grandchildren. Or perhaps revisit some of Atrus's ancestors, such as his grandfather and namesake, Aitrus, before the events of The Book of Ti'Ana.

I suppose I wouldn't mind it if we were gradually eased into storylines with other characters and out of the storylines with Atrus and his family, but to drop them completely and try to pick up somewhere else with total strangers...I'm not sure I'd be okay with that. I'd certainly give it a try. I'll never turn down any Myst-related medium outright without giving it a shot. But I just know how difficult it has been for me to get into the later books in the Dune sci-fi series (ie. Heretics of Dune and beyond), when all of the original characters are gone. I worry about the same thing happening to me if the Myst games become only about D'Ni. Then again, I loved the Dune prequels, so who knows. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Nebodin
01-24-2005, 06:21 PM
Since no one replied to my post, I might be a little more explicit...

Is the Myst series just the story of Atrus, and Uru is the story of Yeesha, and Uru isn't part of the Myst series because it doesn't feature Atrus? Because that seems to be the only real distinction I can discern.

Reverend Vader
01-25-2005, 02:00 AM
Yeesha and D'ni were really the main connecting link between the two... But I think Cyan really wanted Uru to branch off in completely new directions (in many different ways). That's probably why they felt that they could make it completely realtime 3D, set in the present day, with an actual avatar playing in third-person perspective... Even though they were still delving into D'ni history, it was to be a very different experience than the other four "numbered" Myst games.

Think Myst: Deep Space Nine... or something to that effect. A spin-off of sorts. So, not really part of the Myst "series" per se even though it was really still part of the "Myst" series. (It was called Uru: Ages Beyond Myst after all...)

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Ian [Atrus]
01-25-2005, 05:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ArienMalfoy:
While I do agree with this, I would not like to see them abandon Atrus's family altogether. I would love to find out more about Yeesha, whom you also mentioned (please forgive me, but the name Marrim escapes me at the moment; a refresher please?). Does Yeesha ever marry or have children? Perhaps we could visit her children or grandchildren. Or perhaps revisit some of Atrus's ancestors, such as his grandfather and namesake, Aitrus, before the events of The Book of Ti'Ana. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually Cyan tried to do that with Uru: they put in the Yeesha character to add a link with the old storyline, while leaving Atrus & company out of the way. I'm sure that, if Live had continued, we would have discovered a lot more about Yeesha's past.

And in the end we're saying the same thing: we can have D'ni stories (or Myst games) that continue the legacy of Atrus without actually Atrus and the Stranger being there. There are many characters that could provide with a good story for a game or book.

(Marrim is the averonese girl who learned how to Write. There is a book about her in Cyan's backburner.)

Mowog
01-28-2005, 09:31 AM
It's easy and fun to come up with possible Myst scenarios, but then we're the fans.

The frustrating part for Cyan is that while it's a heck of a thrill to realize your artistic visions, they still have to appeal to a large enough market to make it as a business. They have to satisfy not only long-time fans, but hopefully recruit new adventurers as well. And the current market is apparently not clamoring for multiplayer adventure games...

So I guess they're in something of a bind. While it would be fantastic if they could hew to the purity of their original vision, the Uru saga seemed to indicate that there just isn't enough of a fan base to make such a project economically viable. Or even if there were enough potential buyers, it would take so much additional investment to iron out the technical problems that crippled Uru that it still wouldn't be do-able.

I'm really anxious to see what they come up with next. My speculation is that they will shift their focus to slant the next release toward the market a bit more, but still maintain ties to the previous titles.

Or I may be completely off-base. But just like our heroes at Cyan, we also love to fantasize!

Tallonenx
01-30-2005, 07:48 PM
I would love to see a D'ni based sort of ages of empires game or something like that. You could colonize a new world, come into contact and learn about the natives, build and open guild halls on your age, and maybe even (if you reaaallly wanted to) choose the Ghen or Kadish side of the D'ni and hold illegal activities. Then there would sort of be a tribune thingy to the King at that time, and you could advance your favor with him and the entire empire of D'ni. Of course it would be set before the fall.
Yea, that would be awesome-plus we would finally get to see all of the Guild Symbols.
I DON'T KNOW WHAT I WOULD DO IF ALL THE MYSTERIES SUROUNDING D'NI WERE NEVER ANSWERED!!!!!!!!!

