PDA

View Full Version : anyone, please help.

Pages : [1] 2 3

corsair0772
06-23-2007, 07:02 AM
I got Pacific Fighters about a month ago. I had a hell of a time gitting it to play on the computer that I had, so I went out and bought a custom gaming computer. I love flight sim games, and really want to enjoy this game to its fullest extent. I am currently flying a mission and have compleated 6 sorties. Now the game is starting to slow down, almost like it is skipping. I am getting really upset, I dont know what I need to do to get it to work properly. My system has a Athlon processor, 2.22GHz and 2 GB of RAM. My graphics card is a ATI Radeon 800X 256 MB. Like I said the game works fine untill I get deep into a mission, then it starts to slow down. If anyone can tell me what I need to make this work right, I really love this game. Please let me know.

Skycat_2
06-23-2007, 10:53 AM
Things that kill frame rates and make the game stutter:
-- "Perfect" graphics mode. Great for screenshots and cruising, but terrible for missions. Even reducing the terrain detail will help substantially. Try the "Excellent" preset.
-- "Perfect" water. Lesser water detail still looks real enough in my opinion.
-- Too many individual trees. I think there is a setting for forests in the conf.ini.
-- High rate of fire from ships. You can customize this in the conf.ini; I believe there is information of what line you must edit in.
-- Large numbers of planes in the air. Your CPU must control every AI plane, so the more planes there are the more your computer has to work. Additionally, there is usually a hiccup when planes are generated into the mission. Try adding the following to the conf.ini, at the end of the document:

[DGen]
AirIntensity=Low

(By default the Air Intensity is "Medium")

-- 3D gunners. Not a huge frame hit in of itself, but all "eye candy" has a price. If you have this feature turned on, consider if you really need it.
-- Video Mode. Open Glide usually runs better, but it may worthwhile to try DirectX also.
-- Background programs. Are you running other programs (like AntiVirus) in the background? also, Windows VISTA runs more processes than XP and is generally a resource pig.
-- Java updates. Having current Java drivers may help.

corsair0772
06-23-2007, 11:11 AM
Thanks for that, but I am not the best with computers, it like speeking in a different language to me. Do you think that my graphics card is to small to run this game? I am running a Radeon 800X 256MB. Do I need a 8000X or a 9000X?

VW-IceFire
06-23-2007, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by corsair0772:
Thanks for that, but I am not the best with computers, it like speeking in a different language to me. Do you think that my graphics card is to small to run this game? I am running a Radeon 800X 256MB. Do I need a 8000X or a 9000X?
That'd be a Radeon X800 which is not a bad card in its day. The progression over the last few generations goes a bit like this:

X800
X1900
X2900

So a 9000 or a 8000 would be a serious downgrade. You'd be hard pressed to find a 8000 series card...and the 9000 series has had a very good long run but they are getting harder to find now too.

Hard to say what the issue is when you say it slows down allot halfway into a mission. That may depend on the mission and whats in it. Its normal for it slow a bit if there are allot of things going on at once...especially if its a navy campaign and the enemy is attacking the fleet. All of the bullets being fired really put a damper on your machine so you may want to pay attention and see what specifically is causing the slow down.

corsair0772
06-23-2007, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the update, I thought the higher the number, the better. (shows what I know) It started happening around the 5th sortie, its hard to explaine what it is, even when you take off from the carier, it looks like the picture is going in frames. It even happens when it is just me and a couple of other planes flying over the ocean. What would you suggest I do to figure this out? I just want to enjoy this game to its fullest.

buzzsaw1939
06-23-2007, 02:08 PM
Icefire....Does a darker background, like night missions, slow things down, or is it my emagination? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

corsair0772
06-23-2007, 02:15 PM
No, night missions run the same as normal missions, it still looks like frames. If I look at my plane as it flies by, it looks like it rappidly skips, but very noticable. I bought Pacific Fighters in the Ultimate Fighter Collection. Could that have something to do with it.

buzzsaw1939
06-23-2007, 02:51 PM
sorry Corsair0772.... I jumped in on your thread, as I too am just learning this stuff. however I have noticed that if I load a long mission, I have the same probs you are haveing. my card is smaller than yours, but I have 3 gig cpu, with 1 gig of ram, I have a thought that might be worth checking out! when I build my system, I put in 2 512megs of memory, and my game would do as yours is doing, then lockup, it was working with one 512 before http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif that, so I took the second one out and it worked find, (aha) I got a gig of ram for the first slot and now I'm going, ( a bad slot! ) I think if I can figure out how to turn off all the unneeded resorces that are running, I'll get longer missions. like I said I'm new to all this myself, hope some of this might help.

corsair0772
06-23-2007, 03:05 PM
Thanks buzzsaw1939, I went through hell trying to get this to work, (3 weeks of breaking stuff around my house). I can play the game, but it just doesn't feel right. I know that I have enought memory to run it, thats why I am upset. All of you guys have been a great help and I will try to turn off the stuff running in the background. If anyone has some more suggestions, please let me know. I would really appreciate it. I won't be able to get back to you today, but I will tomorrow. Hang in there buzzsaw1939, with the help that we have here, we will be able to figure it out.

FoolTrottel
06-23-2007, 03:30 PM
If anyone has some more suggestions, please let me know.
There's also a Community Help Forum (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/49310655) where technical issues are a lot more common...

Maybe go there, and post a DxDiag Report (http://www.airwarfare.com/guides/luckyboys_guide.htm#012) there... and the contents of your conf.ini file....

martian04
06-24-2007, 02:53 PM
I have a x800 and it worked fine with game, i have a gig of ram and a athlon 4200x2 cpu.
I am getting the dvd version and need to fresh instal...If i get it sweet i will try post how i did it in your thread.Be warned you will find you need to ham up on Tech help find coastie settings they worked for me last time i know i will need to do this.
Get a good ati driver for the game
Install game and patch to 4.08v
Go through settings in ati ccc panel [coasties settings]
Alter games setup modes [coastie again]
Alter joystick settings
Alter keyboard settings [my prefered layout]
Alter conf.in file [save original first though]
Disable some windows services inc firwall
Install hyperlobby and tinker with conf.in as well
Get router tuned to play online

All fun http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif i let you know

corsair0772
06-25-2007, 06:42 AM
Thanks Martian04, if you install it again, please post. One other thing is when I installed the game at the instalation menue, there were two different modes to install. I cant remember what they were, I just installed it so I could play. If you know what I am talking about, witch one should I have installed? Thanks for your help guys.

buzzsaw1939
06-25-2007, 07:09 AM
I think the guys are going to tell you that you should choose the stand alone option, I think they will also suggest you get Il-2 1946 dvd, I had two pf games before 46, and what a differance, one patch and your up and running, all the probs I was haveing are gone, there seemed to be a lot of problems with the later pf games, I guess i'm suggesting that your probs might be in the pf disk, like so many others, if you choose to get 46, I know you will love it, just about every body in here is running it. good luck! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

crucislancer
06-25-2007, 07:36 AM
I got Pacific Fighters about a month ago. I had a hell of a time gitting it to play on the computer that I had, so I went out and bought a custom gaming computer. I love flight sim games, and really want to enjoy this game to its fullest extent. I am currently flying a mission and have compleated 6 sorties. Now the game is starting to slow down, almost like it is skipping. I am getting really upset, I dont know what I need to do to get it to work properly. My system has a Athlon processor, 2.22GHz and 2 GB of RAM. My graphics card is a ATI Radeon 800X 256 MB. Like I said the game works fine untill I get deep into a mission, then it starts to slow down. If anyone can tell me what I need to make this work right, I really love this game. Please let me know.

Just out of curiosity, but have you patched the game yet?

I had PF at one point, and the game ran terrible out of the box until I patched it, then it was much better. Like to PF patches (http://patches.ubi.com/pacific_fighters/) Just installing the 3.03 patch improved frame rates.

If you are running the game "stand alone", then you need the patches that don't have the "m" in the name. The "m" is for merged install with Il-2 Forgotten Battles and the Ace Expansion Pack, which you don't have since you got this through the fighter collection (I have that, too). Use each patch in order.

Also, defragging you hard drive is important, even when the computer says it doesn't need it you should still do it.

You might want to check to make sure you video card drivers are up-to-date.

corsair0772
06-25-2007, 08:51 AM
Thanks crucislancer, I never thought of that. I will try it and hopefully it works. Thanks for the tip on 1946 buzzsaw1939. I have the IL that came with the collection that I got, but I cant get the sound right. When I installed PF I did it in a stand alone mode, just out of curiosity, what would happen if I installed the other mode. Would that make things even worse?

buzzsaw1939
06-25-2007, 09:19 AM
I think Crucislancer hit it on the head, the reason I got 46 is because of all the patching stuff, it sounded confuseing to me, 46 has all the games up to date, with new stuff in it, and every thing runs great, I was going to mention defraging and deleteing temp files and history and such, but I figured you probably new all that stuff, I also reboot once in awhile to clear my ram, with one gig, it seems to help!

crucislancer
06-25-2007, 09:44 AM
Thanks crucislancer, I never thought of that. I will try it and hopefully it works. Thanks for the tip on 1946 buzzsaw1939. I have the IL that came with the collection that I got, but I cant get the sound right. When I installed PF I did it in a stand alone mode, just out of curiosity, what would happen if I installed the other mode. Would that make things even worse?

Couldn't get the sound to work on IL-2? Weird. What kind of sound card do you have? Sound is the one thing I've never had a problem with, and I have onboard sound.

The Fighter Collection doesn't have the 2 games that you need to install Pacific Fighters as a merged install. Those two games are IL-2 Forgotten Battles and the Ace Expansion Pack for Forgotten Battles. Merged install is like patching the other two games, in a way. If you tried it without those two games It will not work.

I highly recommend picking up IL-2 Sturmovik 1946, like previously mentioned. It has Pacific Fighters, Forgotten Battles, Ace Expansion Pack, the campaigns and most of the single missions from the original IL-2, plus a more planes, campaigns and single missions, and it only needs one patch, with another one coming in the next few months judging from what I've read on this forum. It's all on one DVD, so no need to worry about merged installs or 6 different patches. I got mine for $30 at a local EB Games store, though I've seen it for cheaper online.

corsair0772
06-25-2007, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the input crucislancer, I will pick up that 1946 as soon as I can. I dont know what sound card I have, but it works fine with PF. I really don't know alot about computers, so if I get 1946, how will it play without patching it? I found the breakdown of the computer that I bougt so this is what I have.

AMD ATHLON 64 3700+.
ASUS A8N-E DELUXE MOTHERBOARD.
ATI X800XL GPU.
ARTIC COOLING FREEZER 64 PRO CPU COOLER.
2 GB BUFFALO SELECT RAM (CS 2.5)
250 GB SATA HARD DRIVE.
DVD ROM DRIVE.
DVD RW DRIVE.
FLOPPY DRIVE.
WINDOWS XP HOME.

Is all of this enough or am I missing something that I need, and do I meet all the requirments to run PF and 1946 when I get it?

buzzsaw1939
06-25-2007, 10:16 AM
You wont need to worry about PF, it's in 46. the one patch you should download is easy, go to the ubi site to find patch 4.08 and thats it!! I not sure what's in it, but my buddy did'nt install his, and it ended up crashing, you will play this game for years and not see it all, I've had mine for about a month and I'm still in quick missions, haveing a ball! no time for my other sims anymore! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

buzzsaw1939
06-25-2007, 10:23 AM
I forgot to mention, your system is a lot bigger than mine, I can't see how you would have any probs, ( but remember, I'm still learning to.) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

crucislancer
06-25-2007, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the input crucislancer, I will pick up that 1946 as soon as I can. I dont know what sound card I have, but it works fine with PF. I really don't know alot about computers, so if I get 1946, how will it play without patching it? I found the breakdown of the computer that I bougt so this is what I have.

AMD ATHLON 64 3700+.
ASUS A8N-E DELUXE MOTHERBOARD.
ATI X800XL GPU.
ARTIC COOLING FREEZER 64 PRO CPU COOLER.
2 GB BUFFALO SELECT RAM (CS 2.5)
250 GB SATA HARD DRIVE.
DVD ROM DRIVE.
DVD RW DRIVE.
FLOPPY DRIVE.
WINDOWS XP HOME.

Is all of this enough or am I missing something that I need, and do I meet all the requirments to run PF and 1946 when I get it?

Yeah, you should have no problem running IL-2 1946. My computer is a 2.8 ghz with 512mb RAM and a 5200 nvidia card. 4 years old, and it will play IL-2 1946 if I lower the resolution and turn down a couple of graphics options, like forests and water. Still looks great, though. You should be able to run it at the standard resolution with all the details turned up to max.

