PDA

View Full Version : new computers available

stugumby
07-14-2006, 06:03 AM
local dealers have compaq and hp. im looking at this

Compaq Presario SR1950NX Media Center PC
Price: $599.99
€ AMD Athlon 64 3800+ processor (2.4GHz)
€ Genuine Windows XP Media Center
€ 1024MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM
€ 250GB 7200 rpm hard drive
€ Double-layer DVDR/RW drive with CD writer capabilities, LightScribe
€ Integrated GeForce 6150LE graphics
€ 9-in-1 digital media card reader

my only concern would be to add a stick of ram, but what about the dvd combo, isnt there cases where new dvd games such as complete/ultimate edition cant be read etc???? other option is the 1850 which has a ati reeadon graphics card but has the lower dvd/cr reader, same will need a stic of ram??

stugumby
07-14-2006, 06:03 AM
local dealers have compaq and hp. im looking at this

Compaq Presario SR1950NX Media Center PC
Price: $599.99
€ AMD Athlon 64 3800+ processor (2.4GHz)
€ Genuine Windows XP Media Center
€ 1024MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM
€ 250GB 7200 rpm hard drive
€ Double-layer DVDR/RW drive with CD writer capabilities, LightScribe
€ Integrated GeForce 6150LE graphics
€ 9-in-1 digital media card reader

my only concern would be to add a stick of ram, but what about the dvd combo, isnt there cases where new dvd games such as complete/ultimate edition cant be read etc???? other option is the 1850 which has a ati reeadon graphics card but has the lower dvd/cr reader, same will need a stic of ram??

han freak solo
07-14-2006, 06:47 AM
I'd get a rig with the ability to have a non-integrated PCI Express graphics card. For future upgrade purposes.

There are even new motherboards out there that support dual graphics cards, but I'm sure that's out of my reach for quite some time.

I am a fan of AMD CPUs though.

stugumby
07-14-2006, 06:57 AM
what exactly does non integrated mean, once upon a time i bought a graphics card for an ancient compaq and the old one was on the mother board. so is this a big issue or just a preference thing. i hate salesmen for the most part cause they fling numbers and stats and im not tracking except i know what ram is does and the size. this computer would double my existing capabilities. currently 1.5 hard drive, fx 5200 128mb graphics and 1 gig of ram, and no dvd burn capability.

han freak solo
07-14-2006, 07:03 AM
Integrated graphics means the video processor is physically part of the mother board. That may mean there is no ability to upgrade as your video graphics needs increase.

A non-integrated video card mounts to the motherboard and is interchangeable. There are 3 types that I know of. PCI, AGP, and the latest PCI Express. Regular PCI (Peripheral Component Interconnect) is now considered obsolete. I currently have AGP (Accelerated Graphics Port) but it is considered obsolete compared to PCI Express.

Since you're looking into Compaq/HP you can use their website to look at the "build-your-own" systems and in the details you can see what adding various PCI Express video cards will cost.

See PCI Express (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=define%3A+PCI+Express&btnG=Search)

han freak solo
07-14-2006, 07:21 AM
If the rig you are looking into comes with integrated graphics and still is upgradable with a later installed graphics card, you're probably okay.

Just find out if it has a spot for PCI Express or if it's only for AGP.

russ.nl
07-14-2006, 08:33 AM
Ah you're going from the multi tools to the new pc. Much better choice http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

If I were you I would build a pc of my own. I can be cheap, you will learn a little about the hardware and this makes it easyer to upgrade it.

Figure out what you want to do with it. This will determine the hardware you will need.

For instance:
You want a gamers pc. You will need a good graphics card and ram memory. A fast cpu doesn't hurd ether.

Just browse the internet for the thinks you need at the cheapest price.

This is a simple pc that you can play on for a couple of years.

