PDA

View Full Version : Alaaaaarm: I hear my wife coming upstairs

wvannes
04-16-2005, 05:55 AM
and I know she is angry: I must shut down Silent Hunter fast!!
That really happened last (Friday) evening.

The fact is, that I am a also a flightsimulation fan since a long time (mostly I fly MS2004 and IL2), but herewith you can fly quite a bit in say about 1 hour. My wife knows, that when I make a flight, this is not that long and (surely at a Friday evening) I come directly afterwards downstairs and we have futhermore a pleasant evening together.

Now I am completely immersed in SHIII and want to do it a bit good, to gain renown.
Therefore I use my torpedo's only for the big ships such as C2/C3/T2/T3.
In the meantime, I am in the campagn in May 1940 (also in the beginning) but a patrol cost indeed some time when you search for the big ships only.

The problem with SHIII furthermore is, that I am so immersed, that I am quite unaware of the time and time goes fast!
Last evening, I said to my wife: I must make a short look at the situation (I am patrolling north of Ireland) in the Noth Channel: maybe there comes a convoy.
So I was patrolling there and had some problems with destroyers, which I could escape.
Suddenly, I saw the mentioning of a coming convoy and so I immediately steamed to the espected meeting position.
Then I heard my wife coming upstairs (well without knowing it, it was already about 10 o-clock and I realised I already silent hunted for 2 hours).
She was (well a bit) angry and furthermore didn't want to hear about my story of the hunting anymore. I must agree that she was right about it.

Now, the convoy is still waiting for me and I have reserved some time, this afternoon for it (I quite look forward to the meeting).

But serious: if you want to play it a bit good (surely with campaign), SHIII cost some time.
Now, fortunately I have normally some time but nevertheless.
Do you have enough time and how do you participate with complains of your wife?

Regards,

wvannes

Laird_Vanguard
04-16-2005, 06:16 AM
Simple, Don't have a wife thus I can play as much SH3 as I desire.

Muhahahaha

jeroen-79
04-16-2005, 06:18 AM
Divorce? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Just plan things a bit and use timecompression.

Long transits can be made short by turning TiCo up.
Spending less time with boring stuff gives you more time for the exciting stuff.

Maybe you could stop before a long engagement rather than after it if you can't stop in the middle of it.

You could set an alarm.

Perhaps there are other moments when you could do a little bit in the game?

If you dare you could even let the game run unattended for a while if you're not expecting trouble.
Not exciting but you can still get some things done while you're with the wife.
Command requires delegation, not just micromanagement.

TASKFORCE1x1
04-16-2005, 06:29 AM
To shutdown fast I alt + F4. at work. Works every time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Incase someone walks by. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

TASKFORCE1x1
04-16-2005, 06:34 AM
Get the wife involved a bit I did.

My wife plays BF1942 always and SHIII sometimes.

We have equal computers in the same room.

Another thing too is a book. Read a long book about Uboats in bed or something to test her time and patience. If she doesnt complain about that, well then when you play SHIII its no different than passing time on a book weather or not its fact or fiction.

Lovo_Kasistan
04-16-2005, 06:47 AM
@Laird_Vanguard

Your sig is wrong. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

It should read "That is not dead, which can eternal lie, and with strange eons, even death may die." http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

El_OSO
04-16-2005, 07:04 AM
Resistance is futile.

Do yourself a favor and keep your wife happy even if it means you don't get to play SH3 as much as you like.

Women will never understand that the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.

My wife and I both have very busy schedules and my work hours have really screwed up our quality time together. Toss a couple of teenagers in there with activities and it has become minimal. We're lucky if we get to spend a few hours on Sunday morning being intimate. Ironically, she doesn't mind that I play video games and I do get to play for a few hours every evening so I consider myself lucky. On the other hand, she loves to ride horses and I don't complain when she spends 12 hours away doing what she loves to do.

trikke12
04-16-2005, 07:07 AM
I let the missus have it first. Afterwards I can permit myself anything, while she falls asleep. Or plays RPGs. Striking how many women don't have interests of their own and rely on men to entertain them. Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of others.

jasaund7089
04-16-2005, 07:20 AM
Like the u-boat captians of old, My domain to play is at night. From like 12 midnight to dawn,friday and saturday(work on monday). My wife use to get stressed when I played all night long, as spending time with her at night untill she went to bed wasn't enough, she needed me to lay in bed with her, slimply staring at the celling wishing I could be on the PC. But I had to explain to her that If she wanted a happy man, she needed to make some compromise.