I played 1946 without the patch until recently, and it worked just fine. In fact, the only reason I patched it was because I wanted the new maps that came with the patch and so I can play the campaigns that folks are making with those new maps. Also, you need the new patch in order to play online. The patch is big (144 mb), but that isn't too bad if you have a fast internet connection. If you are on dial-up like me, someone was kind enough to split the patch up into smaller chunks. It took a weekend, but it was worth it.

corsair0772
06-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Thanks buzzsaw1939, I will probebly go out and buy that today. I am still not sure about this patch thing, (with my luck I will crash my computer) but I will give it a shot if you say it is that easy. If that game has all of them in there it seems like a real bargain. I was reading some other threads and I came across one that you were in about the speed of a Seafire. Were you a real pilot?

corsair0772
06-25-2007, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the advice crucislancer, I will be getting the 1946 probebly today. You brought up something that I figured I should mention. When I go to view my system, I only have 2.22 ghz. Could this be the problem? I am really thankful to all of you for helping me with this, as I know nothing about computers.

crucislancer
06-25-2007, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the advice crucislancer, I will be getting the 1946 probebly today. You brought up something that I figured I should mention. When I go to view my system, I only have 2.22 ghz. Could this be the problem? I am really thankful to all of you for helping me with this, as I know nothing about computers.

2.22 ghz? That shouldn't be a problem.

corsair0772
06-25-2007, 11:11 AM
Thats good, I didn't know if that would have caused the problem. When I download the patch, do I have to do anything after that or does it just automatically reconize? I guess what I am getting at is do I have to go in the system to activate it or put it in the right place? Yes, I know I really have know idea what I am doing. Haha. Thanks for putting up with me.

buzzsaw1939
06-25-2007, 11:29 AM
It sounds to me like your doing better than I was, when I stated this stuff a few months ago, and, yes I was, but I'm retired now. when you get it installed, just give a shout, somebody will give you the steps, I'm normaly up at this hour, (morning to me) if you just follow what it tells you, you'll do fine, when it ask's if you want to install it to a folder or run it, I just run it, if I remmeber correctly, it knows were to go. good luck! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

corsair0772
06-25-2007, 11:35 AM
Thanks buzzsaw1939. You have been a great help with this. It sounds like you and I were in the same boat as far as computers go. After everything that has been going on with this thread, I know alot more now. By the way, I want to get my pilots licence. The only thing that is holding me back is I dont know if it is hard to do. I just want to fly a Cessena or something like that. Is it hard? I will let you know once I get it installed, hopefully this is the answers to my problems, all I want to do is enjoy these games.

buzzsaw1939
06-25-2007, 11:52 AM
I agree ...I also have learned alot in here, the guys are great, if you want to learn the basics of flying, I would recommend Microsoft flight simulator 2004, while your getting IL-2 46, just don't get MS flight sim X, in my opinion, it's junk!! it's built for very high end systems. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

corsair0772
06-25-2007, 12:02 PM
Thanks buzzsaw1939. I might just have to pick that one up. These guys are great in here, anyone that can put up with knowledge about computers is great. I will let you know how the 1946 goes, I just hope I dont screw up my computer installing it. (I have a tendency to screw the simplest things up). Another stupid question, I wont have a problem running Microsoft flight simulator 2004? Thanks for all your help.

buzzsaw1939
06-25-2007, 12:19 PM
You shouldn't have a prob with 2004, it's been around for awhile, you'll have to do some reading , but it's not bad, they have a training section with a fight instructor, not real, http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif but close enough.

corsair0772
06-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Thanks, I will pick that up. Wish me luck with 1946.

Crash_Moses
06-25-2007, 12:33 PM
It's not hard to get a pilot's license...just expensive.

I took lessons at the local Mom and Pop airport when I was fourteen. Flew a little Cessna 172. It was great but the lessons were $40 each and I believe it took about 40 hours to get a basic license.

Paid for my lessons by mowing lawns in the Summer. Only took about three lessons before I ran out of lawns, Summer, and money.

I'd call your regional airport to find out the details. You should even find some listings for flight instruction in the Yellow Pages.

S!

corsair0772
06-25-2007, 12:49 PM
Thanks Crash_Moses. Did you end up getting your licence? Mowing all those lawns, it must be totally worth it. There is a little airport that is right next to my work, I will go over and asked them. I just never have the time to.

corsair0772
06-25-2007, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by buzzsaw1939:
You shouldn't have a prob with 2004, it's been around for awhile, you'll have to do some reading , but it's not bad, they have a training section with a fight instructor, not real, http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif but close enough.

I just went to the ubi website, there are to version. (144mb) and a dedicated server 127.5mb.
Witch one do I download?

FoolTrottel
06-25-2007, 01:03 PM
The 144Mb one...

corsair0772
06-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Thanks FoolTrottel. Thats what I thought, but I just wanted to make sure.

Crash_Moses
06-25-2007, 05:45 PM
Thanks Crash_Moses. Did you end up getting your licence? Mowing all those lawns, it must be totally worth it. There is a little airport that is right next to my work, I will go over and asked them. I just never have the time to.

Nope...ran out of time and cash...$40 was a lot of lawns at the time!

When I was stationed on Okinawa I had the opportunity to take very cheap lessons at Kadena Airbase. It was hosted by MWR and all the students had to pay for were books for the ground school and fuel for the aircraft.

Unfortunately it was a three month program and I didn't find out about it until just before my EAS.

Still tempted occasionaly but then I remind myself...I can't shoot anything down!

corsair0772
06-26-2007, 06:37 AM
Thats to bad. Even if you cant shoot anything down it would still be fun. Why dont you give it another shot, what do you have to loose...besides money. I am going to go do it, but I just need to find the time.

corsair0772
06-26-2007, 07:06 AM
I just wanted to let you guy that have helped me know that I went out and bought 1946. The game is awsome, buzzsaw1939 was right, you can play this game long, long time. I know I will love this one. Any advice on some good missions to fly?

buzzsaw1939
06-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Morning....I just played around with single missions for a while, now I'm building quick missions and sending them to my buddy, next thing is to load some of the missions that these guys have built, my prob is long missions, needs more tuneing plus its too much like what I did for a liveing http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sleepzzz.gif don't forget the patch!!

corsair0772
06-26-2007, 08:59 AM
I plan on getting the patch done as soon as possible. You were right though, this game is great with all the aircraft you can fly. I goined a thread in General Discussion called How to fight zero's???. There are some good tactics in there, you should put some input in. But 1946 is amazing, thanks for telling me about it.

buzzsaw1939
06-26-2007, 09:14 AM
your welcome!.. glad it wasn't your system. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

corsair0772
06-26-2007, 09:15 AM
Morning....I just played around with single missions for a while, now I'm building quick missions and sending them to my buddy, next thing is to load some of the missions that these guys have built, my prob is long missions, needs more tuneing plus its too much like what I did for a liveing http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sleepzzz.gif don't forget the patch!!

I really dont mind the long missions, it kind of gives you the feel of what it was really like. What kind of plane did you fly for a living?

corsair0772
06-26-2007, 09:19 AM
your welcome!.. glad it wasn't your system. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

It still skips a little bit, but even with all the graphics turned all the way up it is still better. Once I turn the graphics down and get the patch, I am sure that it will be fine. Is the second CD just a DVD?

buzzsaw1939
06-26-2007, 09:23 AM
they are both DVD's.. the second one is not needed, I don't even know whats in it! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

corsair0772
06-26-2007, 09:38 AM
I tryied putting it in, and it just opened the Media Player so I took it out.

buzzsaw1939
06-26-2007, 09:50 AM
I'm still a little puzzled about your system jittering at all, it should be smooth *** silk, I have found that if I defrag before and after an install, before I even go into the game, I get better performance. don't be shy about comp questions, these guys are very understanding. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

crucislancer
06-26-2007, 09:50 AM
I tryied putting it in, and it just opened the Media Player so I took it out.

The second DVD has videos of some stunt work in IL-2, previews of the Storms of War: Battle of Britain game, and a few other goodies. You should have some DVD software on your system that can access the DVD menu. Also, you can access some of the other stuff with Explorer. Lot's of pics of the devolopment team, the new game, things like that. It's cool, but not nessesary.

Glad to hear you picked up 1946. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

corsair0772
06-26-2007, 10:06 AM
It sounds like it is a pretty cool DVD. Yeah, I am glad that I picked it up. When you say defrag, do you mean clearing out the history or things of that nature?...(there are those comp questions again). Thanks for your help guys. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

crucislancer
06-26-2007, 10:19 AM
It sounds like it is a pretty cool DVD. Yeah, I am glad that I picked it up. When you say defrag, do you mean clearing out the history or things of that nature?...(there are those comp questions again). Thanks for your help guys. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Defrag is on the start menu (start/programs/accesories/hard drive defragment) I try to defrag every couple of days or so whether is says I need it or not. IL-2 tends to get a bit fragmented after a while, if you use the analize feature in defrag, you will see that some of the files that get fragmented are from the IL-2 folder. Just click defrag and walk away from it. It may take a few minutes to go through the hard drive and reorder the data.

I think the history you are refering to is your internet browser history. Doesn't really affect IL-2, but it's always good to clean it out. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

buzzsaw1939
06-26-2007, 10:25 AM
Go to your start menu.. then, all programs..accessories...system tools...defrag, I think your going to have to wait awhile for it to finish, as you havent done it before, when it's done, do it a couple more times, till it dose it fast, now try your game, theres other stuff, but thats a start. don't bother with the patch untill you've cleaned it all up. hang in there! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

buzzsaw1939
06-26-2007, 10:28 AM
See, I told you about these guys... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

corsair0772
06-26-2007, 10:41 AM
You guys are great, I think if I hang out here for a while, Bill Gates will get a run for his money http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif I will try all of this and hopefully it will work. Like I said, it runs ok or its not that bad that I am getting upset. Once I turn the graphics down, I think it will run a little smoother. Oh yeah, then I need to patch it. You guys really know your stuff! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

buzzsaw1939
06-26-2007, 10:48 AM
You shouldn't have to turn your grafics down, with your machine, that would be my last resort!! the grafics in this game is what makes it great. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

corsair0772
06-26-2007, 11:26 AM
Maybe I don't. I hope that defragging it will solve the problem. You are right though, the graphics are the best part of the game and if I can avoid turning them down, it would be great.

Crash_Moses
06-27-2007, 06:31 PM
It still skips a little bit, but even with all the graphics turned all the way up it is still better. Once I turn the graphics down and get the patch, I am sure that it will be fine.

I had the same problem and ran across some solutions that really seemed to help.

First and foremost defrag your hardrive (as mentioned). A good utility for this is Ultimate Defrag. http://www.disktrix.com/

Among other things it will move any selected directories (such as your 1946 folder) to the outside of the disk for faster access. I noticed a big improvement.

Also, if you have an AMD processor change the name of the file il2_corep4.dll to backup_il2_corep4.dll

Rumor has it that this works for Intel processors also, but I have no firsthand (or even secondhand) knowledge of that. Sure helped me though.

corsair0772
06-28-2007, 11:07 AM
Hello everybody, I did like you guys said and defraged my system. I did it four times before it went really fast. I helped a little bit. It still gets kind of choppy, so I don't know what else I have to do.

Crash_Moses
06-28-2007, 11:21 AM
Hmmm...maybe try posting your problem over in the community help forum. Those folks are usually pretty quick with some indepth solutions. Be sure to post your DXDIAG text along with it.

corsair0772
06-28-2007, 11:36 AM
I have one going in there already, it is called "running problems". No one has replied to me yet and I have had it there since Sunday. Any thoughts on if I should repost it?

buzzsaw1939
06-28-2007, 12:10 PM
Hi Corsair... I feeling your frustration, all I can help with at this point would be guessing and experimenting, do you have any other games in your system, and have the same prob, some one will probably say it doesn't matter, but maybe uninstalling PF, (sharing a bad file or something) like you, I got into computers just for the flight sims, and I can still remmember how nobody could understand that I new (nothing) about them, no matter how hard they tried, they were still talking over my head, so just hang in there, I don't know your situation, but I found help by asking people if they were gamers, theres lots of them out there, there might be some that lives near you, and would be willing to check your system out, just a thought. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

corsair0772
06-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Thanks buzzsaw1939, that is really the only reason that I got into computers as well. It is funny that you mention to talk to people about it. One of my co workers is into the IL series as well and I talk to him everyday about it. He has suggested all the things that all you guys have, and he used to build computers! Alot of my friends are into them as well, and my girlfriend went to college to major in IT and graduated with a degree and she can't figure it out eihter. None of my friends can figure this out, but I am still having a blast playing these games thought. Maybe I should take the whole system to Geek Squad and see if they can figure it out, but that would meen that I cant play for a while! You are right though, my friends don't know how bad I am with computers, I don't even have the internet hooked up at my house yet! (you can tell I do alot at work) Now that I have reasons to hook up the internet, I will be doing that asap. Have you used Geek Squad?, and if so are they good?

buzzsaw1939
06-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Only once.. and he gave me false info about a game, but I wouldn't pass judgment on that, It happens! I don't know if your getting high speed internet, but I couldn't live without it now! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

corsair0772
06-28-2007, 12:55 PM
I might have to give them a shot. I do plan on getting a high speed connection, the only reason why I don't have it yet is my girlfriend and I are always bussy, going places and working all the time. Any time we need the internet, we just do it at or jobs. Now that I can play online, and I have cut my hours down at work, I play these games alot. Plus, I really like this forum, and there is alot of good stuff on it. Do you guys play online?, if so, how is it?

buzzsaw1939
06-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Not yet.. I have to work out a few control probs first, (hotas cugar) can't seem to hold a beed on anything, stiff spings, and trim sucks! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif besides there might be a few in here that are gunning for me! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

corsair0772
06-28-2007, 01:20 PM
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I don't have any other games on my computer other than these.

corsair0772
06-28-2007, 01:23 PM
I would think that people would want to be on your side, I know I would after all the help that you gave me. Did you calibrate your joystick when you installed it? Does the plane you are flying seem to lift a little and dive a little even when you stick is strait?

buzzsaw1939
06-28-2007, 01:37 PM
No... Thats another essue, every time your airspeed changes, your elevator trim changes, the trim is to slow, and if I try to hold a beed, I'm fighting the stick pressure, some where in here theres a dicussion on trim, and why it was made that way, because of online cheating or something, I have no idea what that means, I just know it's not realistic, and I have to adjust to it.

corsair0772
06-28-2007, 01:50 PM
If I have my power set at 50%, the plane will stay level, If my airspeed increases, or I change my power to anything above 60% and let go of the stick, the plane will climb a couple of hundred feet, and then, still without touching the stick, it will dive for a couple of hundred feet and repeat the process. When you say "stay on a beed", what do you meen?

buzzsaw1939
06-28-2007, 01:53 PM
What your seeing with airspeed is normal, is has to do with airodynamics, you don't want to get into that right now, staying on beed is my term for the gun sight. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

corsair0772
06-28-2007, 01:58 PM
I thought that was normal, but I wasn't sure. What does your plane do when you cant hold on to a beed?

buzzsaw1939
06-28-2007, 02:14 PM
It bobs up and down, very frustrating! but it's not the sim, it's me! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Crash_Moses
06-28-2007, 02:32 PM
Funny you should mention staying on bead...the plane bobs up and down while you're trying to get a bead on the badguy, right?