Coronagold
01-31-2005, 04:42 AM
MystCraft? No thanks. I wouldn't be too happy with Super Myst Kart : All Stars either.

the_fibber
01-31-2005, 07:19 AM
Or:

Battlefield: Myst.
Myst: The Board Game

I'm not too concerned about all the questions not being answered. I've seen to many films, games and books where they try a little too hard to answer everything, so everything gets just a little too silly.

Mowog
01-31-2005, 07:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Myst: The Board Game <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>He he... mental picture here: "Oh man, I landed on a Panic Link square AGAIN!!! " http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Or a PotS square, where you have to wait motionless for 15 minutes before continuing the game...

A Teledahn square, where you need to simultaneously land on four different squares to continue...

A Kadish square, tricky because it's there but you can't see it...

Enough.

cathyk
01-31-2005, 07:35 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ArienMalfoy:
Does Yeesha ever marry or have children? QUOTE]

I'm surprised that no-one has responded to this question - in the Watcher's prophecies (Book 5), the last two lines read:

And a daughter will carry the burden of her father.
And the daughter of the daughter will live in peace.

So Yeesha definitely has a daughter, but we don't know if it is Yeesha's actions that will enable that, or the actions of the Gathered, or if the Stranger returns. (Could the Stranger be part D'Ni?) So there's definitely another story to tell here.

GadrenURU
01-31-2005, 10:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mowog:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Myst: The Board Game <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>He he... mental picture here: "Oh man, I landed on a Panic Link square AGAIN!!! " http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Or a PotS square, where you have to wait motionless for 15 minutes before continuing the game...

A Teledahn square, where you need to simultaneously land on four different squares to continue...

A Kadish square, tricky because it's there but you can't see it...

Enough. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

:P
apparently there WAS a Myst board game, back when people were making everything Myst.
http://www.lonelyto25.com/myststuff/item.php?item=53

Mowog
01-31-2005, 01:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Apparently there WAS a Myst board game... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Interesting! Note that there's one currently offered on eBay, HERE. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=268&item=6944744727&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW)

Hey, remember the Atrus and Saavedro action figures that were available a while back? Bet they're hard to find these days. BTW, they looked like THIS. (http://community-1.webtv.net/slhocre/myst3/) (That link is sort of iffy. HERE (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=348&item=5938962110&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V) is a Saavedro action figure by himself.)

ArienMalfoy
01-31-2005, 04:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tallonenx:
I would love to see a D'ni based sort of ages of empires game or something like that. You could colonize a new world, come into contact and learn about the natives, build and open guild halls on your age, and maybe even (if you reaaallly wanted to) choose the Ghen or Kadish side of the D'ni and hold illegal activities. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think this would be SO COOL!!! You could "write" an Age, and then see what happens if your writing didn't quite go as you would have liked. As you learn the fine art of writing an Age, your Ages would improve. The difficulty level could be set from easy, where the game would give you hints and tips on writing, to hard, where you would just have to figure it out on your own. After writing the age, you could go to it and interact with the people and creatures you had "created".

ArienMalfoy
01-31-2005, 04:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cathyk:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ArienMalfoy:
Does Yeesha ever marry or have children? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm surprised that no-one has responded to this question - in the Watcher's prophecies (Book 5), the last two lines read:

And the daughter of the daughter will live in peace. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, thanks for the answer. Can you point me to these prophecies? I seem to remember someone mentioning them before, but I can't remember actually seeing them myself. Who wrote them? What I mean is, are the considered part of the "official" D'Ni canon?