Thankfully she understood..... And Now I am forced to live my life in the virtual realm late at night on weekends. But I manage to sneak in a few hours during the week, but nothing serious.

Sigh, life's great!

AStotzer
04-16-2005, 07:20 AM
No wife, No kids, No job, lot's of SHIII!

Supr
04-16-2005, 07:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by El_OSO:
Resistance is futile.

Do yourself a favor and keep your wife happy even if it means you don't get to play SH3 as much as you like.

Women will never understand that the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.

My wife and I both have very busy schedules and my work hours have really screwed up our quality time together. Toss a couple of teenagers in there with activities and it has become minimal. We're lucky if we get to spend a few hours on Sunday morning being intimate. Ironically, she doesn't mind that I play video games and I do get to play for a few hours every evening so I consider myself lucky. On the other hand, she loves to ride horses and I don't complain when she spends 12 hours away doing what she loves to do. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You got a good one bear. Mine thinks i'm spending too much time hanging out with my little computer friends and that its not normal for a grown man to hang out with little kids on the computer. LOL, i tried to tell here they were all a bunch of old farts like me, but she'll have none of it. I think we need a group picture to prove it.

Warmonger_sub
04-16-2005, 07:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jasaund7089:
Like the u-boat captians of old, My domain to play is at night. From like 12 midnight to dawn,friday and saturday(work on monday). My wife use to get stressed when I played all night long, as spending time with her at night untill she went to bed wasn't enough, she needed me to lay in bed with her, slimply staring at the celling wishing I could be on the PC. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOLOL, I could have written the very same, to every letter. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

WhiteKnight77
04-16-2005, 08:27 AM
**** Oso, what are you doing over here? Ain't you supposed to be working on a GR mod? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

If you want to keep your wife happy, get her a PC that can play the same games as you do. Load her up and play together over a LAN.

Dominicrigg
04-16-2005, 08:32 AM
Send her to me and i will "look after her" while you play silent hunter 3 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

rofl seriously we could have our first silent hunter divorce!! Be carefull man, you have all the time in the world for silent hunter, it will wait for you, i doubt your wife will!

DrReaper
04-16-2005, 08:33 AM
Lucky for me my wife is very understanding and lets me play all the time. The only thing that can go wrong is she may get a game for her computer and then make me play it with her. I thought I would never finish Dungeon Siege. I think she may buy two copy's of Guild Wars so I have to finish at least one tour in SHIII before it comes out.

Beuf_Ninja
04-16-2005, 08:38 AM
Confine her to quarters for insubordination! And if she persists in undermining the war effort put her in tube 1 and flood it!

Reverend 66
04-16-2005, 10:05 AM
LOL I just spent $200 upgrading my fiance's old computer so she would have something to do while I played SH III on mine. I think this is the most expensive game I ever bought http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Dominicrigg
04-16-2005, 10:12 AM
You guys are so lucky. I have yet to find a girl who doesnt think computer games are stupid and immature lmao.

Ill keep searching, though if i did then i would have to fight with them over the computer!

I dont think english girls like them, cept for the sims...

Forbidden1
04-16-2005, 12:20 PM
We're both retired and she has her own computer and loves yahoo games. (actually she's the one that can stay up all night playing while I nod out around 1 or so). Your only hope is to bring your wife into the gaming world. "Only then can you be truly happy, silenthunter". http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Beuf_Ninja
04-16-2005, 02:24 PM
Quote from Dominicrigg
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You guys are so lucky. I have yet to find a girl who doesnt think computer games are stupid and immature lmao.

Ill keep searching, though if i did then i would have to fight with them over the computer!

I dont think english girls like them, cept for the sims... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I feel your' pain brother, it's amazing how a woman can class a historically accurate simulation as a "waste of time and stupid" yet watching 25 hours of soaps a week and only reading Hello and OK magazine is a mature use of ones time!

TooFastForLove.
04-16-2005, 02:30 PM
"I feel your' pain brother, it's amazing how a woman can class a historically accurate simulation as a "waste of time and stupid" yet watching 25 hours of soaps a week and only reading Hello and OK magazine is a mature use of ones time!"

Never quite looked at it that way but now I couldn't have said it better myself. Although you guys should consider yourselfs lucky, I don't even have a girl.

I like to play at night with a bottle of Jim Beam, the drunken see Kaptain.