The solution I mentioned earlier is supposed to solve that problem. It did for me. Move or rename the il2_corep4.dll in your 1946 folder. It supposedly only works with AMD CPUs but I've heard rumors that it works with Intel chips as well. It should help the bobbing quite a bit and help you stay on bead.

As for trim issue...your joystick settings can affect this as well. I'm using a config I got from another gent who set it up specifically for a Thrustmaster TQS and F-22 so I don't think it will help you out. But I can move my trim in very fine increments. It's still not as responsive as I'd like (for the reasons you mentioned above) but it's a lot better than twirling the dial constantly.

I think if you do a forum search in the General Discussion you may find what you're looking for.

In fact, most of the Pacific enthusiasts spend most of their time over there now. When BoB comes along the PF forum will probably be merged with the GD forum so this place isn't as active as it used to be. You may just want to move your base of operations over to GD. You'll get more help over there (more smart alecs too but...)

corsair0772
06-28-2007, 02:48 PM
Are you sure that it is you?

buzzsaw1939
06-28-2007, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the tip Moses... The reason I think it's me, is, it's only is a prob in turns or changeing attitude (airspeed) some planes are worse than others! I cleaned my comp and lost Foxy, before I could figure it out, my buddy has an old sloppy stick, and he's a killer! so much for expensive controls. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif again, thanks for the tips

Crash_Moses
06-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the tip Moses... The reason I think it's me, is, it's only is a prob in turns or changeing attitude (airspeed) some planes are worse than others! I cleaned my comp and lost Foxy, before I could figure it out, my buddy has an old sloppy stick, and he's a killer! so much for expensive controls. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif again, thanks for the tips

Yup...that describes the symptoms perfectly. I'd give it a whirl and see what happens.

corsair0772
06-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks Moses, but I am horrible with computers. When you say to rename, or move, how do I do that? If you could explaine that in lamens terms, I will have a better idea. (I am so dumb when it comes to this stuff http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif) Thanks for putting up with me guys!

corsair0772
06-28-2007, 03:06 PM
Now I know what you are talking about buzzsaw, I thought that your beed was constantly bobbing. I have the same problem in turns or changing altitude. I thought that that was natural, shows what I know.

Crash_Moses
06-28-2007, 08:36 PM
Thanks Moses, but I am horrible with computers. When you say to rename, or move, how do I do that? If you could explaine that in lamens terms, I will have a better idea. (I am so dumb when it comes to this stuff http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif) Thanks for putting up with me guys!

lol...no worries...we've all been there. I'll do my best to put it in layman's terms. I'm also going to assume you're using Windows XP...correct me if I'm wrong.

This is the easiest way:

Click the START button at the bottom of your screen.

Next click SEARCH (next to a little magnifying glass).

A search window will pop up with either an animated dog or wizard.

Above that is a text balloon that starts with "What do you want to search for" at the top.

Click on "All files and folders"

Another text balloon will pop up. Where it says "All or part of the file name:" enter in il2_corep4.dll

Below that is a field that says "Look in:". It should say "Local Hard Drives (Chttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif". If it doesn't, or if you've installed 1946 on another drive, click the little arrow and select the correct drive. Alternatively you could select "My Computer" and it would search all your drives.

Now click SEARCH at the bottom of the text balloon.

Depending on the size of your hard drive and how full it is the search could take a few minutes. Once it has found the file it will display it in the window on the right.

Highlight the file (which, of course, should be il2_corep4.dll) and press F2. The name of the file will become highlighted and you can now change the name. I suggest naming it "backup_il2_corep4.dll" That way, if it turns out that you need it, you can change it back to the original name.

Hit enter. Tada! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

corsair0772
06-29-2007, 06:38 AM
Thanks Moses, you did a great job explaining it in my terms, I will try that. How does this make things faster? Thanks for your help, you guys are really great. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Crash_Moses
06-29-2007, 06:52 AM
It just takes a lot of the "bobbing" out when you're trying to get a bead on the bad guy. I noticed a difference right away.

buzzsaw1939
06-29-2007, 07:30 AM
That explanation helped me to Moses, when you said change the file name, I wasn't sure what too, got my self in trouble once mucking with files! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

corsair0772
06-29-2007, 08:44 AM
Yeah, I know that if I tried something like that without the info that you gave me in laymens terms, I would have crashed my computer. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

corsair0772
06-29-2007, 08:46 AM
I just noticed this icon, and this is how I felt when I couldn't get it to work Haha. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

corsair0772
06-29-2007, 09:56 AM
Hey guys, sorry to change the subject but I captured some video of a couple missions that I flew. I have two of them were I purposely let the enemy get behind me and I try to shake them. If I can get it loaded, would you guys like to see it?

Crash_Moses
06-29-2007, 11:25 AM
I'm on dial-up... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

buzzsaw1939
06-29-2007, 11:51 AM
Corsair... if your talking about swaping NTRK files through e-mail, are you sure you know how to do that, and are you on highspeed now, dial up would take forever, if so, PM me to swap e-mail addys and I'll tell you how to do it, actually it would be a good learning tool for you, comp and flying! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

buzzsaw1939
06-29-2007, 12:22 PM
Added note.... are you sure you have good virus protection?? it just accured to me ,(new computer) (new operator) and the problem your haveing! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

corsair0772
06-29-2007, 12:52 PM
I am pretty sure that all of my stuff is up to date. I actually recorded these with my digital camara,(I don't know how to take a ntrk and put it on my desktop). They are not long, about 2-3 minutes each. I don't know how to do a PM, can you tell me? Or I can just post them here.

buzzsaw1939
06-29-2007, 01:28 PM
sorry about that... although I've never done one , I thought it was easy, I was going to send you one, but I can't figure it out, it says I'm not part a topic, maybe some one will come to our rescue! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

buzzsaw1939
06-29-2007, 01:41 PM
I don't think you can post a movie without converting it with a special program in here, something I read, I have been swaping track files through e-mail with a friend of mine, he installs them in the game so he can look at them with all the f-key angles, he loves it, he's learning how to fly by watching them! if we can figure out how to get our e-mails, I can tell you how to do that. I'm going to see if I can figure it out. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

corsair0772
06-29-2007, 01:44 PM
I think I did, if you havent figured it out yet, let me know. I have one posted to you right now, let me know if you got it.

buzzsaw1939
06-29-2007, 01:52 PM
I went to my e-mail to get your address, I guess you have to put it in, I bet the guys are chuckling at us newbs! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

corsair0772
06-29-2007, 02:27 PM
They probebly are, but they know we are still learning it.

corsair0772
06-29-2007, 02:31 PM
Well, I got a email, but no email address. Anyone know how we do it? Is the PM open to everybody or can only the host and invited quests view it?

buzzsaw1939
06-29-2007, 02:33 PM
so send me another, with your address, and I'll e-mail you, I think the movies are the best part of this sim!

buzzsaw1939
06-29-2007, 02:36 PM
Only invited guest, so your e-mail is safe!

corsair0772
06-29-2007, 03:12 PM
Crash_Moses, even if I send them to you by email, you still cant view them?

Crash_Moses
06-29-2007, 05:59 PM
We're not lauging at you...we're laughing with you. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Depends on how big the files are. I live waaaaay out in the country. I'm lucky if I connect at 33kbd. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

Sounds like you two have the PM thing figured out but if you aren't aware of the easy way here it is:

Click on the person's name you'd like to send a PM to. A drop down menu will appear. Then just click "invite (insert name here) to a private topic."

S!

buzzsaw1939
06-30-2007, 11:44 AM
Corsair.... You have mail!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

corsair0772
06-30-2007, 12:46 PM
I checked my email, and now you have email. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Crash_Moses, I dont know how big the files are, but they are only 2 - 3 minutes each.

corsair0772
06-30-2007, 12:54 PM
Crash_Moses, I just looked at the size of them. I have three, two of them are the same, just shot differently. There sizes are as follows:
113,020KB
99,950KB
63,079KB

I have no idea what KB means, Are they to big for you to watch?

Crash_Moses
06-30-2007, 02:44 PM
lol...yup.

A kilobyte is 1024 bytes and a megabyte is 1024 kilobytes so...your three files are roughly 113Mb, 100Mb, and 63Mb respectively.

At 3.3kb/sec even the smallest would take approximately five hours and 20 minutes to download.

Also, my ISP has a 25Mb limit on e-mail attachements. Your best bet would be to host them somewhere and then folks could download at will. I'd check out www.photobucket.com (http://www.photobucket.com). I think you could post them there for download. It's free but I don't know what their size limit is for video files.

corsair0772
06-30-2007, 02:55 PM
Sorry about that http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif, I don't want you to feel left out. I will look into that tomorrow.

Crash_Moses
06-30-2007, 09:13 PM
lol...don't worry about it. You could always record an .ntrk of your flights and e-mail those.

At the start of the mission (or anytime while flying) hit ESC. On the menu is the option "Start Recording". Click on that and then enter a name for the recording and hit reply. It will start recording and then put you back in the game. You can also do a quick record. You can bind keys for it in the controls section.

After the mission you can e-mail the track to whomever you like. It's in the 'records' directory of the 1946 folder. Anyone with 1946 will be able to view the track.

I like to make tracks of my missions so that I can:

A) See my mistakes.

B) Have proof if something really cool (or wierd) happens. Or just to brag. I don't do much of that though.

buzzsaw1939
06-30-2007, 10:09 PM
Moses... do you ever have a really great fight, and realize you forgot to record it? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif too many hot keys I guess!

Crash_Moses
06-30-2007, 10:48 PM
lol...YES!

Had one the other day in the White Sun Blue Sky campaign (Flying Tigers). Dished out some major hurtin' to a couple of Georges on a bomber escort mission. Limped home and made a beautiful landing sans rudder.

Another one was the 'Castaways' campaign (I highly recommend it). In the last mission you have to escape from Japanese forces in a B-25. You're given the option to ditch at sea or make a carrier landing. I opted to make for the carrier. Made it the first time. Stopped two feet shy of the end of the carrier. And...of course...I have absolutely no proof. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

buzzsaw1939
06-30-2007, 10:57 PM
lol... thats what I'm talking about! Glad I'm not the only one! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

corsair0772
07-01-2007, 12:00 PM
Thank god there are at least two others that have done that, haha, I thought I was the only that did that. In one of the movies that I recorded, the move that I do to shake the Bf 109 did not work and he hit me and tore up my rudder. I continued to fight and after a 5 minute battle, I had a really good kill. Told people about it at work and no one believes me. I hate when I do that.

corsair0772
07-03-2007, 12:47 PM
Anyone ever fly a sortie that took a long time, and then crashed on the landing? I did that last night and now I have to fly the whole mission over again.

Crash_Moses
07-03-2007, 12:51 PM
We were talking about that a while back in GD. It'd be nice to have a quicksave button or be able to save at each waypoint or something.

There's nothing worse than hauling your PBJ (or worse...the SBD) 400 miles and then getting shot down as soon as the poop starts to fly.

