PDA

View Full Version : Flight Controls

Steve1946
01-30-2005, 08:51 AM
In any of the aircraft, the elevator trim controls (ctrl arrow etc.) do not work. I have tried remapping themas well. Also, when doing a Single Mission A/C takeoff, the gear won't come up. Anyone else having this problem?

Steve

Steve1946
01-30-2005, 08:51 AM
In any of the aircraft, the elevator trim controls (ctrl arrow etc.) do not work. I have tried remapping themas well. Also, when doing a Single Mission A/C takeoff, the gear won't come up. Anyone else having this problem?

Steve

thebub
01-30-2005, 10:33 AM
For some older aircraft like the Wildcat you need to set 2 keys to Raise gear up and down in the controls section. Not sure about your trim problem, if you hold control and an arrow for a few seconds does it do anything?

horseback
01-30-2005, 12:46 PM
On a number of aircraft in FB/AEP/PF, like the I-16 for instance, there are no trim surfaces. German fighters had only an elevator (actually, stabilizer) trim. You should also be aware that trim inputs are 'delayed' in their response to limit a type of cheat used in online dogfighting to tighten turns unrealistically, using the dreaded 'trim on a slider' (trim assigned to an extra axis in the HOTAS section of the Controls menu of the game).

Of course, this makes trim input response a bit hard to identify for the button pushers among us, but I've been assured that things are tough all over.

As for landing gear, the Wildcat and a few other types had a handcranked gear for raising and lowering the main gear, and you will need to assign a key or joystick button to both Raise Gear Manually and Lower Gear Manually, and push the button or key repeatedly (one button push for every turn of the crank) to raise or lower your gear.

I've heard that on some automatic gear types, if your hydraulics or air pressurized system is disabled by enemy fire, you will have the option to manually lower the gear as well, although I've not had that particular honor.

I feel your pain. Literally. I'm running an I-16 campaign right now, and I'm wearing the U(p) and D(own) off my keyboard, and I'm getting this sharp pain in my left index finger...

cheers

horseback

Jersey_Seven
01-30-2005, 06:44 PM
I understand. For some reason, I've had better luck remapping elevator trim to the up/down cursor keys (arrows) without the added CTRL.

Feels much more responsive. Maybe placebo effect?

Tully__
01-30-2005, 06:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jersey_Seven:
... Maybe placebo effect? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. To make things more confusing, keyboard elevator is not instant response. You need to hold the key at least 1/10th of a second (maybe more) before it responds at all. Don't hold it too long though as it applies quicker than it responds. 2.5 - 3 seconds of keyboard input will take up to 8 seconds to stop adding trim. Apply a small amount and wait for the response before adding more to make sure you don't overshoot your intended setting.

Jersey_Seven
02-01-2005, 07:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You need to hold the key at least 1/10th of a second (maybe more) before it responds at all. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm happy with my arrow key remap, but you've got me wondering, Tully. What if I were to use a programmable keyboard that let's me set the delay between repeat events? I may have to try that, just out of curiosity.

BTW, thanks much for your X45 profile and your helpful article on joysticks in IL2/FB/PF.

JS

DarkCanuck420
02-01-2005, 09:12 PM
does it even do anything when i have trimmed the elevators up nothing shows on the screen, like "100% throttle" for example, or "there is a fly on your windshield."

it tells you to do it in the carrier take off training...

================================================

BSS_Vidar
02-02-2005, 02:31 AM
One good way to check to see if you trim is responding to commands it to watch the trim wheel. Hold the hey command down a few seconds to see it the trim wheel starts to rotate in the cockpit.

Tully__
02-02-2005, 02:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DarkCanuck420:
does it even do anything when i have trimmed the elevators up nothing shows on the screen, like "100% throttle" for example, or "there is a fly on your windshield." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As not all aircraft have animated trim wheels, there are two ways to be absolutely sure trim is working:

1. In flight, you can see/feel the aircraft respond differently to the controls

2. On the ground or in the air, if you watch from external while applying trim but not joystick input, you can see the affected control surface move.

Option 2 is the easiest to be sure with.