Dominicrigg
04-16-2005, 02:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beuf_Ninja:
I feel your' pain brother, it's amazing how a woman can class a historically accurate simulation as a "waste of time and stupid" yet watching 25 hours of soaps a week and only reading Hello and OK magazine is a mature use of ones time! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Il sturmovik actually caused me to get dumped by one of my girlfriends, i **** you not! Though it wasnt fully to blame it was the final straw lmao. But you are too right. When i lose faith in women i just go to the totty thread http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Now where is it buried...

Twelvefield
04-16-2005, 03:21 PM
If you are concerned about your wife bothering you about computer time, there is a relatively easy fix:

Find something physical that needs fixing around the house, like washing dishes by hand, cooking and baking, or cleaning toilets. It should be something that a)you can't use a machine to do, and b)something that will look finished when it is done. Vaccuuming is a bad idea, because it uses a machine, and it looks the same when you start as when you finish. Dusting is no good because it's not terribly physical, and again, there's little difference between when you start and when you are done. Mowing the lawn is no good, because it uses a machine. Your lady must see that it is you, and not the machine that is doing all of the work.

Next, pick a time when you know for sure that your wife can (when she stops being busy doing what she is doing) "catch" you in the act of doing the household chore. Try to be working on the chore for 5-10 minutes before your wife "catches" you, for the best effect.

If you are not already a chore-intensive husband, the wife will be suspicious. It doesn't matter. As long as you are consistent, her suspicion will quickly be overwhelmed by her gratitude that you appear so willing to help around the house. If you are already happy doing chores, all you need to do is refine the times that you choose to do them.

Whatever you do, don't do these chores at any time when your wife is not likely to catch you!

Sooner or later, your wife will want to talk to you about your chores. This is the time to be frank and totally honest and lay your cards on the table: you've done the chores, you deserve to play. She should respect your honesty, and go along with it.

Likewise, it's a good idea to get your wife involved in gaming. My wife was very happy when we bought her a laptop -- she mostly uses it for Internet and The Sims.

broncobusterppg
04-16-2005, 03:33 PM
Being a powered paraglider pilot (a time and money consuming aerial sport) I can tell you that this type of hobby is very similar. We pilots suffer from AIDS: Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome. I'm sure the same type of diagnosis can be given when I'm simming.

Mylo42
04-16-2005, 04:51 PM
Twelve,

That THAT's problem solving...I love it..lol. For me...I'm pushing it, and I know it. Aside from being addicted to SHIII, I also race online. I have reminded my wife how "cheap" racing online is compared to the real thing, that it is only one night a week, no big deal. Since she is a race fan, she completely understood my wanting to do this (although she still calls it "playing your race car game") and is very cool with the fact that my Tuesday evenings are "written off". ...now along comes SHIII......what am I supposed to tell her ???...that I'm a "U-Boat head" (SHIII version of "race head"), that I need my "U-boat fix" ??, that playing SHIII is much cheaper than buying a real one ???. I work shift work so when I'm working nights, I play SHIII all day (waking up early, getting minimal sleep...I guess it's actually simulating a real Cpt.) until she comes home and then off to work I go, the ultimate arrangement really. Problem is with spring here, (I love winter, it's "gaming season") the yard needs attention and it's starting to get noticable. I got the 'ol "You haven't done anything but play that game for 4 days now." My rebuttle......"ya......so.", when I know she's right. Truth is though, if I didn't have her in my life to keep me "grounded", I would never get a **** thing done and for that, I'm thankful. For me, I HAVE to show some improvement in the yard in the next short while. Twelve, are you SURE that the effect is minimized if I use power tools because I could plan for her to see me in the yard, like you suggested. As for commenting on the original question, I think we all realize that when our significant others get angry about our gaming time, they are USUALLY right, and that we need to step back and try to get back to reality. How each of us balances that delicate sitatuation is dependant upon too many things for someone to give simple advice on.

Having said that.....I still love Twelves idea.

Haele
04-16-2005, 05:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beuf_Ninja:
Quote from Dominicrigg
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You guys are so lucky. I have yet to find a girl who doesnt think computer games are stupid and immature lmao.