I love the SBD but...dang it's slow!

corsair0772
07-03-2007, 01:36 PM
I would love for it to save at each waypoint. I was escorting Avangers to there target while I was in my Corsair. Myself and my squadron stayed with the Avengers the whole time, even on the way back to the carrier. When I was on the final approach, I got a little to low and by the time I throttled up, it was to late. BAAM, right into the back of the carrier. The whole sortie took about one hour and ten minutes, now I have to do it again.

buzzsaw1939
07-03-2007, 01:37 PM
Cosair... Got your email, nice pics.
as for the f4u carrier landings, theres a raise seat key that you can use( may have to assign it) but I'm a reality junky, I like to use a circle approach that the British developed dureing the war, make your approach so that you can keep the deck in sight till the last second, then roll your wings level and plop it down! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

corsair0772
07-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Thanks buzzsaw, http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I usually try to do that, but sometimes after a long mission, you just want to land and be done with it. I guess I need a little more patients when doing that. Last night, I didn't do the circle approach, I did about a "half circle" approach and now I am paying for it. When I go to controls, what is the term that they use for the "raise seat"?, I looked for it and I cant find it.

buzzsaw1939
07-03-2007, 01:54 PM
It's called toggle seat position, you will have to assign a key!

corsair0772
07-03-2007, 01:59 PM
Thanks buzzsaw, I was looking at another thread and I came across darts-page.com, they have a section in there about landing a Corsair and raising the seat, I think it will make a big difference. Kudos to the guy who made that site.

Crash_Moses
07-03-2007, 02:09 PM
Cosair... Got your email, nice pics.
as for the f4u carrier landings, theres a raise seat key that you can use( may have to assign it) but I'm a reality junky, I like to use a circle approach that the British developed dureing the war, make your approach so that you can keep the deck in sight till the last second, then roll your wings level and plop it down! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Yup, that's how I do it. Do it in the SBD too. Took some practice but it's easy to slip in there after you've done it a few times. Now if I can just get the Val on the deck consistently. She has a short hook and just wants to float...

As for long missions...I think sometimes they add to the immersion. I mean think about it...you've been flying for an hour or two (nothing compared to the 8-12 hour missions IRL) and you're just trying to make it back to the carrier. You start to be reeeeeeeal cautious towards the end. You see a little speck off in the distance...oh ****...friend or foe. You start to get nervous...do I dive for the deck or just hope it's a friendly?

Nothing makes landing on a carrier more fun that sweaty palms and a pounding heart.

buzzsaw1939
07-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Right on!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

corsair0772
07-03-2007, 02:31 PM
So true about the sweaty palms and the pounding heart, until you crash land. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif I will either land perfectly, or have to do it a couple of times before I get it, but the joystick is all wet from my palms after I am done. When you guys say circle approach, you mean comming in from behind the carrier, then circleing around the bow so you are heading away from it. Then turning into it on final approach and touching down. All a series of lefthand turns right?

corsair0772
07-03-2007, 02:37 PM
One other question that I forgot to ask, I usually fly with the speed bar on. Is there any way to change that to mph and feet? Right now I have kmh and meters.

buzzsaw1939
07-03-2007, 02:47 PM
Just come at the stearn at a 45 degeree angle, then start your turn on short, short finale, keeping the deck in sight! you'll have to assign a key to toggle the speed bar also! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

corsair0772
07-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Thanks buzzsaw, I basically make a full circle around the carrier. That video that I watched was great, it really tells you how to do it. Your way is just about the same.

Crash_Moses
07-03-2007, 05:48 PM
So true about the sweaty palms and the pounding heart, until you crash land. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif I will either land perfectly, or have to do it a couple of times before I get it, but the joystick is all wet from my palms after I am done. When you guys say circle approach, you mean comming in from behind the carrier, then circleing around the bow so you are heading away from it. Then turning into it on final approach and touching down. All a series of lefthand turns right?

Yup. Left hand turns. When I first started out I'd start pretty far behind the carrier but I've found after awhile I can drop her down pretty good...well the SBD anyway. God I love that plane...

My favorite ride is the SBD-3. I use the right hand pippet on the telescopic sight to line up with the carrier. I find if I do that then I can keep the nose up, tail down, and still keep an eye on the carrier.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y125/Crash_Moses/sbd-3landingpippet.jpg

The speed bar toggle is in the control section under MISC. You can toggle between metric, nautical, imperial measurements and off. I usually have it set for whatever plane I happen to be in.

Speaking of which...my project while I'm on vacation is this:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/2511087684

I'm hoping to get rid of that speed bar forever!

buzzsaw1939
07-03-2007, 06:02 PM
Wow...Are you going to stack your monitors for reality? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Crash_Moses
07-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Yup...but I haven't quite figured out how to do it yet. I think I'll just try to get it working first and then I'll worry about adding it to my "cockpit".

MaxMhz
07-03-2007, 07:28 PM
corsair; some things that might help:

-sound-
Do a start>run>type 'dxdiag' click ok
click the sound tab at the top, and move the hardware acceleration lider to the left to get 'standard' or 'basic' acceleration.

-slowdowns-

Try using one static pagefile of 3GByte on a drive other than where the game and OS are located. After setting that and rebooting, defrag the drive, then run the game again.
Any questions, just post.
Just read the whole thread again - lol it's getting big! to defrag a drive, just double click 'my computer', rightclick the drive, select properties, click the 'Tools' tab at the top then click the 'Defragment Now...' button - drink a cup of coffee it will probably take some time. This will re-order and speed up access to any data on the drive. It's a good thing to do once in a while.

Crash_Moses, check out UltraMon (http://realtimesoft.com/ultramon/) - that would be agreat supplement to UDPSpeed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Crash_Moses
07-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Oh yeah...that would be awesome. I seriously checked out the three monitor Matrox solution posted awhile back in GD. Now THAT would be a cockpit...

corsair0772
07-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by MaxMhz:
corsair; some things that might help:

-sound-
Do a start>run>type 'dxdiag' click ok
click the sound tab at the top, and move the hardware acceleration lider to the left to get 'standard' or 'basic' acceleration.

-slowdowns-

Try using one static pagefile of 3GByte on a drive other than where the game and OS are located. After setting that and rebooting, defrag the drive, then run the game again.
Any questions, just post.
Just read the whole thread again - lol it's getting big! to defrag a drive, just double click 'my computer', rightclick the drive, select properties, click the 'Tools' tab at the top then click the 'Defragment Now...' button - drink a cup of coffee it will probably take some time. This will re-order and speed up access to any data on the drive. It's a good thing to do once in a while.

Crash_Moses, check out UltraMon (http://realtimesoft.com/ultramon/) - that would be agreat supplement to UDPSpeed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Thanks MaxMhz, I will try to do that, hopefully I do not screw anything up. As I am sure that ou know, I am not very good with computers. I already have defraged my computer, but maybe you are talking about doing it a different way. This is what I did, start> all programs> accessories> system tools> disc defragment>. Are you talking about doing the same thing just differently, or something completely different?

Crash_Moses
07-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Yup...that's what he meant. It does help. I've had better success with third-party defrag programs though.

corsair0772
07-06-2007, 08:19 AM
Moses, I thought you were going on vacation? Could not stay away from these forums huh? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Crash_Moses
07-07-2007, 11:03 AM
I am on vacation!

Spent the 4th cleaning out a clogged drain. Flooded the basement with sewage. Called the septic guys on the 5th...cleaned the basement on the 6th.

Today I'm helping my brother hook up a second phone line (and hopefully picking up a PC from my folks so I can set up UDPSpeed) and next week is the county fair where I get to stand around and watch my kids show their goats and chickens for the 4H competition.

We have some big projects at work so the boss got me a cellular modem for the laptop (for emergencies of course) so I imagine while I'm out at the fair (bored out of my gourd) I'll be posting too...hehe.

S!

corsair0772
07-09-2007, 06:30 AM
Sounds like a good time at the fair http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. Do your kids enjoy it though, because if they do, its worth it. Good luck with cellular modem, I am sure that you will only use it for "emergency" purposes only. I hope that you got everything worked out with your basement, that happened to a couple of people I know and it was a pain for them, so I can imagine what it is like for you.

Crash_Moses
07-09-2007, 07:31 AM
Yup...the kids love it. Well...let me append that...my daughter is a little nervous as her goat won grand champion last year...I mean, how do you top that? The boy is seven...he'll be having fun until he's hot, tired, and bored at which point he'll make everybody else miserable. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

For my part...I'm bringing my copy of The Dauntless Dive Bombers of World War Two by Barrett Tillman. So...I'll be curled up in the shade somewhere...hopefully where nobody can find me.

corsair0772
07-09-2007, 10:52 AM
You are really into those SBDs. I have done a couple of single missions with those, but I find that the plane wont stay strait. It seems to roll right no matter what you do, the only way I can get it to fly strait is to fight the stick. I have a game for PS2 that is called "Heros of the Pacific". My favorite mission in that game is set in the Coral Sea were you have to take a squad of SBD and sink the carrier Shoho. In that mission you have 5 SBDs including youself, 5 torpedo bombers, and a ton of Wildcats that escorting you. That is by far the best mission in that game. I was really looking forward to using the SBD, but like I said, it rolls to the right. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

corsair0772
07-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Congrats to your daughter for grand Champion http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I would think that she would be excited to go back and do it again. Hopefully your boy gets alot of sleep the night before so you can watch your movie in peace. As long as there having fun, thats all that matters. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Rebel_Yell_21
07-09-2007, 12:58 PM
I was really looking forward to using the SBD, but like I said, it rolls to the right. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Sounds like you need some trim. The SBD is a docile lady, and you shouldn't have to fight her.

corsair0772
07-09-2007, 01:41 PM
I did not think that it was normal. When you say trim, I know what you mean, but how do I fix the problem so I don't have to fight it?

Crash_Moses
07-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Oh boy...welcome to the world of trim. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Trim is your best friend. Trim is your copilot. Trim won the war.

Trim lets you 'tweak' your control surfaces so you don't have to fight the stick. WWII pilots didn't have electric or pnuematic devices connected between the controls and the control surfaces. When they made the plane roll or climb it was all with muscle power and the faster they flew the more muscle it took. Trim was the answer. And even with trim long missions or battle took their toll. Many pilots told of being barely able to crawl out of the cockpit after landing they were so exhausted.

You can find the trim settings in the controls section. You'll probably have to assign keys...can't remember if they're defaulted...but it's easy enough to do. I recommend using the arrow keys. I have a HOTAS setup but when I'm flying the B-25 I use the arrow keys. Assign left rudder trim to the left arrow key and right rudder trim to the right arrow key. Then assign up elevator trim to the up arrow and down elevator trim to the down arrow. I set my aileron trim for SHIFT right arrow and SHIFT left arrow. I use CTRL + arrows keys for the neutral settings. It's always wise to neutral your trim before takeoff. Pilots did it in real life and I've noticed it's necessary in order to follow my B-25 bombing guide. So get in the habit!

There are three trim settings for each control surface...positive and negative (or left and right) and neutral. You have rudder, elevator, and aileron. The ones most used are rudder and elevator. Aileron you usually won't have to touch but I like to use it in conjunction with rudder trim as it helps alleviate the torque from the engine. It's especially useful for slow planes with powerful engines...such as the SBD. Gotta have a big engine to carry those big bombs and those big engines generate a lot of torque.

If you're familiar with a plane you can set your rudder trim before takeoff to help keep it straight. I like to use five clicks of right rudder trim before takeoff with the SBD. Trim also helps you stay in formation. With the right trim settings you just need a light touch on the joystick to keep straight and level...with practice.

To adjust your trim (I'll use rudder as an example) get to cruise altitude and speed. You'll probably notice the ball in the center of the turn coordinator is off a bit, usually to the right. Press the right rudder trim key once and it should move closer to the center. Press it again and it'll move even closer. Keep pressing the key (don't hold it down) until the little ball is in the center and you don't have to keep any pressure on the stick to keep it there.

You can do the same thing with elevator trim. If you want to fly straight and level press your elevator trim key (up or down...whichever you need) until your climb indicator is at zero.

Now...you won't be able to take your hands off the stick completely but it'll make flying a lot easier. I can usually set mine so the plane flys straight and level long enough for me take a sip of my soda (but not long enough for a potty break http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif) and still maintain formation.

Also, you probably won't be using trim in combat...too much going on...but a lot of pilots like to trim their planes a little nose down before joining the fray. It helps keep your plane from bobbing all over during a deflection shot. Also, their are historical accounts of pilots using trim while in combat. Bud Anderson (I believe) claimed to use trim constantly while in combat.

Another important item is that not all planes use trim on all control surfaces. Most of the allied aircraft do but some early war planes don't. The zero doesn't have any trim and some planes (German mostly I think) are trimmed on the ground for a certain speed and altitude. Soooo....if you hop in a plane and the trim won't work it's probably because it's not available.

So...remember...the next time you see your trim, give it a hug...it works hard!

corsair0772
07-12-2007, 11:49 AM
Thanks Moses. I tried the SBD that night and did as you said, and the plane flew strait. Now I just have to practice dive bombing runs and landing that baby. I just did the single missions, carier take off, and carrier landing. I can take off no problem, but putting her down on the carrier, or on land, I have a hard time. I tried what you said in this thread about landing and I couldn't get it right. At least I know how to fly her strait though. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Crash_Moses
07-12-2007, 12:13 PM
Roger that! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

That's the key...practice, practice, practice! It'll be second nature in no time at all...carrier landings rock!

corsair0772
07-12-2007, 12:48 PM
How do you do your dive bombing runs, I pretty sure that I know how to, but hearing it from the SBD king would be great and anything that I can pick up would be awsome http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. Also, how do you know where the bomb will land? I have done a couple of runs, and I keep the crosshares on the target, release and then pull out of the dive, but the bombs never land on the target. They usually end up on the either side of the target about fifty feet away. I will be honest, I am much better at escorting and defending the SBD than I am flying it. So I want to learn how to do this effectivly so I can start a mission with these beauties.

