PDA

View Full Version : More tutorials?

Slonor
12-09-2005, 11:21 AM
I read all the tutorials about torpedoes available in the game, but I still can't master it. I have successfully manually targetted (usually play at 70% realism) some ships, but they were weak cargo ships. Using the periscope to target ships is rather inaccurate since one mistake can completely screw you up. And, if identifying cargo ships weren't difficult enough, identifying warships is even harder! You have to get really close to see their flag, and even closer to be able to match the picture, and EVEN CLOSER if it's one of those 3 destroyers that look practically identical to one another! All this gets even more impossible if the warship is moving in an eratic manner, and even more difficult if the warship is heading at you!

So, how do you guys do it? Do you use TDC, parescope aiming or both? How do you accurately use TDC anyway? Is it just for guessing? What about ship identification? Is it worthless? Is there a way to do it without the parescope and just time the ship movement (since you can use ruler and other tool to measure ship angle in map mode)?

Slonor
12-09-2005, 11:21 AM
I read all the tutorials about torpedoes available in the game, but I still can't master it. I have successfully manually targetted (usually play at 70% realism) some ships, but they were weak cargo ships. Using the periscope to target ships is rather inaccurate since one mistake can completely screw you up. And, if identifying cargo ships weren't difficult enough, identifying warships is even harder! You have to get really close to see their flag, and even closer to be able to match the picture, and EVEN CLOSER if it's one of those 3 destroyers that look practically identical to one another! All this gets even more impossible if the warship is moving in an eratic manner, and even more difficult if the warship is heading at you!

So, how do you guys do it? Do you use TDC, parescope aiming or both? How do you accurately use TDC anyway? Is it just for guessing? What about ship identification? Is it worthless? Is there a way to do it without the parescope and just time the ship movement (since you can use ruler and other tool to measure ship angle in map mode)?

vanjast
12-10-2005, 11:34 AM
you having a hard time Cadet ?? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Play the game on settings where everything is automated for you. While targeting a ship flip between the screens and monitor what's going on - readings, bearing AOB, etc...
It's just a matter of acustomising yourself to all the equipment, and then working out a way that best suits you to use it.

Good luck
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Slonor
12-10-2005, 01:30 PM
Well, for one of the exams, I used a calculator to calculate the speed of the boat. Since I knew the time my torpedo would arrive at the point where the ship will be, all I had to do was find what time to launch the torpedo so the boat's (center's) time to arrival at that point would match my torp's arrival at that point. Both torpedoes scored near center. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Still, it's quite difficult to do that since you can't see your Uboat's torpedo's direction on the map. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I also don't get the whole identify ship to get speed/range thing. I can get the range manually with a ruler on the map in five seconds and I can get the speed with a simple calculation. What is the formula that the computer uses?

Jose.MaC
12-10-2005, 03:07 PM
Well, if you want as much realist as you can, you MUST use periscope or UZO. Is a trigonometric process, well described in any trigonometric treatise. Remember that real captains never had this kind of God's eye map you can have. So using TDC for aiming is a NO-NO.

With destroyers, take it easy: all the similar destroyers have similar heigh and draft. You must pay attention to the bridge superestructure, number of fumes and deck guns, since they easily show the class of the ship. Anyway, you can say that they're about 28 meters high and get the range, your error will be small.

You can control the aiming of your ship pointing the periscope to the required direction, and turning the buttons in the TDC view. Actually, those are suposed to be used for imputing the data to the torpedoes.

About the formula the game use, is simple: just cheating -has already all the info

vanjast
12-10-2005, 03:39 PM
No no no, and another NO.
What you must only be concerned about is :-
Speed and AOB of target, and then your Target Solution. Plus Range!!

Speed and AOB of target:-
This you get from your sonar operator and scope/uzo. Or you can calculate the speed from the target screws rev-per-mnute.(hydrophone)

Target Solution:-
Those little grey numbers to the right in Scope/Uzo view that change as the target crosses your bow/stern.

Range:-
Depending on the situation 400m -> 3000m (fire a spread)

Fire your torps when AOB is within 20% leading angle of 90% for Impact. Magnetic can be any angle as long as you get the torp under the ship.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif