PDA

View Full Version : On board/engine fires

JerryFodder
03-03-2006, 09:21 AM
On multiple occasions I have flown twin engined AC and had one engine hit resulting in thick black smoke. I've survived the attack and tried to limp back yet strangely even though I shut down the engine completely and fly on the other it will somehow still catch fire after a while - why? It is OFF!

Also, despite configuring the fire extinquisher this doesn't seem to help. Am I supposed to hold it down? Is it for cabin fires only? Is it only certain AC?

thanks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

WB_Outlaw
03-03-2006, 09:27 AM
I've always disliked this behavior myself. Not that it wouldn't occasionally happen due to pooling liquids and such, or if the prop was windmilling thus continuing to pump fluids, but it seems to be inevitable once an engine has been damaged beyond a certain point.

--Outlaw.

bogusheadbox
03-03-2006, 10:05 AM
Some aircraft have extinguishers, and some don't.

Those that do have extinguishers only have a number of uses before the extinguisher runs out. Sometimes it is not enough to quell the fire.

Engine fires that happen, you have to remember can be caused from any sort of damage. Also remember that some armour and metal can actually ignite due to its composition. For instance. take the armour that was plated on the english ships in the falkands (which was hit by an exorcet - not sure how to spell it) that burnt uncontrollably due to the amount of magnesium in the armour. Magnesium takes a bit to ignite, but when you do......Whhoopa!.

Anyway. when you suffer an engine fire and cannot extinguish using your extinguishers. Then point the nose down and grab as much speed as you can. Increased airflow over the fire can reduce its effect and smother a lot of the flames. When you slow down for landing (or loss of power) you will most likely see the engine "spark" up again. Just consider this as a result of smouldering metal surrounded by various fuel sources that has ingnited again by low winds. (low winds actually fuel flames. Just like blowing on the tinder to turn the smouldering sparks into a naked flame).

Hope that helps.

berg417448
03-03-2006, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by JerryFodder:
On multiple occasions I have flown twin engined AC and had one engine hit resulting in thick black smoke. I've survived the attack and tried to limp back yet strangely even though I shut down the engine completely and fly on the other it will somehow still catch fire after a while - why? It is OFF!

Also, despite configuring the fire extinquisher this doesn't seem to help. Am I supposed to hold it down? Is it for cabin fires only? Is it only certain AC?

thanks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Only a few aircraft had fire extinguishers so it is only on certain AC.

SnapdLikeAMutha
03-03-2006, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by bogusheadbox:
For instance. take the armour that was plated on the english ships in the falkands (which was hit by an exorcet - not sure how to spell it) that burnt uncontrollably due to the amount of magnesium in the armour. Magnesium takes a bit to ignite, but when you do......Whhoopa!.

I'm not sure where you heard this...

Coventry and Sheffield had an ALL STEEL construction

Ardent and Antelope had an aluminium superstructure

strewth
03-03-2006, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by SnapdLikeAMutha:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bogusheadbox:
For instance. take the armour that was plated on the english ships in the falkands (which was hit by an exorcet - not sure how to spell it) that burnt uncontrollably due to the amount of magnesium in the armour. Magnesium takes a bit to ignite, but when you do......Whhoopa!.

I'm not sure where you heard this...

Coventry and Sheffield had an ALL STEEL construction

Ardent and Antelope had an aluminium superstructure </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I cannot remember which ship exactly it was, but it was aluminium in build for speed and manouvrebility. It did catch fire and yes, aluminium burns and not just oxidises if the ignition source is hot enough. What appeared to cause more concern was that when it caught fire and they tried to put it out with water, it actually appeared to make things worse and the theory behind this was: Because the heat was extreme, that the water may have actually been broken down into its basic elements, which are hydrogen and oxygen. Perfect fuel for a fire.

WWSensei
03-03-2006, 03:55 PM
Engine fires can persist with engine off just from gravity flow of fuel and oil. I suspect in game it is the fuel. My procedure for shutting down an engine is as follows:

0) Nose down to build speed
1) Unselect good engine
2) Select bad engine.
3) Shutdown engine
4) Fuel Mixture to 0
5) If available, fire extinguisher. Repeat until fire out or extinguisher out.
6) Feather prop
7) Unselect bad engine.
8) Select good engine.
9) RTB

In cases of catastrophic damage I think the excess fuel and oil sprayed on the engine burns.

slo_1_2_3
03-03-2006, 04:28 PM
i think for the planes that do have an extinguisher they only put out the engines when they do work so if yer fuel tanks or wings on fire yer screwed unless the diving thing works or if yer in the mossie
that always blows pretty quick

Crash_Moses
03-03-2006, 07:11 PM
I've put out many fires in my B-25 by diving. I can't actually recall anytime where using the extinguishers actually worked.

Does anyone know how effective the extinguishers were historically?

xTHRUDx
03-03-2006, 10:17 PM
ever since the introductin of the b-25 into this sim, i have never got an engine fire. i have never been able to use the extinguishers as a result. fuel fires? yes, all the time, but never an engine fire. this is due to the poor damage model of this plane. i fly online daily and have lots of sim time in this plane and still no engine fires.

it is a bug, i assure you

slo_1_2_3
03-03-2006, 10:39 PM
i have engine fires all the time and the extinguishers ocasionally work and yes i'm talkin bout the b-25

Z4K
03-04-2006, 06:19 AM
My omgenginefireomgI'mgoingtodie procedure is very similar to WWSensei's, with the following addition:

4a) Magnetos to off

& replacement:

9) Get shot down because I'm too busy arseing about with the engine to pay attention to anything else.

edit:
Also: that whole "water broken down into O2 and H2" thing has always struck me as a load of bosh. The energy released by the burning H2 and O2 gases is going to be exactly the same as the energy absorbed to split them in the first place.

Unless the O2 is preferentially oxidising the Al, and the energy released is higher (someone who cares: look it up and tell me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif).

JerryFodder
03-04-2006, 08:39 AM
Note on the patch 4.04m fixes:

Fire extinguishers added to the Mosquito.*

TAW_Oilburner
03-04-2006, 09:30 AM
This is a bug which I hope is fixed in BOB. When your flying at 25000 ft for 20 min with an engine feathered and all fuel shut off, it shouldn't just catch fire for without reason. Yes there could be an electrical short, but hopefully we will be able to shut off fuel to engines to prevent this. The bigger bug is how long planes can fly while on fire. Some give you about a minute before the wings go, others can fly across the map.

slo_1_2_3
03-04-2006, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Z4K:
My omgenginefireomgI'mgoingtodie procedure is very similar to WWSensei's, with the following addition:

4a) Magnetos to off

& replacement:

9) Get shot down because I'm too busy arseing about with the engine to pay attention to anything else.

edit:
Also: that whole "water broken down into O2 and H2" thing has always struck me as a load of bosh. The energy released by the burning H2 and O2 gases is going to be exactly the same as the energy absorbed to split them in the first place.

Unless the O2 is preferentially oxidising the Al, and the energy released is higher (someone who cares: look it up and tell me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif).
my same list except i add bail the heck out before i rost or boom if im in the mossie