Theo1728
01-31-2005, 05:40 PM
I don't think it will end with MystV. I think that Uru/ Third D'ni Restoration will go on for a long time... with or without Ubisoft, with or without Cyan. If you have been following Clockwork Orange BBS > Garternay > Uru: Ages Beyond Myst > H'uru, you will have found "the official word on Hacking Uru". Now I don't know how much I can quote from Dillenger69, Radio O'no, Bogardan Mage and starfyre72 without violating copyrights, and I don't know how to add a link to their material in this posting, but what they've been saying is that they are "free to hack away at things as long as we don't distribute files that people originally had to pay for", basically everything in 'To D'ni'. I think that various servers will continue to run versions of Uru Live, and that talented people will add their own additional worlds or ages, some of them approaching the original games in value in the long run. How much brilliance and talent exists in these communities? I haven't played Uru yet, (system not capable), so I don't know if 'To D'ni' includes any kind of a library, but if some hacker added a few books, and some other hacker created a "D'ni Link" that could launch a player from one portion of Uru Live to another, (or, hopefully from UL on one server to UL on another server), we could have ourselves another first, (if it hasn't been done already), a system that looks more like VRML than HTML, a realtime- 3d rendered, virtual web with multiple contributing authors/ architects/ worldbuilders.

GadrenURU
01-31-2005, 07:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cathyk:
Does Yeesha ever marry or have children? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And the daughter of the daughter will live in peace. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, thanks for the answer. Can you point me to these prophecies? I seem to remember someone mentioning them before, but I can't remember actually seeing them myself. Who wrote them? What I mean is, are the considered part of the "official" D'Ni canon? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

some info on the Watcher:
http://www.dpwr.net/archive.php?showarticle=1720

there's links to all his prophecies there too.

Theo1728
02-07-2005, 06:12 PM
Has anyone on this board looked at any of the material related to the upcoming "Ages of Ilathid"? If this is successful, I see no reason to doubt that others will follow it. Opinions?

ArienMalfoy
02-07-2005, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the link Gadren! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

LBO1974
02-12-2005, 05:41 AM
Hi, I'm new to these forums but have played all the games so far. Myst + Riven on Mac Exile on PS2 Uru (complete) on PC and just started Revelations today!.

I can only hope that M5 will not be the end of the series. I adore running/jumping/shooting games. I am always entertained by the Japanese ghost-story spooky playstation games. I love adventure games. But there is NOTHING that compares to the enjoyment I get from the Myst series of games. I love the emersion, the music, the puzzles - even though sometimes they are a bit weird http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

That being said I can understand If they want to give Atrus and family a rest. But I would be extremely saddened if this type of game wasn't continued by ubi/cyan/all the other amazing people that make these games.

Alahmnat
02-12-2005, 09:15 PM
I say we wait and see what Cyan's next project is... unless something horrible has happened and Rand's brain has been replaced with that of an EA executive http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif, whether their next project continues in the D'ni universe or not, it'll be a wonderful adventure http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

mszv
02-12-2005, 09:50 PM
I'm looking forward to an ending, and for Cyan doing something else, game wise. I think it's time.

I'm also looking forward to what the fans do on new Uru content (couple of posts up), but it might be awhile to get brand new shiny wonderful ages!

So much to look forward to.

DMeister5888
02-23-2005, 01:08 AM
I would agree with many, I think Cyan is likely to do a Myst branchoff with different characters but the same concept. Like "The Next Generation" is to Star Trek. I also hope that they start working on some other series. I've been waiting for someone to brush the dust off The Journeyman Project Series for a while. A company like Cyan would be perfect for such a task.

ArienMalfoy
02-23-2005, 06:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DMeister5888:I've been waiting for someone to brush the dust off The Journeyman Project Series for a while. A company like Cyan would be perfect for such a task. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second that. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Xrc6
02-27-2005, 10:42 AM
i think cyan hurt themselves financially with uru, they spent what like 4,5 years on it project mudd or whatever they used to call it and its main aspect for future use (online play) got cancelled, after riven i dont think they made all the sales they really needed to stay alive long after spending so much on uru but rather enough to keep making a sequal which i'm sure they know is running quite thin storywise/technology wise, i think their either going for a whole new story line or new game

personally i found riven to be the best as far as environments and sense of mystery is concerned, with games like myst you have to at least have soemthing fun to look at, uru and myst 3 had boring environments, myst 4 has a few really nice ones, plus the puzzles need to be fun too without aggrevating most players cuz thats a big turnoff, why start up a game knowing you cant do nothing else but try to solve a difficult puzzle when you could go play farcry for instance..they need a new formula something more freebased

