PDA

View Full Version : getting off the ground

mikeman_4_ever1
05-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Just started playin IL2 the last week or so. I'm having problems takeing off and in the air with rolls. seems that when i'm going to take off the plane gets into the air and rolls sharply to the left....nothing i do on my joystick can correct. same thing in the air. if i pull too hard of a turn it'll start barrel-rolling and will stall....even at 300km/h
any ideas?

mikeman_4_ever1
05-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Just started playin IL2 the last week or so. I'm having problems takeing off and in the air with rolls. seems that when i'm going to take off the plane gets into the air and rolls sharply to the left....nothing i do on my joystick can correct. same thing in the air. if i pull too hard of a turn it'll start barrel-rolling and will stall....even at 300km/h
any ideas?

cobaltz0rz
05-01-2007, 11:29 AM
on the runway your plane will create torque and push your plane to one side. Counter that easily with the rudder in the opposite direction

Blood_Splat
05-01-2007, 11:33 AM
Lock tail wheel if applicable.

MrMojok
05-01-2007, 11:35 AM
300 km/h is not very fast, for a fighter. What plane are you flying?

As for takeoff, another thing you can do is if your plane has rudder trim, dial in about 5-6 clicks right trim before you roll. That will help counteract the torque as you rev up the engine.

p-11.cAce
05-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Your best bet for success is to follow basic RL procedures as much as possible. Takeoff sequence in a -109E should go something like:
start engine.
center trims.
set takeoff flaps.
throttle to 25%, roll fwd a feet and center up on the runway.
lock tail wheel.
apply right rudder, stick back.
release brakes.
throttle smoothly up.
use peripheral vision to maintain equal amount of runway clearance on both sides of a/c.
ease the stick to center as you come through 80-100kph.
Add more or less right rudder as the tail starts to fly to remain centered on runway (as speed builds slowly reduce rudder input).
feed in a dab of right stick (don't over do it) to catch the left wing as you get light on the wheels.
Lift off and level at 20 feet or so to allow speed to build.
Brake to stop wheels and retract undercarriage.
Retract flaps to combat and begin climbing as speed reaches 230 kph.
Retract flaps all the way at 250kph and adjust climb angle to maintain 250-270kph.

Go shoot down hurri's http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Bearcat99
05-01-2007, 12:46 PM
Make sure you have enough speed and let the plane take off.. dont try to pull back on the stick.

Xiolablu3
05-01-2007, 06:16 PM
HI Mike, welcome to an amazing sim!

WHat plane are you flying?

Have you checked your joystick in windows calibration to make sure its not pulling you to the left? Go into My Computer>Control panel>Game controllers and check its calibrated OK.

WW2 planes are not modern day Jets with a thrust ratio of over 1:1, ie you cannot point the nose straight up and keep going up.

Think of your WW2 fighter more like a powered glider - you must build up enough energy/height for a given manouvre before it is possible to perform it.

If you are having problem perfroming some kind of manouvre, then you either have not built up enough speed/energy to perform it, or you are pushing the plane too hard and you should try and relax the turn a bit so as not to bleed as much speed.

Its a slowish process to build up height,speed or energy and very easy to lose it again through hard turns etc. Try and practise keeping you speed up through manouvres ie not pulling too hard.

You can usually tell when you are bleeding a lot of energy as the plane will complain and buffet as you make the turn tighter.

Too peform a loop I would think in most planes, you will need more than 300kph on the way down to the bottom before you pull up over the top. But it depends on the plane you are in. A Spitfire, Bf109 or Zero for example may be able to make the loop at 300kph because they handle so well in a slow speed turn (by 'turn' I mean elevator in a bank, not aileron roll).

It sounds like you are tyring to take off to quickly and pull up before you have enough speed. Try and gain height very slowly after take off, otherwise you will stall and crash. Also make sure you have take off flaps on, but take them off as soon as you are in the air and cruising as they cause drag. Maybe try another plane? The Spitfire is a great beginners plane and has no need for take off flaps, try that one out. The MkVIII or IX versions are especially nice. Also the Bf109F4 is a very nice plane for beginners.

May I recommend you get online into one of the more relaxed settings servers as soon as possible. You will learn at 10 times hte speed as playing offline alone. Make the chat bar bigger and talk to people, ask questions. On servers such as UKdedicated2 and other good ones, you will find very freindly people willing to help you. Plus online historical scenario maps are just fantastic in this sim.