-AMD Athlon Processors / AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego (S939, 2,4GHz, 1MB, Boxed) $156,96
-Socket 939 moederborden / Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLI, nForce4 SLI (PCI-e, Sound, LAN, SATA II, RAID,FW/b) $102,46
-DDR SDRAM PC3xxx / 1GB x 2 (2GB) PC3200 DDR, CL3 (Kingston KVR400X64C3AK2/2G) $175,-
-Serial ATA harde schijven / Hitachi Deskstar 7K250, 160GB (7200rpm, SATA, 8MB) $ 68,26
-nVidia GeForce 7 Serie / Calibre GeForce 7900 GT 512MB DDR3 (PCI-e, 2xDVI) P790 $355,-
-Miditowers / Cooler Master Centurion 5 CAC-T05 (ATX, Geen PSU, Zwart) $ 55,37
-Computervoedingen / Antec NeoHE 500. 500W (ATX12V 2.2) $102,95
total $1016,-
All prices are in Euro's and with delivery charge.

-Optionel: Soundcard
Flatscreen
sound system
mouse and keyboard
new joystick
rudder peddal
track IR
VR goggles
a small frig for the beer
a gun to rob a bank to pay for all of this

What you can also do is make a list like this and go to a pc store and tell them you want to buy all this from them but you want 10% discount.

Anyway I now very little about very much. This probebly isn't the best rig for the best price but for 5min of work I thought it would be a good example.

horseback
07-14-2006, 09:27 AM
Making your own is the way to go.

The most cost effective way to do this is to make a list of things you need for your rig, and obtain them as they go on sale over a period of a few months. Save the processor, motherboard and RAM for last, as these MUST work together, and if they don't, you will want to be able to go to the dealer and exchange them with a minimum of muss & fuss.

If you have a Frys' Electronics nearby, you can occasionally find a processor/motherboard combo deal that is very cost-effective; I'd stay away from the ECS mobos though.

Likewise with RAM. Computer dealerships in your area will have weekly or monthly sale offers that can be very competitive. Track them for a while to get a sense of what things cost, and when you find a good deal at the right time, snag it.

Power supply, hard drive(s), optical drive(s), case, and video card can be obtained a bit in advance, and most suppliers will sell you your Windows XP O/S CD for a much lower price if you buy it with one of these components. My last computer was built over a period of 8 months. I started with the power supply and acquired everything I wanted for a monster system, putting it together over Christmas vacation. It cost me just over $900, including software (I got Office for Students & Teachers as well as XP Pro)but a system with the same bells and whistles would cost me over $2000 if I bought it retail.

All you really need is a screwdriver (or a good multitool) and an ESD wrist strap to keep yourself grounded while you handle the electronic components. You also have to read the instructions that come with those components, but I recall that you have built models and been in the service, so you should know how to do that.

Take your time, do your research, and you'll find that it's much cheaper and easier than the geeks want you to know.

cheers

horseback

squadldr76
07-14-2006, 10:31 AM
My suggestion is going to www.tigerdirect.com (http://www.tigerdirect.com). It's where I get all of my components. Last winter I was able to build a system that should be able to run BoB and merely spent just over $1000. The same system would probably cost somewhere around $2000 in a retail store.

Also, something else to consider. Having assembled the rig yourself, you'll know exactly what's in it (brands, types, speeds). Most of these retail companies, at least in my experience, buy their components from the lowest bidders and sometimes you get worthless pieces that break in a year.

Besides, as was said, building your own allows you to learn a tremendous amount about them and will enable you to repair it when it breaks. And, it's FUN! It's a great experience when you fire it up and listen to it hum, knowing you assembled the thing yourself.

Good luck in your pursuit. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

triad773
07-14-2006, 10:40 AM
I just recently got a machine from Tiger Direct and for the money, it's a decent value. They even have 'barebones machines' where you get most of the major pieces, and assemble it yourself. You add the OS and maybe keyboard or whatever. May be a decent mid-step to building the whole thing yourself, as next time you'd upgrade you will have already 'built' a machine before.

Troll2k
07-14-2006, 03:11 PM
Make sure the compaq is upgradable for graphics(at least agp but pci express is preferred)also for ram(slots available and type) and sound card.Compaq has a nasty habit of being proprietary and not very upgradable with every day components.(you can sometimes upgrade with their stuff)

If you can do it yourself I would consider this 4 gigahertz dual core for $720.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/06/12/your_diy_gaming_rig_for_720/