PDA

View Full Version : SHIII as Ship Simulator

farcry454853
09-28-2005, 01:35 PM
I dunno about you, but iv wanted to play a Ship Simulator for years now. Sure theres some indie ones like Virtual Sailor, or racing ones like Virtual Skipper. But i would love to be the captain of a cargo ship, sailing in the beutifull seas produced by the SHII engine. Do the devs ever plan to release the tools we need to modify/add models to the game? it wouldnt be hard to model the bridge of a C3 or some other cargo ship. Do you think this would be posible any thime soon? or should i be bugging microsoft for a "Microsoft Ship Simulator"?

farcry454853
09-28-2005, 01:35 PM
I dunno about you, but iv wanted to play a Ship Simulator for years now. Sure theres some indie ones like Virtual Sailor, or racing ones like Virtual Skipper. But i would love to be the captain of a cargo ship, sailing in the beutifull seas produced by the SHII engine. Do the devs ever plan to release the tools we need to modify/add models to the game? it wouldnt be hard to model the bridge of a C3 or some other cargo ship. Do you think this would be posible any thime soon? or should i be bugging microsoft for a "Microsoft Ship Simulator"?

rick_475
09-28-2005, 01:46 PM
The only "ship sim" that could see the light of day would have to be very similar to train simulator or railroad tycoon. You would have to develop trade routes, and build your empire. Add to that the possibility to get a close look at the ships while they sail in the sunset... A game where you have to sail a cargo from point A to B again and again would be very boring, and pointless.

Canasoppa
09-28-2005, 02:03 PM
Ports of Call

That's the answer!
Great game, it was originally business simulator.

Ports of Call (DOS/Amiga) (Business Sim)
Ports of Call for windows (Business Sim)
Ports of Call 3D (Only driving ships, can be merged with POC for windows)

In Ports of Call 3D you can drive the ships through iceberg field and reefs and/or dock ships in harbor and vice versa.

But you can't do anything else..

Ports of Call (http://www.rdklein.com/ports_of_call/ports_of_call.html)

ILikePortillos
09-28-2005, 02:06 PM
I see what he's saying though. Although you're not likely to see an official release of something (because there would be a limited audience and it wouldn't make much money), if the engine modding tools were released, you could develop your own functionality and further immerse yourself in the virtual theatre.

Maj_Solo
09-28-2005, 02:21 PM
A ship simulator would be interesting. Not sailing on the open ocean, we know allready in SHIII what it feels like to go from point A on one continent to point B on another continent.

But I can see that it could actually be intersting if the ships were realistically fully modelled from from the handling and control perspecitve from the bridge. And to learn how to maneuvre hem in ports, especially half modern ships. And to learn how the ships should be loaded before the jurney so that the ships lifespan is not shortened. So for such a sim I would require many different ships types like for example a modern Thug boat to learn how to pull and push and command 5 or 7 or more of your litel "friends" in other thugh boat and decide exactly how the beast should be handled.

You would have a chance to learn about navigation on old boats up to boats built this year.

So for it to be fun and challenging you would use the sim for the near or in port activities. Seaching for the way into a port by looking at lighthouses and navigate the passages.

It could actually be a very interesting sim, I play virtual skipper some sometimes to "wind down". I used to race and trained alot on elit level and sailed long into the winter when ice started to form all over the boat. Virtual skipper is or should be about "Tranquility", "Trophy Hunter" is also such a game. Only virtual skipper mades me very mad in the beginning.

Many wind shifts that occur in the thim are impossible in real life if you look at the land masses around you in the sim. But after a few races I understood the sims "attitude" which is "you think you know anything about sailing? we will prove to you that you do not!". So having this in mind, I now instead do the opposite of what I would choose in real life, I simply go for the worst possible course and the worse possible tactical discision, you know why? cause an unbelievable crazy wind shift will help me later higher up on this leg, the crazy windshifts are a gurranteed event in the sim, so count on them.

Still, tranquility, once you learned not to be upset with the sim.

A ship sim would be nice, and more of real "shipping" and "skipping" in SHIII itself, sea charts and navigation and such.