PDA

View Full Version : Low forum activity. Think about it Ubi

hanz_h
07-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Ever since Far Cry 3 was made public it does seem that after a initial burst of posts, forum activity has gone to little to no activity.

Why Ubisoft do you think hardly anyone takes the trouble to post on these forums, be active and contribute despite this being the third part in the franchise?

Food for thought I suppose...

A successfull franchise starts with a successfull core of dedicated fans. Small in numbers sure, but big in importance. Make them happy is what I'd do.

Achilles

Martythemerc
07-04-2011, 10:34 PM
Going on a month UBI - time for more crumbs.

Gump The Great
07-04-2011, 10:48 PM
Mr. Shade has been posting quite regularly. That has to count for something. It is still too early for the Devs to start talking, they wouldn't want to give very much away a year before the game comes out. they will be very quiet for the next 6 months, just watch.

Martythemerc
07-05-2011, 02:02 AM
I hope they're saying right now:

"oops, let's take out that one ....oh, oh...that one! put it in"! "Ok surrettes - no spikey indicators"

kind of thing ....

Nocturnal-Vault
07-05-2011, 03:51 AM
I was actually surprised that the board has as many threads as it does. I havent heard much about the new game and was shocked to see how far it has come at e3.

Fingers crossed that the info released will pick up- it looks like the next few months will be huge. New AC and Far Cry on the horizon.

Yippee!!

hanz_h
07-05-2011, 03:28 PM
I wouldn't call an average 5 to 10 posts a day an awful lot...

Achilles

o0Kman0o
07-05-2011, 03:46 PM
there has been 1/2 videos of the game, So there is not much to talk about.
There's a whole topic on ideas.
So finding things to post is rather hard.
When they release new footage then the topic will open up again but at the minute everyone is sucked dry.

Ilovepho
07-05-2011, 04:00 PM
They've just announed it 1 month ago. Expect to have some more infos in 3 months.

Black_Widow9
07-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Until we have more information to give to you there isn't a lot to post about. The initial large response was from the information revealed at E3. Far Cry does have quite a dedicated fan base and we realize this. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
I'm not sure what it is you want us to be thinking about. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif
We have definitely been reading and passing on everything you guys have been posting. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Poetic03
07-05-2011, 07:58 PM
The game was just announced and isn't going to be released for a year! How much active forums are you really expecting at this point... Far Cry 3 is probably one of my most anticipated games of next year now.

CuZtds_Lst_Stnd
07-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Hanz is an oldschool FC1 player, Clan leader and forum regular. He actually was part of the team that produced patch 1.4 in conjunction with Crytek.

I think he is refering to the forums activity more than the info released by UBI? Am I right mate?

If so he is right... this is the quietest I have seen an FC forum at this stage in development.

I am sure it will pick up as more info is relased but it would be interesting to see if the overall UBI forum traffic is down these days compared to 04, perhaps people are getting all they need for now from FB and Twitter?

Certainly only a few of the original FC players post here now, many feeling disillusioned with the direction that the franchise was taken in with FC2, and a lot where stunned by the Dev teams arrogance when design decisions where questioned, paraphrased below
Pre release "You play this game your way"
Post release response to criticism "You are playing it wrong..."

One of the things that caught my eye/ear in the 1st set of interviews around E3 was that the team had looked at what worked and what hadnt, that they wanted to build on the positives and address the negatives. That to me gives hope for the future...

Like most here I am waiting to hear more details on what has changed, and most importantly if the Multiplayer will feature FCs signature mode "Assault"...

I am sure that come release time my inbox will be overloaed just like the old days

Mr_Shade
07-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by CuZtds_Lst_Stnd:

I am sure that come release time my inbox will be overloaed just like the old days I would expect it will...

To be honest - the forums as a whole seem a little low on traffic..

Even titles just released, such as Child of Eden - have only prompted 2 or 3 threads in the General forum - and not that many over on xbox.com

I wouldn't say that was due to the game - since everyone seems to agree it's excellent - I just think things are generally slow..

At present - we are kinda in limbo...

The game is far enough advanced to be announced - but details and content are thin on the ground..

This limbo is weird for many.. with people spotting things asked for 2 or so years ago - but many new members posting things they want in the game.

It's hard to explain to some, that at present - the core design of the game, may already be done - so a lot of the new guys 'suggestions' may be a little late to the party..

Which tbh I think is kinda right.. I hope this comes over correctly - and is not a dig at new members.

I would rather have the core community from FC2 and FC1 making suggestions and the devs using them as the player base to aim for - than Call of Duty fans who saw it at E3..

