PDA

View Full Version : installation problems (grmbl)

dutchbuzzer
10-14-2004, 07:57 AM
So bought the game and now it wont install.. The instalation comes to a point and then it hangs an aborts it could not acces some data on the first dvd... PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!!

have windowsXP

maztec
10-14-2004, 09:16 AM
If you can't access data on the first DVD try the following:

1) Upgrade firmware on DVD Player. Just on the offchance that's the cause (not likely if it's the first DVD having problems).

2) Try it on another computer. Odds are there is an error on the first disk of some type.

It may work on another computer that is more error tolerant.... But generally that's not the case if the DVD itself is bad. If it does work on another computer come back, let us know, and we'll try to figure out what's wrong with your computer.

Maz

dutchbuzzer
10-14-2004, 09:34 AM
on an other pc it freezes even before it does on mine...

i have already contacted customers support but the thing freezes on my pc at 25%

dutchbuzzer
10-14-2004, 09:35 AM
and how do I update my dvd drivers? its some nameless thing...

dutchbuzzer
10-14-2004, 11:38 AM
hi again the game does work on a pc of a freind of mine

mapss
10-14-2004, 02:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dutchbuzzer:
and how do I update my dvd drivers? its some nameless thing... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You first figure out what dvd you have, manufacterer and model. Windows device manager is a starting point. Or a dxdiag report. What does it say?

Then you go to the manufacterers support pages an find your model. Any new firmwares or drivers should be there. Simple as that. Or wish it always was http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

This info should also be with the specifications of your computer, or the ones who put it together should know... but finding out from the computer itself is probably faster and safer.

Corpearl
10-18-2004, 11:51 AM
I was getting Data error (cyclic redundancy check) when trying to install Disc 2 (DVD). It was an error reported at the E:common/data/video_4m4b file. I cleaned my DVD ROM drive and the installation of both discs was successful. I used a disc special for cleaning CD and DVD roms. Hope this helps others. I was so relieved b/c I thought for sure I was going to have to buy a new DVD rom.

RandyP
10-19-2004, 02:23 PM
Re: that cyclic redundancy thing. Yep, found a smudge on disc 2, cleaned it and darned if it didn't load properly. When I exit the game I get the "update everything on your computer or be vaporized" warning, but at least I was able to go to bed last night with the thing running.

I'll have to play with the "firmware" stuff tonight.

And second the notion that Myst has always really pushed the hardware limits for PC owners. But then again, playing a text adventure game a million years ago on my Commodore 64 wasn't easy either.

Mahjibb
10-21-2004, 03:12 AM
I'm having some problem installing the game, because like someone said, there is a file Disc2 (data.m4b) that is on the disc, but the computer won't recognize it. What should I do?

maztec
10-21-2004, 12:11 PM
Mahjibb, see the list of fixes for DVD drives.