PDA

View Full Version : Get the effing Windex! (rant)

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-16-2005, 12:06 PM
I rarely (actually this is the first time) rant about something I feel is amiss in this wonderful sim, but I've SOOOooo wanted to fly and enjoy the Hellcat since PF was released...but can't.

The cruddy housekeeping job the ground maintenance crew does on my Hellcat is the worst. No matter how much I gripe, whine, complain, threaten them they just can't get my windscreen cleaned off!

It's at the point of not only costing me kills, but is jeopardizing my life at this point. I see the Ol' Hellcat is available and hop in knowing it was a sweet ride and feel like I might as well be flying behind a night-training hood...I JUST CAN'T SEE!

Please, please, please can we do something about the "fog" on the F6F screen? Even if it's just a little, I would be most appreciative.

*whew* mmkay, rant over. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

TB

VMF-214_HaVoK
03-16-2005, 02:31 PM
Fear not, for you are not alone. I have said it many times over that there is no reason the Hellcat should have such a handicap when all other planes do not. Maybe the modeler was trying to be creative...no idea. But this is not accurate because it is common knowledge that ground crews and pilots cleaned thier canopy glass religiously. Yes perhaps over a coarse of a mission the canopy could become dirty. But on takeoff...please. I think the modeler was after another effect rather then dirt and it is obvious it has not been achieved.

Oleg I ask you that you create this miserable effect for all planes or clean up the Hellcat. Please!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Blueknight1964
03-16-2005, 04:33 PM
This has come up before and yet the problem hasnt been fixed in any of the patches.
So guess we got to live with it.

Oilburner_TAW
03-16-2005, 04:40 PM
I gave up flying this plane for that reason alone. I have followed the prescribed steps of sending a bug report with small screenshots, had a petition in the forum, etc.. etc...

In the email I sent I asked that if it HAD to have smudges, do it like the HE-111, which looks "realistic" I guess.

Whoever modded that cockpit glass did an inexcusably horrible job....I don't see how it made it through beta testing, etc... like that (unless some felt the plane was too uber and needed a handicap).

ComradeBadinov
03-16-2005, 05:28 PM
After spending 20 years in Naval Aviation, I know for a fact no self respecting Plane Captain would let his plane leave the deck with a dirty canopy, or cockpit. that's why I can not understand the **** all over the canopy, I could understand it if it was condensation fog because of the humidity in the Pacific, but dirt........no way http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

PF_Coastie
03-16-2005, 05:45 PM
Thanks for reminding me Thunderbolt, I just cleaned my monitor! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Treetop64
03-16-2005, 05:46 PM
I agree. I was a navigator on HC-130s in the Coast Guard, and dude, we windexed the hell out of that glass after every single flight.

I'm just thankful that the crew for my glorious P-38 does such a fantastic job keeping the canopy clean! You can't see the glass at all! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

mortoma
03-16-2005, 05:57 PM
There's a huge discrepancy in the quality of plaxiglass in the cockpits in this game. I flew the IAR-80 krap plane the other night and it didn't even look like it had any glass at all!!
Ever notice that about the IARs???

3.JG51_BigBear
03-16-2005, 09:25 PM
The glass must just be up to whoever models the cockpit. The Hellcat glass has got to go though. Its just not fair.

horseback
03-16-2005, 09:49 PM
It's particularly silly when you remember that the early LaGGs, MiGs, and YaKs had some serious problems with visibility through their cellophane canopies. I went back & checked... not a hint of yellowing or scratching on them.

I thought all the so-called factory defects weren't supposed to be part of the modelling, but I guess that applies only to aircraft whose companies' rights weren't sold to Weasel-Americans...

cheers

horseback

Philipscdrw
03-16-2005, 10:08 PM
The yellowed perspex of the Russian aircraft may be an aviation journal myth - perhaps Oleg knows something we don't. But all other things being equal, the canopies should be to the same standard of transparancy IMO.

This argument is old. People used to complain about the Bf-109 canopy. Do they still do that? (I don't fly the Bf-109 often enough to make comparison).

GR142_Astro
03-17-2005, 12:58 AM
There is absolutely NO comparison to the 109 and I can't for the life of me figure out what that stinkin plane gets brought up every time someone posts about the Hellcat glass.

