PDA

View Full Version : instaling on multiple harddrives

Schithawk
11-07-2005, 08:11 PM
hi all : ) am about to format my sys .I use 2 40 g harddrives. would i be better off installing the game on c: or by itself on second harddrive and would it be more optimal to set second as primary slave or secondary master?

han freak solo
11-07-2005, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Schithawk:
hi all : ) am about to format my sys .I use 2 40 g harddrives. would i be better off installing the game on c: or by itself on second harddrive and would it be more optimal to set second as primary slave or secondary master?

I have two 80 GB hard drives. C is the primary and D is the slave. I run all my usual programs from C, EXCEPT for my IL2:FB/AEP/PF (including non-installed skins, missions, etc.) which is on D.

Both drives are cross back-ups. That means I backup my non-game data from my C to my D. I backup my game data (IL2:FB/AEP/PF folder, non-installed skins, missions, etc.) from my D to my C drive. So, my game runs from D and non-game programs run from C.

If I lose a drive, I've got my data on the remaining drive. If I lose my Operating System, I have my data on D.

Theoretically, this spreads the wear across two drives, making the drives last longer. That's not exactly why I did it. I just wanted internal backup.

Actual experience has been that about 10 months ago, my OS crashed. I had to reformat. Thankfully, I had my data from the last backup. To make the game play, since it is on D, I just remade a shortcut from D to the desktop. I didn't have to reinstall the game.

I had to reinstall everything else though. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

LEXX_Luthor
11-07-2005, 08:44 PM
Now that you are formatting, this is the time to experiment with partitioning your disks if you have never done it before.

Make a 10g partition for Windows, or smaller if your Windows install fits in less, and you have another 30g or more left over on your first disk to create another "D" or even "E" "F" etc.. drives on the same hard disk. That's the value of partitioning.

I have Windows all by itself in a small 4g boot "primary" partition (my "C" drive), and run all my other software on a 10g partition (my "D" drive), and run FB alone on a 5g partition (my "E" drive). All of this on one 20g hard disk. My other 20g hard disks I store away as data and game folder backups, and I store them as far away from my computer's power supply as I can.

Use the second disk as large backup, but normally keep it at least unplugged from the power supply. My power supply blew up once and it took out my hard drive. If I had my backup drive hooked up at the time, it would have been destroyed too. It wasn't and I never lost any data -- imagine if you lost your skin collection, if you have a very large one. Or a Mission folder filled with good missions. Stuff like that.

2nd disk Slave/Master no matter, you can change them any time.

WWSensei
11-08-2005, 03:06 AM
If you are running XP or Windows 2000 you can do away with drive letters altogether exept for C drive. Partition up your drives and then mount the partitions to directories and then everything can appear to be on a C drive. Makes upgrading disks later on much easier. For example my rig has 3 HDs. 1 30 and 2 80s. The 2 80s are split into two 40 meg partitions.

30 Gig is primary C drive.
Drive 2, Partition 1 is mounted to c:\games for games
Drive 2, Partition 2 is mounted to c:\utils for applications
Drive3, Partition 1 is mounted to c:\video for my video editing
Drive 3, Partition 2, is mounted to c:\backups for ghost images of the system

No multi-drive letters for me on the hard drives. This allows me to replace drives without needing to reinstall squat. For instance, let's say I buy a shiny new 160 gig drive. I want to change my 40gig partition for games to an 80 gig partition. All I have to do is install the the 160 and create two paritions of 80 gig each. Ghost my existing games parition from it's current 40 gig spot to the new 80 gig partition. Unmount the original parition and re-mount the new one. Now I have doubled the size of my game partition, don't need to reinstall squat and didn't even need to reboot.

I have one internal CDRW/DVD+RW drive and one external combo drive. They show up as D and E drives.
Then do Control Panel->Adminstrative Tools->Computer Management->Disk Management

Highlight the partition you wish to test. Right click on it and select change drive letter and paths. Click Add and you can choose to add another drive letter or a path to an NTFS empty folder. If you choose to "Mount in the following empty NTFS folder:" you would type "c:\test".

If that partition had been your "E:" drive for example, you can now access it either by E: or by c:\test.

When I first built out my system I mounted all the partitions this way and then removed the drive letter options. Now when I install software it thinks its all on one humongous C drive when it is actually spread across several drives and partitions and allows me the ease of swapping hard drives without having to reinstall software since it the registry still points to a C: drive path.

stansdds
11-08-2005, 03:55 AM
I have a 120 GB harddrive and I partitioned it into 4 partitions.
C: Windows, drivers, web browser
D: Business applications and graphics programs
E: Games
F: Storage space

Te_Vigo
11-08-2005, 07:49 AM
Or you could set one disk on Primary Master as a two partition drive C:\ and D:\ (or just C:\ and install the second disk on Primary Slave.
On the Primary Slave ....set this as your "fixed size" Page File @ 1.5 times your RAM minus 512gb and on the C:\ set this page file to 512gb.
Dedicate the Primary Slave disk as dedicated to Page File only, nothing else goes on here

Keep the total on both disks as divisible by 8

I have my system configured this way with two 36 gb Raptors RAID 0/ as C:\ (system) and D:\ (Games) with a third, ATA disk (Page File) on the Primary Master.

x6BL_Brando
11-08-2005, 07:56 AM
I use an old rig as a house-server, TS server and back-up bin. I back up all my FB folders regularly to one or more drives in this rig - and when I download e.g. a zipped mission or skin then I place it in my FB back-up bin after I've expanded and installed it in the game.

Accessing files that I regularly use , like photo albums, campaign building tutorials, stuff like that, are easily accessible without needing to access My Network Places. Just make shortcuts to the necessary stuff, and place them in the relevant folder like My Pictures, My Doc..s and so on.

That way I keep my little Raptor un-crowded, power demand down, and the inside of the rig cool, but I'm able to access all the data I need at any time, easily.

The Raptor itself uses a 10Gb partition for XP & apps, and the rest holds FB and associated stuff. If necessary I can format & reinstall Windows very quickly without disturbing the flight stuff - even quicker using Acronis or Norton Ghost.

However you set it up, regularly backing up your data is the essential - organising how you divide it all up is secondary but worth the time spent http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

JFC-Slumped
11-08-2005, 10:07 AM
Not directly related to your question, but seperating your swap file over physical drives (not partitions of the same drive mind you) can get you a performance boost if your computer uses much virtual memory.

TBH I don't see the point in having more than one partition per drive, it just makes things inflexible. Say when you have 150Mb left over on one partition, nothing usefull will fit on, it's a waste.

Schithawk
11-08-2005, 11:02 AM
thanks guys apreciate it alldone

jarink
11-08-2005, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by JFC-Slumped:
Not directly related to your question, but seperating your swap file over physical drives (not partitions of the same drive mind you) can get you a performance boost if your computer uses much virtual memory.

This works best assuming both drievs are at least equal in speed. If you had, say, two identical 40GB drives, putting the swap file on the second drive would allow both drives to read/write simultaneously without getting in each other's way. Usually, setting up the 2nd drive on the secondary controller will provide better drive I/O also.

There's so may ways of doing this... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

I really like WWSensei's suggestion! Virtual folders are cool. I never really gave it any thought about how to use them on a desktop PC.

Schithawk
11-15-2005, 11:54 PM
NOW u got my attention !! Swap files on different harddrives sounds like what i might be looking for. I use to identical harddrives and am starting to host a bit with 1 rig and fly on another so any tis or tricks to speed up would help .
thanks again fellas
~SchitHawk~