ArienMalfoy
02-27-2005, 12:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by xrc6:
uru and myst 3 had boring environments <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know I'm in the minority when I say that Riven is actually my least favorite Myst game (and I use the term "least favorite" loosely, as I love all of them), but I'm surprised at your statement. I thought all the Myst games had beautiful environments, and Myst 3 was my very favorite up until Revelations. I just thought the environments were the most beautiful of all the games, especially Edanna.

It's amazing how different people's tastes can be, eh? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

the_fibber
02-27-2005, 05:19 PM
I know I'm in the minority when I say that Riven is actually my least favorite Myst game (and I use the term "least favorite" loosely, as I love all of them) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm intrigued! Riven was my absolute favourite, but I'm assuming you have valid reasons for enjoying the others more. So what are they? Do tell! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ArienMalfoy
02-27-2005, 06:08 PM
Well, first of all I want to make it clear that I didn't dislike Riven at all. It's just that if I had to list them in order of preference, it would be last. I'm not sure exactly why that is, but I've replayed all the other Myst games numerous times, while I've only played Riven a couple of times and really have no interest in going back and playing it again. Graphics-wise I have to put it above the original Myst, of course, but the original will always hold a place in my heart because it was first. I just loved the story and the beauty of Exile so much that until Revelation came along it was my favorite. It's still really a toss-up between Revelation and Exile for me. I think it might have to do with the fact that I love games and stories which are more character-driven, and we really got more information about Atrus, his family, other characters, and how they all interact in subsequent games. I really loved getting the backstory of the brothers in Exile and Revelation. I'm sort of a family history afficianado, so anything that deals with the family stories of the characters is appealing to me.

I think my lack of interest in Riven also has to do with Gehn. He is definitely my least favorite character in the Myst universe, both books and games. So that probably also has something to do with it.

URU I put above Riven only because I loved learning more about Yeesha and the D'Ni. Graphically, I think it is inferior to Riven, Exile, and Revelation, though better than the original Myst. I did like being able to switch back and forth between first and third person view, but in a way being able to see "myself" detracted from the game for me.

Anyway, that's my opinion. Sorry to be so long-winded, but you did ask. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

iofthemourning
02-28-2005, 07:48 AM
Re: ArienMalfoy... What are you saying?!?!?!?!?! Ghen is one of the greatest characters ever written for a computer game. He is so hateful, complex and unnerving, yet consumed by an inner sadness that makes me feel sorry for him (the death of Keta, his relationship with his son (and remember Atrus stole Catherine from him on their wedding day...cheeky b@stard!!!), etc.) One of the reasons RIVEN is wrapped in so much mystique (no pun intended) is the prescence of Ghen...he is in my opinion the only completely believable character in the games, showing Atrus, Saaveedro etc to be slightly hollow characters.

A bold statement perhaps, but without Ghen, the MYST series, and certainly Riven, would be nothing.

No Ghen = no Riven = no Exile = no Rev

So the Myst franchise would be Myst, Myst Masterpiece Edition, Real Myst, Myst Extra Screws On A Panel in Selenetic Edition and...retch... Uru.

I think the introduction of Ghen is akin to the writing of the character Picard into the Star Trek universe...it opened up so many new possibilities for the MYST series.

ArienMalfoy
02-28-2005, 04:33 PM
Eh, Gehn was a jerk from a young age. Remember how he treated his mother, even in childhood? Yes, I can accept that he was shaped by the negative treatment he received from his peers, but that doesn't excuse his serious God-complex and his lack of respect for everyone around him, including his own son.

I'm sure we were meant to dislike him, so the creators did a good job there because Gehn is definitely my least favorite character. I didn't like him in the books, and I didn't like him in Riven. And I personally find the brothers to be a bit more complex than Gehn, but that's my personal preference I suppose.

