PDA

View Full Version : Map exploit that needs fixing

Axe99
09-22-2010, 03:57 PM
G'day guys,

I was recently playing a game, and someone I know said "Hey, you really want to get someone, you fly a heavy bomber outside the map, behind the volcano in the top right, and they can't see you and then you pop out of nowhere and hit 'em from behind".

He's an ex-MW2 player.... And a good bloke generally, I guess it's the MW2 background that's tainted him.

I was like "err, that's an exploit man, and not cool". As Eugen sound like they're working on a patch, I reckon fixing this would be a brilliant thing to include in it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. I can't remember the name of the map (I'm generally playing 1v1 ranked games at the mo), but it was a four-player map, with a Volcano in the top-right hand corner, and an open-ish space in the middle with four supply depots and a couple of small words, with either side on the middle being a town behind rivers, if that helps.

On the by, most of you guys on the forums sound cool - but if you think using this exploit is a good idea, it isn't. Using exploits that clearly weren't part of the game design is cheating, and cheating just ruins the fun for everyone, and kills the game long-term (ie, one cheater can make 5+ people quit playing the game altogether, enough of it goes on, and no-one plays the game - so play clean guys http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif).

Axe99
09-23-2010, 01:51 AM
Happened to me on Blitz this arvo as well - person doing it seemed to think that was the way the devs intended it! (If I'm Devs, deffo set me straight here, but it looks like an exploit rather than a planned feature).

JamesDSidious
09-23-2010, 02:18 AM
you can do this on every map. Try it in battle mode. You can micromanage your bomber all around the mapp on the outside, no need for radiosilence there.

Axe99
09-23-2010, 05:35 AM
Surely that can't be deliberate?! I find it hard to believe that the devs decided to include a magical 'boundary zone' on every map where everyone is invisible when not sighted.

JamesDSidious
09-23-2010, 06:43 AM
it works just for planes though. tanks, other vehicles and infantry can't go there.

Ghoullio
09-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Why not? A smouldering volcano would be the perfect screen for a bomber group. I doubt they would fly through volcanic ash, though. To be honest, if you're that destabilized by a simple bombing run then your defenses could use an improvement. I have yet *knock on wood* to be killed by a bombing run...

Axe99
09-23-2010, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Ghoullio:
Why not? A smouldering volcano would be the perfect screen for a bomber group. I doubt they would fly through volcanic ash, though. To be honest, if you're that destabilized by a simple bombing run then your defenses could use an improvement. I have yet *knock on wood* to be killed by a bombing run...

And what about the maps where there's not a Volcano?! And why can it only be cover for planes and not ground forces?!

I can't believe the almost open acceptance of exploits in this forum! I'm kinda glad that the people I've generally played against have been better online gamers

On the by, I've never been beaten by this, but generally I set up my AAA to shoot at people that'll be travelling across the map - on Blitz, the shifty person I was playing against did knock out a couple of admin buildings before getting his bomber shot to hell on the way out - was the difference between a win and a draw for me though (given the easy 200 points he got, in exchange for 25 points for a Lanc).

It was easy enough to fix, just put AAA all around the base, but it'll be a sorry state if RUSE descents into 'round the world' bomber duels, or people need to put up a stackload of unneccessary AAA just in case of some exploiting tool.

If this takes hold, it'll mean that the best games of RUSE outside of the campaign will be in battle mode against the AI - who strangely enough don't use the magical mystery plane zone on the outside of the maps and make for a far better and enjoyable opponent than someone who does.

JamesDSidious
09-24-2010, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Axe_99au:
I can't believe the almost open acceptance of exploits in this forum! I'm kinda glad that the people I've generally played against have been better online gamers

I really do not support these kind of 'exploits' but it has already been there during beta days and has been brought to light even then. maybe it is indented to be there?

You also call other player bad because they know of this 'exploit' thats a bit harsh i think. I for myself am a ground heavy player and i only build an airfield if i have complete mapcontrol and i want to play a littlebit longer until i crush my opponent.

knowing and using are two different kind of things. and as some people stated above, it's easily countered. for me bombing runs are only effective in mid-late game. and if someone is able to get off a bombing run then he probably doesn't need to go around the edge of the map anyway.

Axe99
09-24-2010, 05:46 AM
I wasn't talking about you in particular James, and I didn't say anyone was bad for knowing of the exploit (hell, I know of it as well) but on, say, a SOCOM or KZ2 forum if an exploit like this has been brought up, it's quick to be condemned and folk who've been abusing holes in the game have been named and shamed. But on this forum we've got indifference and someone even supporting it, and not a single other person suggesting it's a bad thing.