Crash_Moses
07-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Oho! One of my favorite subjects. I'll give you the quick and dirty method but dive bombing is more art than science...everyone does it a little different. For an example just do a search on this forum for "dive bombing". There are some great techniques out there.

I'm a full real kind of guy so I'll give you the historical method which is also the method I use in game for the most part.

1. Here's the exception --- Historically SBDs would head to target at 18,000 feet. Once the enemy was spotted they would descend to 15,000 feet to make their bomb run. In game, 10,000 feet is fine for practice or on-line play. So...climb to 10,000 feet.

2. As you approach the ship fly a slight S curve to help avoid flak. In a real SBD you could use the little window in the bottom of the plane or lean over and look over the side to keep tabs on the ship. In this game you'll have to try and keep the ship in view...either by keeping it in view to the left or right of your plane or by tipping your wings to determine when you're directly above it. I like to tip my wings...but watch your alititude.

3. Once you're in position over the ship or just a little past it, deploy your dive brakes and cut your throttle. Roll the plane over on its back and pull the stick back to begin your dive. The SBD dove at around a 70 degree angle so anywhere between 70 and 90 degrees is fine.

4. Now that you're headed for the ship use the telescopic sight (if you're in the SBD-3...my personal favorite) or zoom in with the SBD-5. Right off the bat you want to use your rudder to center yourself on the ship. If the ship is moving aim for the bow. Hold that rudder steady! If you make any rudder adjustments late in the dive you will miss completely. Your plane will have a tendency to spin around it's dive path...it'll take practice to get it to settle. I created a mission where I started just before my dive...makes it easy to refly and try again.

5. Release your bomb or bombs between 1500 and 2000 feet. As soon as you do, retract your dive brakes, throttle up and pull back on the stick. If you can do all three at once, great (a HOTAS setup works great for this). You should be pretty low when you pull out. Fly a zig zag path away from the ship and head for home!

corsair0772
07-12-2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks Moses, it sounds like you really enjoy that plane. When you say use the "telescopic sight", how do you do that? Is there a key that I have assign to it? Same deal with the "dive brakes", do I have to assign a key? Sorry, as you know I have only been playing for a couple of months now, and I usually use the Corsair, or Hellcat and never had you use dive brakes. Thanks for you help with this.

Crash_Moses
07-12-2007, 03:47 PM
Yup...SBD, Val, Betty, and PBJ are my favorites...although I'm currently in the middle of the White Sun Blue Sky campaign by BBB462cid and developing some affection for the P-40... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The control for the gunsight is Toggle Gunsight under the Views menu. Default is SHIFT F1 I believe.

The dive brake control is called Airbrake and it's under Aircraft Controls. Not sure what the default is if any. I have mine set to D.

corsair0772
07-12-2007, 04:29 PM
Thanks Moses, I have been using the airbrake already. I will try the Shift F1 for the gunsight, I am sure that it will work. So you are growing fond of the P-40, nice plane, but it doesn't handle that well in dogfights. You really need to stay behind the enemy and make sure that you hit him before he gets behind you and gets you. How many sorties have you flown with the P-40?

Crash_Moses
07-12-2007, 06:50 PM
I'm on mission 48 although technically I've only just started using the P-40. The first half of the campaign is flown with the Hawk.

Like with all planes learning it's strengths and weakness's is key. I'm seriously considering doing the campaign twice to see how I fair a second time. Plus it's a great campaign...I highly recommend it.

corsair0772
07-13-2007, 06:40 AM
Are you talking about the White Sun Blue Sky campaign? If so, where do I find it?

Crash_Moses
07-13-2007, 06:48 AM
Here's a discussion thread on it in GD.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/8021068545/p/1

And here's the download at Mission4today.

http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=2166

S!

corsair0772
07-14-2007, 06:29 AM
Did anyone watch the show Dogfights lastnight on the History Channel? They talked about the Kamakazi pilots, and also the ELBE Squadran the the Germans had at the end of the war. These guys were not suicide bombers, but they would ram there BF 109s into American Bombers and hope to survive the attack. I had no idea that the Germans did that. They were not very sucessful at it though. Out of 160 planes, only 23 collisions were recorded and the airforce didn't really domcument it. Great show, I have watched it for about a year now.

Crash_Moses
07-14-2007, 08:11 AM
We moved out to the country a couple of years ago and I lost my cable and broadband. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Only time I get to watch the History Channel is when I travel for work...

Thanks for rubbing it in... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

buzzsaw1939
07-14-2007, 11:03 AM
Dish..???? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

buzzsaw1939
07-14-2007, 11:12 AM
BTW..The graphics are outstanding in that show now! the rolling waves are about as real as you can get, the pilot movess around in the cockpit, even the gunners on the ships move thier heads around. The future of sims?? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Crash_Moses
07-14-2007, 11:20 AM
Nah...wife and I both voted for no satellite. If I'm going to pay that much money I want a broadband connection I can fly on-line with. Can't do that with satellite...

Besides, if I'm not flying then I'm reading...or posting...lol.

Besides, I finally got UDPSpeed up and running. Now I'm working on some SBD gauges...

buzzsaw1939
07-14-2007, 11:50 AM
Interesting!... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif I didn't know you couldn't get broadband with satellite. I almost made the switch! D*** salesmen! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

corsair0772
07-14-2007, 11:59 AM
Hey guys, I am sorry to hear that Moses. Buzzsaw, you are right about the garphics, if you watched it last night, whitch I think you did, when the german was comming to ram the bomber, he was saying that the rear gunner held up his hands in fright and it actually showed it! I hope that someday the graphics on these sims are just like that. I thought that was a great episode last night and I learned alot. I mean, I didn't know the germans went to that extreme.

buzzsaw1939
07-14-2007, 12:58 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif neather did the rest of the world, like they said, the military refused to recognize it, they wrote it off as inexperienced pilots, (which there were near the end)!

corsair0772
07-14-2007, 01:25 PM
The one thing that I don't understand is that why would a country go to that extreme. I just didn't think that Germany would do something like that. Even the Japanese, I just don't understand it. This makes me think of something. My uncle was onboard a carrier (I can't remember the the name of it, but I will find out) when a Kamakazi slammed right into the stern of it. He managed to get out of the way at the time, but the impact through him pretty far down the deck. He was able to get some pictures of the ordeal about 5 - 10 minutes after it happened. He passed about 7 years ago, but he gave my father some copies of the pictures. We went through his things after he died to see if we could find the originals, but no one in the family knows what happened to them. Would some of you guys like to see the pic?

Crash_Moses
07-14-2007, 10:44 PM
Heck, yes! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

There was a thread in GD not too long ago where folks posted personal pics of the war. Stuff they'd gotten from relatives or discovered in curio shops. I'm sure there are tons of undocumented photos out there. Any chance to see them is welcome.

You can get broadband with satellite. An old friend of mine installs it for Dish Network. He keeps trying to get me on board but unfortunately the lag is too high for playing games on the Internet. The bandwidth is high but it can take 500 milliseconds or more to send a packet of data and get a response. Even dial-up is faster than that.

I've been playing with a cellular modem the boss let me borrow while on vacation. It looks promising but it'll be awhile before I can talk the wife into spending the money.

In the meantime, if y'all will just record the shows for me and send a DVD a couple times a month I'll be all right. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

corsair0772
07-15-2007, 10:35 AM
Moses, as you know I don't know alot about computers, but I am learning quick http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif This is probebly a stupid question, but can you access youtube.com?

MaxMhz
07-15-2007, 10:52 AM
Interesting!... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif I didn't know you couldn't get broadband with satellite. I almost made the switch! D*** salesmen! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif
You can get highspeed with satellite; that's not the problem.
The problem with satellite is that it has HUGE delay times (ping) making online play next to impossible. This is not a problem with one-way traffic like uploading or downloading files, but is a BIG problem with two-way time-dependent traffic like gaming. Firing a gun and seeing the bullit hit the target seconds later is just not realistic. IL-2 would be going nuts with warnings about 'cheating detected', and a lot of servers would auto-kick you...

Crash_Moses
07-15-2007, 11:53 AM
Moses, as you know I don't know alot about computers, but I am learning quick http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif This is probebly a stupid question, but can you access youtube.com?

I can on my work laptop.

I can access it with my dial-up connection too but I also have the opportunity to run a few errands, take a nap, and fly a few missions while the video is loading.

buzzsaw1939
07-15-2007, 01:34 PM
Got that! Max..It's still reason enough for me not to get it. Thanks! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

corsair0772
07-15-2007, 01:49 PM
Moses, you can buy the show "Dogfights" on DVD, go to www.historychannel.com (http://www.historychannel.com). Click on "Shop" < "Military and War DVDs", and scroll down to see it for sale. I think that collection includes the first and second season and it is only $49. Believe me it is totally worth it, as I am sure that some of the guys in here will tell you.

Crash_Moses
07-15-2007, 10:02 PM
Oh, I know...I've seen several episodes. I travel a lot for work and I'm a bit of a barracks rat. I order pizza, put on my birthday suit, crank up the History Channel (not necessarily in that order) and do work stuff during commercials. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif

I love listening to the first hand pilot accounts. I can't stand the repetitive CGI (although it is way cool) and constant recap...I know they gotta make money but it could easily be a half hour show.

corsair0772
07-16-2007, 08:02 AM
I agree with you completely that it could be a half hour show, but it is still great to pick up stuff that you might not know. I need to get to my folks house to get that picture of the Kamakazi attack so I can post it. I just haven't had any time. I will get it up as soon as I can.

corsair0772
07-18-2007, 01:50 PM
I got the name of the carrier that my uncle was on. It was the USS Belleau Wood. I told my father to look for the picture so I can get it here, so I am going to my folks house tonight to help him look for it. Hopefully I will have it up tomorrow or the next day.

Crash_Moses
07-18-2007, 09:29 PM
Belleau Wood...lotta history in that name. I look forward to seeing your picture. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

S!

corsair0772
07-19-2007, 11:38 AM
I really don't know the history of the carrier, all I know is that the Kamakazi attack was in the battle for the Phillipines. How funny is it that my parents abopted my brother from the Phillipines. It is amazing how time flys by, it seems like yesterday we were picking him up, and now he is in collage studing music. My uncle who was on the carrier, was the first one to hold him when we got back with him and he was in tears. I think now I understand why. To change the subject, I am having a hard time with this whole prop pitch thing. According to the Corsair flight instructions manual, for max cruise, depending upon altitude, the RPMs should be around 2150. For the Hellcat, they should be around 2300. I only do this when I am on my way to a target, once there, I will set the prop pitch to 100, and use the throttle accordingly. When I fly either plane on the way to objective, I will set the prop pitch to 80, and my throttle to about 50% for cruising. The plane will fly at about 210-220mph. If I max the throttle to 110%, it may gain 10mph. I guess what I am getting at is I really don't understand it completely. Can someone explaine this to me, what it does, how it is effective, and how it works. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Crash_Moses
07-19-2007, 04:01 PM
Well, to be honest it sounds like you're doing all right.

If you want to get into the nuts and bolts I suggest you check out the guides at www.mission4today.com (http://www.mission4today.com) ...particularly the one on complex engine management (CEM).

Every plane is different and it's really hard to equate prop pitch with anything familiar in real life but if you think of it like a car's transmission you'll be all right. (Of course, it is not really like a car's transmission and there are about a dozen members of the forum who will argue ad nauseum about how it's really, really, really not like a car's transmission the comparison will suffice for our purposes).

Basically when set your prop pitch what you are doing is setting a precentage of your max RPM at a particular throttle setting. I usually set it on a one for one basis with the throttle., i.e. 80% throttle and 80% prop. pitch. This is not a hard and fast rule as what you are really trying to regulate here is engine heat and fuel usage. So when you're cruising along on your waypoints set your throttle and prop pitch lower to keep heat down and save fuel. When you get into combat...bump everything back up to 100% for max acceleration and power.

Hmmm...I wonder if Sillius or Buzzsaw have any insight. They're real pilots. Any tips, guys?

One thing I've noticed while playing the Blue Sky White Sun campaign was that I had to set my throttle and prop pitch pretty dang low to stay in formation (great campaign for learning how to fly in formation BTW). Something like 60% prop pitch and 43% throttle...had to constantly adjust throttle to stay in formation which I hear is pretty true to real life.

Crash_Moses
07-19-2007, 04:10 PM
And now for some history...

The Battle of Belleau Wood

Part of the 1918 German Spring Offensive, the Battle of Belleau Wood was won by American forces after twenty-six days of combat. Fought predominantly by US Marines, the battle stopped the German offensive and began a counterattack in the area. Fighting in the forest was particularly fierce, with the Marines clearing the wood six times before it was finally secured.

