PDA

View Full Version : Big salute to all our veterans

|CoB|_Spectre
11-11-2004, 05:36 AM
Today is Veteran's Day in the US and time to reflect upon the sacrifices and contributions made by our men and women in uniform. Salute to all our defenders of our freedom. May our nation be forever grateful.

woofiedog
11-11-2004, 06:24 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif May we all take a little time today for our Men and Women who are serving Our Countries.

Bearcat99
11-11-2004, 06:32 AM
Freedom is not free....... <span class="ev_code_RED">~</span><span class="ev_code_WHITE">S</span><span class="ev_code_BLUE">~</span>

and as a side note..... I just watched We Were Soldiers last hight.. which was probably in my opinion one of the best war movies ever made... right up there with Band of Brothers, Das Boot,and A Piece of Cake.... in that it showed the humanity of war from the all sides. Good guys or bad guys... in the end... they all are not fighting for a cause... they are fighting to stay alive and for each other. All the politics, propaganda and rhetoric get lost for the most part when the bulletts strt to fly and it is all about making it home.

LilHorse
11-11-2004, 06:47 AM
Yes, big S! to the Veterans.

And I agree with Bearcat. We Were Soldiers is a terrific war film. Not only in it's presentation but in it's accuracy in depicting that battle. I had seen a documentary with the soldiers who fought in it, and had read an article covering it, and the movie pretty well followed it to the T. Highly recomended.

LuckyBoy1
11-11-2004, 07:01 AM
I couldn't have said it better than Bearcat here. Yes, it's Veteran's Day here in the U.S. It takes nothing away from my brother's death in Vietnam or any other U.S. soldier's sacrifice to recognize that all soldiers on all sides of the conflict, for the most part were doing what they thought was best at that time. Every Veteran's Day I think yes, of my brother, the U.S, soldiers... and oddly enough (and I was this way before I ever knew of IL-2) I think of the Russian soldiers... not just the WWII ones who suffered in great numbers, but the Russian soldiers lost in Afghanistan and all the other supposedly "Forgotten Battles" that I for one, have not forgotten.

One of the odd things about this game that I love is it's ability to bring the "human factor" into the game. Anyone searching for that one uber plane to defeat all others will usually come away frustrated. After playing the game for a while, you realize, especially when you fly a TB-3 with the planes strapped under its wings that some brave men actually did this in WWII!!!! To those men and all those that came before them and after, I think of them, not just this U.S. Veteran's Day, but every day of the year and especially when I fire up this game!

VW-IceFire
11-11-2004, 07:01 AM
Salute to the veterans! Rememberance Day up here too.

sunflower1
11-11-2004, 07:17 AM
A simple, but not inaccurate way to analyze the Second World War is to say that the allies won because the US never ran out of money and the Russians never ran out of men.

I find it hard not to think about that when I click on the icon.

-HH- Beebop
11-11-2004, 07:57 AM
To every man and woman who fought in conflict, served during time of war or peace, and especially to those who now serve in combat zones.......SALUTE!