Fair enough - I'm lucky that it's only happened to me once - but if it happens to me a few more times, I'll leave the online well alone. While it can be countered for, it kills the immersion for me.

JamesDSidious
09-24-2010, 06:42 AM
I wasn't talking about you in particular James, and I didn't say anyone was bad for knowing of the exploit (hell, I know of it as well) but on, say, a SOCOM or KZ2 forum if an exploit like this has been brought up, it's quick to be condemned and folk who've been abusing holes in the game have been named and shamed. But on this forum we've got indifference and someone even supporting it, and not a single other person suggesting it's a bad thing.

Fair enough - I'm lucky that it's only happened to me once - but if it happens to me a few more times, I'll leave the online well alone. While it can be countered for, it kills the immersion for me.

i know that you didn't speak about me in particular, and i aswell see the dangers of that (i.e. your not able to finish someone of because he's hiding one last bomber in this area.). my post may have been a little bit to harsh.

but as sadly as it is, this community isn't very large (socoms and Kz 2 's are way bigger), and mostly the same 5 guys are posting in here. therefore you won't get the same reaction as in a bigger forum. i don't think that naming and shaming will have much of an effect, because of this very sole reason.

i for myself have had problems with disconnectors lately and think that the 10 win series achievement won't unlock for me because of this. just try to enjoy this great game and hope that there will be a good, even if it will be small, core community, which doesn't need these kind of tactics.

Axe99
09-24-2010, 04:12 PM
Hey James, if you're on PS3 I'm happy to help you get the 10 streak thing. I'm normally against boosting, but in the case of people not being able to do things because of design issues, then it's a bit different (and I understand the lure of trophies). I'm pretty lucky - whenever I get a game I have a look at the trophies and see which ones are worth going for, and the 10-win streak one didn't register, I just figured it'd be too hard, but some poor recruit came on when I was at 7, and got paired with me two games in a row, and then I only needed one more win which I got - that 10th game is damn nerve-wracking though!

As for the map exploit thing, my frustration was particularly high as, of the two responses, one actually seemed to be supporting it! (Ghoullio, not you http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)

Ghoullio
09-24-2010, 08:54 PM
I'm sorry, but I think it fits into the game. WWII radar wasn't very good and land recon units can only spot so much. Who's to say that the enemy didn't order a round of air support before a ground invasion and it simply seems to be on the horizon, out of sight.

If you can't win because of a single unit, then you need to strategize a little better. A total win is a total win, regardless of one little unit you have left on the map.

You seem to be very upset over a small hypothetical situation that no one seems to be able to prove has happened.

Ghoullio
09-24-2010, 08:56 PM
Hey James, if you're on PS3 I'm happy to help you get the 10 streak thing. I'm normally against boosting, but in the case of people not being able to do things because of design issues, then it's a bit different (and I understand the lure of trophies). I'm pretty lucky - whenever I get a game I have a look at the trophies and see which ones are worth going for, and the 10-win streak one didn't register, I just figured it'd be too hard, but some poor recruit came on when I was at 7, and got paired with me two games in a row, and then I only needed one more win which I got - that 10th game is damn nerve-wracking though!

As for the map exploit thing, my frustration was particularly high as, of the two responses, one actually seemed to be supporting it! (Ghoullio, not you http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)

I DO find it terribly hypocritical that you complain about one glitch while boasting about taking advantage of another glitch that gives you a trophy for something you haven't earned.

Axe99
09-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Boasting? I just mentioned what happened - and are you saying I should have surrendered in the middle of my streak instead? Unlike the map boundary glitch/exploit (which is entirely optional), you don't know the level of your opposition before you're in the game.

So you know, at the end of both games I sent messages to the player giving them tips on the better factions to play and how to use them - I was hardly taking advantage of them, they were just unlucky. During my latest streak (also of more than 10 games, with no recruits involved), I was paired with a level 38 player, so it goes both ways, and I've most definitely earned it (twice).

That aside, while WW2 style-radar was clearly not perfect, your explanation is flimsy at best. If it was an intended gameplay mechanic, it should affect the whole of the gameplay area, not just the boundaries. I can understand people who use the exploit wanting to make excuses, but I honestly struggle to understand how anyone can think that this is a part of intended game design, and something which makes the game more realistic.