I dont think english girls like them, cept for the sims... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I feel your' pain brother, it's amazing how a woman can class a historically accurate simulation as a "waste of time and stupid" yet watching 25 hours of soaps a week and only reading Hello and OK magazine is a mature use of ones time! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm quite lucky, my girlfriend is fascinated by my sims, especially SHIII and FS2004 (I fly with RafVirtual). She'll quite happily spend hours watching me play and listen to me chatting on teamspeak to squadmembers. She also plays a lot of MMPORPG's, Everquest, World of Warcraft and Star Wars Galaxies to name a few.

El_OSO
04-16-2005, 06:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WhiteKnight77:
**** Oso, what are you doing over here? Ain't you supposed to be working on a GR mod? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

If you want to keep your wife happy, get her a PC that can play the same games as you do. Load her up and play together over a LAN. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No more GR for me. I'm burnt out on GR and was looking forward to GR2 but that's another story for another forum. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

My wife doesn't get into PC games. It suprises me since she likes puzzles so much. Both my son and I play but he's more into the Fantasy genre whereas I enjoy hardcore realism so we don't actually play together too often.

Mjollnir111675
04-16-2005, 06:13 PM
Twelve,

You are F-1 STATUS! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Bubblehead1948
04-16-2005, 08:19 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif My wife is a saint. For this I give her enough cash support to indulge in her own hobbies. (horseback riding) I just spent 8 hours at a LAN party with my friends. Now I am playing sh3. Life is good. I'm spoiled rotten.

wvannes
04-17-2005, 03:30 AM
Yesterday (saturday), I returned from my patrol at local (read: my own) time at about 20.00 hour and therefore just in time, to avoid futher personal problems (well don't take it too serious, but there is a little truth in it) . So, I couldn't inform you until now about until now my so far most eventfull patrol.

First, I like to inform you that I play at 56% with the possibility to look with god's eye and the view of the torpedo's (that is also to learn more about the strategy of the ennemy and the behaviour of the torpedo's); futher I use torpedo officer to assist me.
I have learned to shoot under the keel of the ships and mostly I can sink a solo ship in one shot.

I intercepted the convoy (my first convoy) with still about 7 torpedo's (4 forward and 3 in the back).
The first shot was at a T2 and that was rightaway a kill. The other 3 forwards were for 2 C2's and 1 T3.
I shot one C2, but with no immediate succes (only crippled).
Until that time, I was still unseen but in the meantime a little merchant came steaming right in my direction, so I had to make a little reverse speeed (with still my periscope up) and that was the time, the ennemy saw me.
My crew attended me, but I was right waiting for the second C2 (now I had speed "0" again).
I looked at the coming destroyer and again at the C2: I recognized that there was not enough time any more to wait for the C2, but I had no speed at all.
I ordered to dive but that took too long and I assumed that I was doomed.
With the god's eye, I saw the destoyer and he touched me right on the head.
My crew cried, that I took damage and I thought: okay that was it (but I also knew, that I had a "save" of the day before).
I got in the ship, but fortunately, I saw that the damage was not too big: only the contol tower and the anti aircraft and these repairs could wait.

I again looked with god's eye and saw the destroyer (there was only one) with the front deep in the see and a short time later she sank.
Well, I thought: that is a miracle and now I have the whole convoy for myself with still 2 front and 3 back torpedo's (because of the weather, it was a great pity that I could not use my guns).
Until now events had passed with very positive future possibilities, but you know: events cannot stay allways in the positive.

I again manoevred myself in a shooting position and shot my resting 2 front torpedo's at a C2 (which was crippled but not sank) and a T3 (although a hit also not sank, but also not crippled).
Now I had only the 3 back torpedo's.
The T3 afterthat had quite an extraordinary behaviour: I had no need to dive anymore because there were no destroyers anymore (also I was wise to make no report because I know that attracts destroyers like bees to the sucker).
The T3 constantly removed through the convoy too the other side (in relation of my position) while the other ships only zig-zagged.
With my resting 3 back torpedo's, the first was again for the T3: under the keel, but again no succes (although a hit).
With my resting 2 torpedo's I thought I could at best manege the 2 crippled C2's but I am sorry to say, that I only sank one of them and the other was again hit but not sank.

So, things developed: negative-positive-negative.
I total, I had in this patrol: 1*coastal vessel; 3*C2; 3*C3; 1*T2 with a total of 53840 tons.

Next patrol: from Brest.

By the way: I let my wife see my post and your reactions (she found them very interesting).
One remark of you was the behaviour in duties such as household works and I must confess that I also use these methods: I little household work to let see, that I am in principe quite cooperative and thereafter a lot of hunting!!!

All the best,

wvannes