PDA

View Full Version : which flyables have gyroscopic? gunsite and their use in game

Oilburner_TAW
04-06-2005, 03:55 PM
I just read recently that the "gyroscopic" (I believe that is what they were called) gunsights are actually modelled and function in some of the planes in IL-2. Which planes would have this feature? The only plane I'm pretty sure of that had something like this was a later model P-51 but I'm not positive. If this is in the game, how do you adjust your sight picture when flying? (ie, how do you aim differently than say when you are flying a J8A).

thanks

Oilburner_TAW
04-06-2005, 03:55 PM
I just read recently that the "gyroscopic" (I believe that is what they were called) gunsights are actually modelled and function in some of the planes in IL-2. Which planes would have this feature? The only plane I'm pretty sure of that had something like this was a later model P-51 but I'm not positive. If this is in the game, how do you adjust your sight picture when flying? (ie, how do you aim differently than say when you are flying a J8A).

thanks

VW-IceFire
04-06-2005, 04:38 PM
So far, two types. One is the P-51D-20 (not the D-5) and the other is the YP-80. I think the D-20 is flyable in PF? Both are definately in AEP.

You have to activate the site to use it in gyro mode. Its in the keybindings.

Anyways, you toggle fixed, gyro, and gyro+fixed modes. The gyro sight moves as you do...if you place the gyro sight over a target in a turn then you can accurately predict where the shots will land on the target. Adjustments for wing length are supposed to help achieve the proper distance to target.

Oh...and if the Spitfire XIV is flyable in-game...it will also have a gyro gunsight. Of essentially the same use as the P-51's.