In terms of your explanation - land recon can spot the planes on the edge of the map as well - you just have to know whether you're playing a glitcher or not as to whether you need to post them there http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

And it'd also be somewhat unusual for a game that walks players through the mechanics thoroughly, with a good manual, to completely miss any mention of this, ahem, 'feature'.

And as for the hypothetical situation, I posted earlier that it had happened to me, and I had seen it done to someone else - and it's been posted that it was an issue in the beta. That's a bit of stretch for the meaning of the term 'hypothetical'.

And as for winning, it's not an issue at all - I'm around 40 games for 30 wins, with two 10+ winning streaks in 1v1 ranked. I can win, and the tool who used the exploit on me only drew because their bomber took out a couple of admin buildings (and was nowhere near winning) - I haven't lost to the exploit - it just makes the game less enjoyable.

It's all good - there's not many people playing online so it's no hard to learn who the glitches are, and I've got my 10-win streak sorted, so if I come up a known glitcher I'll just surrender straight away and game with someone else, and if it becomes too prevalent leave everyone to play their games of 'Bombers on the borders', and play RUSE as it was designed with AI and friends. It's just a shame to see people so keen to see what is already a pretty small community made even smaller - because in the long run that's the only thing glitches do.

TheVoice777
09-26-2010, 07:33 AM
G'day guys,

I was recently playing a game, and someone I know said "Hey, you really want to get someone, you fly a heavy bomber outside the map, behind the volcano in the top right, and they can't see you and then you pop out of nowhere and hit 'em from behind".

He's an ex-MW2 player.... And a good bloke generally, I guess it's the MW2 background that's tainted him.

I was like "err, that's an exploit man, and not cool". As Eugen sound like they're working on a patch, I reckon fixing this would be a brilliant thing to include in it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. I can't remember the name of the map (I'm generally playing 1v1 ranked games at the mo), but it was a four-player map, with a Volcano in the top-right hand corner, and an open-ish space in the middle with four supply depots and a couple of small words, with either side on the middle being a town behind rivers, if that helps.

On the by, most of you guys on the forums sound cool - but if you think using this exploit is a good idea, it isn't. Using exploits that clearly weren't part of the game design is cheating, and cheating just ruins the fun for everyone, and kills the game long-term (ie, one cheater can make 5+ people quit playing the game altogether, enough of it goes on, and no-one plays the game - so play clean guys http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif).

Some idiot tried this with me yesterday, luckily I saw his move early and placed some anti air behind my base and shot down his bomber attack...some ppl have no honor http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

Deton_van_Zan
09-27-2010, 03:37 AM
planes can go places that wheels or tracks cant, like mountain, sea. you cant be serious to say thats not fair, when you can build air yourself to get there first to prevent or stage a attack

Joppsta
09-27-2010, 04:12 AM
I hate it when an RTS or strategy game in general comes down to a spamfest. I mean.. sure.. you need to spam units sometimes for a counter in the early game but if you keep spamming that one unit, you'll get destroyed.

Isn't really the same with air forces .. but .. ugh.

I hate exploits in any game and this, in my books is an exploit. Please EUGEN fix this http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Axe99
09-27-2010, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by Deton_van_Zan:
planes can go places that wheels or tracks cant, like mountain, sea. you cant be serious to say thats not fair, when you can build air yourself to get there first to prevent or stage a attack

Absolutely - and in RUSE, in the gameplay map, they can cross rivers, forests, towns and the like with ease.

However, allowing them to go outside of the map, disappear from the display when they do (without requiring a radio silence RUSE), and to not alert players that this is even possible screams exploit.

The map is the map for a reason. If there is supposed to be some kind of extra bonus area for air units, Eugen would have mentioned it in the manual, or the very well thought-out campaign that provided tutorials on every gameplay mechanic in the game.

I'm not saying that it's not fair - I'm saying it's a hole in the game's code that should be fixed. Plenty of exploits are 'fair' in the way you describe them, but that hardly makes them good or sensible.

vincenty82
09-27-2010, 09:17 AM
It had happen to me in couple of ranked games and i think it is unfair exploit. It alows you to sneek on enemy not using any ruses. just chose USSR. Camo the base build 2/3 depos and airfield. Put radio silence and spam some bombers. sneek outside of the map and as soon as you have another ruse put either radio silence or blitz and go for his HQ. BIG blow in the first couple of minutes http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif and there is nothing that can stop you. There is no good counter for this rush but if your enemy have aa he is in big disadvantage because you are already rushing with some small tanks infantry and setting 2 HQ.