PDA

View Full Version : Why am I not a Captain?

Lassen
04-12-2005, 11:49 AM
Why is it my rank is Lieutenant Jnr? Shouldnt I be Captain? I seem to have officers outranking me!

Animal_Al51
04-12-2005, 12:11 PM
Easy man. The term "Captain" applies to the guy in charge of the boat regardless of the rank. For instance, most sub commanders in the US Navy are Commanders (O-5s) not Captains (O-6s) but they are referred to as Captains as long as their in charge of the boat. Nothing personal, man...

Lassen
04-12-2005, 12:15 PM
Thought it mas be something like this.. no need to write my letter to the boss then http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ottokretchmer
04-12-2005, 12:42 PM
yeah, that sucks ***. my chief engineer outranks me. thats not right! lol http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Paul_K
04-12-2005, 01:02 PM
It raises the question: Did U-boat commanders always hold the highest rank aboard the boat ? In a lot of other armed forces it was very common for the commander of a unit to be outranked by his crew members...RAF Bomber Command for instance, where the navigator could be a Flight Lieutenant while the pilot ( the plane's commander ) could be a Flying Officer, or Warrant Officer, or even Flight Sergeant.

quillan
04-12-2005, 04:52 PM
I couldn't say about the Kriegsmarine, but in the US Navy, the boat Captain must be navigation/command qualified. An engineer, who might technically outrank the overall commander, might not be able to assume command of the ship. Captain, as a rank, is different in the navy than in the other branches. In the US Army/Air Force/Marines, the lowest officer is a 2nd Lieutenant, followed by 1st Lt, then Captain. Beyond there lies Major, Lieutenant Colonel, Colonel, and the General ranks above that. In the Navy, it starts with Ensign, followed by Lt. Jr Grade, Lt. Sr Grade, Lt Commander, Commander, and Captain. Captain as a naval rank is equivalent of Colonel as an army rank, a senior staff officer position. Usually only major warships have an actual Captain in command, as I understand it.

Johnny_JG2
04-12-2005, 05:02 PM
Yeah, our Captain on my sub was a Commander. The Commander of our entire submarine squadron was a real Captain. So in those cases- Commanders are Captains, and Captains are Commanders. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Aircraft Carriers' Captains are actual Captains, not sure what other US Navy ships have actual Captains. I'm sure when we reactivated the Battleships in the late 80's they were prob Captains.

SDG73
04-12-2005, 07:11 PM
Yes, you are correct Johnny. BB's have Captns also. My dad was stationed on the USS Wisconsin(BB 64)when she was recomissioned in 88'.I remember my Dad laughing about the Captn. Blesch was his name i believe,because he ran the ship aground not even a mile out of port.Got a nice blown up aireal picture of it with its screws churning up the mud in the bay.got an even better one with the 16's firing and you can see the rounds leaving the gun. frickin awesome!

LoboWulf
04-12-2005, 07:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SDG73:
Yes, you are correct Johnny. BB's have Captns also. My dad was stationed on the USS Wisconsin(BB 64)when she was recomissioned in 88'.I remember my Dad laughing about the Captn. Blesch was his name i believe,because he ran the ship aground not even a mile out of port.Got a nice blown up aireal picture of it with its screws churning up the mud in the bay.got an even better one with the 16's firing and you can see the rounds leaving the gun. frickin awesome! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What was your dad's rate? My brother was an OS2 on the recommission crew and did the Gulf War cruise, which I am sure your pop did as well. Ask him if he knew OS2 Wilson Smith (he worked in Strike). I am active duty Navy, 20 years, Chief Petty Officer (I retire in July).

LoboWulf
04-12-2005, 07:18 PM
I will say this about today's US Navy....you will not see the skipper (Commanding Officer) of a boat or a base or a unit outranked by anyone in his command.

Occasionally, on the aviation side of the house (which I have been for 20 years) you will have a "plane commander" or "aircraft commander" be junior to his co-pilot and/or crew, but even then not often.

SDG73
04-12-2005, 08:06 PM
Cool Lobowulf!Ill ask him.My pop was a corpsman,HM1 Lance Graham, so Iam sure if your bro was on board at that time ,he knew him.He retired just before Gulf deployment. I got a bro thats been in for 22yrs. now and is trying to make Sr. Chief before he retires.Hes also a corpsmen/deep sea diver currently stationed in Guam....lucky bastard!Some beautiful wrecks to dive on.Got another bro who was an AME for A-7's years ago.Long line of Naval service in the family but as for me,I decided there was better money to be had outside the military.Was gonna break tradition and join the Marines,shoulda seen the look on my dads face http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif Congrats! on the upcoming retirement http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SubSerpent
04-12-2005, 10:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LoboWulf:
I will say this about today's US Navy....you will not see the skipper (Commanding Officer) of a boat or a base or a unit outranked by anyone in his command.

Occasionally, on the aviation side of the house (which I have been for 20 years) you will have a "plane commander" or "aircraft commander" be junior to his co-pilot and/or crew, but even then not often. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not exactly true but in most cases you are right. I am currently active duty Navy and I have seen what we call 'FLAG' ships that an Admiral is attached to but an actual Captain is in charge of. I guess the Admiral sit back and enjoy the ride. Most of those types of ships however, require the Captain of the ship to be an actual 'full bird' Captain. I am sure when the Admiral wants the CO of the ship do something it is done to the Admiral's liking almost all the time. But, technically if the CO feels that his ship is in jeopordy he can take matters into his own hands since the responibilty is all his. Also, if an officer abord a ship that is junior to the CO ends up becoming senior in rank he is usually either sent to a different command where he will be junior to the CO again or if he qualifies he will assume his own command.

LoboWulf
04-13-2005, 04:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SubSerpent:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LoboWulf:

Occasionally, on the aviation side of the house (which I have been for 20 years) you will have a "plane commander" or "aircraft commander" be junior to his co-pilot and/or crew, but even then not often. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not exactly true but in most cases you are right. I am currently active duty Navy and I have seen what we call 'FLAG' ships that an Admiral is attached to but an actual Captain is in charge of. I guess the Admiral sit back and enjoy the ride. Most of those types of ships however, require the Captain of the ship to be an actual 'full bird' Captain. I am sure when the Admiral wants the CO of the ship do something it is done to the Admiral's liking almost all the time. But, technically if the CO feels that his ship is in jeopordy he can take matters into his own hands since the responibilty is all his. Also, if an officer abord a ship that is junior to the CO ends up becoming senior in rank he is usually either sent to a different command where he will be junior to the CO again or if he qualifies he will assume his own command. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But in this case (of an admiral or above taking his flag aboard a ship) the Commanding Officer of the ship is still in charge of that ship. The flag officer is usually in charge of the battle group or some higher entity, or might just be embarked for the trip, but he won't be actually part of the ships company. He will be attached to a higher echelon command.

What I said in the first post however was "...under his command". Although technically it could happen, it is very unlikely that anyone under the CO's command will be promoted to a rank higher than the skipper. Maybe a if the CO is a full commander (O-5) you might see an officer in the Supply Corps or Medical Corps etc get promoted to Captain (O-6). However, if the CO is already an O-6 (full bird Captain) he would obviously still be senior by virtue of time in grade and the fact that he is a Line Officer.

Anyway, you point is well taken.