PDA

View Full Version : Heads Up....

Bearcat99
03-09-2007, 05:23 AM
Comp USA is closing 139 stores nation wide by the end of May ..... Here in Va. all of the Northern stores are being closed... which really bites because I like CUSA... but anyway... there should be some sales....

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-09-2007, 07:16 AM
About 10 years ago CompUSA was doing bang-up business. As the pc market became more niche and the enthusiast was building less-frequently, I always wondered how they continued to stay in business.

It's too bad because I too liked going there for immediate gratification on some items that other stores or chains simply didn't carry and that I didn't want to get online (Their assortment of cases was always quite good for instance).

I just built a new rig, but am always looking for a bargain. Thanks for the head-up BC.

TB

slappedsilly
03-09-2007, 10:14 AM
That stinks! They were the only place I could find the Aces Expansion pack when I needed it.

knightflyte
03-09-2007, 11:11 AM
While I too like going into Comp USA, I find that they carry a lot of off market brand and CompUSA branded items now. Try to find an ANTEC power supply there.

I've got 2 store within ten miles of my home. One is delapidated, and the other has an oversized TV section. Their 'hardware section' is very limited.

The internet has created a shift in marketing and purchasing for sellers and customers alike.

The difficult thing about losing CUSA is that they always did have a decent computer games section. Best Buy has maybe two sections of one rack devoted to computer games. EB has a few kiosk racks that sell older games, but frequently has a very very limited selection of new games.

I WILL miss them when they go.

flox
03-09-2007, 12:40 PM
When it comes to hardware, I use newegg.com 99% of the time. I only go to retailers for peripherals because I like to get my hands on them before buying-- and even then I often use the store to try it out, then go home and buy it cheaper online.