When was the Battle of Belleau Wood?:
The Battle of Belleau Wood was fought between June 1 and June 26, 1918, and was part of the German Aisne offensive. The main German attack was repulsed on June 4 and US forces began offensive operations on June 6.

German Spring Offensive:
In early 1918, the German government, freed from fighting a two-front war by the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk, chose to launch a massive offensive on the Western Front. This decision was largely motivated by a desire to end the war before the full strength of the United States could be brought into the conflict. Beginning on March 21, the Germans attacked the British Third and Fifth Armies. After some initial gains the advance stalled. An assault to the north met a similar fate in April. To aid these offensives a third attack was planned for late May in Aisne between Soissons and Rheims.

Aisne Offensive:
Beginning on May 27, German storm troopers broke through the French lines in Aisne. Striking in an area that lacked substantial defenses and reserves, the Germans forced the French Sixth Army into a full retreat. Moving quickly, the Germans advanced to the Marne River and were intent on pressing on to Paris. At the Marne, they were blocked by American troops at Chateau-Thierry and Belleau Wood. The Germans attempted to take Chateau-Thierry but were stopped by US Army troops on June 2.

2nd Division Arrives:
On June 1, the US 2nd Division, including the 4th Marine Brigade took up positions south of Belleau Wood near Lucy-le-Bocage. As the Marines dug in, a French officer suggested that they withdrawal. To this Captain Lloyd Williams of the 5th Marines famously replied, "Retreat? Hell, we just got here." Two days later elements of the German 347th Division from Army Group Crown Prince occupied the forest. With their attack at Chateau-Thierry stalling, the Germans launched a major assault on June 4. Supported by machine guns and artillery, the Marines were able to hold, effectively ending the German offensive in Aisne.

Marines Move Forward:
The following day, the commander of the French XXI Corps ordered Brigadier General James Harbord's 4th Marine Brigade to retake Belleau Wood. On the morning of June 6, the Marines advanced, capturing Hill 142 to the west of the wood. Twelve hours later, they frontally assaulted the forest itself. To do so, the Marines had to cross a wheat field under heavy German machine gun fire. With his men pinned down, Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly called "Come on ya sons-of-*****es, ya want to live forever?" and got them on the move again. When night fell, only a small section of forest had been captured.

In addition to Hill 142 and the assault on the woods, the Marines attacked into Bouresches to the east. After taking most of the village, the Marines were forced to dig in against German counterattacks. All reinforcements trying to reach Bouresches had to cross a large open area and were subjected to heavy German fire. When night fell, the Marines had suffered 1,087 casualties making it the bloodiest day in the Corps' history to date.

Clearing the Forest:
On June 11, following a heavy artillery bombardment, the Marines pressed hard into Belleau Wood, capturing the southern two-thirds. Two days later, the Germans assaulted Bouresches after a massive gas attack and almost retook the village. With the Marines stretched thin, the US 23rd Infantry extended its line and took over the defense of Bouresches. On the 16th, citing exhaustion, Harbord requested that some of the Marines be relieved. His request was granted and three battalions of the US 7th Infantry moved into the forest. After five days of fruitless fighting, the Marines retook their position in the line.

On June 23, the Marines launched a major attack into the forest, but were unable to gain ground. Suffering staggering losses, they required over two hundred ambulances to carry the wounded. Two days later, Belleau Wood was subjected to a fourteen hour bombardment by French artillery. Attacking in the wake of the artillery, US forces were finally able to completely clear the forest. On June 26, after defeating some early morning German counterattacks, Major Maurice Shearer was finally able to send the signal, "Woods now entirely -US Marine Corps."

Aftermath:
In the fighting around Belleau Wood, American forces suffered 1,811 killed and 7,966 wounded and missing. German casualties are unknown though 1,600 were captured. The Battle of Belleau Wood and the Battle of Chateau Thierry showed the United States' allies that it was fully committed fighting the war and was willing to do whatever was required to achieve victory. In recognition of their tenacious fighting and victory, the French awarded citations to those units that participated in the battle and renamed Belleau Wood "Bois de la Brigade Marine."

Belleau Wood also showed the Marine Corps flare for publicity. While the fighting was still going on, the Marines routinely circumvented the American Expeditionary Force's publicity offices to have their story told, while those of Army units engaged were ignored. Following the Battle of Belleau Wood, Marines began being referred to as "Devil Dogs." While many believed that this term was coined by the Germans, its actual origins are unclear. It is known that the Germans highly respected the Marines fighting ability and classified them as elite "storm troopers."

Note on USS Belleau Wood (CVL-24 and LHA-3)

The US Navy commissioned the first Belleau Wood in 1943. She was an Independence class light carrier displacing 11,000 tons, and won 18 battle stars in two years of combat in the Pacific. During the Battle of the Philippine Sea in 1944 her aircraft sank the Japanese carrier Hiyo.

Decommissioned in 1947, she was transferred to France in 1953, and renamed the Bois Belleau, served till 1960. She was scrapped on returning to the US Navy.

In 1978 the US Navy commissioned the second ship to bear the name, LHA 3, an amphibious assault ship. The second Belleau Wood has a full-load displacement of 40,000 tons.

corsair0772
07-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Wow, you really did some research on this. Thank for the info on the battle. I have done some research on the carrier today. It is raining here and there is nothing going on at work. I guess that it was a pretty popular carrier in the Pacific, especially that it's aircraft sank the Japanese carrier Hiyo. I am proud of my uncle, I never really took into consideration what he was involved in until I got into these WW2 games about 6 months ago. My grand father was on the destroyer DD-491 Ferinholt. I was pretty close to him, and I did a report in high school about his past. Some of the things that he went through were unimaginable. He had to rescue some of his friends when the ship was hit by a Japanese shell and almost sunk. I have alot of his things, including a diary that he kept while in the service, and tons of photos. Thanks for getting that info about the battle of Belleau Wood. Any of your relatives in WW2?

buzzsaw1939
07-19-2007, 08:12 PM
Thanks a lot Crash http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif Trying to explain prop pitch is even harder than a compass, there's two kinds, controllable pitch, and constant speed, being like a transmission is ok, constant speed is like an automatic trans, I'm not sure how many fighters had it, when you set your rpm, it stays there, when climbing or diveing, the pitch changes, but not the rpm! thats the best I can do in lymans terms. personaly, I leave complex eng. off, it's too confuseing to use keys after all these years, I have noticed a few things that aren't right in the modeling, the cowl flaps work in the wrong direction, cowls should be open when takeing off and climbing, and closed when power down diveing, to prevent thermal shock, since his experience is more recent than mine, I'm passing the buck to Sillius! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Crash_Moses
07-20-2007, 01:22 AM
Thanks a lot Crash http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif Trying to explain prop pitch is even harder than a compass, there's two kinds, controllable pitch, and constant speed, being like a transmission is ok, constant speed is like an automatic trans, I'm not sure how many fighters had it, when you set your rpm, it stays there, when climbing or diveing, the pitch changes, but not the rpm! thats the best I can do in lymans terms. personaly, I leave complex eng. off, it's too confuseing to use keys after all these years, I have noticed a few things that aren't right in the modeling, the cowl flaps work in the wrong direction, cowls should be open when takeing off and climbing, and closed when power down diveing, to prevent thermal shock, since his experience is more recent than mine, I'm passing the buck to Sillius! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Hehe...anytime. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I mapped the CEM controls to my TQS. The radio knob controls prop pitch and the top switch controls my mixture and supercharger.

What do you mean when you say the cowl flaps (radiator to the uninitiated) work in the wrong direction? Do some of the aircraft in the game have an automatic adjustment for the radiator? I've always used them just like you said, except taking off from a carrier as they tend to add drag.

buzzsaw1939
07-20-2007, 07:37 AM
I'm assuming that it has to do with turning off complex engine management, I don't pay any attention to it anymore, I noticed it when I first started in the game, (single missions on the carriers) when powering up for take off, the cowl flaps would close and when you power down, they would open! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

buzzsaw1939
07-20-2007, 07:54 AM
Now that I'm on my first cup of coffee let me add a little more. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I've never flown anything with radiators, but I believe they would funtion a lot like a car engine, (thermostat) but with an added cowl for extream temps, not sure! when I'm setting behind a big radial, it made me cringe! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Crash_Moses
07-20-2007, 08:51 AM
I'm assuming that it has to do with turning off complex engine management, I don't pay any attention to it anymore, I noticed it when I first started in the game, (single missions on the carriers) when powering up for take off, the cowl flaps would close and when you power down, they would open! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Roger that! Confusion gone...well...most of it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif That happening with CEM off makes sense.

Well...when I say radiator I mean cowl flaps and vice versa. I'm not exactly sure how it's modeled in-game but for game play purposes they're the same...I think.

buzzsaw1939
07-20-2007, 02:59 PM
Hey Corsair.... did you ever find our new thread? BTW, you don't need to apologize for e-mailing me, your a very nice polite guy, and I don't mind helping you out! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Xiolablu3
07-20-2007, 06:08 PM
I have a RAdeon X800, they are very good cards for this game.

buzzsaw1939
07-20-2007, 11:49 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif.... I guess we did drift a little OT in the last 9 pages! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif sorry Corsair.

corsair0772
07-21-2007, 06:45 AM
Good morning guys. No need to be sorry buzzsaw, you guys can talk about anything that want. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I think it just makes it easier to to follow up instead of having to read all the other threads and then reply. I did find that other thread that you guys were sharing memorys on, you guys haven't been active in it in a little while. I think that I am getting this prop pitch down, now I just have to figure out the superchargers. Any tips guys? Keep talking about whatever you guys want, I always like good conversations! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Crash_Moses
07-21-2007, 09:20 AM
Roger that...it's not like we're bothering anybody...

HELLOOOO....HELLoooo...Helloooo...helloooo

See? Listen to that echo...this place is empty. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Now...let's talk about superchargers. In one of the readme files they mention the altitudes at which you need to switch turbochargers. You can find the info in a couple aircraft guides over at Mission4today as well.

I know for the SBD (of course) you're supposed to switch at around 8,500 ft. Historically it was around 10,500 ft. but hey...I'm not gonna complain. In the PBJ it's around 8,800 ft.

What you can do is keep an eye on your manifold pressure and RPMs. If they start to drop then its time to switch your supercharger. If I'm in an unfamilar aircraft and I'm getting close to 8,000 - 9,000 ft. I'll switch the supercharger and watch the RPMs. If they go up (and you can usually hear the engine sound change too) then I'm good.

corsair0772
07-21-2007, 10:21 AM
10 4 Moses, we are definetly not bothering anybody, infact, if people knew how cool we were, they would jump in too. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif Alright, about this supercharger thing, I know what your talking about when you say that the engine sound will change at different altitudes, but what should I set the supercharger to? Some planes have many different settings. I guess what I am getting at is, where should it be when I take off, and does a higher setting give you more power, and lower, a little less power?

buzzsaw1939
07-21-2007, 12:05 PM
Hmmmm...... sip..sip..Hmmm..(coffee) Ok,... Heres the answer! I need a bigger screen and Trk-IR, so I can start looking at my ******* gages. morning guys! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

corsair0772
07-21-2007, 01:25 PM
Wow, good morning buzzsaw. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif Good to hear from you. I am on my 4th cup of coffee at work, its 3:30 and I am still tired! Thank god I am not the only one. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

buzzsaw1939
07-21-2007, 02:03 PM
I got up late this morning. My poor wife is listening to me beller about this dream I had. I dreamed that I was chaseing zeros in my Hellcat, 17 inch monitor, no icons, I here my flight screaming they need help, I can't find them, so I look at my map, and head in their direction, I'm straing my eyes to find them, I see some dots ahead of me, I hear some one call out " get him off me" I pick the one chaseing and give him a burst to make him drop his chase, some one says, "thats one of ours" I try to get an angle on the one in front, after about 10 minutes of looping rolling and diveing, I get an angle on him, and its my wing man trying to keep up with me and.......Wait a minute!... this isn't a dream, it's my first mission of the day! now back to my first post. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif anyone got a 50 inch monitor they want to sell?

corsair0772
07-21-2007, 03:31 PM
WOW, that would have been a pretty bad dream. I have done that a couple of times, I don't use the icons when I play. So you can imagine that I have shot a couple of friendlies. I can't stand some of that chatter, you can't tell who is who. The one that I like the best is when I am in the middle of a dog fight, relying on my wingman to back me up, I hear "This is one, requesting permission to land". I look over to see if he is still backing me up. He is still there, I loose sight of my target, he ends up getting shot down, I end up getting mortally wounded, or dead. Then as I am either falling or trying to escape, I hear it again. AHHHHHHHHHH http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I think that I will go fly some mission now that I am off work. Tuff day at work.

Crash_Moses
07-21-2007, 10:59 PM
Ya know what I hate? It's when I'm the leader and I'm cruising along with my flight looking for bad guys and I turn around and the !@#$% idiots are 3km away getting their butts kicked by Joe Evil.

Helloooo...how about a little heads up you rocks! Court martials are way undermodeled in this game...

Anyway, on to the superchargers. Most of them are stage 1 and stage 2 supercharges. Some planes have a third stage...not sure which ones. Many planes don't have any. When you start out at ground level you're at stage 1. When you climb above the indicated height then you switch to stage 2. If you go below again you switch back to stage 1. That's about it.

If you're talking about fuel mixture that's easy too. I usually don't touch it. 80 or 100 is good for most altitudes. If I'm going really, really, really, really high then I might bump it to 60. Some pilots like to use 120 for takeoffs for a little extra power but it's really not necessary. I know IRL 120 was used to help cool the engine. I guess it helped evaporate the heat away...not sure exactly.

Complex engine management in IL-2 really isn't very complex and has, I think, minimal effect on game play. I think Oleg put it there to appease the hard core flight simmers. Or maybe that's as complex as he could make it with the current game engine...I dunno.

I hope it's modeled better in BoB. CEM was very important IRL during WWII.

buzzsaw1939
07-22-2007, 10:41 AM
I guess I better turn cem on Crash, sounds like I'm missing out, trouble is I'll have to zoom to read the gages, and Have my head down! no way to be in a fur ball! I'm useing a poor mans trk-IR, (roller mouse) theres no way I would go on line with this limited system, I would make a fool of myself, people whould say "who's that over there flying around in circles," oh, thats just buzzsaw, looking for his flight again. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

corsair0772
07-22-2007, 11:29 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif That was pretty funny buzzsaw. "There he is overthere looking for his flight". That is good that you have a sence of humer about it, sometimes I get pretty upset when things like that happen. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I use a Saitek that has a little nob on the top of it and that is what I use to look around with. It's not the greatest way to do it, but you have control the whole time so it works pretty good. Moses, is the BoB that you guys keep referring to the "Battle of Brittan"? I have seen it in other threads and I was just wondering. I think that I got the supercharger thing down, I was playing last night and just did alot of flying around and messed with different things. Heres a question, say I am in the middle of mission, (USN, Iwo Jima). How many sorties are in just one of those missions? There must be alot. On the bright side, I am at my folks house and my father was able to find just one of the pictures of the Belleau Wood. I am going to take a picture with my camara because he does not want me to loose it, or damage it. It is not one of the originals, it has been put to color and is alittle bit biggger. You can still see some of the people running away, I think that there was more Kamakazis inbound. I will try to get this up as soon as possible.

Crash_Moses
07-22-2007, 09:38 PM
TIR makes a huge difference...especially in immersion. I used to use padlock to keep track of the bad guys...they're just too hard to see sometimes. TIR made all the difference. Took me about two weeks to get used to it but I love it.

There's a program out there that turns your hat switch into a TIR emulator. It doesn't track your head but it mirrors the responsivness and smoothness of TIR. It's called Newview. You can find a link to it in Bearcat's essentials list.

To be honest I've never finished one of the dynamic campaigns. There are so many good user made campaigns out there...I wanna try 'em all. The stock static campaigns that come with '46 are really good too. Some campaigns only have five missions and some have over 100. I purchased Wings over Waves and Wings over Jungle awhile back. They have hundreds of missions...not sure when I'll finish those. At the moment I'm still working my way through Zeuscat's missions and White Sun Blue Sky...as soon as I get UDPSpeed up and running anyway.

I've finished most of the gauges...still have fuel and the artificial horizon left to do and then the indicator lights. If you have a spare PC lying around you should try it out. You'll never have to worry about reading the gauges again. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Can't wait to see your picture...you need a laptop and scanner...then you could just scan it.

Here's a screenie of the gauges. Still rough around the edges but coming along nicely. Took me forever to figure out the !@#$%! compass...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y125/Crash_Moses/SBDUDP.jpg

corsair0772
07-23-2007, 09:35 AM
Moses, when you say TIR, what do you meen? If I try to padlock the enemy planes, it gives me a view outside the plane. Is there any way that I can padlock them from inside the cockpit?

buzzsaw1939
07-23-2007, 09:43 AM
Man!.. Thats a nice set up, whats that gage in the lower left? 24 hr clock? I have a couple small monitors, but I don't know where I would put it. I'm at a frustrateing point where I'm going to have to decide weather to spend time in here, or get back to working on my planes, before I'm to old to fly them, my wife just informed me, I just turned 68. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif I don't know where I ever found time to work before!http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa103/buzzsaw1939/d3c.jpg

corsair0772
07-23-2007, 10:23 AM
I do agree with buzzsaw, that is a nice set up. you have a good one to buzzsaw, I like how you have a spot on your desk that the joystick can sit in. I don't have that, so I either put it on the desk, or on a stool that is right infront of my chair.

corsair0772
07-23-2007, 10:30 AM
Here is a question, how do I post a picture? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

buzzsaw1939
07-23-2007, 10:39 AM
I USE www.Photobucket.com, (http://www.Photobucket.com,) log in and follow the instructions, your sharper than I am, you shoundn't have a problem. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Crash_Moses
07-23-2007, 11:41 AM
Moses, when you say TIR, what do you meen? If I try to padlock the enemy planes, it gives me a view outside the plane. Is there any way that I can padlock them from inside the cockpit?

TIR is Track IR. It's a little gadget that sits on your monitor (or somewhere in front of you) and tracks your head movement via reflective tape (usually on a hat or, in my case, attached to my headset). When you turn your head to the left your view in the game turns left. You can look up, down, back...everywhere. BoB (Battle of Britain) will support TIR with 6DOF (six degrees of freedom) which will allow you to lean forward, lean back, lean out the window, etc. Find out more at www.naturalpoint.com (http://www.naturalpoint.com) .

Yes, you can padlock inside the cockpit. You're probably hitting the key for External Padlock Enemy Air which is F6(default).

Trying using F4 which should just be Padlock Enemy. You can cycle through the target by hitting U (next) or Y (previous). These are the defaults so check your controls to make sure they're the same.

Man!.. Thats a nice set up, whats that gage in the lower left? 24 hr clock? I have a couple small monitors, but I don't know where I would put it. I'm at a frustrateing point where I'm going to have to decide weather to spend time in here, or get back to working on my planes, before I'm to old to fly them, my wife just informed me, I just turned 68. I don't know where I ever found time to work before!

Yup, military time. In game, of course. It'll look a lot nicer when I'm finished.

I've got the same problem...I have no idea where I'm going to stick the extra PC and monitor. What I'd like to do is mount it below my main monitor but that's going to require either cutting a hole in my desk and making a bracket for it...or...building a stand for both monitors. I'd still have to cut a hole in my desk...lol.

My TQS and F-22 are mounted to my chair which is actually the passenger seat out of a 1992 Cavalier. Very comfy. Here's a very bad picture...
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y125/Crash_Moses/MyRig2.jpg

68! Holy wah, that's my Dad's age. I've tried to get him flying but it's a no go. He just putters around the house and his workshop.

I don't know...if I had the opportunity...whether I would spend my retirement working on a real airplane or flying the virtual skies. Tough choice. I grew up with a neighbor down the street who was a pilot in WWII. He had an old scout plane in his garage that he intended to fix up and fly but he never got around to it. I offered to buy it from him a couple times but he always said he'd get around to fixing it up eventually. I think they sold it for scrap after he died. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

As it is now, I'll probably spend my retirement building a full scale virtual cockpit in my garage or something... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

buzzsaw1939
07-23-2007, 12:18 PM
D**n.. that seat looks comfy! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

corsair0772
07-23-2007, 01:13 PM
Moses, I like how you have the speakers mounted to the back of the "passanger seat of a Cavalier". That does look pretty comfy!. I hope you don't fall asleep while you are on a long mission. Buzzsaw, you are only as old as you feel. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif If you can build a plane, do it. I know I would if I had the skills to do so. Don't stop playing the game, and defently don't stop talking on these forums, I would be lost without you and Crash Moses. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

corsair0772
07-23-2007, 01:55 PM
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z124/myke0772/th_12e02a3e.jpg (http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z124/myke0772/?action=view&current=12e02a3e.flv) Sorry guys, just trying something.

corsair0772
07-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Wow, it actually worked. This is the little movie that I was talking about. Let me know if you can view it. Thanks for the advice buzzsaw, I got into photobucket, created my account, uploaded one ot the videos and here it is. If you can watch it, let me know what you think. I purposely let a Zero get behind me and I tried to shake him.

buzzsaw1939
07-23-2007, 02:06 PM
You got it buddy!!... not bad shootin eather. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

corsair0772
07-23-2007, 02:11 PM
So it actually worked. I guess you learn something new everyday!. If you want, I can upload the other one where I am in a Spitfire and shake a BF 109. I will upload the picture of my uncles carrier and get it up today.

corsair0772
07-23-2007, 02:21 PM
I got that tactic from the show Dogfights. Jefferson DeBlanc, who flew a Wildcat did something like this, so I tried it and it worked!

Crash_Moses
07-23-2007, 02:52 PM
Nice shootin', Tex!

I should get around to registering FRAPS...gotta couple good ideas for a movie.

Yes, the chair is very comfy...gotta fight the kids over it.

"All right you turnips! Daddy's turn!"

corsair0772
07-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Moses, were you able to watch it?

corsair0772
07-23-2007, 05:44 PM
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z124/myke0772/th_e553ee08.jpg (http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z124/myke0772/?action=view&current=e553ee08.flv)

In this one, I let a BF 109 get behind my Spitfire and I do something similar to what I did in the previous one. I tried to make both of them look like movies, you guys be the judge. If you listen carefully, you can hear me pressing keys to change views. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif For some reason, I am having a hard time uploading the picture of my uncles carrier. I promise that I will get it up soon.

buzzsaw1939
07-23-2007, 06:46 PM
Now thats not to shabby for a guy that not a month ago didn't know anything about computers or flying! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Crash_Moses
07-24-2007, 08:19 AM

Yup! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I have a loaner cellular modem for my laptop. Quite fast. I'll be despondent when I have to give it back.

If I ever get back on-line you can fly cover for me and 'ol Bessy.

buzzsaw1939
07-24-2007, 12:36 PM
corsair... I'm thinking your haveing trouble with your pic, if it's not a jpg, If you want, e-mail it to me and I'll convert it,( photo shop ) and send it back to you, http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

corsair0772
07-24-2007, 02:47 PM
I am glad that you guys think its good. The Spitfire one was the first one that I did. When I did it, I didn't think that it would work. He went flying past me, and it took me a second to relize what happened. Now I do it all the time when I have someone on my six, and 90% of the time, they either overshoot, or break off their attack. Buzzsaw, if I get a chance to email it today, I will. I am very busy at work surprizingly. I am happy Moses that you could see it and thanks for the possitive feedback from both of you. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

corsair0772
07-24-2007, 05:05 PM
Moses, I sent you a PM. I hope you get it. Let me know.

corsair0772
07-24-2007, 05:55 PM
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z124/myke0772/100_0268.jpg

I got it figured out, here it is. Sorry about the quality, I don't have a scanner to load it to. Anyway, I think there was another explosion, if you look to the far left you will notice it. It must be because the people are still running away well after the Kamakazi hit. Thank god I figured it out.

buzzsaw1939
07-24-2007, 06:05 PM
I converted it to a jpg for you, but I see you got it to work anyway! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Crash_Moses
07-24-2007, 10:47 PM
Moses, I sent you a PM. I hope you get it. Let me know.

Yup, I got it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

My parents just got a new computer and I had a heckuva time moving their Kodak Easyshare photos from the old computer. Easy share my butt! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

That's a dramatic pic. Really makes the history come alive doesn't it?

buzzsaw1939
07-24-2007, 11:18 PM
That looks like oil in the water, someone better make a suggestion to Oleg! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Crash_Moses
07-25-2007, 06:27 AM
lol...actually, I think you can put oil on the water. In Zues-cat's Straight Down campaign one of the missions is to find a downed pilot. You have to find him by looking for the oil slick.

buzzsaw1939
07-25-2007, 12:05 PM
I guess I'm going to have to get off my butt and start down loading some missions, and see what it's all about! I'm one of those yokels that likes to get it right before moveing to the next step, but some times you find your self all alone in the corn field! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sleepzzz.gif

corsair0772
07-25-2007, 12:09 PM
Your right buzzsaw, I haven't seen any oil slicks in the game. Moses, is that the only one you have seen?

corsair0772
07-25-2007, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Crash_Moses:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by corsair0772:

Yup! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I have a loaner cellular modem for my laptop. Quite fast. I'll be despondent when I have to give it back.

If I ever get back on-line you can fly cover for me and 'ol Bessy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would love to cover you an 'ol Bessy. I think that we should arange something where you, myself, buzzsaw and anyone who wants to join should hookup and fly a couple of missions.

corsair0772
07-25-2007, 01:06 PM
I figured that since you guys have put pictures of your

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z124/myke0772/100_0270.jpg set up, I would put mine. So here it is.

Crash_Moses
07-25-2007, 01:53 PM
Now that looks like a comfy chair...

I guess I'm going to have to get off my butt and start down loading some missions, and see what it's all about! I'm one of those yokels that likes to get it right before moveing to the next step, but some times you find your self all alone in the corn field!

Missions are awesome. That's where the immersion really kicks in. It helps, sometimes, to use what I call the Snoopy method.

Step 1. Put on goofy barnstomer headset and goggles.

Step 2. Describe the action to yourself...outloud. "Here's the WWII flying ace once again cruising the endless Pacific..."

