PDA

View Full Version : There and back again (Well, almost)

farcry454853
03-31-2005, 03:02 PM
Another problem, lol. I am really enjoying SH3, but on my first patrol i get stumped. I joined the 1st flotilla, type II (start time was the earliest time you can have). First patrol, head up to... errm, forgot grid name, but i remember my nav officer reporting ETA as 52 hours. I left the harbour and set a course, speed ahead full. Half way there i noticed my fuel level had dropped more than i would of expected, but i carried on. As i arrived at the grid and started my patrol, i noticed i had 50% fuel left. I was worried but done the patrol anyway. After spending 28 hours patrolling i headed home, with low fuel. My nac officer calculated that i was going to fall short of my homebase by 357km!. Was i assigned the wrong patrol or something? did i burn up too much fuel at ahead full? Although this has confused me, im not deterred from this game at all, i enjoyed stranding my crew over 200km from the nearest land http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif but i would like to know why i ran out of fuel so soon?

scootertgm
03-31-2005, 03:05 PM
use ahead standard for most crusing and ahead slow if you really want to extend your range.

Bob_Gilroy
03-31-2005, 03:10 PM
Usually I set speed to standard or 1/3 ahead to make the fuel last.

To check if you will have adequate fuel: 1st plot a course to your intended destination and then ask the nav officer what the distance is to the destination and what the range is to the current destination. Your range at the current speed needs to be at least 2x the distance to the patrol area (plus a comfortable margin for deviating off the plotted course to attack merchants etc..).

If your are falling short, lower the speed to the next setting, wait for the sub's speed to level out at the new speed and then recheck the range etc..

You can also increse the range by keeping your engine room at 100% efficiency, the better effiency you have the batter range you will get.

farcry454853
03-31-2005, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the tips http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif My crew will be much happier with me now lol.

quillan
03-31-2005, 03:16 PM
You'll be able to go about twice as far at Ahead 1/3 as you will at Ahead Standard. Don't travel at high speed. Travel slow, and use the higher speeds to intercept targets.

U-505-1971
03-31-2005, 04:03 PM
Try running submerged for some of the trip. You don€t use any fuel wile submerged, and you can hear a lot farther then you can see. Since you don€t need any fuel to return to base I like to save all my fuel for recharging the batters and attack runs only. Until I complete the 24 hour square patrol. Then I have plenty of fuel to look for ships. Makes for a little longer trip but I can cover a lot more area and food is never a problem plus there is no cook on board! Ha-ha. I run engines slow until I am clear of land then I submerge to periscope depth (P key) at standard (3 Key) until batters are down to 25% then go to Slow Speed (1 key) then Surface (S key). P3 then 1S, P3 then 1S. And I have MEGA fuel to complete the mission and run ahead flank for attack runs when ever I need it.