PDA

View Full Version : Keep the Head-on Shots! (as an option?)

XyZspineZyX
08-12-2003, 01:59 AM
A mix of pre-patch whining and a suggestion-if-possible.

From what i gather the Rookie setting for AI will have the pilot turn to avoid head to head shoot-outs.

Now i know for most pilots/purposes this is all well and good....

but...

Would it be possible to retain the current AI setting?

Okay, the impending change won't be changed. But would it be possible to have a setting in a config file for people like me who'd like to keep the lethal AI head attack the way it is?

Quotation -

"Second, the I-16's radial engine was air-cooled. Since the Bf109's inline engine was liquid-cooled, a few hits in the radiator was enough to send a Messerschmitt trailing coolant down to the ground. According to the Soviet ace Arkadiy Kovachevich, this was one of the reasons why the I-16 pilots preferred to enter combat with the Bf109 head-on."

from
Black Cross / Red Star, Volume I, by Christer Bergstrom and Andrey Mikhailov.
(page 13)

Just a thought.

Keep up the good work in any event. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-12-2003, 01:59 AM
A mix of pre-patch whining and a suggestion-if-possible.

From what i gather the Rookie setting for AI will have the pilot turn to avoid head to head shoot-outs.

Now i know for most pilots/purposes this is all well and good....

but...

Would it be possible to retain the current AI setting?

Okay, the impending change won't be changed. But would it be possible to have a setting in a config file for people like me who'd like to keep the lethal AI head attack the way it is?

Quotation -

"Second, the I-16's radial engine was air-cooled. Since the Bf109's inline engine was liquid-cooled, a few hits in the radiator was enough to send a Messerschmitt trailing coolant down to the ground. According to the Soviet ace Arkadiy Kovachevich, this was one of the reasons why the I-16 pilots preferred to enter combat with the Bf109 head-on."

from
Black Cross / Red Star, Volume I, by Christer Bergstrom and Andrey Mikhailov.
(page 13)

Just a thought.

Keep up the good work in any event. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-12-2003, 04:52 AM
The problem is less that the AI will engage in Head to Head attacks - and more that FB has them being incredibly good at it. In the original IL2 the AI would engage in head on attacks - and actually miss some times!! /i/smilies/16x16_robot-happy.gif

Salute

Athos

"When first under fire and you're wishful to duck, don't look nor take heed at the man that is struck, be thankful you're living, and trust to your luck, and face to your front like a soldier"
ex. Rudyard Kipling

XyZspineZyX
08-12-2003, 11:25 AM
cascadingstyle wrote:
- - "Second, the I-16's radial engine was air-cooled.
- Since the Bf109's inline engine was liquid-cooled, a
- few hits in the radiator was enough to send a
- Messerschmitt trailing coolant down to the ground.
- According to the Soviet ace Arkadiy Kovachevich,
- this was one of the reasons why the I-16 pilots
- preferred to enter combat with the Bf109 head-on."
-
-
- -
-

that and those guns on the type 16 are weak as hell. you might as well throw rocks at those 109's its much easy to hit the engine in a head on attack.

"diplomacy is saying 'good doggie' until you can find a really BIG rock."

XyZspineZyX
08-12-2003, 12:54 PM
cascadingstyle wrote:
" ...AI will have the pilot turn to avoid head to head shoot-outs..."

There's another problem with this: pilots in slow, tight circling planes can avoid being attacked just by maintaining their enemies in the gunsight. This could impede an AI fast fighter making head-on BnZ attacks against planes like I-153 or PZL P.11!

It would be more desirable to make the AI head-on shots a little less accurate.

- Dux Corvan -

"It doesn't matter how good you are: In a crowded dogfight even the most experienced ace can be downed by a rookie; so, surviving an air war is just a matter of luck. However, an agressive attitude is the only one that gives you a chance to live, for runners are generally chased to death."
(Captain Lacalle, ace of the Republican Air Force during the Spanish Civil War.)

XyZspineZyX
08-12-2003, 02:00 PM
entering combat head on in a i16 against a 109 is the ONLY and last chance a real i16 had to shoot the bugger down b4 he himself was a flaming torch. Of course any 109 would rarely go head to head.. irl i16 was pretty easy pickings for 109 AND brewsters.

So it makes sense the i16 pilot took his chances 50-50 against the 109 instead of the 15-85 that a normal fight would be /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

ps Think about the real-life situation: you turning to meet an enemy fighter head on-- any second u might buy the farm of get gallons of burning gas all over u! - I really have a lot of respect for the guys who really dun it. Must have been a pretty steep adrenaline rush.

XyZspineZyX
08-12-2003, 02:56 PM
Like the original poster noted, the change is only to the rookie settings. Average veteran and ace AI will still use headons frequently...

Seems realistic to me, a REAL rookie in an I-16 wouldn't have managed a headon either.

XyZspineZyX
08-12-2003, 06:42 PM
Athosd wrote:
- The problem is less that the AI will engage in Head
- to Head attacks - and more that FB has them being
- incredibly good at it. In the original IL2 the AI
- would engage in head on attacks - and actually miss
- some times!!

Right. I don't see why they didn't switch back to the Il-2 Ai. No one asked for head-on attacks to be suppresed, we just want them not to be 100% successful, as it was in Il-2.

Why do they always get it the wrong way? /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-12-2003, 06:44 PM
IJG54_Nowi wrote:
- Seems realistic to me, a REAL rookie in an I-16
- wouldn't have managed a headon either.

Don't agree with that. He would actually attack head on, but MISS!

All pilots knew that turning their back to the opponent is the best way to be shot down. So, even with no chance to hit at all, they would do it this way.

XyZspineZyX
08-12-2003, 06:47 PM
The main work over pilot AI:

- Low level AI will not conduct head to head attacks

Now that the open beta is out, i shall have to download it and give it a whirl. See if my worries were misplaced.
Fly a few missions without it, a few with. Compare.
Etc.

Still if my request wouldn't be too many lines of code...
If it could be considered... you know. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

i remember when i first start flying in IL-2. I could barely take off without major mishap on the strip.

So when i got my nose pointed at an opponent my instinct was to attack even head-on because there was no way in blue blazes i'd be able to do enough fancy flying to get another chance. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Now i am still a terrible shot but thanks to the insanely cool Red Falcons mission (spoiler - you know... the one where you start off alone in mid-flight in a storm flying headlong into a dozen enemies?) i am a bit better at the flying thing.

post script - Oleg & Company - if it's just about the quality of the aiming, then my wish becomes irrelevant of course.

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 09:18 PM
unmitigated bumpery.