You're right buzzsaw, I haven't seen any oil slicks in the game. Moses, is that the only one you have seen?

Nope...and I figured out how they do it. At first I thought it was just another object but I couldn't find it in the object list. Then I thought maybe they parked a plane on the water and when it sank the oil slick popped up. That wasn't it either. Soooooo, I hopped on over to the mission builder's forum and searched for oil slick. Bingo.

What they do is place 55 gallon drums on the water and then destroy them. Tada...instant oil slick.

I would love to cover you an 'ol Bessy. I think that we should arange something where you, myself, buzzsaw and anyone who wants to join should hookup and fly a couple of missions.

I used to know just the place. Pacific Conflict on Hyperlobby. Great place to fly and a great bunch of fellers...some of 'em are almost as old as buzzsaw... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

That was the only server I had even a modicum of success flying with dial-up. Haven't seen it around in awhile (yes, I still hop onto Hyperlobby occasionally...just to see what's going on).

I want my broadband back! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

buzzsaw1939
07-25-2007, 04:30 PM
Old huh?..mmmmph! it just accured to me, Snoopy's all most as old as I am! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

corsair0772
07-25-2007, 05:04 PM
But I bet you are a better pilot than he ever was. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Moses, that chair is pretty comfy, it has a vibrate function that is awsome! That gives me a idea... What if I designed a chair that could could work with the game, giving you the feel of the vibrations and jolts whenever you get hit. I could be sitting on a goldmine idea! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Crash_Moses
07-25-2007, 09:34 PM
lol...too late. Somebody beat you to it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

This is on my wish list.

http://www.thebuttkicker.com/ButtKicker%20Gamer_home.html

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y125/Crash_Moses/buttkicker.jpg

corsair0772
07-26-2007, 06:37 AM
lol, I really thought I had something going! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif. I always think of something good, then I find out that someone already did it. I wonder if it works as good as the one I could have designed. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

corsair0772
07-28-2007, 12:58 PM
Has that ever happend to you, think of something good and then you find out it exists? Sorry to be away for awhile, I was the best man in my friends wedding.

corsair0772
07-31-2007, 06:13 AM
OK, here is a question. When I take off from either the carrier, or ground, my plane seems to move left or right. I have my rudder and trim set to nuetral and it still does it. Is there a way to correct this?

Crash_Moses
07-31-2007, 06:49 AM
Yup. More rudder to the opposite side.

Engines produce torque and the engine in WWII birds produced a lot of torque. This is what makes the plane turn left or right on the ground.

Of course, twin engine planes with counterrotating props, like the P-38, didn't suffer as much from this.

What you need to do is apply a little rudder trim before takeoff. In the SBD I usually put in about 5 to 7 clicks. That helps a lot. Also, lock your tailwheel. That will help keep the plane straight as long as the tail is on the ground. Once the tail comes up be ready to apply a little rudder to keep it straight. Not too much or you'll slow the plane down (bad on a carrier).

You won't be able to apply enough trim to keep the plane straight down the entire runway as the amount of trim necessary varies with speed.

Hope that helps.

S!

corsair0772
07-31-2007, 06:56 AM
I though that locking the tailwheel actually prevents it from moving. (kind of like a emergency brake) So your saying that the wheel still turns, you just cant turn the whole assembley like the front wheels on a car. I tried setting my rudder to correct it, but it will still turn. Maybe I need to do the 5 - 7 clicks like you said and see what happens.

Crash_Moses
07-31-2007, 09:05 AM
Right. When you lock the tailwheel it still turns but it doesn't swivel. Remember to unlock it before you land.

There's no way to completely eliminate the torque. Remember, at different speeds the amount of force on the control surfaces is different. I trim constantly especially when changing speed.

corsair0772
07-31-2007, 10:21 AM
Thanks Moses. I will try that tonight and see what it does. I am just getting sick of being thrown around on ground take offs. It is not so bad on the carrier ones though.

Crash_Moses
07-31-2007, 12:22 PM
Roger that. If you don't have a set of rudder pedals I highly recommend gettings a set. Totally changes the game (not as much as TIR though). Both Saitek and CH Products make good rudder pedals.

buzzsaw1939
07-31-2007, 12:59 PM
I love my Saitek pedals, but I wish I could slip more, I could have seen where I was going! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Do you think I made it?http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa103/buzzsaw1939/01.jpg http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa103/buzzsaw1939/02.jpg http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa103/buzzsaw1939/03.jpg

corsair0772
07-31-2007, 03:56 PM
Looks like you made it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. Did you survive that?, because it looks like you were engolfed in fire. Nice job if you made it though. What mission are you flying?, because I haven't seen a land based mission involving a Corsair. Good pics too. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

buzzsaw1939
07-31-2007, 04:18 PM
Nope...made a crater and got kilt! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif
thats just a quick mission build. when are you going on line at home? so we can swap missions and tracks.

buzzsaw1939
07-31-2007, 04:26 PM
It was on the Pacific Island map!!

corsair0772
08-02-2007, 08:04 AM
Sorry, I was off yesterday. I fly the Pacific Islands all the time, don't know why I didn't reconize it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif. To answer your question about being online at home, not yet. My current job has been working me to death lately and all I do is work, fly this sim, drive my Chevelle SS when I can get a chance, and sleep. Then I wake up and do it all over again. So I barly have anytime to get it hooked up, and I don't trust people going into my place when I am not home. I will get it soon though. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gifI don't know what I would do with out you guys, everybody at my work is so boring. Thanks for putting up with me, I would go insane without all of you. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

corsair0772
08-02-2007, 12:31 PM
http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?g=905ab5f9-1e61-490...4e7a67d&f=00&fg=copy (http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?g=905ab5f9-1e61-490e-afbb-844ca4e7a67d&f=00&fg=copy)

Chech this out. I was surfing MSN and came across it. Posted it as a Topic for everyone to see. WW2 plane makes a emergency landing on a highway. Is it a Avenger?

Crash_Moses
08-02-2007, 03:02 PM
Nope, T6 Texan. WWII Trainer. About as close to a flying SBD as I'll probably ever get.

corsair0772
08-02-2007, 03:19 PM
I guess that the video has been out a little while, as someone told me on my topic. HAHA, when I first saw the video, I though of you Moses, because it looked like a SBD. Funny you should metion "About as close to a flying SBD as I'll probably ever get". You are really in love with that plane.

Miki40
08-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Skycat_2:
Things that kill frame rates and make the game stutter:
-- "Perfect" graphics mode. Great for screenshots and cruising, but terrible for missions. Even reducing the terrain detail will help substantially. Try the "Excellent" preset.
-- "Perfect" water. Lesser water detail still looks real enough in my opinion.
-- Too many individual trees. I think there is a setting for forests in the conf.ini.
-- High rate of fire from ships. You can customize this in the conf.ini; I believe there is information of what line you must edit in.
-- Large numbers of planes in the air. Your CPU must control every AI plane, so the more planes there are the more your computer has to work. Additionally, there is usually a hiccup when planes are generated into the mission. Try adding the following to the conf.ini, at the end of the document:

[DGen]
AirIntensity=Low

(By default the Air Intensity is "Medium")

-- 3D gunners. Not a huge frame hit in of itself, but all "eye candy" has a price. If you have this feature turned on, consider if you really need it.
-- Video Mode. Open Glide usually runs better, but it may worthwhile to try DirectX also.
-- Background programs. Are you running other programs (like AntiVirus) in the background? also, Windows VISTA runs more processes than XP and is generally a resource pig.
-- Java updates. Having current Java drivers may help.

Is Open Glide something new? Have not hird before! He, he, he ;-)

OpenGL = Open Graphics Library

Crash_Moses
08-02-2007, 05:08 PM
I guess that the video has been out a little while, as someone told me on my topic. HAHA, when I first saw the video, I though of you Moses, because it looked like a SBD. Funny you should metion "About as close to a flying SBD as I'll probably ever get". You are really in love with that plane.

It basically IS an SBD...except not actually being an SBD of course. Same airframe and engine but no dive flaps, bombsight, etc. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

I was a dedicated fighter dude for a long time. Corsair in fact...it was flown by the Marines so it must be the best. But as I dug into the history and discovered other aircraft flown by the Marines (like the PBJ...I had no idea Marines flew B-25s during the war until I started playing this game...and I'm a Jarhead! How embarrassing...) I quickly realized that there was more to the airwar in WWII then just fighter pilots trying to shoot each other down.

Then I started flying on servers with objectives...holy wah! I was hooked. I still enjoy fighters but bombers bring a tactical element to the game that really appeals to me. I tell you what...the first time I level bombed AAA from 15,000ft online completing the mission objective...and I saw all the ?????????? in the chat bar from the opposing side...oh what a rush...hehe.

But I think it's the history behind the SBD-3 that really draws me to it. It was slow and outdated and still managed to sink more tonnage in the war than any other aircraft. That and it's an easy plane to fly. A real pleasure to fly in fact. So's the DA3. Another great plane with a lot of history behind it. And I can't leave out the Stuka.

Besides, everybody flies fighers. I wanted to be a little different. Eventually I discovered there were a lot of bomber lovers in this sim but by then it was too late...

So, when you finally get on-line, give bombers a whirl on occasion. You might be surprised... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

corsair0772
08-03-2007, 09:24 AM
Is Open Glide something new? Have not hird before! He, he, he ;-)

OpenGL = Open Graphics Library

I have tried to run it on Open Glide, but if you do that, you cant set the graphics to "Perfect". I have been using DirectX and I think that it works better. When I am flying a mission with alot of planes, I will switch to Open Glide and it will run a little smoother. I still have the problem that I had when I started this Topic, but I guess I have learned to live with it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

corsair0772
08-03-2007, 10:00 AM
Moses, Have you ever used torpedo bombers? Don't get me wrong, I like the SBD, and like you said there is great history behind it. I have used them in other games, and believe it or not, I am trying to train with it right now. I have always been into WW2 history. I have completed the whole Medal of Honor series, except for the new ones. That was my obsession before this sim. My favorite plane to fly now is, obviously the F4U 1D Corsiar. I know the alot of history about that one. The Marines flew that one alot and it also saw action in the Korean War as well. My new obsession is the Hellcat, man that plane is awsome. I would like to find missions that I escort SBDs, anything like that in this sim?

Crash_Moses
08-03-2007, 11:23 AM
Moses, Have you ever used torpedo bombers? Don't get me wrong, I like the SBD, and like you said there is great history behind it. I have used them in other games, and believe it or not, I am trying to train with it right now. I have always been into WW2 history. I have completed the whole Medal of Honor series, except for the new ones. That was my obsession before this sim. My favorite plane to fly now is, obviously the F4U 1D Corsiar. I know the alot of history about that one. The Marines flew that one alot and it also saw action in the Korean War as well. My new obsession is the Hellcat, man that plane is awsome. I would like to find missions that I escort SBDs, anything like that in this sim?

I've flown all the bombers except the Avenger. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Another one is the PE-2. That's a sweet rig.

There are tons of community made campaigns and missions over at mission4today. Plenty of bombers to escort there as well as the static campaigns that come with '46. And DCG lets you set up all sorts of scenarios for a campaign. Can't think of the link off hand but you'll find it in Bearcats' essentials list.

On-line you have Zeke vs. Wildcat and Pacific Conflict on Hyperlobby. Both are Pacific Theatre objective based servers...plenty of bombers pilots needing escort. Can't think of the ZvW website but the fellers that host Pacific Conflict are a great bunch. Check out their website at www.airgroup51.com (http://www.airgroup51.com)

S!

corsair0772
08-03-2007, 01:35 PM
I really have to get the internet hooked up so I can start downloading missions. I checked out the missions4today a couple of weeks ago and there are tons of them to download. Thats great that you can choose what you want to fly. I am really looking forward to it. Now to do that, all you have to do is download them and they go strait to the sim?, or is it a little more complex than that? I also need to patch it. I have the same questions about the patch as I do downloading missions. I also checked out the airgroup51 website, looks pretty good, and I guess that you can download missions there as well. How were you with the other bombers?

Crash_Moses
08-03-2007, 02:57 PM
How was I with the other bombers? Out-dang-standing! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Have to admit though I have yet to master the PE-2. She can level bomb and dive bomb and I was having some serious rudder control issues while dive bombing...gonna hafta work on that.

The missions you download usually have instructions on where to install the files. They go into the mission directory and then you have to either put them in the single mission or campaign directory. After that you have to put them in the correct nationality. It's not that hard.

Patching is easy. Just download the patch and double click. It'll do everything for you. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

corsair0772
08-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Thats it for the patch?, thats easy. The missions seem a little harder to do, but if you say its not that hard, I will believe you. I will probably need someone to walk me through it.

Crash_Moses
08-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Thats it for the patch?, thats easy. The missions seem a little harder to do, but if you say its not that hard, I will believe you. I will probably need someone to walk me through it.

Just read the destructions. You'll be fine. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

But if you do get stuck, just yoller. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

buzzsaw1939
08-04-2007, 10:48 AM
It sounds like sombody has somthing more that coffee in his cup! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Crash_Moses
08-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Hey...when someone else reads 'em they're instructions...when I read 'em, well...they is destructions. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif