PDA

View Full Version : Why is assassins creed so addicting, and why did we buy it in the first place?

freddie_1897
11-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Sure, we're always asking ourselves "what happens next? what is desmonds mission?" that is what humans do, we think about the future. But knowing the roots is equally important, so I ask you this; why did you buy assassins creed in the first place? Why do you keep playing it? What about the game makes you want to know more? why is it so unique in the video game industry. And how do you think it could be improved?

Sarari
11-12-2011, 01:42 PM
I have a lot to say about this http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Here's how I first played it: In the summer of 2009, I was playing Saints Row 2 and I was addicted to it, but I at that time have been playing it for a year straight and got bored. Then I remembered my friend let me borrow his AC1 game, and I thought to myself, "What the heck, why not give it a try." So I popped in the disc and that's when I fell in love with the game.

Idk what makes me play the game so much. I guess just the epicness that it brings us is just fun to play. The story of the game is also incredible and the secrets that they have make me wanna know.

I don't find it unique in the video game industry. If you compare AC series with a lot of other big games out there, AC is just another ordinary game, except for huge fans like me and others.

Oh man, how I could think it could be improved? Man, where do I start with this one. Well, first off, I have to say, they're making the game a lot more unrealistic. The machines are partial reason, but I'm talking about the combat. I can say with disappointment that I cannot explain why it is less realistic, but it just is in my eyes. The game is meant to be fun, yes, but in some ways it's over done. If anyone out there can elaborate on what I just said, please do so, because I myself would like an explanation for myself :P

eagleforlife1
11-12-2011, 02:19 PM
I love both history and video games but didn't buy AC1 originally because a he time I didn't have a PS3 or XBox and I don't lke playing games on the PC. However, I was looking up AC2 and asked for a PS3 for Christmas, but didn't expect one. However I did get one and immediately bght AC1 and haven't looked back since; now enjoying ACR.

Jexx21
11-12-2011, 02:28 PM
The war machines actually are realistic, seeing as they were designed by Leonardo and there are copies of them using the exact plans and they work. Even the parachute that you used was remade exactly and it works.

The bombs also existed back then.

The combat isn't unrealistic, and I don't get why you think it is.

Silvermoth
11-12-2011, 02:43 PM
I just thought Assassin's Creed 1 looked so beautiful. I couldn't resist beauty like that.

Once I played it and was overjoyed to find out the story and gameplay were just as good I was an addict for life. Once I know the characters, I just have to know how things work out for them.

I also love the historical characters. It's fun but you take something away from it too.

How do I think it can be improved? Ummmm...not sure. A higher profile female assassin would be cool. It's not like the series needs anything though.

Sarari
11-12-2011, 04:28 PM
@Jexx http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvFV9qdiMoM skip to 0:59 and also 1:07. I don't think that he should be able to punch that far.I think that'll explain some of that Beowulf unrealistic strength. Ezio is not a man born with super-strength. He's an ordinary man who is more skilled in combat. They're making him look more like an epic character who is the strongest and never makes mistakes.

I just realized that that's the reason why I like Altair more. He's not a perfect character. He made mistakes and that makes me feel like I can relate to him better. Not because he's some playboy who likes girls.

RedSpider
11-12-2011, 04:33 PM
I got AC1 for the PS3 in 2008. I had wanted it for aaaages, simply from seeing the advert for it on TV. However, I didn't have a PS3, and didn't get one until Christmas 2008, so beforehand, I brought AC on the DS. I loved it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/inlove.gif
When I finally got my PS3 it was one of the first games I brought, and the rest, as they say, is history. It, along with GTA, is my faveourite game series. It's great also, because I'm a history nut http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif I have followed the franchise since, and will continue to do so. I have no completed each game numerous times. It's just such an amazing series, and everything about it stays with you, even when you aren't playing it.
Ummm...I don't really know how it can improve. Although, despite how I have become attached to the lead characters, a new chapter in a couple of years would be most welcome http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

roostersrule2
11-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Yea screw darkness it sucks I'm just going grey as no spoilers have been posted and it looks like none are as I will get mine in 2 days as I bought it in stores anyway.

It was mid last year when my brothers friend came to stay with us and he brought his Xbox and one game he had was AC2. He let me play it and I just thought wow, it was the first 360 game I played properly. However after a couple of weeks he left and I had only half finished it. So for Christmas that year I got an Xbox and a couple days later I bought Assassins Creed 1. The graphics and everything blew me away and after the ending I was like WTF as I new a couple of the symbols. So I got AC2 and finished it and I was like more WTF then I was spoiled ACB's ending but I still got it and I was like triple WTF. Now I've learned most things about the story right up until ACR and have fell in love with this amazing series.

Acrimonious_Nin
11-12-2011, 04:56 PM
I needed a game for a quick assassin fix,if you will...and kinda got hooked to the whole mystery behind it....and most likely am hooked for life http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif and i have NO PROBLEM as long as i get to assassinate some friggin templars AAAAAHHHHHHHH lmao yeah http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif and run around mindlessly for hours....its like a book you love and read over and over and over and its always good lol

Sparty2020
11-12-2011, 05:00 PM
I've always been a history geek. Greek History, Roman History, Medieval, Renaissance, Enlightenment, etc... I love history, especially the wars and assassinations. When I heard that AC was a game where you play as a Hashashin in the middle of the Third Crusade assassinating important historical characters I was interested, but turnt slightly off since as an Atheist I didn't want to hear a bunch of Christians and Muslims calling each other "Heretic! Infidel!" for the next dozen or so hours (you know... back when games were longer than an episode of south park). Then Jade said that the main character had a Christian mother and an Islamic father but he himself was an atheist.

After that I got interested in the series. Read up on the people making it. Patrice Desilets? Corey May? Ubisoft Montreal? You mean the people who made my beloved Prince of Persia and Splinter Cell series were making this game?! After that I just followed the hype train to its destination which culminated in a midnight release.

The reason I think the AC series is unique is because it doesn't owe allegiance to any group. It is a game about religion, philosophy, conspiracy, and history (so much sweet sweet history) without limiting itself to any one perspective. AC2 especially expanded on this with resource management, art paintings, and Leonardo's little-known inventions. The AC series is the type of game that the more you know going in the more you get coming out.

A way they can make the series better? I honestly don't know. Enemies that block more, attack faster, actually follow and hunt you down, etc. The Papal Guard were great examples as they had the strength of Brutes, the agility of Agiles, the tenacity of Captains, and the ranged attack of archers. Problem was they were almost never found outside of story sequences. I hope the Janissary and the Abstergo Recruits (us in multiplayer) would make things more difficult combat wise.

Ezio292012
11-12-2011, 05:06 PM
A friend of mine rented AC2 then he lent it to me i fell in love with the game so i went a bough it since then i love this game.

Altair661
11-12-2011, 05:14 PM
The reason I wanted to buy Assassin's Creed. Well for one I hadn't gotten an xbox until March of 2007. So for 5 months I was left in agony dying to play it. Finally I went to my cousins houes we played it like crazy. He eventually fell asleep and I played through nearly more than half of the game.

Eventually I got the game myself and played through it twice. I actually beat it 5 times until AC2 came out. Played the absolute crap out of that. I beat AC1 everytime before the next AC game came out. So I've beaten AC1 a whopping 8 times. And I never get tired of it.

Why do I love it so much? The story. The story is so rich and I love twists and cliff hangers. Not to mention the characters. Altair specifically. For he is my most favorite character and Assassin's Creed is my favorite game of all time. Nothing will beat it, ever. Unless Ubisoft manages to screw up the entire series. But.... that won't happen.

And please... no more batons...

Animuses
11-12-2011, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Jexx21:
The war machines actually are realistic, seeing as they were designed by Leonardo and there are copies of them using the exact plans and they work.
The machines didn't work though. I remember reading somewhere that da Vinci purposely designed them so they wouldn't work.

twenty_glyphs
11-12-2011, 05:52 PM
I was looking forward to Mass Effect because I was a big fan of Knights of the Old Republic. During that summer and fall I saw a few preview articles for Assassin's Creed and it sounded interesting, so I put it on my Christmas list since I was looking forward to Mass Effect more at the time. When the reviews came out, IGN gave it a 7.5 and it just no longer sounded that interesting to me, so I took it off my Christmas list. Meanwhile, I kept noticing the game on the shelf at the store and wondering if I should get it. One day in January of 2008 I saw it on sale and was in the mood to play something new, so I got it.

It just felt so unique to me and the atmosphere of the 12th century really pulled me in. The artwork is great and the atmosphere in the cities is engrossing with the heralds and the crowds. The movement mechanics also felt pretty unique yet still natural. Once I got to the end of the game and saw the 2012 plot line, it became very intriguing to me.

I still didn't give it much more thought after that. I watched several previews of AC2 and picked it up on release day, but I was not hyped up for it at all. That game pulled me in even more with the expansion of the story, the new Renaissance setting and more stuff to do in the game. The Truth and the Vault scene really sucked me in with their mystery.

I really started getting hyped for Brotherhood in the couple of months before it came out. I thought its improved game mechanics were great and the ending made me just have to know what was going on and solidified it as my favorite game franchise.

I think what makes the game so great is the great historical settings and artwork that go with them, the science fiction/historical/conspiracy story, and the fun open world gameplay with great locomotion system and continuous addition of things to play with in that sandbox. To top it off, the level of detail in things like the Database Entries, puzzles and the fantastic music just rounds out the experience.

Jexx21
11-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Animuses:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jexx21:
The war machines actually are realistic, seeing as they were designed by Leonardo and there are copies of them using the exact plans and they work.
The machines didn't work though. I remember reading somewhere that da Vinci purposely designed them so they wouldn't work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was in the book by Oliver Bowden.

Animuses
11-12-2011, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Jexx21:
That was in the book by Oliver Bowden.
That may have been, but he did leave errors in his design for the tank. Look it up.

SleezeRocker
11-12-2011, 08:38 PM
I liked Assasisn's Creed since somehow the conept intersted me. Back when the Templar Trailer released back in 07, someting baout it spoke to me "Killing important evil people to change a possible future outcome" somehow..it felt like "my type of game" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I could possibly explain more but just don't know how to word it lol

Jexx21
11-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Sarari:
@Jexx http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvFV9qdiMoM skip to 0:59 and also 1:07. I don't think that he should be able to punch that far.I think that'll explain some of that Beowulf unrealistic strength. Ezio is not a man born with super-strength. He's an ordinary man who is more skilled in combat. They're making him look more like an epic character who is the strongest and never makes mistakes.

I just realized that that's the reason why I like Altair more. He's not a perfect character. He made mistakes and that makes me feel like I can relate to him better. Not because he's some playboy who likes girls.

O.O

Punching someone back a yard/meter/3 feet is NOT Beowulf strength. And that's all I saw in terms of punching people back a length.

In absolutely none of those animations did I see something that I don't think can be done by a real person. In fact, they have to do motion capture for most animations as it makes it easier to make the animations, so..

And Ezio HAS made mistakes, like not killing Rodrigo Borgia, or being an *** to Vieri when he did the kill. Not to mention all those mistakes he made with Christina. Honestly, the only real mistake that I have seen Altair made is when he broke the tenets of the Creed.

Oh, then Ezio's personal mess up with his sister, with being the over-protective brother even at the age of 40. He still saw Claudia as a kid, even though she was only a couple years younger than him. Ezio made a lot of personal mistakes with his own life, not that many in his Assassin life, besides not killing Rodrigo. Honestly, I still see Ezio as more of an actual person, while I view Altair as a robot practically. Maybe it was just the way he was voiced in Assassin's Creed 1. I like his Revelations voice much more. He sounds like he has a lot more personality.

I personally think that you are just blanketing what love you have for AC1 over everything about it and blanketing some of the hate you have for AC2/ACB over everything about it. I admit, I sometimes do that too (except in the opposite way, with hate for AC1 and love for AC2/ACB), but I try to be objective.

Sarari
11-12-2011, 09:16 PM
When I said mistakes, I meant ones that cause mayhem or at least a lot of harm to something. Not killing the Pope is one, but I don't know anything else. I think not killing Cesare and Rodrigo in the castle was also a mistake, but it really didn't do much. Just continued the Borgia's raid for a little bit longer.

And I didn't have much problem with AC2, except for their animations. Everybody looked like cartoons or caricatures.

Jexx21
11-12-2011, 09:23 PM
The longer that the Borgia were in power the more of a chance there was for the Templars to gain their power back. That's a huge mistake, not a small one >.>

And any way, that wasn't a mistake seeing as Rodrigo was out of the Castello at the time and Cesare left fairly quickly after they got there.

fyiByas
11-13-2011, 03:20 AM
I love Sandbox games and this series has a nostalgic feeling to it. Whether from the Crusades to the Renaissance.

AC1 was like fancy bread. Sure its plain but you can always spice it with some olive oil or make a tasty sandwitch. At times it can be stale but you can always go for more bread later.

AC2 to now just added new things... most of which I love. Especially Secret Locations.

I just love climbing buildings, finding secrets/collectables, exploring a vast world with a story behind it.

ace3001
11-13-2011, 05:15 AM
I'm a huge fan of Prince of Persia. When I heard that Assassin's Creed was like that but with free roam, I had to try it. Thought it was a boring game with a great story. Though it was boring, I just HAD to buy Assassin's Creed II for the story. And then, I fell in love. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

hva_899
11-13-2011, 06:02 AM
First time i heard about it was when i was listening to two of my friends back at school talking about on how to assassinate William of Montferrat. I found it intresting from what they said, but didn't get hooked enough to go and buy it.

So a year and abit went by and it was June 2009 and i had got bored of all my games. Ended up scrolling through Amazon to look for something new, then came across AC1, it was only 9 and i remembered back to when my friends were speaking about it. I thought i'll give this game ago as they seemed to like it. Watched some gameplay on YouTube so i could get some kind of idea what it was like and i couldn't wait to get it.

The day it came it was all thundering, lightning and flooding outside, so it kind of set the mood for me strangely. I put the disc in and i was blown away, i was hooked for life.

I couldn't get enough, i love sandbox games and the the places we can explore are just amazing, was nothing like any other game for me. I also wanted a game that was close combat at the time and this ticked the box. I got hooked on the storyline and i had to see where it went from there. So ever since then i've been a big AC fan, played all the games and stuff and now i'm looking foward to getting ACR on Tuesday.