Not to say Call of Duty is a bad game, or the fans are - since as long as they like FC - I like them http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

The team working on the game, are some of the best people I think to make this game the best it can be..

Far Cry 2 forums, still see traffic - and will contiue to even after FC3 releases - so until there is enough of a 'game' for those people to jump ship and start posting 100% here, I think we won't see that much traffic or threads - apart from those suggestion threads http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

So...

Until there is a huge amount of new news.. I think we have to settle for the fact that at least we have a forum - some games, only get a forum a month before the game - or a name change the week before http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

SABRETOOTH1971
07-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Just release info and/or a video about the editor and this place will be booming. Simples. No offence to the last game but you must realise the strength of the last game was the editor and the sp rarely got a looking in appart from this is broke, that needs fixing, why did you think this was a good idea and so on. The editor got nothing but praise all in all. SO i say again some info on the editor can put peoples minds to rest and get the cogs moving.

Hobodealer
07-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by SABRETOOTH1971: the sp rarely got a looking in appart from this is broke, that needs fixing, why did you think this was a good idea and so on. Far Cry 2's story mode was and still is one of my favourite single player experiences ever.

CaptainDEEZ
07-06-2011, 06:37 PM
They're probably waiting on the next big gaming event to let any more news out. Maybe Gamercon or something else?

hanz_h
07-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Hanz is an oldschool FC1 player, Clan leader and forum regular. He actually was part of the team that produced patch 1.4 in conjunction with Crytek.

Thanks for the introduction Cuz http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. After my dramatic farewell (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1521068375/m/5271095427?r=5271095427#5271095427) over 2 years ago, I thought with FC3 coming up it was a nice time to pop up on these boards again.

I think he is refering to the forums activity more than the info released by UBI? Am I right mate?
That was exactly what I was referring to and to reply to this quote:

Far Cry does have quite a dedicated fan base and we realize this.
I'm not sure what it is you want us to be thinking about.
The point I was trying to make is that I hope Ubisoft realises why hardly anyone bothers to post here. Far Cry 2 has done a lot of damage. Sure people on consoles loved the map editor because they dont get a lot of that on consoles, but otherwise (imho) the game didn't help the franchise at all.

So that dedicated fanbase you think Far Cry still has, well.... I personally think Far Cry 3 will have to proove itself all over again and no 'fanbase' will stand behind it before they are convinced you'll have a great product this time around.

And for the product to be great you'll need some ingredients.

Easiest thing for Ubisoft to do is to make a very solid unforgetable singleplayer experience and you'll probably do well. All you need for that is better gameplay, because the problems weren't in the graphics department with Far Cry 2. Problem with FPS games though that only have strong singleplayer is that they are forgotten about after a few months. The attention span for those kind of games is short.

If Ubisoft doesn't want to do just well but if they want to do great and make a lasting impression, well they'll need a great multiplayer as well. For that an awful lot needs to be done better to be honest, especially for the PC community.

Don't get me wrong, I want Ubisoft to do great with Far Cry, but I'm very sceptical if they can pull off a great multiplayer experience. I can't say Ubisoft in general has a great track record as far as multiplayer goes. And by multiplayer I don't mean co-op (which would be a great addition too), but true multiplayer. For example, and correct me if I'm wrong here, but I dont think Ubisoft ever put a game on the market (produced in house) that was supported with dedicated servers for PC.

To be honest - the forums as a whole seem a little low on traffic..
I can't really judge about this and maybe your right. However if I compare this forum to forums of your biggest competitors Ubisoft overall is probably falling behind.

Again I would love Ubisoft to do great on this game and for Far Cry to become as big and successull as Assassin's Creed is for Ubi, so don't get me wrong. I'm just being skeptic hoping this helps somehow to prevent the same mistakes as made in the past.

Achilles

FlyNChipmunks
07-09-2011, 11:10 AM
This is my food for thought...

I believe the reason there is little activity on the forums is because Far Cry 2 was a let down for a lot of gamers. Most gave up and never came back while the few dedicated stayed. I think when the third installment comes out it might take awhile to catch on and those player who left during the 2nd game might come back seeing how UBI got their act together and the 3rd game is much Improved. Hopefully UBI will stick around and support this game this time around instead of bailing out on it like they did in FC2.

Szocik87
07-09-2011, 11:46 AM
We have summer and peoples spending this time with family or friends, holiday time you know.

UBI forum is fine I see a lot new posts and new topics (usually same, thanks for spam http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif).

When peoples back from holiday, you will see forum activity http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.