And how do you say that we would have no Exile or Revelation without Riven? I can't find where Riven is necessary to that continuation.

Besides, without Atrus, we wouldn't have any of the games at all. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Coronagold
02-28-2005, 08:14 PM
I find Gehn to be very much like Saruman. All powerful, & a will bent to exercise that power. This is incurred by his grandfather.

Atrus is an heir to one of the Kings of D'ni. Gee, can you guess which one? Play To D'ni & read the Kings' journals, & discover a similar plan remaniscient of Myst. It's pretty obvious.

Coronagold
02-28-2005, 08:15 PM
Atrus came from a corrupt line of Kings. He's the Good Seed, as it were. He's the Innocent out of a long line of evil (or semi evil) rulers. And he's kind of oblivious as to why he's in this situation in the first place. However, his lack of connection with his sons' childhood kind of confirms that he's too busy studying Selenetic to be bothered with his sons' social developments. (A backwash from his father.)

ArienMalfoy
02-28-2005, 08:33 PM
Lol, and I really didn't like Saruman either.

But why blame Gehn's grandfather? He wasn't at all power-hungry that I can recall.

Coronagold
02-28-2005, 08:47 PM
Atrius? He was bent for power. So were most of his ancestors. So were most of the Guild. They were frantic that generation. They were dying off.

That's why Atrus ends up in the Cleft, on Earth. As a child.

And don't forget Yeesha's powers in all of this.

ArienMalfoy
02-28-2005, 09:07 PM
Well, I've only read the books and I never read anything that indicated that Aitrus lusted for power in any way. If he's depicted differently in later installments of URU, then that's quite a departure from the Book of Ti'Ana.

Coronagold
02-28-2005, 09:12 PM
There is a Book in To D'ni in which an evil King traps his 2 evil sons in 2 Death books. Study it. You will be surprised. This is a precursor. This is the one King that Atrius, Gehn, & Atrus are descended from.

Despite their nobility, they are very ignorant of their past connections.

Alahmnat
03-01-2005, 12:55 AM
The only book I can recall offhand that entails a king trapping any relatives in a Death Book was King Shomat (http://www.dpwr.net/archive.php?showarticle=1617), and he trapped his not-so-evil brothers, not his evil sons. A subsequentscouring of the texts transcribed at DPWR has also turned up nothing relating to what you've described... Also, if you would, please point out anywhere where it says Atrus is descended from a D'ni king. I rather seriously doubt that, personally, because Aitrus' family wasn't nobility in D'ni, just aristocracy (large difference). If anybody was descended from a king it would more likely be one of the Five. Or were you being less than literal in your use of the word "descended"?

I honestly don't think Atrus was more interested in his Ages and experiments than in his own sons, but having had a truly abysmal father figure, he just doesn't really know how to carry himself in the role of "dad". According to Revelation, after Ti'ana's death he burried himself in his work as a way to cope with his grief... not the best way of handling things admitedly, but not everyone is terribly stellar at handling emotions. Gehn was someone who lusted after power and was convinced of his right to possess it at the expense of countless other lives. Atrus, on the other hand, was a researcher and an explorer, one who sought knowledge and - more importantly I think - wisdom. He wasn't power-hungry or greedy, he just wanted to know how things worked. In fact he repeatedly denies a lot of power that people try to give to him through the course of the books (especially BoD). I mean, the man could be the leader and ruler of the new D'ni if he wanted to, but he's back in Tomahna stargazing and blowing circuit beakers. Hardly a power-hungry attitude if you ask me. I'm still trying to figure out where on earth you're getting this notion that Aitrus' father was the same sort of mental deviant as Gehn when his attitude towards others, especially Ti'ana, is completely different from Gehn's. And Kahlis certainly wasn't a king, either... he wasn't even a Great Lord.

Now, Yeesha kind of worries me, but I think at this point there's insufficient material to fully support either the fact that she's psychotic like her brothers or that she's still got a good streak in her. Hopefully time will tell.

Coronagold
03-01-2005, 04:26 AM
Lenny - "Hey! This guy's right!"

I may be wrong, but it got you up & talking. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

ArienMalfoy
03-01-2005, 07:29 AM
Al, thanks for the clarification.

Alahmnat
03-01-2005, 12:28 PM
When do I ever stop talking, Corona? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

mszv
03-03-2005, 06:31 PM
I realize that Riven is considered to be the established masterpiece by many fans, but I don't care for it. It's not the story that bother me. The story is fine. I don't like the gameplay and there aren't enough ages to suit me. I prefer more localized puzzles and more ages, rather than a game with mostly one age that is essentially one big puzzle.

On building new worlds - that's an interesting concept. What you have is a game where the people you meet in the game can write new ages, but you can't do it. That's something Wil Wright (architect of all the Sims games, which, I might add, revolutionized the industry) remarked on, when he was on a panel with Rand Miller and (oh, memory escapes me), a famous game designer, the one who did Prince of Persia. Wil Wright was a huge fan of Myst, but one of the things he wanted to do, after he played the game, was make his own ages.

That's not the way the Myst series games are done - it's not part of the design. The games don't get released with customization tools. You can't create any ages, nor can you do any customization of any element in the games. I think that's fine, it's their design choice, and you also have to make different choices when you make a game where people can do extensive customization, either by importing stuff into the game, or by your in-game customization tools. It's just interesting - it seems that fans often want to make something that they can put in the game.

Kweaper
03-04-2005, 08:48 AM
Please note that i have not readt this entire post list so if this has already been posted i appoligies.

I think Cyan would be smart to finaly start to steer to more of an open world.
Through all the myst games (i am not talking about URU) we have followed Atrus his wife and children for long enough that i am starting to think that we are becoming stalkers to his family.

It would be nice for Cyan to remain in the D'ni-verse but start introducing differen't characters into the game and\or helping those charactors with solving new puzzle.
I also think it would be nice to actually travel along side a charactor to worlds where you have to help eachother with puzzles where you comunicate through your KI.

(i.e. having a lock that needs 2 people to turn 2 keys at the same time.)

the charactor doesn't have to be with you all the time they go off on their own and just contact you if they have found something or need help.

also it would be nice to have several ways to finish ages\levels depending on what you did or did not do in that age\level.
---------------------------------

Another game i could for see is helping the barho.
-------------------------

Time travel by falling into some sort of fissure like cavern and get taken back to d'ni - Story line becomes something like the 'Book of Ti'ana'.
------------------------

I think their are still endless ways the myst series could go, i just think it is time to move on from Atrus.
Allthough he has tought us much about D'ni ways there is just so much you could do with the same charactors.
But they should continue with Yeesha and her growing pains (very trouble i feel she is).

Mowog
03-15-2005, 08:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I also think it would be nice to actually travel along side a charactor to worlds where you have to help eachother with puzzles where you comunicate through your KI.

(i.e. having a lock that needs 2 people to turn 2 keys at the same time.) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, that was the intent of Uru, or at least the Live version. In fact, it's thought that some of the puzzles in PotS seem obscure and frustrating mainly because they had to be converted from multi-player to single-player. Hence the time delays and such.

As for allowing us to create our own ages, that would be great. But creating these worlds is a hideously complex process. Cyan worked on Uru for years, as we all know. To provide the tools for us to write our own ages would be a phenomenal undertaking, and as much as I would love to build a world, I just don't see it happening. And even if we could build our own worlds, I think they'd be really inferior to those built by the specialists at Cyan.

ArienMalfoy
03-15-2005, 10:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mowog:

As for allowing us to create our own ages, that would be great. But creating these worlds is a hideously complex process. Cyan worked on Uru for years, as we all know. To provide the tools for us to write our own ages would be a phenomenal undertaking, and as much as I would love to build a world, I just don't see it happening. And even if we could build our own worlds, I think they'd be really inferior to those built by the specialists at Cyan. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm...very good points. (Bubble goes *pop*)

Zander Nyrond
03-15-2005, 05:43 PM
On the other hand, it might be possible to simulate the process. I was imagining for a long time a D'ni-based game in which one would for some reason be compelled to do a Gehn...put together an Age by combining pre-written passages of D'ni. The Age would vary according to which passages you chose to include. It seemed to me for a long time that that was the next logical step after Riven.

I will be very disappointed if Cyan abandons D'ni, but I do think Atrus and Catherine deserve some peace at last, and I can understand Rand and the others wanting to prove that they have more to offer than just the one game universe.

LeoGo
03-30-2005, 10:37 AM
If it's the last, maybe they should have left it for later?

ArienMalfoy
03-31-2005, 09:33 AM
Because it's the last in the storyline of Atrus and his family. There may be other games about D'Ni, but they won't be about Atrus.

Coronagold
03-31-2005, 09:17 PM
Unless, of course, they came up with a future game that revolved around Myst & the ancient stranger that was found & revived in later years, such as the 20s' or Great Depression eras. In other words, you'd be studying about Myst as well as about the stranger. So you'd be further removed. And more inquisitive, I imagine. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

ArienMalfoy
04-03-2005, 03:24 PM
I like this idea, except that instead of revivinig the stranger (which seems a little too futuristic to me), you'd find their journal or something.

GadrenURU
04-03-2005, 04:59 PM
well, we already DO have the Stranger's journal for part of his/her journey...it's the Myst IV strategy guide.

ArienMalfoy
04-03-2005, 05:26 PM
Right, but I'm talking about an expanded version, including events that perhaps haven't happened yet (but would be in the past for us as players).

mszv
04-04-2005, 11:00 AM
Blah, the idea of "the stranger" again. Ick.

I've never liked it - when I play the game, I'm not pretending to be "the stranger", I'm me. That's the charm of the games. I suppose that, although I would put myself in the position of long time "fan", I must be a more casual fan.

The only time I didn't absolutely hate the talk about "the stranger" was in the Myst IV strategy guide, where the talk about "the stranger" was done with a great deal of charm.

Yup, it's really time for this series to end, and I include Uru as a part of the series. Just give that beach age, and let me see those tunnels. I remember a mudpie shot (mudpie was the code name for Uru), which never was in the game. I want to see those areas, and find out what happened to Yeesha, and have an actual story - you know, characters that have the complexities and nuances of real people, a plot (not just a backstory), and a decent ending. Then I'll be happy.

Mowog
04-13-2005, 08:21 AM
Obviously, "The Stranger" is anonymous because of the way the earlier titles were built. As single-player games with 1st-person-only viewing, and with generic exchanges with in-game characters, there was no way to assign any sort of identity to our characters.

In an ideal world, we could have designed our own avvies in the earlier games as we did in Uru, and assigned them names likewise. Then through some sort of digital magic, Atrus and others would have addressed us by name during future encounters. (Thinking "Uh - Clem" here. Sorry, that's a Firesign Theatre reference.) Then there would have been no need to refer to us as "The Stranger." But reality dictated that we be anonymous, beyond Atrus's "Hello, my friend!"

Ian [Atrus]
04-14-2005, 11:30 AM
Am I the only one who thinks as the Stranger and us as separate entities? I don't think that, if you're playing in first person, it necessarily means that 'you' are the main character - as a third person game does not mean you're playing as someone else.

If in Myst V it turns out that 'we' are the Stranger I'd be really disappointed - since ANY one of us would be 'him'. So much for 'historical'.

ArienMalfoy
04-15-2005, 08:48 AM
I've always assumed that the 'Stranger' was us, the player. Who else would it be?

Ian [Atrus]
04-15-2005, 11:02 AM
The Stranger is a character in the Myst story, and we play his part in the Myst game.

Maybe it's just that I'm really detached from the characters I play. In Ultima Underworld it was "the Avatar", not me. In the Zork games I was the 'anonymous adventurer', or the sweepstakes winner, or the door-to-door vacuum cleaner seller.... I played all of them, but none of them was me.

It's like playing a part in theatre. You're living the character's story in first person, but you're not the character - just an actor.

ArienMalfoy
04-15-2005, 12:28 PM
I am the exact opposite. Whatever game I play, I am the character. Male or female, it is very easy for me to just become the character.