For the record, the 109 has some light blotches similar to the P51, and they are only truly noticeable when looking out through the rear.

In contrast, the Hellcat has a big snot blob right in front of the gunsight that becomes its MOST obstructive when you enter a dive for a gunnery pass.

Lastly this is not the modeler's fault who I think did a great job on the cockpit. Someone at 1C is responsible and if I recall recent posts about this, it is due to a bad opacity setting or something of that nature.

1C, please fix this before you leave this series for good.

http://www.thetoque.com/030204/pics/squeegee.jpg

Philipscdrw
03-17-2005, 01:05 AM
I haven't flown the F6F for months, I hardly fly the 109, I was just remembering that there were mucho complaints about the 109 glass back in the day of Il2/FB...

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-17-2005, 10:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Philipscdrw:
I haven't flown the F6F for months, I hardly fly the 109, I was just remembering that there were mucho complaints about the 109 glass back in the day of Il2/FB... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And it was fixed for the most part. Also, many of the 109 complaints were because of the silly oil spray that covers the most important part of the screen whenever so much as a mosquito hits it (but that's a different story).

I think Astro's description of a snot-blob is accurate. This is just one of those little glitches that is so annoying because it really does effect the pilot's ability to see and thus be successful...unfairly too I might add.

Does anyone know if this was sent to 1C as a potential bug? I know it's not really a bug, but it should be at least reported as a modeling error or something.

I tried to ignore it for a loooong time and held out hope that because it was SO obvious it would be remedied. At this point, for me, it's practically unfliable.

Is it possible for someone "in the know" to respond to this? Even if it's just a pm.

TB

Badsight.
03-17-2005, 11:04 PM
didnt Ivan relay back before 3.02 that it was agreed that the Hellcat glass was going to be changed to clear ? ?

i could swear blind that is what he or oleg maddox posted

Badsight.
03-17-2005, 11:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GR142_Astro:
Lastly this is not the modeler's fault who I think did a great job on the cockpit. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>didnt the moddler of the plane make the glass that way ?

just as all glass in all planes has
been up to the moddlers to make as they have wanted ?

carguy_
03-18-2005, 01:56 AM
Yeah,ok fix the glass and take care of Me109G6 glass also please

Blutarski2004
03-18-2005, 07:54 AM
Play balance through dirty cockpit glass ..... ???

DarkCanuck420
03-18-2005, 09:33 AM
I dont understand why there is so much dirt on the glass. A clean canopy is essentia, I windex my monitor everytime a go to play the game ( and everytime i sneeze)

|CoB|_Spectre
03-18-2005, 10:43 AM
It wasn't the modeler's fault. Checkout this thread, third post from the bottom:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?q=Y&a=tpc&s=400102&f=63110913&m=5881041682&p=2

So, it apparently was added after the modeler submitted it.

ddsflyer
03-18-2005, 03:10 PM
This dirt is so bogus. No self respecting Navy aircraft crewchief would EVER let his plane go out with such a windscreen.

Badsight.
03-18-2005, 03:30 PM
regardless , it was mentioned that this was going to be altered back before the 3.02 patch , by Ivan or Oleg himself

how short are our memories or what ?

|CoB|_Spectre
03-18-2005, 04:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Badsight.:
how short are our memories or what ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, while my memory isn't as good as it used to be, my "or what" is gettin' kinda personal! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Oilburner_TAW
03-18-2005, 06:25 PM
bump

VW-IceFire
03-18-2005, 10:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GR142_Astro:
There is absolutely NO comparison to the 109 and I can't for the life of me figure out what that stinkin plane gets brought up every time someone posts about the Hellcat glass.

For the record, the 109 has some light blotches similar to the P51, and they are only truly noticeable when looking out through the rear.

In contrast, the Hellcat has a big snot blob right in front of the gunsight that becomes its MOST obstructive when you enter a dive for a gunnery pass.

Lastly this is not the modeler's fault who I think did a great job on the cockpit. Someone at 1C is responsible and if I recall recent posts about this, it is due to a bad opacity setting or something of that nature.

1C, please fix this before you leave this series for good.

http://www.thetoque.com/030204/pics/squeegee.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Remember pre AEP 109s? It was much worse than the Hellcat is now.

I still dislike what they did to the Hellcat. Hopefully it wont turn people away from my Marianas campaign.