PDA

View Full Version : Adding GM faces in Chessmaster 11?

Pr0metheus 1962
12-15-2007, 01:46 PM
Hi folks,

I've been trying to add historical images of grandmaster personalities to the game but it doesn't work. It's easy to change the fictitious personalities but the real ones (with the Master.bmp image) won't be redirected to any bitmap file outside the faces.dat archive. Has anyone tried to do this - it's driving me batty. I'd just like to add the faces of people like Fischer and Spassky - not that I'll ever get to seriously play them, but it would be nice if they were represented by their real images in the game.

Alternatively, does anyone know how to unpack and repack that faces.dat archive so I can change the images that way?

Pr0metheus 1962
12-15-2007, 02:20 PM
No, but at least I did a search for faces, grandmaster faces and GM faces before I posted, so I reckon I'd done my bit. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Pr0metheus 1962
12-15-2007, 02:29 PM
Anyway, how is it done? The first thing I tried was adding bitmaps and it totally didn't work because I figured they had to be called Master.bmp or I had to change the CMP file to point it to a newly-named bitmap. How do you find the correct filenames for the bitmaps? All the CMP files seem to point to the Master.bmp file. Is it simply the same filename as the CMP file?

Hehe I spent all afternoon messing with this and trying to find a program that would unpack the faces.dat file, LOL.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-15-2007, 02:58 PM
Yeah, I'd done that a bunch of times, but for some reason I figured the bitmap name had to conform to the name given inside the CMP files, and although that works for the fictitious opponents it doesn't work for the grandmasters. I guess I was trying to be too smart for my own good - I should have just tried naming them the same as the CMP filenames.